PDA

View Full Version : Do You Make Yourself Crazy Planning Your WDW trip?

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2013, 08:44 AM
I am an obsessive over planner who just can't seem to keep myself from overplanning my vacation. We usually only go to WDW every three years so I really want my choices to be the best. I will start thinking about the next trip 2 1/2 years out. After changing travel plans and dates we finally decided on a date and resort (Beach Club) and are booked for Oct. 29-Nov. 4, 2014. I am happy with the dates but now I am going to every site I can reading about the BC and although most reviews are good, I am seeing a lot of complaints about wear and tear on the resort and am questioning my decision. I'm sure we'll be delighted with the resort and am sure its just an irrational doubt. I also have already decided what parks we should go to each day, where we should eat (and keep second my guessing on restaurants) This is a bit crazy as my trips 15 months out.

In a way its fun we love planning and talking about our trip its part of the whole vacation experience, I just don't want to go to the extreme stressing myself out .

I know there are a lot of planners on here, but I feel like I may take it to the extreme. Does anyone else feel like that.:crazy:

Dream'nDisney
07-21-2013, 09:59 AM
I for one am an obsessive planner! We are going in June of 2014, and I have been planning for quite some time. I thought we had all of our days planned, and then just found out our kids' school gets out a week later than usual next year, so back to the drawing board on planning. I actually thrive on making plans, changing them, researching for new and fun ideas, etc. Happy planning!!:mickey:

Dream'nDisney
07-21-2013, 10:00 AM
By the way, you are going to hear negative things about every place you book. BC is very nice. If that is where you want to stay, then make the most of it and enjoy. You will love the resort! :thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm sure its going to be great, we really like the location I was just second guessing myself about the YC instead.

Marytheta
07-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm the same way. Our next trip is this October and I've been agonizing over all of our ressies! Still on the fence about my decision to add Tony's to the mix this year. Staying at BLT and have an 18 mo DS so I tried to pick a few places closer to the hotel. Like you, i haven't seen great reviews of it lately so I am really second guessing myself. Hope it all works out!!!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Haha that's funny, on our 2008 I agonized over adding Tony's because of bad reviews. As it turned out, my mom and I hated it but my son loved it. To each their own, I guess. Not sure it was the food or the pretty young waitress he was impressed with:mickey:

Marytheta
07-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Haha that's funny, on our 2008 I agonized over adding Tony's because of bad reviews. As it turned out, my mom and I hated it but my son loved it. To each their own, I guess. Not sure it was the food or the pretty young waitress he was impressed with:mickey:

Have you had the plaza? Wondering if it is any better. Thinking of trying to swap it out. :unsure:

Anyone know if they can seat a large group(7) together at Plaza?

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-21-2013, 02:22 PM
No but my family has, they say its pretty good. More sandwiches and burgers and salads but been told its pretty good. Your family may actually like Tony's a lot of people do, it just wasn't for us.

GAN
07-21-2013, 03:20 PM
I don't agonize over planning anymore -I found it was too frustrating when things weren't "on schedule". Now, we pick our dates and make 3/4 reservations and the rest is by chance. Regarding restaurant ressies, I did find using the Disney Experience app to be a big help - we got a couple unexpected reservations when we thought we would be no chance of getting in.

As far as Tony's goes, I've heard soo many bad reviews I wouldn't risk it ...besides, I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Plaza. I'm pretty sure they could handle a party of 7, but you should contact them to confirm.

JerseyDad
07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
....I never make myself "crazy" planning our WDW trips

....I let my wife do it. :D

thejens
07-22-2013, 12:19 AM
I enjoy the planning. I do plan far in advance, use touring plans, select which park and which restaurants for each day, know when we will do wishes etc. But once there I have learned to be a bit flexible. If my kids look tired after lunch and want to go to the pool, we go. I've learned to prioritize the attractions that are really important to me and then even plan to be flexible. Ha, I even have to plan to let go of my plan. I am never disappointed by my resort because they are all pretty awesome. I guess the worst day at WDW is still pretty good.

I wonder if you need to say, when you are done with all your planning: I've done the best I can, and now whatever happens will be fine. It sounds like you are so worried that everything won't be perfect that it will be hard to enjoy yourself. Hope you can relax and enjoy and just let things be as they are once you are there. :mickey:

Posterchild
07-22-2013, 02:19 AM
I drive myself crazy a bit planning, and have had the same conundrum as you in BC vs YC. We do not like "stuffiness" like GF, so we chose BC.

You will love the location. I cannot see myself leaving Boardwalk Area.

I just had a wrench thrown into my plans and just had to move to BWI last minute, but its OK as that is a nice resort too, it saved me a little cash, and now we can fit my stepson in the room.

Now i have other family members "crashing" our trip, and messing up my existing ADR's. I am tempted to just tell them "SEE YA!" around dinnertime, and meet up later. I will on a few of them.

/Cheers, JP

gottaluvtink
07-22-2013, 09:50 AM
We are big planners and now to add more madness to the planning comes the whole Fast Pass + and wristband thingy. Our next trip is February 2014. Just when I was super comfortable planning and getting my trips just the way I like them, this comes along. I need a tutorial on how this is all going to work out. :confused:

DonLefNY
07-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Pretty much the only planing I do is picking the resort ,dates & maybe one ADR. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-22-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't agonize over planning anymore -I found it was too frustrating when things weren't "on schedule". Now, we pick our dates and make 3/4 reservations and the rest is by chance. Regarding restaurant ressies, I did find using the Disney Experience app to be a big help - we got a couple unexpected reservations when we thought we would be no chance of getting in.

As far as Tony's goes, I've heard soo many bad reviews I wouldn't risk it ...besides, I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Plaza. I'm pretty sure they could handle a party of 7, but you should contact them to confirm.

There's a dining app? Haven't seen that

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-22-2013, 01:42 PM

As far as Tony's goes, I've heard soo many bad reviews I wouldn't risk it ...besides, I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Plaza. I'm pretty sure they could handle a party of 7, but you should contact them to confirm.[/QUOT

[QUOTE=thejens;2365358]I enjoy the planning. I do plan far in advance, use touring plans, select which park and which restaurants for each day, know when we will do wishes etc. But once there I have learned to be a bit flexible. If my kids look tired after lunch and want to go to the pool, we go. I've learned to prioritize the attractions that are really important to me and then even plan to be flexible. Ha, I even have to plan to let go of my plan. I am never disappointed by my resort because they are all pretty awesome. I guess the worst day at WDW is still pretty good.

I wonder if you need to say, when you are done with all your planning: I've done the best I can, and now whatever happens will be fine. It sounds like you are so worried that everything won't be perfect that it will be hard to enjoy yourself. Hope you can relax and enjoy and just let things be as they are once you are there. :mickey:

I'm sure I will be happy with everything once its done

ANG
07-22-2013, 02:20 PM
We start planning our next trip when we are already there. And we talk about all the time, like what places we want to try, ride, etc.

I book ADRs 180- days, plan around park hours, shows, and EMH. I wouldn't say it stresses me out though. It's all just so much fun :)

GAN
07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
There's a dining app? Haven't seen that

You have to search "My Disney Experience App" and you'll find it. It's an all encompassing app that includes hotel reservations, wait times, park maps, and dining options/reservations ..and maybe some other things. It was pretty useful -at least by Disney software standards.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Ok I got that was thinking there was a separate dining app

WDWFRK
08-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Half of the fun for me is in the planning and anticipation! I am a big planner, but I've also learned not to to overdo it and let my expectations build up to such a point that I will inevitably be disappointed. Enjoy all of the lead up to your vacation, but don't freak out if something doesn't live up to your expectations. Planning is an absolute necessity; however, flexibility goes a long way as well :mickey:.

mdricks
08-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I spend almost as much time planning as I do on the vacation. My family makes fun of me because I have notebooks for every trip I plan. At any given time I ill have 2 or 3 going.

They make fun of me up to the point that its 6 pm and they are starving then they look at me and say " sooooo. Where we eating?"

I learned a long time ago if you want it done your way do it yourself! You know where we eat every night?

Exactly where I want!

:number1: