PDA

View Full Version : Need some restaurant suggestions

disneygoofball
07-28-2013, 05:42 PM
We're less than 180 days out, and I'm trying to make ADRs, but we think we'd like to try some new restaurants this trip. So...I figured what better place to come for advice than to my fellow Intercotees! These restaurants are already on our to do list:
Crystal Palace
Teppan Edo
'Ohana
Kona Cafe (for some Tonga Toast) :tasty:
Coral Reef
Liberty Tree Tavern

With the exception of Coral Reef, those are our standard "must do" restaurants. Can you give us some good suggestions for trying new things? Particularly, I'm curious about Yak & Yeti - the menu looked good, but I'm curious about the atmosphere or any other info from people who've been there.

As a side note, we'll have three kids in our party (ages 4, 7, and 10). Thanks in advance for the help! :mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
07-28-2013, 06:06 PM
We rarely resort hop for meals, but we tried it last trip, 9/12.
We tried Cape May dinner, probably best meal of the trip.
We had ADRs for 1900 Park Faire, but somehow it got screwed up. My schedule had a 6:30 seating, they said it was for 8:45. Being diabetic, I could not wait that long. So they got us into GF Café. My $20 burger was OK, but that was the only item that I wanted. I won't be back.
I can recommend Biergarten, Le Cellier, even though its over-priced. If you can get in, Hoop-De-Doo is a blast.

faline
07-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Have you been to Hoop De Doo? That might be a good choice with kids in your age brackets.

Some of my favorites include:
- Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast or lunch
- Plaza Restaurant in the Magic Kingdom for lunch - love the milkshakes
Jiko's in Animal Kingdom Lodge - if your kids are typically good diners this might be a nice place to try
Boma's also in Animal Kingdom Lodge - buffet
Rose n Crown; San Angel Inn; and La Hacienda - all in Epcot
Brown Derby - Disney Studios

SBETigg
07-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Yak and Yeti is a good choice. Not a favorite for me, but I've always had good meals and the atmosphere is actually pretty cool. It's a lot like the queue for Expedition: Everest, loaded with actual Tibetan art and artifacts. It's very casual, but there's lots to look at. It feels more like a chain restaurant, honestly (and it is part of the Landry's restaurant family, along with Rainforest Cafe). Save room for the cream cheese wonton dessert, one of the best things on the menu.

I also like Grand Floridian Cafe, Raglan Road, Kouzzina, Sanaa, Boma, and Via Napoli.

Keneva
07-28-2013, 08:40 PM
This recommendation will most likely get panned by others but we found Hollywood & Vine (in 2012) to be much better than its historically bad reviews indicated. The buffet presented a very good variety of food for our party of 4 picky eaters (51, 48, 10 & 6 Y.O.) and the food quality was much better than expected (again based on the bad reviews we read). It had an excellent dessert selection! It reminded me of a Golden Coral type restaurant. It was busy and a bit noisy and our crew fit right in. :soapbox:

Zippy 1
07-29-2013, 12:02 AM
I agree that with kiddos your kids ages - Hoop de doo revue is a great choice. We also loved Cape May Cafe and 1900 Park Fare

disneygoofball
07-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the responses! :thumbsup:

Hoop de Doo sounds fun, but we've already booked CRT breakfast for the kiddos (all girls), and aren't going to pay the money for another big meal production. Maybe on another trip.

I wasn't a big fan of GF restaurants when we stayed there, but perhaps we should reconsider. With all the good reviews it may be worth another shot. The girls are all picky eaters, so they'll pretty much have hot dogs or hamburgers wherever we eat :rolleyes: That's the reason we're doing Be Our Guest at lunch instead of dinner. As much as we'd love to enjoy the dinner menu, the kids wouldn't eat anything.

One person in our group has requested Le Cellier, but I was underwhelmed last time we ate there - it seemed like the food had gone downhill. Any input on whether that's worth using one of our table service credits? (we're on the dining plan).

Thanks again, and please keep the suggestions coming! :mickey:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-29-2013, 02:28 PM
I wasn't a big fan of GF restaurants when we stayed there, but perhaps we should reconsider. With all the good reviews it may be worth another shot. The girls are all picky eaters, so they'll pretty much have hot dogs or hamburgers wherever we eat :rolleyes: That's the reason we're doing Be Our Guest at lunch instead of dinner. As much as we'd love to enjoy the dinner menu, the kids wouldn't eat anything.

One person in our group has requested Le Cellier, but I was underwhelmed last time we ate there - it seemed like the food had gone downhill. Any input on whether that's worth using one of our table service credits? (we're on the dining plan).

Thanks again, and please keep the suggestions coming! :mickey:

We have 3 DD (6-8-10) and they really liked the character interaction at 1900 Park Fair. I also thought of the buffets it was definitely one of the better ones.

Just as an fyi to your LeCellier comment, its 2TS to dine there, not one, which will probably lower your opinion even more.

disneygoofball
07-29-2013, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=Just as an fyi to your LeCellier comment, its 2TS to dine there, not one, which will probably lower your opinion even more.[/QUOTE]

:eek: Yep. I think we can cross that one off our list!

GoBlueLacheta
07-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Last time we traveled it was our first time at Jiko...definitely one of our favorites now.

Love Grand Floridan Cafe for Lunch.

If your kids love burgers then Beaches and Cream is worth a visit but they don't take ADR's.

ginger19
08-02-2013, 09:25 AM
One of our surprise hits this past year was Raglan Road. I would highly reccomend it!

disneylovinmom
08-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Sci Fi at Hollywood studios is a fun place to eat. They have really good burgers and shakes.It isn't fancy, but a really fun experience sitting in the cars that are your tables and watching the drive in movie.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-03-2013, 12:35 PM
I bet your kids would love T-Rex! I enjoyed it, atmoshpere and food! :mickey:

DizNut42
08-03-2013, 02:05 PM
A definite second for Beaches and Cream :thumbsup::thumbsup: your girls will love it. We go there at least once every trip - even when not staying at BCV.

Also, a definite second for the T-Rex Cafe :thumbsup: we like it much better than the Rain Forest Cafe. And if your girls are anything like mine, they will love the dinosaur theme...

Cinderelley
08-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Raglan Road is amazing. It is loud though, so if you have a sensitive little one, it may not be the best choice.

Gauis2001
08-09-2013, 05:15 PM
We really like the Brown Derby and Liberty Tree for lunch and 9 Dragons for lunch or dinner. Beaches and Cream is fun, especially the Kitchen Sink, but it gets a bit crowded at times and you might have a wait. If you want to spend a bit more, Nacroossees, Citricos, Rose and Crown and Canada are all great!

Kenny1113
08-10-2013, 06:40 AM
Sci Fi at Hollywood studios is a fun place to eat. They have really good burgers and shakes.It isn't fancy, but a really fun experience sitting in the cars that are your tables and watching the drive in movie.

:ditto:

My favorite at wdw is Boma.
They have a section of typical kids fare so you won't have to worry about your picky eaters. ;)

CaptSmee
08-10-2013, 10:38 AM
I am not a fan of Yak & Yeti. I enjoy Rainforest Cafe much more & its always quiet at breakfast time. You are already eating at my favorite places but with the kids in your age group I'd second Sci-fi dine inn or chef mickeys is always fun

Jen1984
08-13-2013, 11:59 PM
We haven't tried Yak & Yeti at AK yet, but we have done breakfast and lunch at Tusker House and we all loved both. Food is superb, with options for picky eaters, character interaction was great (Goofy was nearly knocked out by my stepson to great comic effect:blush: ) and we found it less noisy/chaotic than other places we went to!

disneynarula
08-14-2013, 03:44 AM
We love Boma and Marrakesh!

some of our other favorites that are off the beaten path are...

Captain's Grille and
Grand Floridian Cafe
Olivia's Cafe

We booked free dining at the last minute a few years ago and had to scramble for ADRs. It was almost a blessing in disguise because we discovered a few gems that we would not have booked if we had more notice.

disneynarula
08-14-2013, 03:50 AM
I bet your kids would love T-Rex! I enjoyed it, atmoshpere and food! :mickey:

Not to put down someone else's favorite but if you or anyone in your party is sensitive to loud noises this place can be pretty miserable. My son spent the whole night with his hands over his ears. His does not have any sort of sensory issue but it was really loud.

We could barely hold a conversation with the people at our own table.

However, my food was yummy and atmosphere was pretty cool, especially with dino lovers. It just was not for us. We use meal times to escape from the craziness of the parks.