PDA

View Full Version : Pin Codes???

Bay Lake
08-12-2013, 09:47 PM
I keep hearing people I know say they get pin codes send to them for free dining or room discounts. How does one qualify for these.

Polynesian Dweller
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
If you have an account on Disney.com or other Disney site you "qualify". Pins are marketing tools and you get one if you meet the marketing criteria for the promotion and only Disney knows what they are.

Some years I've gotten several others none like last year. This year got one last week. All you can do is register on a Disney account so they have your email and/or address then sit back and hope you meet the marketing criteria.

Bay Lake
08-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks. I have a Disney account and my wife orders off of the Disney store online. We will just play the waiting game.

VWL Mom
08-13-2013, 07:28 AM
I've gotten 2 in the last few months to my email account but they're not for me :( One was for my son's ex-GF and one was for him. Sure, target the kid with no money to call his own. :confused:

faline
08-13-2013, 07:50 AM
I've gotten 2 in the last few months to my email account but they're not for me :( One was for my son's ex-GF and one was for him. Sure, target the kid with no money to call his own. :confused:

Yes, I've also gotten pin codes for family members who have traveled with me to Disney World - such as my son-in-law and my sister-in-law. I just forward them along as I get them even if I know they are not planning a trip! I've also gotten some - not so many recently as I used to get but I have gotten them both by snail mail and via e-mail.

As far as "qualifying", there is no way to qualify for the pin codes. It's basically about being in Disney's data base either from a former trip, having an on-line Disney account, or ordering a vacation planning DVD. Beyond that, only Disney knows the criteria they use to offer pin codes.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-13-2013, 08:24 AM
It seems to me every year I order a planning DVD I get PIN codes sent to me. I don't know if that's why it just goes that way:blush:

Ms. Mode
08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Not to worry about the pin codes; we have received several (ususally with dates we couldn't use) but it always seems that the same offer comes out for the general public a month or two later, so it's really not that big a deal.

Right now you can get the same free dining we got with a pin code. :thumbsup:

vicster
08-13-2013, 02:03 PM
It seems to me every year I order a planning DVD I get PIN codes sent to me. I don't know if that's why it just goes that way:blush:

I've done the same thing. After I order the DVD I seem to magically get a pin code in the mail. Maybe that's the secret!

Bay Lake
08-13-2013, 02:41 PM
I order the vacation planning dvd every year, even on years that I don't go down. But nothing. Just not lucky

Polynesian Dweller
08-13-2013, 10:54 PM
I've done the same thing. After I order the DVD I seem to magically get a pin code in the mail. Maybe that's the secret!

Nope, that's not it. I've never ordered the DVD and I get them. It's just whatever Disney's marketing criteria is for a promotion and only they know what those are.

hauntedmansiongirl
08-19-2013, 01:48 AM
A year ago, my email received a pin code. It worked for our dates and I was all excited to use it. It just said "--- family" we have a special deal for you." When my TA went to book it, the code was connected to my FIL name, who we had travelled with 2 years prior. They wouldn't let me use it and got quite belligerent about it. I was irked and upset by this, as we travel to WDW often and didn't think I deserved that treatment. Anyway, long story short, it escalated pretty high in Disney management, and eventually they let me use the pin code, along with a Disney gift card (which I thought was very generous! And unnecessary, but I was grateful nonetheless!).

After a bunch of phone calls, I got to know the Disney manager pretty well. I asked her how pin codes are distributed. She said that 1) you have to have your name and email in the Disney database. 2) they try to pick families that haven't been to Disney in the past year or two 3)it helps if you haven't been to Disney in the last 2 years and you "save" trips in your account or order a vacation planning video. I guess that explains why we haven't had one in our own names- we go to Disney too often.

From a financial perspective, I guess it makes sense. Why give discounts to entice people to travel who are going to go regardless of the deal that is out. However, it saddens me to think that Disney doesn't seem to value repeat customers like other companies do (Royal Caribbean cruise line, as an example)- where past guests are given special pricing, priority check in, early booking, on board credit etc. Especially after all of the "free" publicity they get from all of us talking incessantly about how wonderful Disney is, and helping all of our friends and family plan their trips. :mickey:

PopPhan
08-19-2013, 11:45 AM
From a financial perspective, I guess it makes sense. Why give discounts to entice people to travel who are going to go regardless of the deal that is out. However, it saddens me to think that Disney doesn't seem to value repeat customers like other companies do (Royal Caribbean cruise line, as an example)- where past guests are given special pricing, priority check in, early booking, on board credit etc. Especially after all of the "free" publicity they get from all of us talking incessantly about how wonderful Disney is, and helping all of our friends and family plan their trips. :mickey:

You hit the nail on the head with that answer --- You go regularly, so they don't NEED to offer you anything to come back. If you go once every two, or more, years, they may want to try to get you to visit more often. At that point, they look at the make-up of your travel party - number in total; number of kids of certain ages' etc.

I don't expect to ever get a PIN code as I am single (divorced) and have no kids.

Polynesian Dweller
08-19-2013, 01:26 PM
After a bunch of phone calls, I got to know the Disney manager pretty well. I asked her how pin codes are distributed. She said that 1) you have to have your name and email in the Disney database. 2) they try to pick families that haven't been to Disney in the past year or two 3)it helps if you haven't been to Disney in the last 2 years and you "save" trips in your account or order a vacation planning video. I guess that explains why we haven't had one in our own names- we go to Disney too often.

Like every thing else about pins this info us sometimes true sometimes not. Number 2 and 3 aren't. We have gone consecutively for 22 years now and get pins most years. Every rule or tip I've ever seen on any forum has always been contradicted by not working for others. Can't hurt to try things but none have any guarantee of increasing your chances.

AJHUNT2
08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
I got one over the weekend. SADLY it was for the offer that was already out. Room only discount that's being offered instead of the free dining. And not for the time frame we are going in.

But it did say to visit again, meaning I guess they don't realize we have a room booked for March. The last time we were there was 2006