PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bands

Bay Lake
07-16-2013, 02:36 PM
I may have missed this on here but are the magic bands assigned to a person forever or until the battery runs out or do you turn it in at the end of your vacation. I am going twice next year and I would think they will be up and running by then. So would I have the same band for both trips and what if i forget it at home?

BigB
07-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Annual Pass would keep them till they die.
No expiration would be similar to annual pass.
Otherwise, you would get one for each trip and they would "expire" after you used them up or 14 days after first visit.

minnie04
07-16-2013, 03:41 PM
This is going to replace the card right??

BigB
07-16-2013, 04:05 PM
This is going to replace the card right??

Eventually, yes. This also will become your Fastpass, and Photopass.

Butters
07-16-2013, 09:16 PM
I don't believe they are powered so they should never "die".

I've heard they may sell designed ones that can be reactivated each trip

Stu29573
07-17-2013, 09:09 AM
I thought they were passive technology...i.e. no battery...

Dulcee
07-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I thought they were passive technology...i.e. no battery...

Correct, they're RFID technology so no batteries needed.

It appears you'll use it only for individual trips (unless you use an annual pass). There are talks of being able to purchase upgraded bands or "bling" for bands.

cfoshe
08-27-2013, 09:52 AM
I like the idea of one every trip, gives me something else to collect.

Got my first bands yesterday for your up coming trip sept 21-26

Tekneek
08-27-2013, 10:46 AM
It would be nice if you could just buy more days for your existing band in the future. The capability exists to do that, just like they could let you buy more time for your mugs. RFID technology could really be an environmental gain by eliminating waste, but it seems Disney does not intend to realize that benefit at this time.

There seems to be some confusion over whether they can be re-used in the future or not.

Capt_redshirt
08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
I don't believe they are powered so they should never "die".

I've heard they may sell designed ones that can be reactivated each trip

Thats right RFID have no battery infact they are powered by the device that is activating it . so In theory they can always add more information to it every time you visit so it should be one band till you destroy it or request a new one...

Terra
08-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I just hope I can find a wallet that has a band slot for my Florida AP :blush::secret:
I can keep up with a card. It may be interesting with a band!

Crow
08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
so if im going on a trip in Dec not booked thru Disney and tickets not directly thru Disney, I will still have the card for my room and separate ticket correct

PopPhan
08-28-2013, 01:40 PM
It would be nice if you could just buy more days for your existing band in the future. The capability exists to do that, just like they could let you buy more time for your mugs. RFID technology could really be an environmental gain by eliminating waste, but it seems Disney does not intend to realize that benefit at this time.

There seems to be some confusion over whether they can be re-used in the future or not.

This is really no different than the LOS Refillable Mugs. Even before the RFID tags, the mugs were to be LOS only. Visit again, buy another one (or more)....

Disney may profess to be 'green,' but their visitor policy sure isn't.

Anthony007
08-28-2013, 06:49 PM
so if im going on a trip in Dec not booked thru Disney and tickets not directly thru Disney, I will still have the card for my room and separate ticket correct

We did not book through disney and they were still able to add hotel, charging, and park tickets to the band.

Crow
08-28-2013, 10:52 PM
We did not book through disney and they were still able to add hotel, charging, and park tickets to the band.

did you ask for the band or did they tell you that you were a test family

Anthony007
08-30-2013, 08:01 AM
did you ask for the band or did they tell you that you were a test family

We arrived at POP and they were waiting for us for our hotel, when we said we also had park tickets they added them to the band.

Crow
08-30-2013, 01:53 PM
We arrived at POP and they were waiting for us for our hotel, when we said we also had park tickets they added them to the band.

hm that's interesting. so maybe even though I wont be booking room or tickets thru Disney I may still get the bands

DizneyFreak2002
08-30-2013, 01:55 PM
hm that's interesting. so maybe even though I wont be booking room or tickets thru Disney I may still get the bands
You will... or at least should...

Tekneek
08-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Are you using a travel agency to book on-site rooms? If so, you could still be selected. I booked through Magical Journeys and they passed the invitation through to me when they had received it.

DizneyFreak2002
08-30-2013, 03:36 PM
BTW look for official roll outs of at least the magic band to begin shortly... FP+ may coincide with this roll out too...

VWL Mom
08-30-2013, 09:12 PM
BTW look for official roll outs of at least the magic band to begin shortly... FP+ may coincide with this roll out too...

I've read that too. They want the whole thing to be active by the start of their fiscal year which is October 1.

DizneyFreak2002
08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
Bay Lake Tower: Roll out Sept 30... Saratoga Spring roll out: October 21... As per DVC member services...

Goofy4TheWorld
08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
I just hope I can find a wallet that has a band slot for my Florida AP :blush::secret:
I can keep up with a card. It may be interesting with a band!

George Costanza had one big enough!