PDA

View Full Version : Scooter Rental in the Parks?

Madame Leona
07-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Anyone ever had trouble renting a scooter (I know they are called something else but I can't remember what) in the park? We are going 8-20 to 8-29 and I've managed to break my foot :( We don't usually get to the parks early (mid morning is typical). I know there are outside companies to rent from but my goal right now is to be walking in some way, shape or form by then. BUT I'm worried that even with the best intentions, I won't be able to walk the whole trip.

Strmchsr
07-30-2013, 08:09 AM
There's generally no problem renting the ECV in the parks. The reason the vast majority of folks (myself included) have rented an ECV from an outside company is because the park ECVs are ridiculously expensive and overpriced. I can rent from an outside company for a week for the same price as a day or two in the park.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2013, 08:30 AM
I agree with Chris! We always rent Mom's ECV from an outside company, for a couple of reasons. It save a fair amount of $$, and she has it at the resort, and in the park parking lot.

We were surprised at how much walking you do at the resort, and just in getting into the park. Especially day after day, it adds up.

Just because you have it, doesn't mean you need to use it every second of the day. You could park it, walk around a section of the park, an area, etc, and then use it again.

In any case, do whatever you need to do to have a super vacation!

PS. We'll be there the same time, with DD in a wheelchair from her recent ankle surgery!

Madame Leona
07-30-2013, 01:59 PM
PS. We'll be there the same time, with DD in a wheelchair from her recent ankle surgery![/QUOTE]

I hope your daughter heals quickly!!!
If we had a car I would seriously consider renting from an outside company but I'm nervous about trying to deal with it on the bus. I go Friday for more x-rays and hopefully I can start walking on it after that. I just want to be prepared in case I don't hear the words that I'm looking for!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Thanks! She's on the mend, and REALLY looking forward to me pushing her all around Disney. :)

The busses have a bad rap, it really isn't that hard with the ECV, the vast majority of drivers are great at helping you get sorted. But, I totally understand your hesitation, there are some bad reports out there.

Do whatever you need to have a good trip ... and don't push it too much! On our last trip, when we were waiting for DD's surgery we assumed she could walk, but she quickly realized that it was just too much for her. You could rent a wheelchair too, something to lean on, could sit when needed and much easier to take with you ... good luck at the doctor though, I hope you get GREAT news!

Madame Leona
07-31-2013, 09:31 AM
I did say a wheelchair would be great to my mom since the price was right. BUT she said no way am I pushing you around Disney AND watching your boys (7&5). I guess I can't blame her :blush:

She's pushing hard for the scooter since we split up a lot on the trip. 7 yo likes wilder rides, 5 yo not so much. But I imagine going off with the 5 yo and the king riding on my lap the whole time!!

I really need to be walking!!

PETE FROM NYC
08-04-2013, 06:57 PM
I did say a wheelchair would be great to my mom since the price was right. BUT she said no way am I pushing you around Disney AND watching your boys (7&5). I guess I can't blame her :blush:

She's pushing hard for the scooter since we split up a lot on the trip. 7 yo likes wilder rides, 5 yo not so much. But I imagine going off with the 5 yo and the king riding on my lap the whole time!!

I really need to be walking!!

If you ride two on a scooter, you will get a hard time from CMs, something about insurance rules. DW and I are both ECV users and have not had any problems w/ the busses. Main problem is navigating through the crowds. Kids ignore you, as do many adults.
Call Apple Scooters, free insurance, and the best bang for the buck.
Enjoy your trip.

Madame Leona
08-04-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Everyone, for the advice. I'm happy to report that while I will be in a gigantic boot, I will be able to walk during the trip. This is exactly what I wanted all along...Well, the walking part, not the broken part :mickey:

Plus, the scooter really wouldn't work for us since we split up a lot. I couldn't let my 5 yo just walk....He'd ditch me in no time!!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Yea! I'm so glad for you.

Still, I'll caution that if walking so far every day gets to be too much, you can decide to rent something in the middle of the trip.

But, enjoy your trip. You and DD will have to compare Air Casts. :):look:

Madame Leona
08-06-2013, 09:39 AM
The air casts are crazy heavy!!!! I do like the fact that I can take it off but holy cow!!!