PDA

View Full Version : Where to Stay Night Before Cruise

faline
07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Next year, we will taking a cruise out of Port Canaveral. Our plan is to fly into Orlando a day early and use a car service to bring us to the Canaveral area. We would plan to overnight somewhere in that area before boarding the ship.

Has anyone stayed in this area and can you recommend a good place to stay? We won't have a car so we'd like a resort that has on-site activities to keep us busy and decent on-site dining. I've done some on-line research on accommodations in that area and, frankly, I'm not seeing anything that makes me want to book at any of them. I know that it easy to get an incomplete picture (or even a wrong impression) when depending on internet searches. I would much prefer to hear what experiences other Intercottees have had with lodgings in this area!!

wildernesslady
07-12-2013, 07:24 PM
We have stayed at Country Inn and Suites. Very nice and continental breakfast was decent. We do rent a car one way and take the rental car shuttle in the morning to the port. It was easy and painless to do. Cocoa beach is pretty spread out so you may want to consider this option. We also go to fish lips restaurant on the cruise canal and watch the ships leave the night before we depart.

faline
07-12-2013, 07:49 PM
We have stayed at Country Inn and Suites.

Thanks. I'll be sure to check this out.

We do rent a car one way and take the rental car shuttle in the morning to the port. It was easy and painless to do.

I'm not sure I understand what a "rental care shuttle" is?? Please explain.

wildernesslady
07-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure I understand what a "rental care shuttle" is?? Please explain.

Oops i just realized it should read car not care. When you return your rental the morning of the cruise, there is a shuttle that takes you to the port. We used Budget. It was nice to have a way to get around the area.

DizneyRox
07-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Why not say in the MCO area and utilize disney transfers?

We stayed at the airport Marriott before several of our cruises and then used a car service. I don't believe there are any rental services at the port, you would need to do a shuttle.

There are a number restaurants within walking distance on that Marriott. They also offer a free shuttle back and forth to the airport.

Christine
07-13-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't know about the lodging, but I second the FishLips recommendation! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
07-13-2013, 05:01 PM
We are doing Christmas on the Fantasy in 2014. We have decided to do our trip like you, get there a day early and use a car service to transfer to the port. We have looked into staying at the Airport Hyatt, that way we don't even have to leave the airport!

susie & perla's mom
07-13-2013, 05:09 PM
we will be sailing on the Fantasy this November and will be staying in Disney's French Quarter and enjoy Downtown Disney before the cruise. We'll use the Magical Express from the airport to the resort (free) and just paid for the transportation from the resort to the port and then back to the airport.:mickey:

baldburke
07-13-2013, 09:25 PM
I agree with Wildernesslady. There's lots of options in and around Cocoa Beach. We stayed at Courtyard Cocoa Beach Cape Canaveral. It was right on the beach so we got an afternoon on the sand before headed out the next day. Plus they shuttled us to the ship in the morning and we got a good package that made parking there cheaper than at Disney's lot.

faline
07-14-2013, 03:12 PM
I agree with Wildernesslady. There's lots of options in and around Cocoa Beach. We stayed at Courtyard Cocoa Beach Cape Canaveral. It was right on the beach so we got an afternoon on the sand before headed out the next day.

So, it sounds like you can walk right out onto the beach?? Looks like a definite option!!

faline
07-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Thought about this but wanted to have some activities to keep us busy that day and something new to explore.

faline
07-14-2013, 03:17 PM

We thought of that but wanted some activities to do that day - perhaps spending the day at the beach and a new area of Florida to explore.

Christine
07-14-2013, 05:48 PM
We thought of that but wanted some activities to do that day - perhaps spending the day at the beach and a new area of Florida to explore.

Historic downtown cocoa is very charming!

BrerGnat
07-15-2013, 09:33 AM
We had planned to do that last year, and we had a reservation at the Holiday Inn in Titusville. We had planned to visit Kennedy Space Center...until I saw how EXPENSIVE it would be to go there. Since we would only have a few hours to do so, we canned that plan, and cancelled the Holiday Inn reservation and stayed at the AoA in a Cars suite for one night. We figured we'd have more fun exploring the resort and hitting Downtown Disney, and it was a good choice.

Since you are going on the Fantasy, you will be doing a lot of "beach" stuff during the cruise. From what I saw of the Cocoa Beach area the day before our cruise, I am glad we didn't waste any time there. Just not what I was expecting and not our sort of place.

In a few weeks, we are cruising the Dream again, and after much hemming and hawing over where to stay the night before, and whether to rent a car vs. private transport vs. Disney transfers, we have decided to stay at the MCO Hyatt Regency and use Disney transfers. Rental cars are SO insanely expensive this year and we have 5 in our party. Even at $70 pp, the Disney transfers are cheaper than either a rental car or a private van transfer. Plus, they will take us to the port, to the WL after the cruise, and then back to the airport when we check out.

If you are flying home the day of the cruise, I would point you towards using Disney transfers for this reason: you can do onboard airline check in on the ship but ONLY if you have Disney transfers booked. You sign up for it when you check in for the cruise and then you will receive your boarding passes the night before you get off the ship, leave your bags outside your door the night before (like everyone is required to do anyway) and then pick them up at your home airport! It's the same as the service at the resorts. SUCH a nice perk, IMO.

Plus, Disney transfers are only $70 pp, so with two people, it's actually the most economical option. Private transfers run around $120 plus tip, from what I have seen.

And, if you stay at the airport Hyatt, they ALSO will deal with your bags to get them on the ship. Just leave them in your room the morning of departure and they will collect them and take them to the ship. They have a contract with DCL to provide this service and it's free. We've been to MCO many, many times, but apparently, there is a museum, art gallery, huge arcade, etc. It will be plenty to keep our kids occupied for an evening, and since we land at 5:30pm, we don't need to kill much time.

Just throwing that info out there.

faline
07-24-2013, 07:57 PM
I wanted to thank everyone who provided advice and information. After reviewing all of our options, and thinking about what all of you have said, I think we have decided to spend one evening before our cruise in a Disney resort. We won't have park tickets so we won't be visiting any parks - not sure how that will work for us. We're thinking we might head over to the Grand Floridian, hang out while listening to the band, have a nice dinner somewhere on site, get a good night's sleep and head off to the cruise ship.

CanadianWDWFan
07-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Anywany you do it, it is a great idea to get down there a day or two early. I couldn't imagine the pressure of the potential flight delays/cancellations if you fly down the day of your cruise.

Relax and enjoy your time before your cruise!