PDA

View Full Version : Main Street USA to Receive Concrete Replacement

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2013, 02:33 PM
Beginning tomorrow, July 23rd, Main Street USA will have its concrete replaced... The concrete replacement project will begin by the Emporium entrance... The portal for Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom game will be out of use to the public during this time...

The entire project will last through September and will cause some disruption to the parades...

Rumored to be part of this replacement is the removal of all the curbs along Main Street and to make them one long ramp, like they currently have on the corners...

KylesMom
07-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Rumored to be part of this replacement is the removal of all the curbs along Main Street and to make them one long ramp, like they currently have on the corners...
That would make sooooo much sense. I can't count how many times I've seen guests taking it all in when they enter The Happiest Place on Earth, only to end up as a heap on the ground because they didn't see the step up (or down). Hope this isn't just a rumor! :mickey:

Stu29573
07-22-2013, 02:53 PM
Yeah, because so many Main Streets have no curbs in front of their stores...:thumbsup: Really, if you fall off of a curb, maybe you should have been paying attention.... I see it as more of an ADA issue.

Roger's #1 Fan
07-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Really??? One of the things everyone points to that Disney does well is themeing. A street with defined curbs and walking areas, a place/edge to sit at while waiting for a parade. Just make it more generic... why even bother calling it Main Street... just call Entranceway USA....

Sorry to rant, just ticks me off that they have to mess with everything.

Hammer
07-22-2013, 03:00 PM

That would make sooooo much sense. I can't count how many times I've seen guests taking it all in when they enter The Happiest Place on Earth, only to end up as a heap on the ground because they didn't see the step up (or down). Hope this isn't just a rumor! :mickey:

As someone who has been one of those heaps :blush: , I agree with this change!

Also, this will make it easier when we are pushing Mom's wheelchair. If there is a group of people blocking the sidewalk, we have to hope they'll work with us and let us go through. With this change, we can just push the wheelchair into the street without having to deal with getting the wheelchair over the curb.

kakn7294
07-22-2013, 04:57 PM
While I like the look of the curbs against the street and I personally don't have any issues navigating them, I can see where this could be a vast improvement at parade and fireworks time when the street is full of people, strollers, wheelchairs, and scooters.

Hammer
07-22-2013, 05:11 PM
I was thinking about this and I can see where someone pushing a stroller will love this as well. When I was watching the live streaming of the All Nighter and I was watching all these people pushing strollers over the curb, I was waiting for a wipeout of a kid coming out of the stroller if they hit the curb the wrong way!

Edit- Kathy and I were typing at the same time!

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2013, 06:48 PM
From a CM:

Concrete replacement on south block of Main Street, U.S.A.
A two-month project to replace concrete in Magic Kingdom Park near Emporium, Main Street Confectionery and part of Town Square kicks off Monday, July 22, after park close.

During the first phase of work, approximately July 23-31, the corner entrance to Emporium (facing Town Square) will not be available so that the sidewalks in that area can be replaced. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom portal located outside Emporium will be temporarily taken out of the game since it will not be accessible. The portal will return to operation as soon as work completes in the area

For the duration of the project, there will be modifications to the Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Street Party route and schedule, Celebrate A Dream Come True Parade route, Main Street Electrical Parade route, Main Street Vehicles and Main Street Trolley Show route and schedule.

Altair
07-22-2013, 07:07 PM
People will still trip over the slope, why not just pour the concrete to the top of the curb so it will be flat all the way across? :blush:
I wonder how many people a year twist their ankles in the trolley track?

Mickey'sGirl
07-22-2013, 07:49 PM
People will still trip over the slope, why not just pour the concrete to the top of the curb so it will be flat all the way across? :blush:

:wave: Every year since '71. :(

kakn7294
07-22-2013, 08:29 PM
I wonder how many people a year twist their ankles in the trolley track?I have no idea but a few years ago, I almost dumped my mother from her wheelchair by catching a front wheel in the track. :blush:

joonyer
07-23-2013, 11:26 AM
What? . . . slanted sidewalks? They didn't have those in Marceline. I can't believe how much more they are getting away from Walt's idea of his home-town "turn of the century" Main St. Heck they probably didn't even have paved streets back then. I think they should go back to a dirt street and wooden sidewalks, then we'd have some real authenticity. First, a Starbucks, and now this. Bah! Humbug! :humph: ;)

barnaby
07-23-2013, 12:35 PM
During the first phase of work, approximately July 23-31, the corner entrance to Emporium (facing Town Square) will not be available so that the sidewalks in that area can be replaced. The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom portal located outside Emporium will be temporarily taken out of the game since it will not be accessible. The portal will return to operation as soon as work completes in the area

I wonder if they are just replacing the curb ramps at the corners?

Mickey'sGirl
07-23-2013, 01:27 PM
What? . . . slanted sidewalks? They didn't have those in Marceline. I can't believe how much more they are getting away from Walt's idea of his home-town "turn of the century" Main St. Heck they probably didn't even have paved streets back then. I think they should go back to a dirt street and wooden sidewalks, then we'd have some real authenticity. First, a Starbucks, and now this. Bah! Humbug! :humph: ;)They wouldn't have had air conditioning or indoor fancy washrooms either, but we all enjoy them! ;) Gotta roll with the times. I think with the number of strollers and wheelchairs, it is a really good idea from risk analysis point of view.

lightyearfan
07-23-2013, 01:38 PM
horrible just leave it as it is, ramps please dont ruin the beauty of main street

Katzateer
07-24-2013, 09:14 AM
I hate this idea. It is going to be hard to be comfortable while waiting for a parade or resting on Main Street. It is nice to be able to sit on a curb.

And it will look strange to have a Main Street with store fronts and no curbs.:(

The Horned King
07-24-2013, 09:22 AM
I also don't like the idea of no curbs. People just need to open there eyes a bit more these days. Curbs exist all over the world. Just because it is disney doesn't mean there is a claim. Disney generally fall over backwards to help the disabled. But removing the curbs is a step too far I think. Thats why they have dropped sections so they can get up to the shops and restaurants.

Bay Lake
07-24-2013, 09:50 AM

I hope it is just rumored as stated above. Main Street without curbs, what's next?

seanyred
07-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Wow people are upset about a rumor about curbs? I'm not sure how many of you pushed a stroller or a wheel chair or drove a ECV down Main Street USA. It is a challenge to say the least. If the curbs remain people will manage as they always have. If they are removed then the foot traffic will flow better. Either way I don't see it as a big deal.

PopPhan
07-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Wow people are upset about a rumor about curbs? I'm not sure how many of you pushed a stroller or a wheel chair or drove a ECV down Main Street USA. It is a challenge to say the least. If the curbs remain people will manage as they always have. If they are removed then the foot traffic will flow better. Either way I don't see it as a big deal.

Thank you for that breath of reality. This should not be a really big deal and may be more federal and local regulations than anything else.

VWL Mom
07-24-2013, 11:25 AM
It appears the same rumor circulated back in 2005 when they were redoing the hub. The ADA has specific guidelines for ramping curbs (height, length, distance to building, etc), simply slanting a curb doesn't fit the requirements. It will be interesting to see what actually occurs this time.

MyDisneyworld
07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
As a long time stroller user I would prefer it if they made the change. I have never had a huge issue with the curb personally but have seen many people flip over it. I don't think it would take away anything and would be much safer. As I move out of the stroller phase (last trip with one hopefully) of my life it will only be a matter of time that I enter the scooter phase when I can't just manage the curb.

Stu29573
07-25-2013, 09:45 AM
As an educator, I am against the generalized "dumbing down of America." If people can't figure out curbs, maybe they should take some "getting from point A to point B on a street" classes. After all, what's next? Removing doors so people won't walk into them? Banning windows so people won't try to stick their heads out and hit the glass? Wow, the mind boggles....

The Horned King
07-26-2013, 09:25 AM
As an educator, I am against the generalized "dumbing down of America." If people can't figure out curbs, maybe they should take some "getting from point A to point B on a street" classes. After all, what's next? Removing doors so people won't walk into them? Banning windows so people won't try to stick their heads out and hit the glass? Wow, the mind boggles....

My sentiments exactly... I still have to wonder why they have to have stickers in every ride vehicle about remaining seated and keeping your hands and arms in. You would have thought people could have figured that out for themselves.

Or the really bad one. Caution! Contents may be hot.... On a cup of coffee? Really? I would complain if it was served cold! :confused:

Stu29573
07-26-2013, 10:18 AM
My sentiments exactly... I still have to wonder why they have to have stickers in every ride vehicle about remaining seated and keeping your hands and arms in. You would have thought people could have figured that out for themselves.

Or the really bad one. Caution! Contents may be hot.... On a cup of coffee? Really? I would complain if it was served cold! :confused:
Lol, true! :thumbsup:

PopPhan
07-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Had the person in the McDonald's Coffee incident not won a large court settlement in that case, these things would not be necessary. Unfortunately, that case has created a large number of 'monsters' in that anyone will sue for anything if there are not large, easily readable warnings on just about everything!

SandmanGStefani24
07-27-2013, 01:20 AM
What? . . . slanted sidewalks? They didn't have those in Marceline. I can't believe how much more they are getting away from Walt's idea of his home-town "turn of the century" Main St. Heck they probably didn't even have paved streets back then. I think they should go back to a dirt street and wooden sidewalks, then we'd have some real authenticity. First, a Starbucks, and now this. Bah! Humbug! :humph: ;)

LOL I'm with you on this one!

PirateLover
07-27-2013, 11:32 AM
My feeling is that this really does not hurt anyone, and actually would help many. While I am also one who likes to sit on the curb for parades, it's a minor inconvenience for me to give that up if it makes navigating crowds easier for the countless number of people pushing strollers and wheelchairs etc. (And as far as we know right now this is only being done for Main Street, not the entire park, So there may still be plenty of curbs to sit on).
I don't really see this as an example of the dumbing down of America nor do I think it is a result of a litigious society. I think it is just meant to make things easier. Where else on earth do you have that many strollers/wheelchairs/scooters concentrated in one place? Many of us are lucky to be able to travel to WDW multiple times and avoid peak crowds, which can be an absolute nightmare on Main Street after the fireworks for example, with so many people trying to get in and out of stores for their last minute shopping and the throngs trying to exit the park. Someone who is walking has the option of maneuvering around people and stepping on and off of the sidewalk. Someone in a wheelchair or an ECV does not have that option.

For those who are against this or can't imagine it, I ask you to think about your grocery trips. When I go to the local ShopRite, there is only one small ramp available to walk your cart to your car. It is a bit far from the entrance and on a busy (or especially a rainy) day, the area gets congested with everyone trying to use the sloped area. Sure you can forge ahead and risk just going off the curb, but if you have a full cart that can be a dangerous undertaking! Meanwhile at our local Wegmans, almost the entire curb is gradually slanted to allow free movement of carts back and forth. There is a normal sidewalk and then by the edge it is red and has little bumps on it to slow you down a little so the cart doesn't go flying. Visually, it's very nicely done and I bet you 90% of the people just go on their merry way, and don't even notice the fact that the curb is slanted, but if they stopped to think about it they'd realize how much easier it is. Just my :twocents:

ronandjulie
07-27-2013, 06:45 PM
I think it makes sense because there are more electric scooter and strollers in the MK than cars in it's parking lot.

Altair
07-27-2013, 07:06 PM
People not being able to navigate curbs reminded me of this Far Side cartoon: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/65/228428783_066e28c3ae.jpg

Main Street Jim
07-27-2013, 10:49 PM
The very distinct color difference between the sidewalks (red) and the street (dark grey) is/was supposed to help guests differentiate between where the edge of the sidewalk is, and the street.

If people can't navigate a sidewalk and tell the difference when they step off of a curb of just a few inches in height...then, in my opinion, they need to pay more attention. :P

But, then again, as a former Main Street Cast Member, I can't tell you how many guests in ECVs, or guests pushing strollers, have run off the end/edge of the sidewalks and been *dumped*, literally, into the street.

I guess my next..."hope"...is that this doesn't cause guests to overflow out into the streets during parades. Can't tell ya how many people I've had to get up out of the street even with the curbs with 10-ton parade floats coming at them.

The Horned King
07-28-2013, 05:23 AM
I think my view on it is, is that people have managed to navigate curbs for the past 30+ years. Why is society suddenly struggling with curbs? lol.

PopPhan
07-28-2013, 11:04 AM
I think my view on it is, is that people have managed to navigate curbs for the past 30+ years. Why is society suddenly struggling with curbs? lol.

I don't think it is a "sudden" thing. There has been a growing usage of ECVs and other 'assistance' devices over the past decade and with the safety issues Disney had for rides and visitor areas earlier this year, this is a (maybe little overzealous) proactive rehab.

Sometimes, people need to think that some of these changes are not necessarily Disney ideas, but are required by other local, federal and OSHA regulations. I don't know if that is the case in this instance, but it would not surprise me in the least.

As far as making it easier for visitor to end up in the path of the parade....I would guess that you will see ropes set up, like at crossing areas, all along the route -- using the existing lampposts, where available, and temporary posts elsewhere.

These are just suppositions on my part, so take them with healthy "grains of salt." :D

Terra
07-28-2013, 10:58 PM
My feeling is that this really does not hurt anyone, and actually would help many. While I am also one who likes to sit on the curb for parades, it's a minor inconvenience for me to give that up if it makes navigating crowds easier for the countless number of people pushing strollers and wheelchairs etc. (And as far as we know right now this is only being done for Main Street, not the entire park, So there may still be plenty of curbs to sit on).
I don't really see this as an example of the dumbing down of America nor do I think it is a result of a litigious society. I think it is just meant to make things easier. Where else on earth do you have that many strollers/wheelchairs/scooters concentrated in one place? Many of us are lucky to be able to travel to WDW multiple times and avoid peak crowds, which can be an absolute nightmare on Main Street after the fireworks for example, with so many people trying to get in and out of stores for their last minute shopping and the throngs trying to exit the park. Someone who is walking has the option of maneuvering around people and stepping on and off of the sidewalk. Someone in a wheelchair or an ECV does not have that option.

For those who are against this or can't imagine it, I ask you to think about your grocery trips. When I go to the local ShopRite, there is only one small ramp available to walk your cart to your car. It is a bit far from the entrance and on a busy (or especially a rainy) day, the area gets congested with everyone trying to use the sloped area. Sure you can forge ahead and risk just going off the curb, but if you have a full cart that can be a dangerous undertaking! Meanwhile at our local Wegmans, almost the entire curb is gradually slanted to allow free movement of carts back and forth. There is a normal sidewalk and then by the edge it is red and has little bumps on it to slow you down a little so the cart doesn't go flying. Visually, it's very nicely done and I bet you 90% of the people just go on their merry way, and don't even notice the fact that the curb is slanted, but if they stopped to think about it they'd realize how much easier it is. Just my :twocents:

Great post, and I agree.

As an educator as well, AND the parent of an ASD/SPD child who uses a stroller as a wheelchair device, I must be in the "dumb crowd". I see this helping so greatly. When it's nearly wall to wall people and you're trying to get around, it's tough to maneuver a stroller, with a 50 lb child, over the curb then around and back down [still dodging people].
I will appreciate this change very much! :)

It's funny to see people getting so rattled by every change Disney makes. Like I've said before though, I'm a rose-colored glasses Disney sell out :blush:. I just see everything as change and progress. It's the way of life.

Arielfan98
07-28-2013, 11:47 PM
I'm personally upset Disney has chosen to do so many refurbs during my vacation this year. I will be going in mid-August.

1. All Star Sports food court is being refurbished, so that means those guests may crowd up my hotel (ASM) food court.

2. Spaceship Earth is going to close on the 18th (I will be there before the 18th but my friends will not arrive till after that which means I can't ride it with them)

3. Now more MS refurbs and the Starbucks :mad:
Oh and for the record I'm not against the refurb I'm just angry with the timing like you think Disney could pick a better time like when less people go to Disney

PopPhan
07-29-2013, 07:59 AM
3. Now more MS refurbs and the Starbucks :mad:
Oh and for the record I'm not against the refurb I'm just angry with the timing like you think Disney could pick a better time like when less people go to Disney

Unfortunately, there are really no times when 'less people go to Disney' anymore. Even the "slow" seasons have picked up, as people are planning their trips better and things like Food and Wine and Flower and Garden pull them in.

My trips are primarily late September or early December....Not only am I hit with refurbs, the park hours are cut so there is less time to get everything in anyway. You just have to play the cards you are dealt and make the most of it.

Enjoy your visit!!

Arielfan98
07-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately, there are really no times when 'less people go to Disney' anymore. Even the "slow" seasons have picked up, as people are planning their trips better and things like Food and Wine and Flower and Garden pull them in.

My trips are primarily late September or early December....Not only am I hit with refurbs, the park hours are cut so there is less time to get everything in anyway. You just have to play the cards you are dealt and make the most of it.

Enjoy your visit!!

Thanks for the information that does make me feel better although I do still wish they picked any other time than Summer that's all but thank you :)

IamBelle
07-30-2013, 12:11 PM

I was in a Disney Parade with my marching band for Disney Music Days in 2010 and I was one of the lucky ones who had to walk the entire time with one foot on the tracks...it was even more difficult to walk since I had a bass drum on and couldn't see any of the street in front of me! I was trying so hard not to fall and look like a complete fool!!

Giggy
07-30-2013, 02:16 PM
I can see why they are doing this and I am sure if they think about it they will be able to make the change look tasteful and not detract from the aesthetics. :mickey:

Thanks for the information that does make me feel better although I do still wish they picked any other time than Summer that's all but thank you :)

As a constantly evolving process I think it's inevitable that something will be down for work at any given time.

At times you can just be very unlucky. On our last two visits (2010, 2004) It's a Small World was down for maintenance so our last ride on that was 2001. I try and think of it as something for next time... even if in our case we are next considering 2016 so we'll have gone 15 years without IASW!!! :drama:

CuteAsMinnie
08-01-2013, 09:00 AM
We were there July 18-27....no construction on Main Street whatsoever ever.

No seats in Starbucks., dozens, literally, of guests sprawled out on the store. No curbs on Main Street certainly will give it more of a mall look.

No curbs to sit on for parades... People will plop themselves on the ground in random spots

How many guests have twisted their ankle in the tracks??? Probably as many as twisted their ankle crossing RR tracks, street car tracks (back in the day), walking along the tracks. And falling off a curb? Yes, we all have done it at some point in our lives because we were not watching where we were going.

Geez Louise!

(Love the comment about removing doors and windows btw:thumbsup:)

merciantinkerbell
08-01-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm fence sitting on this one. Yes I see the point that removing the curbs would ruin authenticity and the responsibility people should have for themselves BUT conversely, with hubby in wheelchair we had trouble finding a spot to get on/off pavement that wasn't clogged with people! Perhaps more ramps or make existing ramps bigger but not remove curbs completely would be good. However, I understand its all rumours so far so lets see what happens

Mrs Bus Driver
08-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Yeah! lets hear it for authenticity, can't wait to drive my EVC over those wooden sidewalks!:funny:

brownie
08-01-2013, 12:07 PM

Paved streets in one form or another have been around since the 1800's. Brick was also a common paving material for roads back in the day.

Terra
08-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Brick all the way down would actually look pretty amazing I think! Though it may not hold up under the huge crowds for long! :)

joonyer
08-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Paved streets in one form or another have been around since the 1800's. Brick was also a common paving material for roads back in the day.

True, but I bet the streets in Marceline, Missouri weren't paved in 1900. It wasn't exactly New York or Chicago, or even St. Louis. At any rate, I was only making a joke about the fervent WDW purists complaining about the conversion of the Main Street Bakery into a location that sold Starbucks coffee. No Starbucks in Marceline, either, you know. :D

seanyred
08-01-2013, 06:44 PM
True, but I bet the streets in Marceline, Missouri weren't paved in 1900. It wasn't exactly New York or Chicago, or even St. Louis. At any rate, I was only making a joke about the fervent WDW purists complaining about the conversion of the Main Street Bakery into a location that sold Starbucks coffee. No Starbucks in Marceline, either, you know. :D

Also don't forget the store front windows wouldn't be that low in Marceline to accommodate kids. :secret:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-01-2013, 07:24 PM
So is this just a rumour or what? No construction going on so far?....

seanyred
08-01-2013, 08:02 PM
So is this just a rumour or what? No construction going on so far?....

There is construction to replace the concrete on Main Street and it should have already started. The rumor part is about the curbs going away.

mickeys_princess_mom
08-01-2013, 08:37 PM
There is construction to replace the concrete on Main Street and it should have already started. The rumor part is about the curbs going away.

Gotcha.

Altair
08-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Paved streets in one form or another have been around since the 1800's.

The ancient Roman Empire had paved roads. You can see them in Spaceship Earth. :wink:

ronandjulie
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Change is part of Disney World. I believe that if Walt were still alive today, Disney purists heads wouls spin at the rate at which things would change at Disney World. So they change the structure of main street once every 40 years or so. Get over it. That being said, if more people would walk instead of riding the scooters (being obese is NOT a handicap) and if people didn't need those gigantic strollers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Mrs Bus Driver
08-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Change is part of Disney World. I believe that if Walt were still alive today, Disney purists heads wouls spin at the rate at which things would change at Disney World. So they change the structure of main street once every 40 years or so. Get over it. That being said, if more people would walk instead of riding the scooters (being obese is NOT a handicap) and if people didn't need those gigantic strollers, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
You don't know me.
But I gained weight after I couldn't breath and would have coughing fits every time I went up the stairs to my 3rd floor apt. I have pulmonary fibrosis which the doctors didn't figure out until it was pretty well progressed. There is no treatment except lung transplant which really isn't a good solution. So I choose to do what I can while I can. I still walk my dogs 3/4 times a day, do all of my own house work, shopping and so on. Most people with my illness only live 5 years after being diagnosed that was 4 years ago for me and I'm still here. Since I can only walk short distance before my oxygen levels drop and must be on oxygen 24/7 I will be riding a scooter at WDW. I plan on enjoying myself and doing as much as I can on my vacation and if you don't like how I look on a scooter to bad. Just count of the fact that I will never be rude to you or look down on you after all if we ever meet I'll be on vacation.

JerseyDad
08-03-2013, 04:44 PM
.....I look at this proposed change from the viewpoint of a civil engineer's eye ...because I do stuff like this every day.

.....personally ...I see some potential problems with removing the full height (6" to 7" reveal) curb and replacing it with 'flush' curbs.

......although it provides for a zero barrier with regards to ADA compliance ....it also provides for zero protection to the pedestrians on the sidewalk from vehicles. Of course, most will say, "It's WDW ....what vehicles"? But ....there ARE parades ...there ARE vehicles that use the Main Street road during those parades ...and although people will argue that they are 'only' parade floats ....stranger things have occurred. If ADA compliance was the reason for the proposed change ...then the easiest, most reasonable "fix" would be to install ADA compliant sidewalk ramps at more frequent intervals (perhaps every 30' feet)....and there is no need to replace all the sidewalks. Also ...if there is a zero height curb ...then a detectable warning surface strip must be installed at the sidewalk transition to the pavement (those are those bright red or yellow truncated dome surface finishes that there for the visually impaired )

....secondly ...at the moment ...the sidewalks that exist have a cross-slope on them (sloped toward the street from the storefronts) ...of probably 1% to 2%. If you remove the 6" - 7" high curb ...then the sidewalk will then slope from the storefront to what was the bottom of the previous curb. the resulting x-slope could be increased to 3% to 5% (the max allowable x-slope in many municipalities) ...and walking longitudinally on a surface with a +3% x-slope is somewhat uncomfortable ...and 5% x-slopes present a "tipping" hazard to those in wheelchairs.

....thirdly ....curbs help control storm runoff from the street surface ...and keep it in the street. I have been on Main Street in WDW during some pretty intense downpours ...and the water builds up quickly at the curbs. If the curb no longer exists ....then water will 'creep" up the sidewalk during heavy rainfall events.

...it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out ...and I really hope it doesn't affect the visually reality of the Main Street design.

Hammer
08-04-2013, 01:30 PM
.....I look at this proposed change from the viewpoint of a civil engineer's eye ...because I do stuff like this every day.

.....personally ...I see some potential problems with removing the full height (6" to 7" reveal) curb and replacing it with 'flush' curbs.

......although it provides for a zero barrier with regards to ADA compliance ....it also provides for zero protection to the pedestrians on the sidewalk from vehicles. Of course, most will say, "It's WDW ....what vehicles"? But ....there ARE parades ...there ARE vehicles that use the Main Street road during those parades ...and although people will argue that they are 'only' parade floats ....stranger things have occurred. If ADA compliance was the reason for the proposed change ...then the easiest, most reasonable "fix" would be to install ADA compliant sidewalk ramps at more frequent intervals (perhaps every 30' feet)....and there is no need to replace all the sidewalks. Also ...if there is a zero height curb ...then a detectable warning surface strip must be installed at the sidewalk transition to the pavement (those are those bright red or yellow truncated dome surface finishes that there for the visually impaired )

....secondly ...at the moment ...the sidewalks that exist have a cross-slope on them (sloped toward the street from the storefronts) ...of probably 1% to 2%. If you remove the 6" - 7" high curb ...then the sidewalk will then slope from the storefront to what was the bottom of the previous curb. the resulting x-slope could be increased to 3% to 5% (the max allowable x-slope in many municipalities) ...and walking longitudinally on a surface with a +3% x-slope is somewhat uncomfortable ...and 5% x-slopes present a "tipping" hazard to those in wheelchairs.

....thirdly ....curbs help control storm runoff from the street surface ...and keep it in the street. I have been on Main Street in WDW during some pretty intense downpours ...and the water builds up quickly at the curbs. If the curb no longer exists ....then water will 'creep" up the sidewalk during heavy rainfall events.

...it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out ...and I really hope it doesn't affect the visually reality of the Main Street design.

JerseyDad, thank you for your post. It made me smile as my late father was a civil engineer in NJ (and Florida before that). He probably would have said many of the same things as you. I agree, I think adding additional ramps without totally removing all the curbs would be the best option. It would be a nice compromise.

Quadstriker
08-04-2013, 03:03 PM
Very nice insight Jersey, thanks.

PirateLover
08-04-2013, 04:54 PM
:thumbsup: Yes, definitely some great points there! I definitely thought about the parade vehicle aspect, but not the storm runoff.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. Whatever they are doing, I'm sure it was not done on a whim.

JerseyDad
08-04-2013, 08:51 PM
.....wow ...glad some of my input / insight is appreciated!! My wife .....usually just tells me to stop complaining!!

.....I guess all those college loans were worth it!! :rotfl:

Main Street Jim
08-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Even *with* the curbs, I have *personally* witnessed parade floats climbing the curb after missing a turn at the Confectionery/Emporium turn.

It had started *pouring* down rain one afternoon (big surprise...LOL) halfway through the parade. When they started getting to about Casey's (coming from Liberty Square/Frontierland), the streets started flooding. We had to clear guests out of the streets as they scrambled to get indoors, and especially out of that little area at the "tip" of Town Square. We got them (the guests) out, took down our ropes and stanchions, and here comes the parade floats *haulin' the mail* down the street. The first float - the Mickey snowglobe - was going too fast, couldn't make the turn, and slid up right on up the curb at that "tip". Good thing we cleared it out.

JerseyDad
08-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Even *with* the curbs, I have *personally* witnessed parade floats climbing the curb after missing a turn at the Confectionery/Emporium turn.

It had started *pouring* down rain one afternoon (big surprise...LOL) halfway through the parade. When they started getting to about Casey's (coming from Liberty Square/Frontierland), the streets started flooding. We had to clear guests out of the streets as they scrambled to get indoors, and especially out of that little area at the "tip" of Town Square. We got them (the guests) out, took down our ropes and stanchions, and here comes the parade floats *haulin' the mail* down the street. The first float - the Mickey snowglobe - was going too fast, couldn't make the turn, and slid up right on up the curb at that "tip". Good thing we cleared it out.

....it sounds like there was a pedestrian ramp there that allowed the float to slide up the 'curb"?

....I can definitely see that happening even with full height curbs. Heck ...cars ...trucks ...buses jump curbs all the time ...even at slow speeds. So, many people will ask the question: "Why have the curbs at all"? (outside of WDW ...in the 'real' world ...for example.).

....well ....liability plays a large part of it. A curb gives the pedestrian ...or property owner ..."a chance" of being protected. That's it ....that's all you need to do. A curb has "a chance" of deflecting an out of control vehicle just enough to slow it / deflect it ...and possibly protect the public,or private property from damage. You cannot design for all possible scanrios to protect life & property ...all you can do is "try" ....and that's what you need to do in order to avoid losing a lawsuit that you may get dragged into because of an accident.

....just some added info that you may find interesting: When I have designed site's for shopping centers / retail / residential developments ...sometimes we need to install a "guard-rail" (those steel beam barriers you see on the roads, etc). Well ....I NEVER label them as "guard-rails" ...because if a car crashes through one ...and injures (or kills) someone ...or damages property on the other side ...I'll be sitting in court ...and a lawyer will say to me, "You called it a guard-rail" .....I guess you didn't design it properly ...because it didn't guard anything ...and my client is injured / dead / had house destroyed"...etc.

....therefore I always label them as "GUIDE-RAILS" ....with the intent to deflect a vehicle ...and giving no promise of GUARDING anything. Because of that ONE WORD change ....I'd have a better chance of not losing my livelihood.

.....sorry if that was a bit off topic ...but it popped into my head as I read the post.

Renfairwedding
08-07-2013, 12:40 AM
With all this speculation could it just be a basic project to fix a leaky roof? The park is on the second level. Like a parking deck it may be time to rehab some of the concrete.

JerseyDad
08-07-2013, 09:18 AM
With all this speculation could it just be a basic project to fix a leaky roof? The park is on the second level. Like a parking deck it may be time to rehab some of the concrete.

....anything is possible? However, replacing ALL the sidewalks and curbs would seem to lead in another direction. If that was the case, then all the street pavement would need to be replaced too ...I would guess.

seanyred
08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
So I saw some photos on another site and so far it looks like just the sidewalk closest to the Emporium is being replaced. Of course this could be just a starting point. And it could expand. However I doubt the curbs would go away especially when you think about drainage and other practicle factors that have been brought up.

Opus X
08-08-2013, 12:16 AM
From a line out of shawshank redemption.....who looks at another mans shoes?
I guess i never really looked at the curb...i also dont think id miss it if they were replaced with ramps...;)

JerseyDad
08-08-2013, 01:43 PM
From a line out of shawshank redemption.....who looks at another mans shoes?
I guess i never really looked at the curb...i also dont think id miss it if they were replaced with ramps...;)

......but ...if you were looking up at fireworks while walking .....and got to the curb ...it would 'introduce' itself to you in quite an unfriendly manner.

Opus X
08-08-2013, 06:30 PM
......but ...if you were looking up at fireworks while walking .....and got to the curb ...it would 'introduce' itself to you in quite an unfriendly manner.
Ive made it through 43 years without tripping over a curb....ill be ok.

DizneyFreak2002
08-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Ive made it through 43 years without tripping over a curb....ill be ok.
it's funny you say that actually... Someone familiar with this project said part of the reason they have decided to replace the concrete was to actually remove the curbs because the fear is/was with this MyMagic stuff, many guests will now be forced to be looking down at their smartphone instead of watching where they are going and they will trip over the curb... Sadly, smartphones don't always have smart owners/users...

With that said, this person also said the the ramp at the corner where Emporium is has been extended, so yes, more ramp... HOWEVER they did not remove the entire curb from that area... So let's see how this is now handled for the rest of the project... Doesn't seem as if they are removing all the curbs...

BTW, welcome to Intercot!!!

VWL Mom
08-30-2013, 08:48 AM
We got back yesterday and there is no work being done on Main Street. The only thing that has been done is the corner section near the emporium. They did extend the ramping on the corner a bit and have it roped off with signs that say "viewing area". My guess is that this is the new HA seating for parades.