PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good time to go? (May)

KAT1811
08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
We typically travel to the World in the fall or most recently over April school break. This year was very enjoyable and the crowds were not bad at all however, 2014's April vacation encompasses Easter. After a little research I see that Easter is an EXTREMELY busy time to visit. We are not a big fan of huge crowds (not that anyone is) so we are planning on traveling a little later this year and are pulling the children out of school. We are looking at being in Disney May 9th -May 17th. This way we would be far enough away from Easter to miss those crowds and still too early for the Memorial Day long weekend crowds. Typically is this a good time to travel or am I not taking something into account?

BugeyedMuggy
08-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Besides the F&WF those dates are our 2nd favorite time of year to go. You may hit the Star Tours weekend but you can plan HS around the weekends. The weather is great usually and like you said b-4 Memorial Day weekend the crowds will be better.

Belle of the Ball 051411
08-02-2013, 12:54 PM
That's my favorite time to go!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Yes! We've been in early/mid May a number of times and enjoyed it. The weather is warm, but not usually crazy-summer hot and crowds are less than summer or Easter.

It will still be busy, but not crazy. The only thing to think about/work around is Star Wars Weekends at DHS. Either a blessing (if you want to go) or something to avoid (pick another park for the weekends).

faline
08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
We're a big fan of May visits. Love the Flower and Garden festival!

AgentC
08-02-2013, 02:01 PM
I like early May as well. Sometimes we start to reach summer temperatures in late May but it is very rare for early May. I also find the crowds more more manageable than the Spring Break/Easter crowds.

Strmchsr
08-02-2013, 02:13 PM
One other item for your dates - you would hit Mother's Day weekend. I don't think you'd hit Star Wars weekend. That's usually the last 2 weekends of May, so it would start after your vacation. But, there's no way to know for sure on that. Those dates won't be confirmed for a while.

Otherwise, May is a good time. We always enjoy it. As others have noted, it can get quite hot as we went two separate years with highs around 95, but upper 80s to 90 is more the norm. Crowds are moderate (except Mother's Day when it's nuts). Not super crowded, but not empty either. The F&GF is always beautiful and worth seeing.

BugeyedMuggy
08-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Also forgot to mention we went early May 2013 and it was the 1st year they did booths similar to F&WF for awesome tastings in Epcot. Hopefully will continue to expand for next spring.

EpcotFan182
08-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I went in May for the very first time this year and loved it! Crowds were not as bad, weather was hot but not unbearable - it's my new favorite time to go!

Opus X
08-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Early May...is the ONLY time we go to WDW:thumbsup:

KAT1811
08-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback. Looks like May is the time to go! Now on to the planning!!! Yea!