PDA

View Full Version : AoA

Disney-Nut
08-03-2013, 08:50 PM
I finally booked the Disney trip. Yaaay! I do have a couple questions...Do the mermaid rooms all have a fridge? About how long of a walk is it to the food court? Whats everyone's take on the AoA resort?

brownie
08-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Normally you'd have a fridge, but Disney is in the process of replacing them. See this thread: Refrigerator Issues at Resort (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=200198).

It's not a far walk to the food court.

Crow
08-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Ive walked around AOA while staying at POP. not a bad walk to food court. I almost just booked a mermaid room for Oct. the food court is good. Ive tried the surf burger. Its a good location resort wise as you can walk to POP and the trip to the parks is pretty quick.
I think its pretty good theming

Arielfan98
08-03-2013, 11:18 PM
I have never stayed there but I have been there and I must disagree with the other users on the walking distance. In my opinion it is a long walk to and from the food court. I had to walk through the entire Lion King area to get to the Ariel part. I'm not saying it's a hike long, but not as little as the other user's have said. But then again it depends on what you think. I am in shape and exercise every day but it was still quite a walk for me (especially considering I'd been in the parks all day).

Katzateer
08-04-2013, 08:23 AM
I don't think the walk is any further than you would have at a lot of the value and moderates but that section is the farthest away from the bus stops and food court at the AOA resort. I have stayed there twice and love it! The theming and the entire resort is wonderful! Have a great time.:thumbsup::mickey:

AgentC
08-04-2013, 08:23 AM
I stayed in a Mermaid room last year.We also stayed in a Nemo suite this April.

I did not find the walk from the mermaid section to be bad. It was a brisk 5 minute walk or a leisurely 10 minute walk. I stayed in building 7 toward the middle. If you are in building 8 especially toward the back, it could be a little longer.

The bus service was very good when I used it last Sept. We did not use it in April but I did see the buses coming frequently.

The food court has a very good variety. A little crazy busy for me since I'm used to the smaller resorts but very similar to Pop crowdwise.

The gelato was very good and they let you sample before choosing. My one complaint about the food court is that even though it is open until midnight. A lot of the stations close earlier. Once we knew that it was fine but it was a bit disappointing to be looking for things to eat and have the stations close in front of you.

Overall I enjoyed the resort. The mermaid pool is very cute. The theme is bright and big. My kids really enjoyed the main pool and the theming. We usually stay at a moderate or deluxe. I was surprised by how much my kids loved the theming at AOA. From the minute we pulled in, they couldn't wait to see all the pictures and statues from the movies. I'm sure you'll have fun. :)

TheVBs
08-04-2013, 03:29 PM
We loved the resort and want to stay there on our next trip! We did do the LM rooms and didn't mind the walk at all, but it's fair to say it was longer than what we're used to. Just make sure you've got everything you need when you leave, so you don't have to run back to your room.

AgentC, what did you think of the Nemo suite? If you go back to AOA would you opt for a suite again or a LM room?

AgentC
08-05-2013, 08:20 AM
AgentC, what did you think of the Nemo suite? If you go back to AOA would you opt for a suite again or a LM room?

I think it would depend on how many people were on the trip and if it was just a quick trip or something longer.

When I did the LM room, it was a quick trip and it was just me. The room was new and felt fine for just me. In May we stayed at Pop (me, 2 kids & my mom) and the room felt a little crowded.

We did the Nemo suite this April with 5 (me, husband, 2 kids & mom). When we have 5 we usually do one of the deluxes, but even though the rooms are bigger, now that my kids are getting older 5 can feel cramped and the 1 bathroom can be a pain.

I thought the Nemo suite was a good compromise if you need more room but don't want to step up to the price of a 1 or 2 bedroom villa.

The rooms are really bright. My kids loved it. My mom not so much. She missed the more reserved rooms at the deluxe resorts. The room set up worked pretty well. You enter in the "dining" area. The table there converts to a pull down full bed. That flows right into the living room which contains a kitchenette area and the couch pulls out to a full bed as well. The first bathroom is off of these two rooms. The master bedroom has a door to separate it from the main area and a large bathroom. The room is also quite spacious. Storage is decent with a drawers available in both rooms.

My biggest issues was find a place to put the dining chairs when the murphy bed was pulled down.

I think the suites are a nice choice for families who want more room or maybe want to be able to put the kids to sleep in one room and still stay up in another but don't want to move up to the villa level.

If we were doing a short trip with 5 , I would definitely stay in a AOA suite again. If we wee staying for 4 or more nights and it fit my budget, I'd probably step up to a villa simply because the adults in my party enjoy that atmosphere better.

TheVBs
08-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Thanks so much for that info! I had not realized those suites have two bathrooms. Good to know! There are only 4 of us, we do just fine in a regular room, but it would be nice to have two bathrooms, more space and separate sleeping areas. Hmmmmm. Just might splurge next trip. :mickey:

Opus X
08-05-2013, 12:57 PM
We explored AofA last May. IT is NOT a big walk to anywhere. Yes, I may take a few minutes from the "back" to bus area or food court..but no more than other resorts.
We love POR. I read all the time on how folks think its big or a long walk from the food court..to their room. It just wasn't. I know folks opinions are all different..but I wouldn't let any concern of walking distance affect you.
BTW, I loved the resort. VERY bright and very "open" very free feeling to it.

minnie04
08-05-2013, 01:27 PM
I just stayed there in July and its a great resort. My room had a fridge, but I know they are working on changing them, so not sure now. The walk is a little far, but we just took it slow and it was fine. I would say its like walking to the buses from the exit of MK (depending on what resort you are at). Or the exit to the buses in MGM. (always MGM to me). We have walked further in other resorts..:mickey: