PDA

View Full Version : Teppan Edo

Lisa and Alan
08-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Hi. We just made ADR's for Teppan Edo and have never eaten there. Our friends have spoken highly of the food quality and the entertainment of having your food prepared in front of you. Are there any entree recommendations and does anyone know if they serve fried rice, rather than steamed white rice ? My daughter loves fried rice. Thank you

JerseyDad
08-11-2013, 07:59 PM
....unfortunately they only offer steamed rice as an accompaniment to the entrees.

...perhaps there might be something else on the menu that would appeal to her? The food is really good ...and they are very accommodating.

GAN
08-11-2013, 08:42 PM
We really enjoyed it there -ask, maybe they'll make some fried rice for her.

JoDisney
08-12-2013, 02:31 AM
They do not serve the plain, steamed white rice anymore. They are serving a beef flavored rice now.

JerseyDad
08-12-2013, 11:22 AM
They do not serve the plain, steamed white rice anymore. They are serving a beef flavored rice now.

....well ...that would pretty much mess up the dining plan of a vegetarian ....right?

etibbetts
08-12-2013, 12:35 PM
My favorite entree is the steak and shrimp combination. They bring some great sauces out to dip your food in as well.

I believe even though they serve beef rice now that you can still request steamed white rice.

I love Teppan Edo, it's a must do for our family every trip.

NJGIRL
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM
....well ...that would pretty much mess up the dining plan of a vegetarian ....right?

wow....that will be a problem for me....they have to offer vegetarians something else. :(

Lisa and Alan
08-12-2013, 02:51 PM
The beef flavored rice actually will probably appeal to our family more than the white rice... So yeah! I will try the steak/ shrimp combo, that sounds yummy...mmmm

JerseyDad
08-12-2013, 02:57 PM
wow....that will be a problem for me....they have to offer vegetarians something else. :(

.....my thoughts exactly ....and I would certainly hope so. My 17 yr old daughter is a vegetarian ...and the thought of her just getting a dish of zucchini, onions (the predominant veggies) and Udon noodles makes me almost want to skip the reservation there. (and I have never said anything like that before about Teppan Edo).

....I just have to question this Sukiyaki Beef Rice side dish (as I found it is called)? Was this added to appease those that want fried rice? (from what I have found, it's not fried rice by any stretch of the culinary imagination..) I reality ...I would not want this if I were, say, ordering a seafood or chicken entree ....because it just doesn't 'work'. It actually sounds like a Rice-A-Roni flavor....

....we have ADR's there in 2 weeks ....but I'm going to give it some extra thought now.

NJGIRL
08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
I always order the Yasai, which is a combo of different veggies and the noodles.

I have also had the veggie croquettes, which were good too.

I can't understand why they are making beef flavored rice, instead of the plain fried rice that is served at most Japanese restaurants.

buzznwoodysmom
08-12-2013, 09:24 PM
We loved the meal we had there back in 2006. Raved about it forever. We didn't eat there again till 2011, and it wasn't nearly as good as our previous meal. We probably won't return since we have far better places like this right here at home. Such a shame!

Blame the new "beef rice" on guest complaints. We once witnessed another family make a huge stink over the fact that they didn't serve fried rice. The family was rather loud, and disrespectful to the staff, and eventually stormed off leaving the rest of the room speechless. I felt so bad for both the server and the family that was seated along with them at their table. I am sure this has happened more than just the time we witnessed it.

It has been my understanding that only steamed white rice was offered as that was traditionally Japanese. Fried rice is Chinese.

JerseyDad
08-13-2013, 08:44 AM
We loved the meal we had there back in 2006. Raved about it forever. We didn't eat there again till 2011, and it wasn't nearly as good as our previous meal. We probably won't return since we have far better places like this right here at home. Such a shame!

Blame the new "beef rice" on guest complaints. We once witnessed another family make a huge stink over the fact that they didn't serve fried rice. The family was rather loud, and disrespectful to the staff, and eventually stormed off leaving the rest of the room speechless. I felt so bad for both the server and the family that was seated along with them at their table. I am sure this has happened more than just the time we witnessed it.

It has been my understanding that only steamed white rice was offered as that was traditionally Japanese. Fried rice is Chinese.

.....yes ...the steamed rice is a very traditional ...and authentic accompaniment at the Japanese dining table. I too think that they are somewhat "caving in" to pressure to have fried rice in the restaurant. As you said ....that's more along the lines of American-Chinese food (being that in the countries of origin ....most food is served with plain rice). I think the American public has become so accustomed to flavored "stuff" (including foods that contain salt) ...that they feel a plain bowl of white / steamed rice ...is a let down.

....most of the the Japanese hibachi type restaurants near me here in NJ ....make a type of cook-top fried rice ....that really pales in comparison to that we get from our go-to Chinese restaurant. (and ...our Chinese restaurant will make a special vegetarian fried rice for my daughter ...with tofu, egg, edamame, scallions, peas, water chestnuts ...and it's delicious).

....what I liked ..in particular, at Teppan Edo ...was the 'authenticity" ....and the health conscious nature of the food. The ratio of vegetable / noodle to the amount of meat / fish ...is ..I would guess 75% in favor of the veggies & noodle ...vs the meat component ...which is actually the way it should be. I've gone to hibachi restaurants with people who have openly whined about the quantity of meat / chicken / fish /shellfish ...when compared to the veggie / starch (rice or noodle) component. Of course ...those are the people who usually go to a place like Ruth's Chris or Schula's steakhouse ...and get a 3 lb lobster or a 24 oz steak ....

.....I gotta' give this coming trip's ADR some thought.

sorarail
08-14-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm vegan. We ate there last year and the chef knew ahead of time thanks to our ADR's. I had the Yasai and he fixed it before he put any meat or fish on the grill, so I got to start eating before everyone else.:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
08-14-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't mind that they are serving fried rice, but it shouldn't contain beef. I don't see the point. They can serve a fried rice that is flavorful without the beef.

SBETigg
08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't mind that they are serving fried rice, but it shouldn't contain beef. I don't see the point. They can serve a fried rice that is flavorful without the beef.

I'm not against beef, but I do agree with you that it seems more of a hassle to make a rice that won't suit everyone when it would have been just as easy to serve one that could appeal to more people, without the beef. Kind of odd. I love plain steamed rice with my teppan style food, though. I also love the fried version they serve at most teppan places (even if fried rice is more of a chinese thing, they do it at most hibachi style places).

Teppan Edo is a fun place, though. If you don't have a party of eight, you will be seated with other people. It's more fun when everyone at your table is really into it. Most of the teppan style entrees cooked in front of you have the same flavors: mirin, ginger, soy. So it really depends on what meat or veg you prefer and you have many choices.

miltimo5
08-14-2013, 12:16 PM
i ate there last summer and they were very acccommodating to everyone at my table. if you make a ressie just mention it ... then they will be prepared when you get there

Mfarquar
08-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Agree! We have been there with 2 in our party with shellfish allergies. Because it was a last-minute reservation, we did not give advance notice. We notified the hostess and waitress when we arrived.

The chef, staff and manager will all so accommodating and helpful. They prepared everything carefully right in front of our eyes. Like some previous posters mentioned, they will cook foods for vegetarians or allergies in advance of the other food, which still works out wonderfully because of how efficient the chefs are.

They did an A++++ job and were a complete class act in accommodating our needs. I am sure they will be more than happy to meet any vegetarian needs/requests.

As far as the rice goes, they will probably prepare vegetarian rice with the vegetarian meal. They would need to prepare the vegetarian meal in advance regardless (i.e., my vegetarian and vegan friends would NOT knowingly eat veggies prepared on the same surface as meat), so at least both items will be nice and hot simultaneously for the vegetarian/vegan diner.

miltimo5
08-15-2013, 02:22 PM
SINCE IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY THEY WENT OVER THE TOP....THE GIRLS BROUGHT BE A PAPER CHEFS HAT WITH HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND "DREAM" WRITTEN IN JAPANESE.. PS I HAD A SHIRT I BOUGHT LAST YEAR IN THE SHOP DOWNSTAIRS THAT HAD THE WORD DREAM IN JAPANESE...THEY LOVED IT...THINK THAT HELPED :secret: AND I GOT A PIECE OF CHOCOLATE BIRTHDAY CAKE AND THEY SANG HAPPY BIRTHDAY IN JAPANESE TO ME TOO..REALLY SWEET... I WAS BY MYSELF AND THE PEOPLE ON MY RIGHT WERE KIND OF SNOBBY...MOTHER, FATHER SON AROUND 21...ON MY LEFT WAS A MOTHER FATHER AND SON AROUND 9 AND THEY INTRODUCED THEMSELVES IMMEDIATLY... I ORDERED SCALLOPS AND THEY ORDERED THE APPETIZER RIBS...AND WE SHARED...SO WE COULD EACH TASTE SOMETHING WE HADNT TRIED BEFORE...THE FATHER & SON WERE LEAVING WHEN THE WAITRESSES BROUGHT MY CAKE..SO THE MOM SAT WITH ME WHILE I HAD CAKE..SO I SHARED IT...MET REALLY REALLY NICE PEOPLE THERE...GO FOR IT

Lisa and Alan
08-15-2013, 06:30 PM
I am so happy to hear of all the wonderful experiences people have had . Now I am even more excited for our upcoming trip and meals. Thank you for taking the time to share your memories with me. I have no doubt that we will be very happy with our meal:mickey:

JerseyDad
09-11-2013, 11:58 PM
....just a little update on this thread. We ate dinner at Teppan Edo on Aug 31st and got to 'experience' the Sukiyaki Beef Rice.

...please be forewarned ...it is very likely one of the most unappetizing, flavorless, pasty, abominations that has ever crossed my lips. It's not even close to being considered a good effort in order to impersonate fried rice (which is it's sole purpose of its presence on the menu). There was ZERO visible signs of beef in it ...and no vegetables (scallions, diced onion, bean sprouts etc) ...as would be found in real fried rice (or even in Rice-a Roni).

...we sat at full table of guests (8?) ...and everyone that tasted it (7 of us) asked to have it replaced with the standard steamed white rice. The only person that didn't send it back ...was my 17 yr old daughter ...who ordered white rice from the beginning ..because she's a vegetarian (maybe she's a psychic too?)

...while I'm here, and as a continued 'review' ....Teppan Edo will (quite sadly) not be on our list of future dining venues that we traditionally seek out. (we've gone 11 times in 10 years). The portions have become somewhat skimpy, and although the 'protein ingredients' (meat, fish, poultry) seem okay ...the udon noodles have been cheaped down to the thin (common) version ...and even the vegetable component is thinned out.

...I rarely give a poor food review unless it's truly warranted ....but even the chef's "cooking show" has been tamed ...and for the price ...it just doesn't measure up any longer.

I've never been one to compare "the outside world" to Disney ...but this is the ONLY time that I've dined there and I was quick to remember that the hibachi restaurant near my home in NJ will give me the same entree (I had steak + chicken) .....with a miso soup, salad, rice, and dessert (ice cream) ...for $5 dollars less ...and I'd have enough food, that if I want to bring home leftovers ...I could.

mydisneygirls
09-12-2013, 09:29 AM
We ate there 2 years ago. Needless to say, we didn't this year. We get a much better habachi meal here close to home (with the soup and salad included).

It just seems that a lot of the restaurants in Disney are cutting way back (at least I noticed it on our recent trip). I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of people on the free dining plan! The only two we ate at that were the same were O'Hana and Captain's Grille.

JerseyDad
09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
We ate there 2 years ago. Needless to say, we didn't this year. We get a much better habachi meal here close to home (with the soup and salad included).

It just seems that a lot of the restaurants in Disney are cutting way back (at least I noticed it on our recent trip). I wonder if it has anything to do with the amount of people on the free dining plan! The only two we ate at that were the same were O'Hana and Captain's Grille.

...I too have noticed "downward portion control" taking place at many of the WDW table service eateries. We had ADR's this trip for Teppan Edo, Via Napoli, 1900 Park Fare (breakfast), and La Hacienda de San Angel.

...only place that I didn't notice a cut-back of some kind ...was nowhere!! Food portions at Teppan Edo and Via Napoli are smaller ....buffet items at Park Fare have suffered (ie: no actual lobster meat in the Lobster Benedict) ...and I will swear that the glasses used for a tequila flight at La Hacienda are smaller than last year. Of course ...all have raised their prices by at least $2/per entree.

...If I venture to WDW next year ...I may be one of those people that bring my own food and have breakfast & lunch at my room. That is ...if they ever put real fridges back in the rooms.

SBETigg
09-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't think this is unique to Disney. I notice it all over the place. Smaller portions, larger prices.

I wouldn't mind smaller portions. It's really not healthy to eat all that food in one sitting (though, special occasions, vacation, it happens). But raising the prices on smaller portions doesn't seem quite right. I notice it at the grocery store, too. A lot of my favorite products come in smaller sizes suddenly, for the same or higher price. Everyone is looking to increase profits. Disney is profit-driven, too. If they can, they will.

mydisneygirls
09-12-2013, 11:53 AM
I noticed on our recent trip that 1900 Park Fare cut back in quality/quantity at dinner. I'm thinking about just booking a room and eating off property next time we go. Although we do love the Disney feel at dinners, I'm coming to realize more and more that what you get is not worth the money! I just have a feeling as time goes on, there will be less and less and the price will go up more and more.

JerseyDad
09-12-2013, 01:49 PM
.....for the longest time ...a 'draw' for us to go to WDW was that there was always some form of an "offer" in place. Usually ...it was free dining ...and for us it was counter service because we always stay at POP. (I will say that even if they threw free TS dining at me ...I'd NEVER do that one again ...too much planning and running from one place to another to make it to a reservation)

.....that said ...we had no dining plan this past trip (8/24 to 9/2) ....and just ate at CS spots, with an occasional TS ADR made at our favorite spots because it was a 'tradition' for us.

.....even CS places like Cosmic Rays have cut items like the Ribs & Chicken dinner (it was formerly available as a lunch ....then, last yr it went to being available only at dinner ...now this yr it's gone completely). It's not as if they were "giving it away" either ........

buzznwoodysmom
09-12-2013, 02:38 PM
I've never been one to compare "the outside world" to Disney ...but this is the ONLY time that I've dined there and I was quick to remember that the hibachi restaurant near my home in NJ will give me the same entree (I had steak + chicken) .....with a miso soup, salad, rice, and dessert (ice cream) ...for $5 dollars less ...and I'd have enough food, that if I want to bring home leftovers ...I could.

This is exactly how we feel about dining at TE after our last meal there. We have phenomenal hibachi places near home that TE can't even begin to compare to. As much as I hate comparing places at home with Disney our meal here was so much less enjoyable than comparable meals at home that we just can't bring ourselves to eat there again....at least not anytime soon.