PDA

View Full Version : Tell a Disney Nut how to enjoy Universal

Dulcee
07-29-2013, 12:47 PM
We are planning a trip to WDW and Universal in January. I've always been a disney fanatic and with 20+ trips under my belt know the ins and outs.

The last time I was at universal I was 4? maybe 5? :blush: But with an upcoming trip with my inlaws I know I need to give in and spend a day or two at Universal. I've gotten over my initial disappointment as loosing disney time and I really am starting to get a bit excited over these two new parks.

Whats the best way to attack them? I love love love love Harry Potter. DH and I both do thrill rides and don't mind being up early to hit the parks. My inlaws aren't early risers and are more a two ride then back to the pool sort of people so I'd imagine we'll be meeting up and splitting up alot.

Also whats the best restaurants (CS and TS) in the Universal resorts? DH and I are big fans of Cali Grill and Jikos. I did Emeril's Tchoup chop many years ago and loved that.

bruin1344
07-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I think you'll be surprised how much Universal has improved since your last visit. I used to be anti-Universal until my trip in early Nov 2011 and I enjoyed both parks a lot. Islands of Adventure almost feels like a Disney Park.

Here are my favorites at IOA:
Harry Potter Forbidden Journey - awesome ride and Ive never read or scene a Harry Potter book/movie. I went off season and this ride still had a long wait so try to get there early or else you'll have to wait a long time. There is no express pass.
Jurassic Park
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls - I love this ride, reminds me of Splash Mountain
Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges - similar to Kali River Rapids.
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
The Cat in the Hat - reminds of a fantasyland type of ride where you sit and relax
Not much of rollercoaster person but The Incredible Hulk and Dragon Challenge

Universal Studios
Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride
Simpsons Ride
The Blues Brothers Show (only if you like the Blues Brothers, Im big fan of the movie)
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - fun rollercoaster as you can pick a song to play while riding

susie & perla's mom
07-29-2013, 02:53 PM
If you like thrill rides, you will truly enjoy Universal. I would also suggest to stay on site because you get an express pass (similar to Disney's fast pass) to majority of the rides. Hard Rock is the closest to the City Walk (like Downtown Disney) and the parks itself but is leaned towards younger crowds. We've stayed at both Portofino and Royal Pacific and liked the Royal better due to it's location and better price. Portofino is more upscale though. They do have tons of good restaurants like Bubba Gump, Harry Potter's Three Broomsticks and many more. If Disney is raving about their dole whip, Universal has their own butterbeer ;)
BTW, all three hotels are within walking distance from the parks.

DizneyRox
07-29-2013, 03:36 PM
Most of the new stuff at Universal has been designed by ex Disney Imagineers. I think you'll be surprised by the detail and imagination.

MNNHFLTX
07-29-2013, 04:04 PM
First of all, definitely go with the right attitude--excitement! Think of the new experiences you will have! I love Disney World (of course), but would sacrifice a couple of days there in a heartbeat to go to Universal. Will you be staying on site at one of the Unversal hotels? That's really the best way to go, to get the Express Pass. Wonderful perk and totally worth the $$ and effort of staying on site.

Of course, the Harry Potter stuff is incredible; the Forbidden Journey ride is my favorite ride of any theme park. If you're staying onsite you'll be able to get early entry into the park; you might want to do that while your in-laws sleep in. Once you get in, make a beeline for Forbidden Journey. You'll be able to ride it a couple of times before the lines get really long (Express Pass is not used for this ride). Then, since you are the thrill-ride type, you might want to head over Rip Ride Rockit, since you can't use Express Pass for that either. That is a serious head-rush ride! All the other rides/attractions you can utilize Express Pass on, I believe.

When we were there a couple of years ago, we stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel, it was great. Because of Express Pass we were able to ride our favorites multiple times (love the Mummy and Spiderman rides!) Keep in mind that the "water rides" like Ripsaw Falls and Bilge-Rats Barges, even Jurassic Park, will probably not be as appealing in January, as you will get wet and chilly.

One nice thing about Universal is that they always seem to be updating current attractions and adding new ones. I hope to go back in the near future so that I can see the new Transformers 3D and Despicable Me attractions. :thumbsup:

MizMissy
07-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Then, since you are the thrill-ride type, you might want to head over Rip Ride Rockit, since you can't use Express Pass for that either. That is a serious head-rush ride! All the other rides/attractions you can utilize Express Pass on, I believe.

:thumbsup:

Great advice all. However, the great news is Rip Ride Rock It now has Express Pass too!! I still recommend riding this one early because it does tend to break down a bit. You do not want to miss it, it really is an amazing ride!! The front seat is the best seat in the house.

MNNHFLTX
07-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Great advice all. However, the great news is Rip Ride Rock It now has Express Pass too!! I still recommend riding this one early because it does tend to break down a bit. You do not want to miss it, it really is an amazing ride!! The front seat is the best seat in the house.Good to know that's changed. They also have a single-rider line that helped get us through quicker. :)

Melanie
07-29-2013, 04:42 PM
We lived in FL for three years. Being the Disney nut I am, I resisted going to Universal the first 2 years we lived there. What a mistake! It's a great resort, and in fact has 3 of the best rides I've ever been on (Forbidden Journey, Revenge of the Mummy and Spider-Man). They give anything at Disney a run for their money.

Beth gives great advice - be excited! Being that you are a HP nut, you're going to be in awe. Can't wait to hear what you think. I bet you'll wanna go back. ;)

joonyer
07-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Many of Universal's ride attractions are "state of the art" technology in the theme park industry. You may find less overall "magic" in the overall experience, but the actual attractions are second to none. Some of the areas theming is absolutely amazing (Wizarding World). I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

NJGIRL
07-30-2013, 08:57 PM
As I mentioned before Universal does not mirror Disney and if you can go into it with that in mind you should have a great time.

Here are some of my favorites and tips from my visits.

If you plan on eating at the Hard Rock Café or Margaritaville make sure to make reservations. What is nice about Universal is that they don't take reservations until 60 to 90 days prior.

Universal has some very good quick service restaurants. A few of my favorites..... Beverly Hills Boulangerie in the Studio has very good fresh to order sandwiches, and according to my husband the creamiest cheesecake, even better than the Cheesecake Factory. Their select is huge and they have all kinds of pastry. It is very small and service moves slow so go either by 11:30 or mid-afternoon.

Blondies at IOA also has made to order fresh sandwiches which are good. And believe it or not Café 4 has pretty good pizza.

Finnegan's is my favorite table service restaurant in the Studio.

Pastamore in City Walk has really good Italian food.

As mentioned, make sure you get the Butter Beer. I have only heard one person ever say they didn't like it. My family likes the frozen hands down.

If you buy a refill cup don't throw it out after your visit. We bought one last year and they told us it is good forever. No need to buy one every year.

NJGIRL
07-30-2013, 09:24 PM
As far as attractions...there is not much not to like.

The Harry Potter area will blow you away, especially the castle. My tip is to be at the gate at 8:00 to take advantage of early entry for hotel guests. Even if you want to stop and look around don't. Go right to FJ because that hour will pass quickly. This is very important...NOTHING is allowed on the ride so they provide lockers to store your stuff while on the ride, but this can sometimes be an ordeal in itself, so I strongly suggest, if possible, don't bring anything into the park that doesn't fit into your pockets.

Hilights at IOA besides HP are Spiderman such a cool ride, any of the water rides are great, Poseidon Fury is a unique experience.

My favorite park is the Studio. ET is such a cute ride (can compare to Peter Pan as far as ride type). Shrek is not to miss, it's so cool. Terminator is another unique experience. Twister, Men in Black, the Simpsons are fun attractions. By far the Mummy, IMO anyway, is the best themed ride, after FJ, I have ever seen. You really feel like you are in the movie!
A hidden gem is the Monster Make Up Show...we go every visit. Great show!