PDA

View Full Version : Which restaurant at Hollywood Studios?

DizMagic
07-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Which restaurant would you recommend at Hollywood Studios? I've read mixed reviews about most of the restaurants and from my own experience, the food at Hollywood and Vine is okay but not spectacular. We have a reservation there for the character meal for my son's birthday -- he loves Jake -- but I need to make a reservation for another day that we plan to be at HS. Thanks.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-29-2013, 02:22 PM
Our family (with 3 kids) has really enjoyed the 50's Prime Time Cafe, especially when you really get an interactive waitress. The food is pretty good and I think most people enjoy the 50's decor. It can feel a bit "crowded" at times with the layout, but we've always enjoyed it.

We've done Momma Melrose twice and have liked it both times. I like the ambiance and both times the food has been really good. But, if you read various message boards, MM generally gets as many thumbs up as thumbs down. Some compare it to an over-hyped Olive Garden.

We've never done H&V or Sc-Fi Diner, but frankly neither has given me much cause to eat there, from what I've seen and heard, nothing exceptional. We did Hollywood Brown Derby once while on the DDP and as part of a Fantasmic Dinner package. While it was good, I didn't necessarily think it warrants the 2TS that is required by the dining plan.

Options for sit down restaurants are limited at DHS, but as you can tell 50's Prime Time would be my first choice and Momma Melrose my second.

Another option, the Boardwalk is just a short boat ride from DHS, so depending on your schedule and times, that could open up other options for you.

Capt_redshirt
07-29-2013, 02:49 PM
in 2011 my family did the sci fi drive in and mama melrose of the two options sci fi was far better .. tho i have heard that mama melrose has gotten better Im not sure i would go back...

lightyearfan
07-29-2013, 03:33 PM
We've done Momma Melrose twice and have liked it both times. I like the ambiance and both times the food has been really good. But, if you read various message boards, MM generally gets as many thumbs up as thumbs down. Some compare it to an over-hyped Olive Garden.

me and dw completely agree we went to Mamma Melrose 2x for dinner and it so bad that we vowed never to go back, i mean if i want to eat nothing but garlic i'll go to olive garden. about 2 trips ago we decided to give it a shot for lunch as it seemed that the menu had changed. well i can happily say that we will now be hitting Mamma Melrose on every trip it's that good (again 4 lunch) we haven't gone back 4 dinner yet, this also gets you into fantasmic if u decide to do the fantasmic pkg, there s no extra charge u just have to put down a credit card at time of reservation.

Hope this helps

Victor:mickey:

brianlw71
07-29-2013, 04:55 PM
yeah go with sci fi

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Personally, I'm not crazy about DHS Table service, although we love Starring rolls for counter service. If I could I would leave and go to a nearby resort, maybe take a boat to one of the Epcot resorts? If I couldn't leave I'd take my chances with Mama Melrose's or Prime time

GoBlueLacheta
07-29-2013, 06:33 PM
Hollywood Studios is probably 3rd just in front of Animal Kingdom and at least AK has the park hours as somewhat of an excuse. Hollywood and Vine was one of our most dismal experiences anywhere in the world the one time we went there.

In my opinion if you can spare the extra 20-25 minutes of round trip travel to either walk or quick boat or car ride to the Boardwalk area and you have a plethora of better options there for table service.

MargaretMessler
07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I guess I am in the minority here, but although DHS is my least fave park overall for TS food, we really liked SciFi. I guess it's all in what you like, and what you're looking for.

Arielfan98
07-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Sci-Fi dine in is great entertainment and atmosphere for the kids and 50 Prime time cafe is also a hit with families. If you're looking for counter service, the Backlot Express is my all time favorite (they have the best chicken salad there).

Kairi_7378
07-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Are you on the DDP? If so, I wouldn't use a TS credit at DHS. Instead, I'd eat at Starring Rolls for lunch and visit a resort for dinner.

GAN
07-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Are you on the DDP? If so, I wouldn't use a TS credit at DHS. Instead, I'd eat at Starring Rolls for lunch and visit a resort for dinner.

Pretty good idea -especially with the Boardwalk a boat ride away. Only negative would if the plan was to stay in the park. Sci-Fi has a great atmosphere and is good for a burger/sandwich/salad(I wouldn't get anything more sophisticated than that). 50's PT can be a lot of fun and the food is pretty good -fried chicken, meatloaf, etc..

ANG
07-29-2013, 09:45 PM
We eat at Mama Melrose's every time!

AvonleaCF
07-30-2013, 09:16 AM
I have an ADR at 50's Prime Time for my upcoming trip, and ate there once about five years ago. I really like it! Fun theme and good food. It may be home style comfort food, but it's food I actually don't ever get to eat (I never have meatloaf, fried chicken, and pot roast at home). When I went last time, the service was super friendly and the food really good.

Brooklynos
07-30-2013, 02:04 PM
50's prime time is our favorite. The food is good, great atmosphere, fun times and the bar is amazing too. We are going with a group of 10 this year and we can't wait for the antics to go down! Just remember the color of the soap if you go to the restroom and no elbows on the table or you may get teased a little. :)

Sci Fi Diner is good, nothing special food-wise however cool space. Brown Derby we find overrated and it takes two dining credits. 50's is where it's at for us. Hope this helps.

mdricks
07-30-2013, 02:19 PM
Dad of two boys. Back in the day when they were not teens the boys loved sci-fi. Many will say the food isnt special and thats true for adults. For kids however......

50s has great food and can be fun with the right CM. the tune in lounge next door is one of the top 5 bars on property.

:number1:

brownie
07-31-2013, 08:07 AM
We haven't had good success with Sci-Fi Dine-in; long waits for average food. I've enjoyed Hollywood & Vine and 50's Prime Time Cafe. I'd recommend taking a look at 50's Prime Time Cafe since you are already eating at Hollywood & Vine. My favorite place at Hollywood Studios is actually Backlot Express; we try to eat there every trip.

AdventurerKim
07-31-2013, 10:33 AM
The Sci-Fi has good food and a fun atmosphere. We have eaten lunch there several times, although there are only 2 of us so we've always been able to walk up to get a table, even if we had to wait a little. Reservations there seem to be a must for more than 2 people. We like Mama Melrose's but have had our issues with their poor service. The food is very good, though we have not been in 2 years and are going back in the Fall so we'll see if service has improved. 50's Prime Time is very fun, and the food is good. We've never gone without a reservation. The variety and amount of QS and TS places are lacking at DHS compared to the other parks.

Mfarquar
07-31-2013, 11:21 AM
IMO, Sci-Fi has the best atmosphere and is really unique. However, the food is pretty average so only go if you're in the mood for a burger and fries kind of dinner. If you're not expecting a unique menu, you won't be disappointed. Good desserts, too!

50s Prime Time has consistently had the freshest food and also has fantastic theming. The details are really adorable and the waitstaff is very entertaining. The food options are of the comfort food variety (very 1950s!) and we have never been disappointed here.

I'd stay away from Mama Melrose. It is not authentic Italian food despite the prices and we have had absolutely ABHORRENT experiences here with service and cleanliness.

Mfarquar
07-31-2013, 11:23 AM
50s has great food and can be fun with the right CM. the tune in lounge next door is one of the top 5 bars on property.

:number1:

Oh yes! Great point! Really, really good bar :marg:

joonyer
07-31-2013, 11:25 AM
We've always like Sci-Fi Dine-In for the cool, campy atmosphere. Sometimes it gets poor reviews for food, but that's usually regarding the "dinner" type entrees. We've always ordered burgers, onion rings and milk shakes, and all of those things are very good, especially the rings and shakes. Always had a fun time there.

Lindsey
07-31-2013, 12:13 PM
I've found this park to be the most difficult to get a good meal at, (counter service or table service). The only restaurant that I have consistently received good service and a good meal at is the Hollywood Brown Derby. Sci-Fi is a fun place, (especially if you do not have a real drive-in theater where you live), but the food is just OK. I only eat there if I have one of my nieces or nephews with me. They get a kick out of it even though we do have a drive-in theater in our area.