PDA

View Full Version : Parking @ Resorts for Dining & More?

MPoppins
08-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Please refresh my memory with parking at a resort when dining...Here's our plan:

My family and I have reservations at one of the WL restaurants the same night that we have tickets for MVMCP. Will we be able to arrive, park, eat, and then take the boat to the MK all while leaving our car in the WL parking lot? We love the boat ride from the WL to the MK... Any thoughts? Thanks! :mickey:

Opus X
08-05-2013, 12:34 PM
There wont be an issue. We goto W.L. all the time to look around eat...We are staying there our next visit in May'15
It is not uncommon at all to do exactly what your plans are.

Strmchsr
08-05-2013, 01:37 PM
The official policy is a 3 hour limit on parking if you have a reservation at the resort. Unless you use the valet parking in which case there's not a time limit. WL has very limited parking so it is quite annoying for resort guests when others just leave their cars and WDW has begun policing that a little more strictly than they used to.

ls1jt
08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I have heard the 3 hour thing, I also haven't gone over that when I am visiting other resorts. I don't really see them searching the lot for your car at the end of 3 hours.

I also know their is a courtesy to the resort guests, but I don't think there would be any problem with that.

JT

Polynesian Dweller
08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
I have heard the 3 hour thing, I also haven't gone over that when I am visiting other resorts. I don't really see them searching the lot for your car at the end of 3 hours.

I also know their is a courtesy to the resort guests, but I don't think there would be any problem with that.

JT

Actually they do. They have security cars that roam the various lots both for security and this reason. And, I have seen a car towed from the Poly lot every trip I've had. If they need to move a car they will.

But the biggest reason is courtesy. The worst thing that can happen is to return to your home resort and not find a spot, it is horrible. If you wouldn't want it to happen to you at your home resort then courtesy says don't do it to someone else at their resort. The lots are marked as not for theme park parking for a reason.

VWL Mom
08-05-2013, 04:20 PM
I must say, when we checked in to VWL in June we used Quicksilver. I had to give my name at the gate and they confirmed it in the computer before they let us in. That was a first, usually they just wave them in.

chefmickey3
08-05-2013, 06:32 PM
From our experience two weeks ago at the Contemporary, we were asked for a confirmation number and asked to see our Key to the World. We were told verbally that it was 3 hour parking. We were eating at Chef Mickey's.

MPoppins
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Goodness - okay, good to know. We always stay at the YC and always valet our car so I haven't experienced not having a space. I sense :mad: in some responses... Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I miss the days of Disney encouraging Guests to visit resorts - explore, eat, perhaps imagine staying there... Now everything has such structure. Thanks for the advice.

kakn7294
08-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Goodness - okay, good to know. We always stay at the YC and always valet our car so I haven't experienced not having a space. I sense :mad: in some responses... Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. I miss the days of Disney encouraging Guests to visit resorts - explore, eat, perhaps imagine staying there... Now everything has such structure. Thanks for the advice.

I don't think (hope) anyone's anger is directed at you specifically. I think it just comes from those who have nonchalantly broken the rules in the past and have caused a disruption to others in the process. That's the whole idea behind a forum like this - to educate each other about the rules so that we aren't those people.

Polynesian Dweller
08-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I don't think (hope) anyone's anger is directed at you specifically. I think it just comes from those who have nonchalantly broken the rules in the past and have caused a disruption to others in the process. That's the whole idea behind a forum like this - to educate each other about the rules so that we aren't those people.

Exactly, no anger at all from me but trying to let people know what the impacts can be. They really aren't obvious. As kakn pointed out, it's about helping others know that the implications are there. I always believe, maybe naively, that when people know the implications that most people are happy to show the courtesy to others that they expect. But they can't if they don't know.

And I will admit it is a touchy point for me. I've been in the situation of not finding parking at my home resort and it is worse than others can imagine. I wouldn't want others to experience this and hope reinforcing the idea in forums will help others avoid it.

buzznwoodysmom
08-05-2013, 11:49 PM

You are still more than welcome to visit other resorts to explore, eat, shop, and even just check it out. If you drive and park at a resort you are not staying at it is asked that you only visit for 3 hours, which is usually plenty of time for eating, shopping, or looking around. It is, however, not a place to park your car while going to the parks. If you valet at the resort you can leave your car while you go to the parks. Or you can take a cab or Disney transportation and not have to worry about the issue at all. Lol

I have also been a guest who couldn't find an empty parking space at my resort and ended up having to valet the car, twice. It is frustrating to those guests who find themselves in this situation. Honestly what was most frustrating was the amount of time it took looking for an empty spot more so than having to valet.

No anger here either, just answering the question as best I can.;)