PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon- Snorkeling/swimming with sea life

texas211
07-13-2013, 09:50 PM
I've read about the snorkeling/swimming with sea life? Is it worth the trip to do it? I'm a big guy, do they have larger enough wetsuit/vests? I know seaworld keeps huge wetsuits on hand. Just curious.

hauntedmansiongirl
07-14-2013, 06:15 AM
We have never used wetsuits. We just use their vest and our own mask and snorkel, so it shouldn't be an issue for you. The water is freezing cold! There is lots to see but they keep you moving through pretty fast. We usually end up going through 3 or 4 times in a row- you only have to listen to their spiel once.

We always go first thing in the morning before it gets crazy busy!

stephicakes
07-14-2013, 06:29 AM
If you're talking about the Shark Reef, we have gone a few times and have never seen a wet suit offered and the life jacket is optional as long as you can float on your own. They say the water is around 68 degrees but feels colder to me! The swim literally takes 5 minutes as it is not that big even if you take your time, but there have always been people behind us so I didn't want to linger too long. I agree that going in the morning is best. I thought it was worth it just to say I swam with sharks!
:shark: :jaw:
The price to do this is already included in the admission cost so what have you got to lose?? :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
07-14-2013, 08:26 AM
If you're really interested in swimming with some incredible sea life consider doing the Aquaseas tour (if you're not SCUBA certified) or DriveQuest (if you are) at the Seas in Epcot. Awesome experience! And, I'm a big guy, too, and they had wetsuits that fit me fine. I think they had up to 3x or 4x.

PlutoPlanet
07-18-2013, 12:39 PM
You aren't in the water long enough to need a wet suit (depending on the time of year). We go in August, and it's good to be in near 60 degreee water for a couple of minutes. I like to do it, but DW and DD have given up. They don't think it is worth the 30 minute wait.

johnsouthjersey
07-26-2013, 11:56 PM
I would recommend Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon if your plans take you to the Disney Water Parks. Water is mid to upper 60s, normal for NJ, refreshing on a hot day. If you don't thrash around and just float gently along, fish will come by you. I saw blue tangs and one small shark came close enough that I couldn't get all of him in the picture I took with the waterproof disposable 35mm camera. Its a short relaxing snorkel through, they ask you not to kick your feet, so as not to frighten the fish, or knock the mask off the person behind you. Very short line the day I went, plan to do it again.

VWL Mom
07-27-2013, 06:24 AM
If you're interested in spending some time exploring you may want to try the S.A.S. Adventure at Shark Reef. It's Surface Air Snorkeling, where you get a "pony" tank and a small regulator as in SCUBA diving, as well as a buoyancy vest (no wetsuit). You will be given an instructional overview and then spend a half-hour snorkeling. The fee is $20 per half-hour. Participants must be at least 5 years old. You can sign up for the S.A.S. Adventure at Hammerhead Fred's Dive Shop.