PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Extravaganza! Biltmore Estate and final thoughts. Part 10

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2013, 04:55 PM
We had some trouble getting moving this morning. Something about too long a vacation taking its toll on all of us. LOL. We were tired, very, very tired.

We made it to Asheville just before 11am and decided to get lunch out of the way. We visited Asheville, NC probably 8 or 9 years ago and right after we got home we saw a special on the Travel Channel about unique fast food restaurants. There is a very nice McDonald's near the Biltmore entrance and we remembered wishing we had known about it to check it out last time so that is where we had lunch. Very strange to have copper tiled ceilings, chandeliers, a baby grand piano, fireplace, and hanging tapestries inside a McDonald's. LOL.

After lunch we headed to the Biltmore Estate. This was one of our favorite things we did on that trip all those years ago, but the boys barely remembered it. They enjoyed it so much this time around. Landon spent the entire day pretending he was in Hogwart's Castle and picked out rooms that would be the different house common rooms. LOL. His imagination was in overdrive. Collin kept saying "I wish I could live here for just one year".

After touring the house we had snacks in the nearby shops, and wandered around picking up any last minute souvenirs for those we forgot to get something for. :blush: We also headed to their Antler Village area. A lot of this area is new since we last visited. There was only the winery last time. We didn't have a ton of time, but enjoyed the area, and enjoyed driving around the property.

By late afternoon we knew we had to get back on the road. This was on Sunday evening. We didn't get back home till Monday around 2pm. It was a very long drive to get back home from where we started in NJ. Totally worth it, so glad we did it, but not planning on doing that again. LOL.

This whole trip was a success. While a lot of things didn't go according to plan, that's what we expected. That's the fun in life, to just go with it and go with the flow when you can. To be able to see so many new places that we've never been to was amazing. I will always look back fondly on this summer and I think my children will as well.

Everyone had their own favorite locations. For me DC and NYC were at the top of the list for sure. DH enjoyed DC, Gettysburg, and NYC the most. My mom's favorites were NYC and Asheville. Collin's favorite was NYC, but he also liked DC and Hershey a lot. Landon's favorite was Hershey, probably followed by NYC.

We have been discussing plans to revisit our favorite spots. DH would like to try to do the Army 10 mile race in DC within the next couple of years. It's held in Oct. which we think would be an excellent time to visit DC. We would couple DC with Hershey, and perhaps even a side trip to Gettysburg if time allowed. I think if we flew and allowed ourselves a full week we could accomplish all three with a rental car.

DH has also always wanted to go to the Army/Navy football game. We'd love to try to plan that and maybe 3 nights in NYC into another trip. It's my dream to see NYC for the holidays and the Army/Navy game is just after Thanksgiving each year. That would be a perfect trip for me.

As for doing this again, I don't think we would. It was just too long away from home. The boys are never ready to come home from vacation and they couldn't wait to be home. To have their own space, to see their friends. They felt it took too much time from their summer. Now that we are back they have just a few weeks till school starts, so I understand how this trip made their summer feel very short for them. DH will either do phase 2 of this course in NJ again next summer, or he'll do it in Wisconsin. He is leaning toward Wisconsin, but we've already decided we are not joining him. Instead we'll go spend a week in Disney with my SIL and her kids while he is away. Disney seems so easy compared to what we did this summer. LOL.

What I am most happy about is that we were able to show our kids these places at what I feel are the perfect ages. They are 11 and 13, both in middle school now, so it's something they will be able to remember, and they understood what they were seeing. DH and I feel like we accomplished an "unspoken obligation" to our kids by taking the time to bring them to some of these locations, especially DC. And we hope to be able to continue to incorporate important locations in our Country's history in between all the fun locations we also go on for vacation.

Thanks for coming along on my trip report journey. I know they've been long! LOL

NJGIRL
08-01-2013, 06:51 PM
A couple of things to consider. DC in October can be warm or cold, it just depends on the year. I have been there in October a few times and have encountered both.

Also check into Hershey's schedule, of course the water park closes early September, I believe. I think the park is only opened during the weekends in October, and again there is a good chance of getting colder temperatures. They do have a Halloween party that should be fun.

Just wanted to give you the heads up.

buzznwoodysmom
08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
A couple of things to consider. DC in October can be warm or cold, it just depends on the year. I have been there in October a few times and have encountered both.

Also check into Hershey's schedule, of course the water park closes early September, I believe. I think the park is only opened during the weekends in October, and again there is a good chance of getting colder temperatures. They do have a Halloween party that should be fun.

Just wanted to give you the heads up.

Our tour guide told us October would likely be an excellent time to visit DC, but I can understand the chance of it being kinda cold. Any weather has got to be better than what we had. It was brutal!

I did think of Hershey park hours, would have to look into that. And obviously the water park wouldn't be open, but that wouldn't matter, it was nice, but not much to it.

Thanks for the heads up. This won't happen till next October at the very earliest!

Melanie
08-02-2013, 09:21 AM
DH has also always wanted to go to the Army/Navy football game. We'd love to try to plan that and maybe 3 nights in NYC into another trip. It's my dream to see NYC for the holidays and the Army/Navy game is just after Thanksgiving each year. That would be a perfect trip for me.

Psst. It's in Philly (and Baltimore) for the upcoming years. NYC isn't on the released schedule through 2017.

My hubby and son went last year in Philly and had a great time. You guys could swoop in and out for the game and head to NYC. ;)

buzznwoodysmom
08-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Psst. It's in Philly (and Baltimore) for the upcoming years. NYC isn't on the released schedule through 2017.

My hubby and son went last year in Philly and had a great time. You guys could swoop in and out for the game and head to NYC. ;)

I know! When we were making all those plans DH said "ya know, I think that game is in Philly". But if we flew in we could do 3 nights in NY ahead of the game then perhaps take a train in for the game and fly back home from there. We'll figure it out, but yeah, looks like we might return to Philly one day after all. Never say never,right?

luvdiznee
09-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Just read all of your reports...Loved hearing about all the tours and museums you got to see and do in VA/DC...Especially the White House, that must have been so exciting!...I agree that everyone should visit DC...I can't believe its been about 3 years since we were there...Definitely time to go back.

Even though I've been to PA, I haven't been to Philly...I'd still like to go to see the Liberty Bell, one day...Love those hop on/hop off busses, too...Agree NYC is very expensive! But yes, well worth it....Though I still could not bring myself to do the subway, even though it is cheap and quick transportation there...It is good to hear that you ran into some very nice people who were helpful to you in NYC...Because we did as well and also in DC when we went there...Glad you got to meet your "pen pal" as well in NYC.

Your next stop in Hershey confirms what I had wanted to do which was stay at the Hershey Lodge when we went to Hershey this year...Next time definitely!...We had breakfast at the lodge on our way out...Its funny how you guys all got the giggles...Sounds like you guys were just having a great time!...We enjoyed the BW area at Hershey as well...I found the food in the park very expensive...IDK...Just used to a dining plan....Love Chocolate World also.

Your trip certainly does sound like a total success! I would love to do just DC, PA and NYC...That's funny how your kids couldn't wait to come home, but they certainly will have a great vacation to talk about...Good job! And I agree Disney is much easier. ;)