PDA

View Full Version : Bad news at Six Flags

MartyS
07-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Apparently, about three hours ago, a woman was riding the Texas Giant roller coaster at Six Flags Over Texas and her restraint failed and she fell out of the car to her death. Very sad, her kids were on the same car in front of her. Prayers go out to her family.

Disney4us2
07-20-2013, 01:43 AM
How horrible. My heart goes out to her family.:pixie::pixie::pixie:

Melanie
07-20-2013, 08:19 AM
So tragic! Just read an article online about it. :(

mgmnut
07-20-2013, 10:34 AM
Very sad to hear...... So Tragic.

Arielfan98
07-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Yes my prayers go out to her and her children as they must endure the death of their mother :(

MNNHFLTX
07-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Can you imagine? What an awful thing to happen. :(

Kenny1113
07-20-2013, 01:26 PM
:(

joanna71985
07-20-2013, 02:20 PM
How horrible (and really scary)! :(

DizneyFreak2002
07-20-2013, 10:59 PM
This is a sad situation... Family going to an amusement park to have a fun family day, and a family members dies in a tragic accident...

I want to say one thing: Kudos to the Intercot community... On many other sites, there are members who are making fun of this woman because she was supposedly on the heavier side... The situation seems to be because of her body build (over weight, obese), the restraints didn't lock in tight enough, just enough to let the computer think they were in, but not enough to stay locked... The tasteless comments on other sites are sickening... They think it is funny... Really shows you the mentality of people... So, again, kudos to the Intercotees who will not go down that wretched road of trashiness and classlessness... :thumbsup:

1DisneyNut
07-21-2013, 08:20 AM
I saw a clip on the news about this late last night and it was said that she complained to the Six Flags ride attendant that her restraint did not feel secure. Apparently others in line heard the attendant simply say something to the effect that "If you heard it click it is good" and more or less blew her off and sent the ride on its way. Regardless of how it happened or what was said, a ride should never leave the staging area if a guest states they do not feel safe and secure. If that means they have to be asked to get back off of the ride, try again on the next one, not ride or whatever, then so be it but it should have never been sent on its way if she complained.

I cannot even begin to imagine what her kids are trying to cope with after witnessing such a thing.

mom2morgan
07-23-2013, 04:42 PM
this just gives me chills :-( I'm thinking of all the discussions I've heard - especially related Forbidden Journey over at Universal - about how to squeeze into a restraint that is just too small. **** it in, scrunch down, etc. All that advice about how to "force" the second click. And I once witnessed an employee at SeaWorld with is knee in a guy's stomache trying to squash him in on Kraken because he was so determined to ride. I'm so heavy (well, I was in September) that I didn't even try, but now I would really, really advise anyone thinking about it to make sure they fit comfortably and securely in those restraints with NO QUESTION. I can just totally picture this being me, and I feel just sick thinking about it.

MNNHFLTX
07-23-2013, 05:52 PM
I saw a clip on the news about this late last night and it was said that she complained to the Six Flags ride attendant that her restraint did not feel secure. Apparently others in line heard the attendant simply say something to the effect that "If you heard it click it is good" and more or less blew her off and sent the ride on its way. Regardless of how it happened or what was said, a ride should never leave the staging area if a guest states they do not feel safe and secure. If that means they have to be asked to get back off of the ride, try again on the next one, not ride or whatever, then so be it but it should have never been sent on its way if she complained.
Oh yes, from everything I've heard in the news down here, Six Flags has a huge liability in this situation (as well they should). Whether human, mechanical or computer error, it appears it is all on the amusement park's side.

frozman
07-23-2013, 07:09 PM
One time I was preparing to ride Superman Ride of Steel at Six Flags America (Maryland), and the operators came by and checked our restraints, and then a kid asked if she could get out because she was scared, and the operator told her "no it's too late". Seems like the same situation could have happened there.

MNNHFLTX
07-23-2013, 08:51 PM
One time I was preparing to ride Superman Ride of Steel at Six Flags America (Maryland), and the operators came by and checked our restraints, and then a kid asked if she could get out because she was scared, and the operator told her "no it's too late". Seems like the same situation could have happened there.
From everything I've heard this was a different situation altogether. Witnesses heard her express her concern to the attendant that her restraint was not secure, that she only heard it click once, whereas everyone else's restraints clicked two or three times. The attendant said as long as she heard it click it was okay. The woman fell out at the beginning of the first descent when she raised her hands up in the air, like people do on roller coasters. There didn't seem to be any indication at that point that she was afraid or tried to climb out. As far as it ever being "too late" to let someone out of a ride vehicle before it takes off, that sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

princessgirls
07-24-2013, 11:09 AM
As some one who is on the larger side, and takes her kids to Six Flags (Great Adventure as it is known here in NJ) that is absolutely my worst nightmare!!!

I don't even go on half the stuff anymore with the kids, but I'm sending them on, and entrusting that everything works the way it should. These are high impact thrill rides.

Last year, I remember saying to my husband as our kids were going up Kinda Ka, Let's just pray a minute, because our babies are on that thing!!!

Feel awful for the son who was with his mom. There are no words. Such a tragedy.
Julie