PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning mouth - oil pulling

Katzateer
07-12-2013, 09:10 AM
Never had heard of this but it is basically swishing oil ( coconut oil is preferred) in mouth for 20 minutes and then spitting it out. supposed to make your teeth, gums healthy, clean, brighter teeth. Since I drink coffee and tea my teeth seem to not feel as clean. also might be the well water.

Anyone try this?

BrerGnat
07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
20 minutes? I couldn't swish anything around for 20 min.

I highly doubt the validity of that claim. Sounds ridiculous to me. Ingesting coconut oil has a host of health benefits, but cleaning teeth? No.

Dulcee
07-12-2013, 09:54 AM
The idea behind this is there are some types of coconut oil that are enzymatically treated. Its these enzymes that seems to upset some of the common bacteria that lead to tooth decay, mouth odor and gum disease.

However, not much real, aka peer reviewed and published, research has been done. The supposed benefits aren't present if you end up with a non-treated oil.

I doubt it would hurt but you'd likely get just as decent results from brushing and flossing twice daily.

AvonleaCF
07-12-2013, 10:37 AM
I'd rather use mouth wash for 15 seconds a day...

VWL Mom
07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
DS18 had become a real chatterbox lately. Maybe I should let him try it so I can have my morning coffee in peace (or at least 20 minutes of peace). :D

Ms. Mode
07-12-2013, 02:46 PM
I use toothpaste with whitener :thumbsup:

Katzateer
07-12-2013, 03:15 PM
DS18 had become a real chatterbox lately. Maybe I should let him try it so I can have my morning coffee in peace (or at least 20 minutes of peace). :D

Lol - love it!

What I read said it doesn't have to be coconut oil - any vegetable oil is fine- but the coconut oil was the best choice. I don't know if I could do it either - I have enough problem using listerene for a minute or so.

greengeen
07-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Actually, you should be THRILLED that DS18 still talks to you! Not typical for all teens! I barely get a yup or nope out of my DS17.