PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Diet Restritions

thads
07-10-2013, 05:05 PM
So we are spending a week at POR in November and we have a couple of individuals in our party that have special dietary needs, primarily low-carb options. I am sure this is something that Disney has addressed, and it probably has been covered in this forum before. We have the dining plan and I am wondering about the following.

1. At most table service locations is possible to do substitutions for a low carb option (ie, veggies instead of potato)?

2. Are there low carb counter service options in all of the parks? I can think of a few like Flame Tree BBQ.

3. If you are not eating deserts, is the dining plan even worth it?

I know this is a lot for one post, so thanks for helping us out?

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Great questions! Disney is great at offering options, so this shouldn't be a problem at all.

1. Yes, it shouldn't be an issue to get veggies (or extra veggies) at all. I know I've subbed veggies a bunch of times (for other ones I liked better) and it wasn't an issue. As long as it is on the menu, shouldn't be an issue at all.

2. There are options in the parks. A lot of places serve salads with grilled chicken and the like. Again, shouldn't be an issue at all.

3. Not having desserts greatly reduces the value of the plan (which is iffy at the start in most cases). There will be some options for dessert, but not a lot of choice and it may be better to forgo the dining plan, so everyone can choose exactly what they want.

Have a super trip!

Posterchild
07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Table service should be easy cheesy, and in the nicer places the staff and chef will even assist.

Counter service will be tougher, but they have options like carrots or grapes instead of fries, so that depends on what type of low-carb diet your on, how hardcore your doing it, and if your in induction phase.

As for desserts, another tough one, and again probably the closest you will get is fruit, which I know has carbs...

Like being in a foreign country, sometimes it is easier to modify our diets to our surroundings than the alternatives.

TheDuckRocks
07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
1) Yes, I have done exactly this at many TS restaurants.
2) Yes, WDW CS menus have added more and more healthy choices. Do a google search for Disney World counter service menus and you can find them.
3) No, as a crazed woman who has a fixation with spreadsheets I run the numbers every trip and if you do not order everything that you are entitled to you lose money. If you didn't order desserts at both the TS and CS meals you would be losing about $3 to $5 (or more) a day per person.

thads
07-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow, that is some great advice. Thanks everyone. It is good to know that there are so many of you out there who do research like I do.