PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of Aloha good replacement for Ohana?

disneymomma2010
07-18-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm sure this question has been asked before but we can not get reservations for Ohana for our next trip and everyone's hearts was set on it. Would spirit of Aloha be similar? In food anyway.

faline
07-18-2013, 06:56 PM
In my memory, the menu at Spirit of Aloha is quite different than what is served at O'Hana's. Spirit of Aloha is worth doing, at least once.

I'm not crazy about the story line but the dancers are wonderful and the fire twirler is excellent.

We found the food to be quite good but it is not the same fare served at O'Hanas.

How far away is your trip? How large is your party? If you really want O'Hana's, I suggest that you continue to try. You never know when a cancellation will pop up. On one trip, we were trying to get Chef Mickey's for our 2 year old nephew. I continued to try (sometimes several times per day). The perfect reservation opened up for our party of 5 just a few days before our trip.

disneymomma2010
07-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Thank you! We are a party of 9 and we are going in September. We were booked for October and decided to go earlier. We booked a back up but we will continue to check for cancellations!

DizneyRox
07-19-2013, 12:36 AM
I wouldn't put that many people through the SoA show. I left wanting two hours of my life back and the money I spent. I got neither...

Katzateer
07-19-2013, 08:06 AM
I would book Kona. Food is great. And you still get the great Poly theme. Don't think the show/dinner is worth it and food is not as good as O'hanas.

faline
07-19-2013, 08:35 AM
With a party of 9, you have more of an issue waiting for a cancellation to come up but it's still a possibility so I'd still suggest you keep on trying.

I, too, would recommend Kona as a alternative. It's one of my favorite Disney restaurants.

KylesMom
07-19-2013, 11:38 AM
The other thing to keep in mind with the Spirit of Aloha show is that it is subject to show cancellation due to storms. We checked in at the Poly, it started pouring, they postponed the show, we sat around and waited . . . and waited. Some time QUITE later they cancelled it altogether. Too late to get into other restaurants, the whole evening was a total wash for us. Now, I had to contact Disney on several occasions for a refund, but if we would have paid on the Disney Dining Plan as so many do, I believe we would have been outta luck, especially if that was our last night there whereby we couldn't use our dining credits from the show.

Needless to say, that was our last attempt at attending the Spirit of Aloha show! Go with Kona and just keep trying for Ohana. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
07-19-2013, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't put that many people through the SoA show. I left wanting two hours of my life back and the money I spent. I got neither...

That is my sentiments exactly !! We had a party of 15 and it was horrid !! Beyone that actually !! It was so hot (JULY) outside, the ceiling fans did little to move the hot air around. I actually left before the show was 1/2 over. The bread was good, the rest was WAY beyond bad !! Two of my kids actually caught up with me on my way out and we played in the pool at the resort till the others showed up !! YUCK !!:thumbsup:

Keneva
07-19-2013, 07:19 PM
If you are thinking dinner show consider the Hoopty Doo Review. A party of nine would enjoy it and the food is about the same as the Luau show, only indoors with much more slapstick humor. Take the water launch. That being said...Nothing beats Ohana's.:chef:

faline
07-19-2013, 07:29 PM
If you are thinking dinner show consider the Hoopty Doo Review. A party of nine would enjoy it and the food is about the same as the Luau show, only indoors with much more slapstick humor.

Love Hoop Dee Doo! However, I would not describe the food as the same as Spirit of Aloha - perhaps of the same quality but not the same.

Hoop De Doo features fried chicken, baked beans and strawberry shortcake.

Kairi_7378
07-20-2013, 07:56 PM
I would consider booking Kona and then keep trying for O'hana. We ate there in order to visit the Poly last year (but because we book way within the 180-day window have never tried to get in O'hana, but I bet it would be great for your group!)

MargaretMessler
07-20-2013, 08:50 PM
I personally don't think Spirit of Aloha is worth the price. The food's not bad, but it's really not that different than the local Hawaiian dinner show I can see at home for much less.

For a dinner show I will second the HDDR. Ohana is hard to beat, we'll be doing that for the third time this coming trip. But we are also doing Kona, so I would try to book that while continuing to hope for some :magic: and a Ohana cancelation.

lvs_eeyore
07-24-2013, 04:42 AM
We did the Spirit of Aloha for our 20th Anniversary and it was a lot of fun. We are doing it this trip also this time with our sons for our 30th anniversary. That said the luau and Ohana are completely different. Keep trying for Ohana. If you are up early as I am around 4 AM keep checking the site. We were able to finally get a reservation at Ohana for 8:30 pm and we leave in 12 days. Don't give up.

disneymomma2010
07-24-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks! We will keep trying for ohana. We have whispering canyon booked as a back up, totally different but an old favorite.

lvs_eeyore
07-24-2013, 07:16 PM
When is your vacation? I would be willing to check for you early.

mydisneygirls
07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks! We will keep trying for ohana. We have whispering canyon booked as a back up, totally different but an old favorite.

Yes definitely keep trying for O'Hana, even if you have to split your party into two tables!!! You might be disappointed in Whispering Canyon (you can search my comments under dining)!!!