PDA

View Full Version : DVC rooms - how many guests per category?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Wasn't quite sure how to title this thread. I know by looking at the rental points chart that most DVC resorts have 3 categories (in general); Studio, 1 BDR and 2 BDR.

For most of them the 1BDR would say 4 guests and the 2BDR would say 8 guests. I did see a few where a 1BDR states 5 guests.

We are a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids 10 and under at the moment. We did a recent trip to a YMCA family camp and rented lodges. All of their lodges had a +1 rule. If the lodge said sleeps 7 (and the fee was based on that) you could always add 1 more guest for $100.

What I'm wondering, as a family of 5, can we rent points at a DVC location, 1BDR that says guest limit 4? Or are we essentially forced into renting a 2BDR unit (unless we do one of the few resorts that allow 5).

Thanks for the help. For our next, as yet unscheduled trip, we really want to try Deluxe categories for a change, and renting DVC seems like it could be a really good option for us, but I need to know if we are a 2BDR family or if 1BDR is an option.

Thanks.

AgentC
08-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Someone else will come along who knows more than me but I have stayed as a cash customer with 5 in several 1 BDR. For cash customers, the 1 bedrooms that have the pull out chair sleep 5.

We have stayed in Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Tower and at Vero Beach in a 1 BDR. I think Key West is also allows 5.

You can also do 5 at mosy of the Deluxes in a regular room but it is a bit cramped.

chefmickey3
08-02-2013, 01:23 PM
As pp stated, BLT, AKL Kidani, OKW all have an extra pull out chair which sleeps the 5th. It depends how old your children are - we have been allowed to stay in the 1BR with 5 while the children were little - it is a queen size pull out couch which fit them fine. As they are getting bigger, however, we have found the extra chair to be a big bonus. You will love the 1BR - bring or pick up water and other liquids to take into the parks and breakfast items and you can save some significant cash!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
As pp stated, BLT, AKL Kidani, OKW all have an extra pull out chair which sleeps the 5th. It depends how old your children are - we have been allowed to stay in the 1BR with 5 while the children were little - it is a queen size pull out couch which fit them fine. As they are getting bigger, however, we have found the extra chair to be a big bonus. You will love the 1BR - bring or pick up water and other liquids to take into the parks and breakfast items and you can save some significant cash!

So is it allowed to have a "5th" in a stated 4 person 1 bedroom, and then it just comes down to convenience, meaning, all the kids are teenagers and even if allowed, a 1 bdr doesn't work?

With the current ages/sizes of our kids, I think a 1BDR more than sufficient for our needs.

tjstrike
08-03-2013, 03:39 AM
We have 3 teenagers and have stayed at 1 bedrooms at BLT, SSR, BWV and BC.

VWL Mom
08-03-2013, 06:36 AM
So is it allowed to have a "5th" in a stated 4 person 1 bedroom

Not unless one of the 5 is under 3 years old. As others have mentioned those that have the sleeper chair take 5, otherwise it's 4. The studios at the new GF Villas hold 5 also.

The 1 bedrooms at BLT and AKV also have the 2nd bathroom which is a plus.

Before BLT and AKL opened and before OKW added the sleeper chair they would allow 5 in the 1 bedroom for owners that insisted but would not provide towels or linens for them. Due to fire codes it is no longer allowed.

Aurora
08-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Not unless one of the 5 is under 3 years old. As others have mentioned those that have the sleeper chair take 5, otherwise it's 4. The studios at the new GF Villas hold 5 also.

The 1 bedrooms at BLT and AKV also have the 2nd bathroom which is a plus.

Before BLT and AKL opened and before OKW added the sleeper chair they would allow 5 in the 1 bedroom for owners that insisted but would not provide towels or linens for them. Due to fire codes it is no longer allowed.

Lynn, they are still allowing 5 people in a 1-bedroom. I just made a ressie for Saratoga -- we are two adults, two teens (actually the oldest will be 18, considered an adult :() and a 9-year-old. I asked about the Boardwalk as well because we'll try to change our ressie at 7 months, they said they would allow 5 in the room, but linens are not provided for the 5th person. All of our names are on the ressie.

To the OP, though, that second bathroom in the newer DVC resorts that have the extra sleeper chair is a big bonus, especially with teens. We stayed at BLT and it felt like such a luxury to have that second bath. We're only looking at the Boardwalk even without the second bath because it's my kids' favorite.

DizNut42
08-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Yes, the extra bathroom at AKV and BLT are a great plus. Even better with 3 bath's in the Two Room Villas!!

OKW gets our nod as the rooms are slightly larger than the other DVC resorts and laid out slightly different.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-06-2013, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Aurora;2368129\
To the OP, though, that second bathroom in the newer DVC resorts that have the extra sleeper chair is a big bonus, especially with teens. We stayed at BLT and it felt like such a luxury to have that second bath. We're only looking at the Boardwalk even without the second bath because it's my kids' favorite.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone happen to know which of the DVC resorts have a second bathroom in the 1 bedroom?:mickey:

tjstrike
08-06-2013, 08:34 PM
BLT and AKL kidani.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-06-2013, 10:00 PM

Christine
08-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Does anyone happen to know which of the DVC resorts have a second bathroom in the 1 bedroom?:mickey:

And now Grand Floridian, too

Carol
08-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Grand Californian :mickey:

VWL Mom
08-07-2013, 07:28 AM
And now Grand Floridian, too

Unfortunately that's one of the biggest complaints. They did not add the 2nd bathroom at VGF. :confused:

PlutoPlanet
08-07-2013, 12:57 PM
We stay at a 1 BR at Jambo at AKL and sleep 5. There is a sleeper chair.

Pirate Granny
08-11-2013, 03:06 PM
There are no cots or roll always. If the DVC you are renting doesn't have the sleeper chair ( for example: no chairs at VWL, BCV or BWV) YOU are responsible for bringing an air bed and all associated bedding and towels for the 5th person. Housekeeping will not provide, even upon request. Best to rent at OKW, AKL and I believe BLT...not sure about SSR. VGF (unless a smallish child as its a pull out which is part of the TV cabinet).

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
There are no cots or roll always. If the DVC you are renting doesn't have the sleeper chair ( for example: no chairs at VWL, BCV or BWV) YOU are responsible for bringing an air bed and all associated bedding and towels for the 5th person. Housekeeping will not provide, even upon request. Best to rent at OKW, AKL and I believe BLT...not sure about SSR. VGF (unless a smallish child as its a pull out which is part of the TV cabinet).

Thanks Pirate Granny, and everyone else. Good to know that we have multiple options now as a family of 5.

Aurora
08-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately that's one of the biggest complaints. They did not add the 2nd bathroom at VGF. :confused:

Interesting! I wonder why not? With point requirements so much higher than even BLT, I'd complain too!