PDA

View Full Version : WDW Weather Forecast - August 30-Sept 15, 2013

Strmchsr
08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
I'll update this first post each day with the forecast (though I'll occasionally miss a day), both long and short term. As a general rule, up to 7 days is a pretty accurate forecast, beyond that it's educated guessing and largely dependent upon how well the models are doing at that moment, which is why I call it "voodooland." If you have any specific weather questions or comments, even if it's for an area other than WDW, please post and I'll answer throughout the thread. I'll also post weather tidbits every so often. If you want to see the exact conditions for your travel dates over the last few years, go to our historic weather page in Info Central here (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/dailytemps.asp). Without further delay, let's get to the forecast:

Weather at WDW - Update Friday pm, August 30, 2013
Today through Wednesday highs will run 91-93 with a 35% chance of a thunderstorm. Thursday and Friday a trough will develop over the eastern US. Highs will be around 90 with a 40% chance of a thunderstorm.

Long range...Sept 7-15 highs run around 90 with rainfall slightly above average.

Travel Impact :plane: :truck: :drive:
No major issues the next couple of days.

Any of you who are nervous about flying, especially related to turbulence, go here (http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iblog/B80495344/C2128971884/E162746321/index.html) and here (http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/iblog/B80495344/C2128971884/index.html) to learn a lot about turbulence. Those two articles should be very helpful in allowing you to understand turbulence and flight safety when it hits. Hopefully all of this will help you relax and enjoy the trip to WDW more!

Tropics :fan:
The wave coming off the coast of Africa has a high chance of becoming a tropical storm over the next few days, but it is a higher latitude system, and most likely will recurve over the open Atlantic and won’t be a threat to land. A wave over the Central Atlantic still looks disorganized with little convection. It, also, shouldn't be a worry for WDW.

Other than that, not much going on and the models don't develop anything else over the next 10 days or so. It's possible we may hit the peak of hurricane season (Sept 10) with the weakest season on record (lowest ACE values - Acculated Cyclone Energy - it measures not how many storms there have been, but how much energy those storms have expended). We've had 6 storms so far this season, which is about average, but all of those storms have been very weak and short-lived. 93 is the average ACE for a season (the record for the Atlantic is 250 in 2005) and right now we sit at 8. But, that's what makes weather so much fun. Alabama, where I just moved from, had its 3rd coldest summer on record, the FL Panhandle, where I am now, has had record rainfall the last 2 months, and a hurricane season that was forecast to be well above normal has been the weakest no record even though many of the ingredients are in place that should allow storms to develop. It's why weather is never boring! No, this isn't some ridiculous "global warming" phenomenon. It's just part of the (in Disney language) Circle of Life. Weather changes. Some years it's hot, some cool, some wet and some dry. It's all part of the cycle and it's fun to try to figure out.

BuddyL4
08-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Wow only 4 named storms so far. Seems quiet, hopefuly not the calm before the storm so to speak.

Strmchsr
08-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Actually, the season has been slightly ahead of the curve. Normally conditions are not favorable for development until around mid-August. The 2 storms in June were about right in that they developed in the Gulf, but the 2 July storms were a little unusual in that they developed at all in harsh conditions. All signs are pointing towards things getting pretty busy towards the end of August and September. That doesn't mean any will hit land, just that conditions are becoming more favorable for them to form. I don't expect anything in the next 2 weeks, though, because there is a ton of dust from the Sahara over the Atlantic right now and that kills storms.

BuddyL4
08-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Will be at Disney last week August hope it stays quiet but I guess I'll pack the ham radio. :music: just in case.....

73's

dlpmikki
08-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Chris, is this forecast going to be similar for Tampa? I'm heading there next Tuesday for a few days before hitting Disney on the 19th. Love it when it is time for me to read your forecasts and know that they will be effecting me! :mickey:

Strmchsr
08-07-2013, 07:50 AM
Hey, Mikki! Yeah, things should be pretty much the same around Tampa - low 90s with scattered afternoon thunderstorms. There might be a slightly higher chance of an afternoon thunderstorm there, but they'll still be fairly brief.

Hammer
08-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Mikki, I use Chris' forecasts when I am planning trips to Tampa to see Mom. Like he said, the weather is pretty similar in the summer. I find in fall and winter that Tampa is a bit warmer, which I am guessing is due to the Gulf of Mexico.

dlpmikki
08-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks Chris and Christine!

mydisneygirls
08-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Oh no, we'll be there the last week of August. Please tell me it's not going to be a wash out!!!!! I'd be happy with a passing thunderstorm each day.

Strmchsr
08-12-2013, 04:16 PM
Oh no, we'll be there the last week of August. Please tell me it's not going to be a wash out!!!!! I'd be happy with a passing thunderstorm each day.

Definitely not. Remember, anything beyond 7 days is voodooland, which often changes on a daily basis. I think you'll be okay other than the normal pop up thunderstorms that happen every day in Florida during the summer.

mydisneygirls
08-13-2013, 11:57 AM
I feel better....thank you Chris!

JerseyDad
08-15-2013, 10:07 AM
.....this Tropical Depression #5 (now called Erin) now has my attention. We'll be at WDW 8/24 - 9/2 ....and I wonder if it'll be headed to the east coast of the US?

....being that I'm from New Jersey ...I have PTSD (Post Traumatic Sandy Disorder).

Strmchsr
08-15-2013, 10:29 AM
.....this Tropical Depression #5 (now called Erin) now has my attention. We'll be at WDW 8/24 - 9/2 ....and I wonder if it'll be headed to the east coast of the US?

I'm watching Erin closely. The wave in the Gulf is definitely not an issue for WDW. All preliminary indications are that Erin will be deflected away from the US coast to the south, but it's WAY too early to say for sure. Honestly, it'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before we have a good handle on where the system will end up. The good news is that it will be fighting hostile conditions all the way across the Atlantic and should not reach hurricane status. So, my early guess is that it won't be an issue for you but we're only in the first inning of this game.

JerseyDad
08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm watching Erin closely. The wave in the Gulf is definitely not an issue for WDW. All preliminary indications are that Erin will be deflected away from the US coast to the south, but it's WAY too early to say for sure. Honestly, it'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before we have a good handle on where the system will end up. The good news is that it will be fighting hostile conditions all the way across the Atlantic and should not reach hurricane status. So, my early guess is that it won't be an issue for you but we're only in the first inning of this game.

....where are those good old African dust storms when you need them!! They kept the Atlantic pretty quiet for a significant length of time.....

....I just don't have the heart ...or financial resources to deal with another major hurricane this soon....

Strmchsr
08-15-2013, 11:09 AM
....where are those good old African dust storms when you need them!! They kept the Atlantic pretty quiet for a significant length of time.....

This is the time of the year when the winds change and the Saharan dust and dry air dissipates. So far everything that is happening is climatelogically right on pace. I've been saying all summer watch for the uptick around mid-August and that's what we're seeing. It's normal. And now things will probably get very busy for the next 6-8 weeks. I know it's nerve wracking. Living on the Gulf Coast, everyone gets nervous this time of the year. I'll keep you posted.

BuddyL4
08-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the update Chris it is very much appreciated :thumbsup:. We will be heading down to Florida on the 23rd from Niagara Falls, driving. Your forecasts are a big help in planning this road trip. :car::drive:

CaptSmee
08-20-2013, 10:33 AM
What a shocker..low 90's with a 40% chance afternoon shower. Tough to be a weatherman in central fla this time of year ;) lol

Strmchsr
08-20-2013, 12:14 PM
What a shocker..low 90's with a 40% chance afternoon shower. Tough to be a weatherman in central fla this time of year ;) lol

lol, no kidding. I've said before that most years I could pretty much write that exact forecast in June and, barring anything tropical, not change it again until mid-September and I'd be right 95% of the time. What's tough about being a meteorologist this time of the year is figuring out new ways to say the same thing every day!

VWL Mom
08-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Wow, much better than I was expecting for next week. Thanks Chris.