PDA

View Full Version : OKW wheelchair question

dlpmikki
07-21-2013, 10:20 AM
I've currently booked near hospitality house for our trip next month. Sadly dh is getting less mobile so we are bringing his wheelchair with us. Now the buildings that have elevators are not in the near hospitality house group. I'm trying to work out what to do in the future - book not near hospitality house and request the elevator buildings? I'm guessing they are not guaranteed even then. This is new territory for me so I would welcome advice and suggestions from the OKW experts out there.

Thanks! :mickey:

VWL Mom
07-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I think you should call MS and explain the situation. In the past I have read they will make a note that the request is for medical reasons and these are honored. Would a first floor room in a HH building work? If not, the elevators are in 62, 63, 64 with 62 being closest to HH. They should be able to let you know which buildings are wheelchair accessible. I'm sure they'll work with you.

dlpmikki
07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
I did email but will follow up with a call. I explained I understood the buildings were not in the near HH group but that our situation had changed since we made the reservation. Their response was not terribly helpful:
There are 3 buildings (62, 63, and 64) at DISNEY'S OLD KEY WEST Resort that have an elevator. Unfortunately, they are not part of the Near
Hospitality House room category.

I'm actually a little surprised that they don't make those buildings available for anyone with a medical issue, regardless of where they have booked. I'm imagining someone who broke a foot/leg shortly before their visit or some such. Maybe I will get more information when I ring. We will probably muddle through on this visit but in the future I may not feel safe reserving here unless I can be sure we can get a room that Andrew can use.

Mickey'sGirl
07-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Mikki, we had a 1BR (6424) which was in an elevator building and not far from the Hospitality House. ... Just across the bridge. You might be comfortable in that building. We were up on the 2nd floor overlooking the golf course. One of my favourite WDW rooms ever!

dlpmikki
07-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I would be very happy to get into 62 or 63 or 64!

Pirate Granny
07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
You can also request first floor in bldg 12, 12, 13 or 14th, which I feel are the closest to HH (across the parking lot). You could release the HH category and request 62, 63 or 64 due to medical reasons, if those dates are available for non HH.

Hammer
07-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Mikki, I wish you luck. This is one of the big reasons I'm not a fan of OKW. Since they will not guarantee an elevator building for wheelchair accessability and I don't like first floor rooms when it is exterior hallways, we have not booked OKW since Mom started coming with us on our trips.

Please post a review on how it goes. I know you'll be honest, fair and not sugar coat it :) .

CanadianWDWFan
07-21-2013, 06:26 PM
I would be very happy to get into 62 or 63 or 64!
Mikki, though I would include some pictures of our room 6424. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10566431@N04/sets/72157634419002534/)

VWL Mom
07-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Ask MS if it can be confirmed through disability services, this extra step evidently carries a lot more weight than a simple request.

TheDuckRocks
07-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Mikki, you need to prioritize you requests for the best success. Mine run something like this;
1) For medical reasons a 1st floor room (I need to be able to drive into the room with a scooter for electrical outlet for battery charge)
2) Preferred area of OKW
3) Building number
If they for some reason do not meet my number one requirement at check-in after giving the reason to the CM they have always been able to switch our room. It usually is a wait for this to happen but they do get the problem solved.
I have always had 1st floor rooms at OKW and have never not felt completely safe. It's not a Days Inn out on I-95. We never stay in a hotel that you do not go through a lobby to gain access to the room.

Hammer
07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
I have always had 1st floor rooms at OKW and have never not felt completely safe. It's not a Days Inn out on I-95. We never stay in a hotel that you do not go through a lobby to gain access to the room.

The reason I don't like 1st floor exterior hallway rooms has nothing to do with safety. It is the critters that can crawl into your room that I dislike :bug:!

Mickey'sGirl
07-22-2013, 12:32 PM
The reason I don't like 1st floor exterior hallway rooms has nothing to do with safety. It is the critters that can crawl into your room that I dislike :bug:!
We had a first floor once, and I was SURE a snake was going to make an appearance. I refused to use the balcony for drying our swimsuits on!! :cowboy: Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?

dlpmikki
07-22-2013, 04:04 PM
I don't mind first floor rooms - not had many critter problems at OKW (unlike other off site resorts!) I haven't rung them yet but I did say first floor would be best option if couldn't get into the elevator buildings. At least with a wheelchair I can carry it upstairs if need be unlike an ECV. Given time Andrew could still manage stairs at the moment but may not be able to in the future.