PDA

View Full Version : Flight pricing question

NewDVCowner
07-18-2013, 11:33 AM
When I first booked our trip over Easter week I check flight costs but didn't book. Now I checked the prices again and they've gone up $150! For all those more experienced travelers out there, do you think I should buy the tickets now because the price will just keep going up, or do you think they might go down again?

We're flying from San Francisco to Orlando.

Thanks!

faline
07-18-2013, 11:55 AM
It's always an expensive time of the year to fly. Plus, fuel prices are increasing again which also drives up flying costs as well. No way of knowing what the flight prices will do over the next few months.

Will you be flying with an airline that provides you a credit if flight prices go down after you purchase? That would be some safeguard in buying now.

Otherwise, it's a gamble and you need to determine what price point is comfortable for you.

DisneyDINK
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM
If your vacation dates are set I'd book sooner rather than later. Some airlines have a low price guarantee where if the price on the same flight(s) goes down after you buy you can request a travel credit on that airline. I've done that on Alaska Airlines many times. I don't believe United will do that. Out of SFO you might be looking at the United nonstop, whice might be worth the money for a shorter trip. If you want the cheapest fare regardless of airline (flyer miles issues) you might check Southwest out of OAK, but you'll have to wait a couple of months before you can book on SWA.

wdwaggie
07-18-2013, 01:09 PM
My opinion would be to book now. I'm only speaking from my experience of course, but I've rarely had ticket prices go back down. The price will most always go up the closer to the date of flying. I am already looking now for flights for our Sept 2014 trip and will book them as soon as they are available.

NewDVCowner
07-18-2013, 03:55 PM
That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, too. Thanks for your help!

vamaggie
07-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Due to kids and my work schedule we have to vacation on school breaks or summer (read: expensive flights!). What I do is get a price in mind that I would be ok with paying and when it gets to that price (or close enough in my mind) I book. I have found that prices never really go down during the holidays so I tend to book sooner rather than later as well.