PDA

View Full Version : Annual pass question

disney obsessed
08-12-2013, 03:36 PM
I am about to purchase my first annual pass. What type of discounts come with it? How good are the resort discounts? Any better than my visa or a pin? Also, do they have any discount for companion tickets?

I am going in oct. Should I buy it now or wait until then? When does it activate? Will it benefit me to purchase it now?

Thanks!

KylesMom
08-12-2013, 04:00 PM
With regard to discounts, it really varies. They offer 10-15% off tours, certain restaurants (lunch only), and the A/P allows you to purchase the Tables in Wonderland dining card for $100.

Room discounts? A/P room only discounts are usually offered on a tiered level, with values being the least amount, and deluxe going up to 30%, depending upon the time of year and approaching holidays.

Unfortunately, they do not offer companion ticket discounts.

If you have the cash in hand, you could purchase it now. They've already had a price increase this year, but it will protect you if they decide to incur another one. Once you arrive at Disney World, you will exchange your voucher for the actual ticket - your one year will be active at that time.

Strmchsr
08-12-2013, 04:02 PM
You get 10% discount at most merchandise and TS restaurant locations. It'll spell out the exact places in the guide, but it's most of them. There's also a lot of discounts on tours, but the percentage varies from tour to tour. Just be sure you let them know you have an AP when booking any tour. Another huge advantage is the Tables in Wonderland card (20% discount at most TS locations) which beats the pants off of using the DDP. It costs $100, but I usually recoup that very quickly.

No discounts on companion cards since most folks buy them for their whole family.

No advantage or disadvantage to buying your AP now. It won't activate until you take it to Guest Services and activate it. In the past I've gone to Guest Relations at DTD to activate when I first arrive so I don't have to hassle with paying to park at the theme parks.

The room only discounts are usually quite good. In general, it's the best room only discount, or at least equal to all the others. The discounts will be tiered to the resort like all the discount offers are.

disney obsessed
08-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Thank you.

awaggett
08-12-2013, 04:35 PM
I got my first AP this past May (I live in ATL and was never sure it would be worth it, with two trips planned in a 12-month period, it finally made sense). I was surprised at the additional discounts at TS restaurants and did not realize it worked on merchandise!

As for room discounts, they are great, as such, just planned a quick trip for early September at BWI.

Do it!

Bay Lake
08-12-2013, 11:31 PM
We are also looking into the AP. We have 2 trips planned for next year, Feb and July. My issue is I already booked vacation packages with park tickets. Can I buy the AP and cancel my park tickets?

Strmchsr
08-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Can I buy the AP and cancel my park tickets?

You would have 2 choices - 1.) You could cancel your package and rebook as a room-only reservation and wait for the AP discount to come out. 2.) You could leave your reservation as is and convert your theme park tickets to an AP. The cost of your tickets would be applied towards your AP cost and your AP would be good for 1 year beginning the first day you used your package tickets.