PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards

terri110874
07-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Can they be used for tipping at restaurants? Is there anywhere it the WDW it can not be used ? Thinking it would be a good to set aside money for the trips by getting one for tips , one for my son, one for food , etc.

I went through older posts but I could not find the answer to it.

KylesMom
07-22-2013, 01:35 PM
It has been our experience that most everywhere on property will take Disney gift cards. There may be an independent cart or restaurant that does not take them (nor your room key if you have validated for charging) but they are far and few in between. Not sure about restaurants such as Rainforest Cafe' and TRex, but you should not have a problem utilizing the gift card for Disney-operated eateries toward tips. :mickey:

brownie
07-22-2013, 08:29 PM
It may not be the best way to set aside money for your trip. For that, I'd recommend putting it in a savings account or something else you can easily access that earns interest.

I think they're good for spending money for the kids but for most of your purchases, I think you're better off charging it to your room if you're staying onsite or using a credit card.

MargaretMessler
07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
It may not be the best way to set aside money for your trip. For that, I'd recommend putting it in a savings account or something else you can easily access that earns interest.

I think they're good for spending money for the kids but for most of your purchases, I think you're better off charging it to your room if you're staying onsite or using a credit card.

Aside from the lack of interest, I thought they worked quite nicely for my most recent trip. Many of them were in fact gifts, but I brought the majority of my spending "money" in that form, along with some cash.

I usually left a tip in cash though, that's my usual m.o. even at home when using debit/credit.

VWL Mom
07-27-2013, 07:08 AM
I pick gift cards up at the grocery store when they run specials and the savings far outweighs any interest I may earn. The most recent was buy $100 in gift cards get $20 free groceries. I think Target still gives 5% off if you use their credit/debit card.

My boys prefer them to carrying cash around the park.