PDA

View Full Version : Driving on I-95

ValenciaCalling
07-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Well, it looks like my mock trip is actually going to happen! My fiance and I are planning to drive straight through from Philadelphia to Orlando in one night. Neither of us have taken this kind of a road trip before so we're trying to do as much research as we can before we leave!

I used to go to school in Virginia, so I know the D.C. and Beltway area are horrendous. Any thing else on I-95 we should be aware of?

azcavalier
07-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Nope. It's just a busy, busy interstate.

Dulcee
07-22-2013, 11:29 AM
Its busy, has a lot of interstate towns with fast food/hotels etc.

Driving straight through is miserable though, especially with only two drivers. You might consider stopping half way. When we did the drive from NJ we'd do 15-16 hours on day 1 and then arrive in WDW early the next day after a full nights sleep.

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Drives on I-95... Love them! until I hot DC and Virginia, then it is a royal pain... The Beltway, depending on time of day, tends to have traffic (morning and evening rush hours are the worst)... I usually leave on a Saturday so I never had an issue with traffic... However, Virginia always seems to have traffic... I know they have done a lot of construction, so maybe that was it? I dunno.... But there is always one stretch where traffic is bad... Once it breaks up, SMOOTH SAILING!!!!!

What are some things you are looking for on your drive? I come down from Jersey, and I usually stop in Manning, South Carolina over night, at the Ramada Express... And I pack my lunch so I don't have to stop at a diner or restaurant to eat... Normally I bring a large sub with me, eat half for lunch and the other half when I stop at the hotel for the night... And I always bring a cooler full of ice and bottles of water, that way I keep myself refreshed as I drive... I find cold water keeps me focused and awake... Jolts the system I guess :)

This is how I break up my driving: First stop Maryland House in Maryland... Second stop: for gas in Virginia and to eat lunch... Third stop: North Carolina Welcome Center just over the state lines... Fourth Stop: South of the Border to fill up on gas and walk around to stretch my legs... Then I stop over night in Manning, SC... Next morning I eat the free breakfast at the hotel and hit the road... depending how the gas in the car is, I'll either fill it before I leave SC, or push it through Georgia and fill up in Florida... Then it is clear sailing into Orlando...

There is a great website called I-95 Exit Guide... I always check up on it cause it gives the current highway construction in each state, plus lists gas stations, hotels, restaurants, and which exit each is located off of.

barnaby
07-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Well, it looks like my mock trip is actually going to happen! My fiance and I are planning to drive straight through from Philadelphia to Orlando in one night. Neither of us have taken this kind of a road trip before so we're trying to do as much research as we can before we leave!

I used to go to school in Virginia, so I know the D.C. and Beltway area are horrendous. Any thing else on I-95 we should be aware of?

We drive down from the Philly area as well. We've done it in 2 days with a stop in Savannah, GA. We've done it one day, left around 2AM on Saturday morning and arrived in Orlando around 8PM. We've also left at 4PM on a Friday afternoon and drove straight through, and arrived Saturday morning around 10AM.
The best way for us is leaving early in the AM and getting there that evening. We travel on weekends so rush hour work traffic isn't an issue.
We stop for breakfast and lunch on 95. Usually a fast food place for breakfast, then a Cracker Barrel for lunch. We bring snacks and water, but usually grab a frozen treat when we stop to stretch or stop for gas. We try to hold off for a late dinner in the WDW area. We check into wherever we are staying then go off for a nice meal to unwind after the long trip.
I am a fan of driving straight through. We do it with 2 drivers as well, and I do the bulk of the driving. But it is not for everyone. I am lucky because my wife and kids travel well with minimum stops.

PETE FROM NYC
07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
DW and I are both handicapped. After a dozen of flying trips, we can no longer handle walking thru an airport, so we drove the last 3 trips. I am the only driver, so we pace ourselves and do the trip in 2 1/2 days.
Each trip, we did 95 all the way with no major delays.
We pack a decent sized cooler w/ drinks and sandwiches, and only stop for potty breaks, gas, and to stretch. We stay at Best Westerns all the way.
Actually, we usually arrive in WDW area after 2 days, and stay in Knights Inn on 192 for around $40/ night.
Then we finally enter the World.

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2013, 06:44 PM
We stay at Best Westerns all the way.

There is a very nice Best Western in Manning, SC across from Ramada Express... Stayed there once when Ramada was closed for renovations... Have you stayed in that one?

BuddyL4
07-22-2013, 07:41 PM
On our last trip we left Niagara Falls at 4am, brought lunch with us, and made it as far as Savana GA by 8:30pm. Got up next morning and went about 5-6 hours I think, and made it into Orlando. We stayed the night at a hotel then next morning headed into Disney World. We are geting ready to do it again but we are leaving at 2am this time to see if I can get ahead of some of the morning comute through PA. I-95 wasn't to bad for us.

#1donaldfan
07-23-2013, 11:59 AM
95 is fast n furious and we drive it every year. We hit 95 off of 26 in SC. From that point down there are no concerns at all, just be prepared to move !! We always drive through at one time.....I want all my days n nights at Disney !! :mickey:

Goofy Fan
07-24-2013, 01:33 PM
With the soaring prices of airline tickets, this November will be our first time driving in almost 10 years. We'll be coming through York, PA on I-83 and will pick up I-95 around Baltimore/Washington. We've done the drive several times before and this year, we'll have 3 drivers, so we're going to try and do it straight through. We'll be leaving Thanksgiving night to arrive late afternoon the next day. Hopefully the traffic around the beltway won't be too bad with the holiday. Then again, we'll probably be going through there around midnight, so it shouldn't be an issue. Overall, it's a really nice drive. I always love road trips!

I'm going to definitely check out that website, though! It looks like it'll be really helpful!

PETE FROM NYC
07-24-2013, 04:39 PM
There is a very nice Best Western in Manning, SC across from Ramada Express... Stayed there once when Ramada was closed for renovations... Have you stayed in that one?

We have stayed at a bunch of BWs. Don't recall if we did that one or not. Usually, when I start getting tired, we just look for BW signs along the route.

Renfairwedding
07-24-2013, 09:24 PM
We leave Bushkill PA about 7pm and do the drive strait though. the overnight run seems to mis all the traffic hotspots. We stay a least one night depending on our timing outside the parks.

(also the Knights inn)

baldburke
07-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Its busy, has a lot of interstate towns with fast food/hotels etc.

Driving straight through is miserable though, especially with only two drivers. You might consider stopping half way. When we did the drive from NJ we'd do 15-16 hours on day 1 and then arrive in WDW early the next day after a full nights sleep.

Agreed! Coming from nearby Delaware we usually start the night before and drive about as far as the VA/NC line. Then the worst is behind you. You can wake up at 8:00 and be to WDW by 5:00 without any hassle. Good luck!

goofyfan4466
07-25-2013, 11:34 PM
We live just north of you in levittown,pa. We usually leave around midnight and rarely hit any traffic except for the occasional accident or road construction. You should check out the i95 exit guide .com before going , it will tell you about any traffic issues. We layover in savannah @ a marriott. There is a cracker barrel in the same parking lot as the hotel. And then 5 hours the next morning to the world. I hope this helps.

JerseyDad
07-26-2013, 02:27 PM
....I'm kinda' thinking that a WDW road trip that starts from south-east PA should take about 1.5 to 2 hours less than my drive from central NJ.

...we leave NJ by 6 am (very latest) on a Friday ...and are in Brunswick, Ga. by 7 pm (absolute latest) ...for our stop-over in a Hampton Inn there. However this year we may push on through to WDW, and make the 16 - 16.5 hour drive in one fell swoop. (otherwise it's just a 3 hour drive from Brunswick the next morning)

....I find that the key to the trip is to get through the Wash DC area before, or, after rush hour (morning) ...and NEVER go near there (southbound) between 2pm and 6pm. The 495 Beltway that takes you eastward (past Andrews AFB) is the better side of the loop ......based on my my 10 trips worth of experience.

barnaby
07-26-2013, 02:44 PM
...we leave NJ by 6 am (very latest) on a Friday ...and are in Brunswick, Ga. by 7 pm (absolute latest) ...for our stop-over in a Hampton Inn there. However this year we may push on through to WDW, and make the 16 - 16.5 hour drive in one fell swoop. (otherwise it's just a 3 hour drive from Brunswick the next morning)

Try pushin' on through.
I am about 40 miles less of a trip then you here in SJ. I did the stop over in Savannah. The next trip we did the straight through, and that is how we like to do it the trip now.
You add the cost of a nights stay either way, but at least if you push through, you can start your WDW portion first thing in the morning, as opposed to being 3 hours out.
I'd leave a little earlier then 6AM. We leave around 3-4AM and get into the WDW area around 7-8PM. We stay off-site. Saves us about 60/nite on the hotel. Get up the next morning early, check-in, get our KTTW and are in the parks by opening or just after.

BTW, I'll race you down there. :) We are headed down on August 24th, checking in the next day.

JerseyDad
07-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Try pushin' on through.
I am about 40 miles less of a trip then you here in SJ. I did the stop over in Savannah. The next trip we did the straight through, and that is how we like to do it the trip now.
You add the cost of a nights stay either way, but at least if you push through, you can start your WDW portion first thing in the morning, as opposed to being 3 hours out.
I'd leave a little earlier then 6AM. We leave around 3-4AM and get into the WDW area around 7-8PM. We stay off-site. Saves us about 60/nite on the hotel. Get up the next morning early, check-in, get our KTTW and are in the parks by opening or just after.

BTW, I'll race you down there. :) We are headed down on August 24th, checking in the next day.

....vroom ...vrooom ....racing to WDW!!!

:car:

:car:

....I'm on the road this Aug 23rd ....before it's bright ...but definitely early ...heading to POP

MO-5
08-02-2013, 12:22 PM
I just did the I-95 drive with my kids (13 & 8). We drive straight through from Ellicott City MD, just north of DC. DC traffic is the worst part of the trip. Once you're south of Fredericksburg, VA you should be good to go. We got there in 14 hrs with 3 stops for gas (and food & bathroom). Only other thing I don't like about the drive is when the highway goes down to 2 lanes in Southern VA and through the Carolina's. Makes it frustrating when 2 cars are going the same speed in each lane.

Have fun!

JerseyDad
08-02-2013, 03:00 PM
I just did the I-95 drive with my kids (13 & 8). We drive straight through from Ellicott City MD, just north of DC. DC traffic is the worst part of the trip. Once you're south of Fredericksburg, VA you should be good to go. We got there in 14 hrs with 3 stops for gas (and food & bathroom). Only other thing I don't like about the drive is when the highway goes down to 2 lanes in Southern VA and through the Carolina's. Makes it frustrating when 2 cars are going the same speed in each lane.

Have fun!

....definitely very frustrating :drive: ....but that's what the horn was made for!! ;)

....and ...can't we just push No. Carolina out to sea ...and slide the other states up one? :D

BrerGnat
08-02-2013, 07:20 PM
There is some pretty major construction work going on on 95 South from about Woodbridge to Fredericksburg, VA. That part of the highway is ALWAYS a logjam. Try to not travel on that stretch before 8pm on a weekday, or really anytime on a weekend.

Melanie
08-02-2013, 09:17 PM
....and ...can't we just push No. Carolina out to sea ...and slide the other states up one? :D

Wow. Seriously? I'll keep my thoughts on Jersey to myself. ;)

Nat is right - I-95 south of DC through to Fredericksburg is a nightmare. There isn't a traffic report that goes by in this area that doesn't mention that area. We avoid it at all costs. Good luck!

JerseyDad
08-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Nat is right - I-95 south of DC through to Fredericksburg is a nightmare. There isn't a traffic report that goes by in this area that doesn't mention that area. We avoid it at all costs. Good luck!

....nothing personal about N.C. ....it just needs to be a bit more 'scenic' along I-95. All I have to look forward to is the J.R. Cigars Outlet in Selma ....and about 167,000 "Pedro Says....." signs for that South of The Border place.

barnaby
08-03-2013, 12:36 AM
There is some pretty major construction work going on on 95 South from about Woodbridge to Fredericksburg, VA. That part of the highway is ALWAYS a logjam. Try to not travel on that stretch before 8pm on a weekday, or really anytime on a weekend.

Thanks for the construction update.
I will be going through there probably around 6AM on a Saturday morning, think it will be a problem then?

Mrs Bus Driver
08-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Wow so many people on the I-95.:blush: This seems like a good place for me to ask about easy pass. This year we will be taking our first trip from our new home in Groton Ct. As I am new to the area have just discovered I need an easy pass. Will it work for FL or do I need a different pass there? Or should I just pay the tolls? Thanks:mickey:

JerseyDad
08-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Wow so many people on the I-95.:blush: This seems like a good place for me to ask about easy pass. This year we will be taking our first trip from our new home in Groton Ct. As I am new to the area have just discovered I need an easy pass. Will it work for FL or do I need a different pass there? Or should I just pay the tolls? Thanks:mickey:

...if you are driving to WDW from Groton, Ct., the only tolls you'll pay will be on I-95 at the GW Bridge (when you go home), NJ Tpke, the Delaware Memorial Bridge, Delaware Tpke., JFK Memorial Highway (Md.), and the Harbor Tunnel in Baltimore.

...once you are south of that point ...there are no tolls all the way to WDW (I-95 to Rte 4)

...of course ...in the future there are tolls proposed for I-95 in N.C. ....but that's a future problem.

....your EasyPass will work for the aforementioned tolls.

barnaby
08-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Copied this from a fishing website I go on:
Left nj at 3am this morning (Sat, 8/3) for fayetteville, nc. As soon as we hit the maryland border it was bumper to bumper traffic all the way to the fayetteville exit. Worse ive ever seen.

I may plan an alternate route, like using 301down to Richmond.

PopPhan
08-05-2013, 01:28 PM
With the soaring prices of airline tickets, this November will be our first time driving in almost 10 years. We'll be coming through York, PA on I-83 and will pick up I-95 around Baltimore/Washington. We've done the drive several times before and this year, we'll have 3 drivers, so we're going to try and do it straight through. We'll be leaving Thanksgiving night to arrive late afternoon the next day. Hopefully the traffic around the beltway won't be too bad with the holiday. Then again, we'll probably be going through there around midnight, so it shouldn't be an issue. Overall, it's a really nice drive. I always love road trips!

I'm going to definitely check out that website, though! It looks like it'll be really helpful!

Pick me up on your way, please!!!! :D Leader Heights exit of I83 - just south of York!!

I have done the 'white knuckle cruise' many times and the only two spots that even slow me down are the areas around DC and sometimes around Jacksonville where I10 comes across. Admittedly, it has been quite a while since I drove. Flying has gotten much cheaper and 2 hours air-time vs. 14 - 16 hours driving makes it even more economical.

My normal stop was around Santee, NC. I would just look for someplace cheap and get about 4 hours sleep before finishing the trip.

BrerGnat
08-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the construction update.
I will be going through there probably around 6AM on a Saturday morning, think it will be a problem then?

Yeah, probably. ;)

Honestly, it's always bad. But, as far as times/days go, 6am on a Saturday shouldn't be too much of a nightmare. I think they try to do the most heavy construction between the hours of 10pm and 5am.

JerseyDad
08-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Copied this from a fishing website I go on:
Left nj at 3am this morning (Sat, 8/3) for fayetteville, nc. As soon as we hit the maryland border it was bumper to bumper traffic all the way to the fayetteville exit. Worse ive ever seen.

I may plan an alternate route, like using 301down to Richmond.

...is this the 'normal crazy traffic'...or construction? The I-95 Guide has no major construction listed in Md, Va, NC ????

barnaby
08-06-2013, 09:18 PM
...is this the 'normal crazy traffic'...or construction? The I-95 Guide has no major construction listed in Md, Va, NC ????

There is construction going on. Not sure what was going on at that time he was travelling.
The I-95 Guide is not up to date.
Check out each State's DOT site for construction updates.
The work in Virginia has its own website - http://www.vamegaprojects.com/
Lots of work going on in VA, but the other states look OK.

JerseyDad
08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
There is construction going on. Not sure what was going on at that time he was travelling.
The I-95 Guide is not up to date.
Check out each State's DOT site for construction updates.
The work in Virginia has its own website - http://www.vamegaprojects.com/
Lots of work going on in VA, but the other states look OK.

.....I'd really hate to take Rte301 south as an alternate. It'll put a huge crimp in my driving schedule .....and ...on an earlier road trip to WDW ...with several other cars/ families ...one person took Rte 301 ...and later described it as "the road from he!!"

Melanie
08-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I used to take 301 a lot when we lived in southern Maryland. It's 4 lane, but there are a lot of stop lights and little towns.

JerseyDad
08-08-2013, 01:37 PM
I used to take 301 a lot when we lived in southern Maryland. It's 4 lane, but there are a lot of stop lights and little towns.

....the stop lights ...and 'little town' speed reductions are the killer. It's be like driving on Rte 1 thru central NJ. I'd not be in a happy mood. :angry:

barnaby
08-08-2013, 09:35 PM
.....I'd really hate to take Rte301 south as an alternate. It'll put a huge crimp in my driving schedule .....and ...on an earlier road trip to WDW ...with several other cars/ families ...one person took Rte 301 ...and later described it as "the road from he!!"

I have been doing some google mapping and it looks like you can catch 301 from 87, after jumping on 87 in Baltimore. Less time on 301.

Another option is taking the CBBT. Problem is it adds about 1hr15min to the trip.

I've taken 301 from northern DE down to Annapolis for Navy games. That's the way it is up there too.
Is it like that all the way down, if I took to down near Richmond?

barnaby
08-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Update for the weekend we leave.

WEEK OF AUGUST 18 - 24, 2013
I-95 SOUTH AT FAIRFAX COUNTY PARKWAY all lanes closed Friday and Saturday from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. for steel erection work. :(

1DisneyNut
08-17-2013, 08:08 AM
We just went to DC/Williamsburg/Virginia Beach for a vacation. Coming out of DC going South into VA was an absolute mess and was slow/backed up for miles. There is heavy road construction in that area in both directions. The North bound side was a dead stand still parking lot for probably 10 miles so you will want to keep that in mind for your return trip home.

In all the trips I have ever been on, Virginia was the absolute worst for people hanging out and cruising in the left lane that I have ever experienced. It is bad almost everywhere but it was the worst there. I don't know what it is with that state but it was mostly drivers with Virginia tags. They really need to have a public campaign on proper Interstate driving.

BrerGnat
08-17-2013, 09:19 PM
VA drivers are THE WORST. Seriously. I have lived here two years now and this still is my biggest peeve about where we live.

PirateLover
08-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Just wanted to add watch your speed in VA (whenever you aren't stuck in traffic). State Troopers are everywhere. Talking about the left lane huggers, I guess they'd rather you do that than try to pass anyone! DH was in the left and wanted to get back over and had to pass a truck next to him. He sped up 5mph above the speed limit to pass, and wouldn't ya know...:cop:
We had people asleep in the back and a trunk full of luggage and I think that made the Trooper even less inclined to cut us a break. Almost everyone I know has gotten pulled over driving through VA. Out-of-towners are a huge source of income because most people don't show up to fight the ticket. And remember fines are typically doubled or worse in construction zones, so getting a ticket can really cut into your savings.

Melanie
08-18-2013, 08:38 AM
So glad I haven't gotten pulled over yet, since I still have my Florida tags. ;)

1DisneyNut
08-18-2013, 11:27 AM
We noticed how overbearing the police presence is in VA. There are signs everywhere on the interstate saying speed checked by this that and the other. State troopers were hiding everywhere. The average speed on the interstate was still 80mph when we weren't in a traffic jam or caught behind some moron hanging out in the left lane though. I managed not to get a ticket....luck I guess.

I have a solution for those states that use speed traps on the interstate for income.....I just don't come back to their state. I will add VA to the list right below Ohio of states I will never visit again.

goofyfan4466
08-20-2013, 05:56 AM
We live about 30 miles ne of philly. We have always taken i-95, is 301 a better option to head south ? We have run into massive backups in va. and we are looking for another route to the world. thanks in advance

JerseyDad
08-24-2013, 05:25 PM
......here's an I-95 travel update:

......I did "the drive" yesterday. Left New Jersey at 6am on the nose ( from my house) ...stopped at a Wawa for coffee & a roll ...and hit the NJ Tpke at 6:15am.

....no delays whatsoever in Virginia (south of Alexandria) ....thru the HOV lane construction zone .....travelling at about 9:30 am. We exited Va. at noon ....and only had a speed reduction to about 45 mph at Richmond bridge construction area.

.....traveled through NC and SC ....uneventful ....and hit Ga. by 6pm.

......breezed through Georgia ....opting to not stop in Brunswick as usual.

.....got to St. Augustine, Fla at 8:15pm ......having done 940 miles in a bit over 14 hours ....and checked into a Fairfield Inn for the night.

.....2 hr drive this morning .....got to POP at 10:15am . There is some construction on I-4 between Daytona and Lake Helen ....but no delays.

barnaby
08-31-2013, 02:21 PM
We left last Saturday at 2:30AM, did catch some bumper to bumper in DC and in Va around 5:30AM where construction was going on, but nothing too bad.

JerseyDad
09-03-2013, 01:05 AM
We left last Saturday at 2:30AM, did catch some bumper to bumper in DC and in Va around 5:30AM where construction was going on, but nothing too bad.

....just walked in the door of my house in NJ at 12:02am.

....we left POP at 8:00am on the nose ....gassed up just off of I-4 as we headed east to I-95 and were off and running.

....no traffic or construction to speak of ...though there was "moving traffic" through Md and Del (lotsa' cars going 70mph) ....which ..of course is not 75 or 80 mph :mad:

....so ....technically ...it took 16 hrs and 02 minutes to get home. And that included several potty stops .... 'filling up' with gas twice (when the car hit 1/4 full) along I-95, and getting food at a Subway in SC (that was a 20 minute stop) ....and at a Wawa near Fredericksburg (another 20 minutes).....

.....not bad at all ...and glad that Labor Day got them to stop working on the HOV lanes in Va just so I could drive by with no delays :D:D