PDA

View Full Version : Mount Rushmore

NJGIRL
07-23-2013, 06:48 PM
I need some help. We are thinking about going to Mount Rushmore next summer. My question is ...Is there enough to do in the area for a week.

It looks like we would be flying into Denver and driving 6 hours to Keystone. Maybe staying in that area for a couple of days, then going to the Deadwood Area for a couple of days.

We have been to the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. I know those national parks are much bigger but just reading about the area isn't giving me a good idea about the extent of attractions.

For those who have been to both places can you tell me how they compare.

Also need info above the elevation in SD. I had a little trouble with the altitude in Yellowstone and need to know how that compares before booking the trip.

I also will never book another hotel without AC in the summer. Yellowstone didn't have it and told me it wasn't needed. IMO during the day it was too hot not to have it. I think we would have been more comfortable sleeping at night if we had it too.

Altair
07-23-2013, 07:16 PM
You can fill a week in the Black Hills and nearby areas. The elevation should not be a problem, probably 4,000 feet max.

Things to do in Black Hills: Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse Memorial.
Nearby: Badlands National Park, Wall Drug
Farther away: Fort Laramie, Oregon Trail wagon ruts.

Well worth the trip. :thumbsup:

DakotaDisney
07-23-2013, 08:38 PM
There are plenty of things to do for a week in that part of SD. Of course it does depend on what you like to do. But it sounds like you like the outdoors and National/State Parks, so you should find lots to do.
Mt. Rushmore, Needles Highway, Jewel Cave, Custer State Park, Crazy Horse Memorial are all great.
There is also Deadwood, Sturgis and Spearfish with-in a short driving distance.
There are Hot Springs in the south and lots of tourist traps in the Rapid City area like a waterpark, Mystery Spot, Bear Country, Reptile World. There is a mall in Rapid City and other shopping around the area.
There are also helicopter rides, guided and self guided hikes, horseback riding companies.
There is a Passion Play, but I don't remember what town that is in.

NJGIRL
07-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks...we did fine in Salt Lake City and I think the elevation there is a little over 4,000. We also were OK at the Grand Canyon' s South Rim which I believe is around 5,000. When we stayed in Yellowstone's Old Faithful we were at almost 8,000 and traveled to a little over 10,000. I just wasn't comfortable for most of the trip. I'm so glad we did the trip, I loved it but can't see me purposely going into another trip knowing I would feel that way again.

I could see there was many things to see, but couldn't get a grasp on how much time you would need to spend on each attraction. Most sources say three hours at Mount Rushmore is enough time to do everything.

What is Needles Highway. That is one place I have not read about. I'm sure we will stay away from Sturgis since we would be going in August.

A few more questions. Do most hotels have AC? Are all of the attractions that were mentioned interesting enough to do day after day.. How far is Deadwood from Keystone?

Is Keystone a good location to stay to explore Rushmore, the Black Hills & the Badlands. How many days are needed for this area?

How many days do you need in Deadwood? What else is around there?

Also how is the drive from Denver to Keystone.....and Keystone to Deadwood?

Altair
07-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Needles Highway is a scenic drive with some very narrow tunnels. No trucks with campers allowed.
Motels do have AC.
Three hours should be more than enough time for Mt Rushmore.

Do hit Devil's Tower if you can, I think it's the highlight of that area.

Tick-Tock
07-25-2013, 01:17 PM
In addition to the attractions listed above, there is a mammoth excavation site and a wild horse sanctuary in Hot Springs SD.

Next to Badlands National Park is the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site, which offers tours of a missile control facility. It was very interesting.

I loved Custer State Park. I've seen bison every time there. Once the herd was walking down the highway, just surrounding the car.

NJGIRL
07-25-2013, 02:01 PM
How far is Devil's Tower....I know it's in Wyoming.

Yes, I did see the Mammoth Dig Site. It looked interesting.

The Wild Horse Sanctuary .....is it a true sanctuary that protects the horses there or do they slaughter them also.

We saw a lot of Buffalo in Yellowstone and I love seeing them but would love to see a bear or moose. Any chance of that.

Altair
07-25-2013, 07:27 PM
How far is Devil's Tower....I know it's in Wyoming.

Devil's Tower is 56 miles from Spearfish, SD.

If you are flying into Denver, take I-25 north through Cheyenne, WY to US 26 east to Guernsey for the wagon ruts and Fort Laramie. Keep going on US 26 east to US 85 north. That will take you to Spearfish. Devil's Tower is west of Spearfish and Mt Rushmore is east.
:thumbsup:

NJGIRL
07-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

Not sure what we are going to do, but should decide soon!

Scott C
07-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Do yourself a favor and google newton fork ranch just outside hill city. Those cabins were great. We spent four nights there a few years back. Spent quite a bit of time in the miata driving around needles highway and especially Custer state park. Watching the buffalo roam free was really cool. There is a train ride from hill city to keystone that was pretty good also. Being into airplanes a bit, I enjoyed the museum at Ellsworth afb in rapid city. We really had a great time, but it was just the wife and I. It was so relaxing, the anti-wdw vacation I suppose

Thanks
Scott c

NJGIRL
07-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Thanks Scott!

Janmac
07-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Stop in, while you're in Custer State Park, at the State Game Lodge. This building is amazing. Calvin Coolidge used to use it as his summer "White House". I love historical old buildings in the parks in the west.

If possible, have a meal here. One of our evening meals was in the State Game Lodge. The menu had great things like bison, trout, and elk.

We spent a weekend at the State Game Lodge area for a family reunion and had plenty of stuff to do. Some of us train fans had to spend a morning on the excursion train. It's only okay and probably missable unless you're a train nut. Google excursion train Black Hills and you'll likely find info.

Definitely do the wild road, or whatever it's called, in the park. But try to stay in your car for photos of the bison. Some of our group also went up to the Bluebell area, I think it was, for horseback riding.

Jan

Scott C
07-28-2013, 10:38 PM
Stop in, while you're in Custer State Park, at the State Game Lodge. This building is amazing. Calvin Coolidge used to use it as his summer "White House". I love historical old buildings in the parks in the west.

If possible, have a meal here. One of our evening meals was in the State Game Lodge. The menu had great things like bison, trout, and elk.

We spent a weekend at the State Game Lodge area for a family reunion and had plenty of stuff to do. Some of us train fans had to spend a morning on the excursion train. It's only okay and probably missable unless you're a train nut. Google excursion train Black Hills and you'll likely find info.

Definitely do the wild road, or whatever it's called, in the park. But try to stay in your car for photos of the bison. Some of our group also went up to the Bluebell area, I think it was, for horseback riding.

Jan

Somewhere I have a photo of one of our experiences in Custer state park. It was just after dark and the bison were returning to their quarters. We were stopped in the middle of the road as there were no other places we could go. Two male bison got into some sort of argument right in front of our very vulnerable miata. They were rearing up and really going at it. Luckily they stopped before they hit us. I could just imagine explaining to our insurance agent how our car was totaled by bison fallin on us......

Great memory from a great trip......

Scott C