PDA

View Full Version : First visit for person with a disability

K8screen
07-17-2013, 07:05 AM
I have visited WDW many times, but always with able bodied people like myself. We are now contemplating a first trip with my best friend who has Parkinsons. She is in her early 60s, but will want to do as many of the big rides, SpM, RnRC, ToT, EE etc, as possible as she is that sort of person! I dont foresee any problem for her getting into and out of ride vehicles, with a little help from us, and she can walk short distances, but certainly not all round the parks. I know wheelchairs are available for rent on property, but we will be staying for 2 weeks off property and will be visiting Sea World, Kennedy Space Centre as well as WDW (of course!) I wondered if anyone knew of somewhere we could rent a wheelchair for the whole trip, possibly having it delivered to our hotel, but this is not essential. Also, any other useful tips would be appreciated. I seem to remember reading on this site about a card you could get at Guest Services about assistance, but I dont know if this is just for children. Thanks.

Strmchsr
07-17-2013, 07:28 AM
Apple Scooters is the best place I've found to rent from. You definitely don't want to rent wheelchairs or scooters from Disney. WAY overpriced. Apple will deliver and pick up from your resort. I don't know if they have wheelchairs or just ECVs, though. There are some companies out there that I know rent wheelchairs, but I haven't used that service, but you definitely want to look for something other than Disney on that one.

The card you referred to is the GAC (Guest Assistance Card). It's only used if you need some kind of very specific assistance in the parks. For instance, a child or adult on the autism spectrum that can't wait in a crowded line with lots of people without a meltdown. The card will allow them to wait in a separate area. For someone in a wheelchair who can manage otherwise the GAC is not needed. You just come up in the wheelchair to the line entrance and the CMs will tell you where to go. The GAC is NOT a "front of the line" card as some believe.

Hammer
07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
As Chris stated, Apple Scooter gets high marks. I rented an ECV from them once and they were very good. Our family determined it was easier to use Mom's wheelchair, as Mom suffers from night blindness, so the ECV could not be used by her after dusk, which is the only reason we no longer rent from them.

I just checked their website and they do rent wheelchairs in 3 seat sizes (16, 18, and 20 inches).