PDA

View Full Version : APs

bshaw96
08-05-2013, 04:59 PM
We usually do 1-2 Disney trips a year 8-10 days each (some of those are off days or days doing non Disney stuff). I recently took a weekend job and can only take 4 weekends a year off. DH is Mon-Friday. So planning is a little harder. We decided last night instead of 2 long trips maybe we should by APs and do smaller trips. We are about 9 hours away by car so not sure if this is something that sounds good in theory but would fail in reality. Anyone bought APs and regretted it? Anyone far away but them or are APs usually bought by local residents? I like the idea that we could do a family trip, a 3-4 day adult getaway, or a midweek getaway when schools out. Also could experience different resorts. I guess if nothing else even 2 trips would be cheaper with an AP. Just don't wanna regret it?

Strmchsr
08-05-2013, 05:36 PM
If you don't mind the drive it's definitely worth it. You can also get the TiW card, which is very nice. But, if you're not sure if you would actually do the trips, then you don't want to invest. Once you get the AP you're pretty much locked in to having to do those trips to recoup your investment. Add in the gas for the extra trips, the meals and souvenirs, the extra lodging costs, etc and is it still worth it? I love having the AP, and now that we're Florida residents it's even better, but you have to decide if all of that is worth it for you.

kakn7294
08-05-2013, 11:53 PM
We had APs that just expired. We live near Pittsburgh, PA - a 17 hr drive (although I prefer to fly). For the past several years, we've bought APs and traveled in the summer then made sure our next trip was taken a few weeks earlier the next year (before the passes expired) so as to maximize our use of them. We averaged about 18-22 days per year on a pass buying them every other year. We are not DVC members.

tjstrike
08-06-2013, 05:09 AM
We buy AP's every other year or so and try to make 2-3 long trips (7-8 days) while we have the passes. We also live about 9 hrs away.

MyDisneyworld
08-06-2013, 09:05 AM
We just bought our first AP yesterday and plan to do 2-3 trips with it then skip a year. With our DVC discount we saved a bunch with just the 2 trips but decided to try and squeeze in a 3rd trip. We are from Michigan and normally go once a year so with getting the AP we just moved up our next years trip to fit within the 12 month window.
Another option for you would be to get a longer ticket with no expiration, would need to do the math to see what way works out best though.
Have fun planning.....