PDA

View Full Version : Refidgerator Issues at Resorts

Strmchsr
07-10-2013, 01:31 PM
I don't have hard confirmation on this, but I got an email from a CM friend who works at WDW. Apparently there is a problem/defect with some refrigerators at Walt Disney World, Disneyland, and Aulani Resort. The fridges have removed or temporarily disconnected until the issue can be resolved. Apparently there will be a letter in your room notifying you of why the fridge isn't there but no way to know in advance if you'll have one of those rooms or not. Greg didn't know any specifics about which rooms/resorts just yet. This is slated to take several months to fully resolve, though. So, just a heads up If you were planning on bringing food/drinks. I'll do my best to confirm this.

**Update - This is confirmed and will impact all resorts expect for DVC and Ft Wilderness Cabins and will take 3-4 months to resolve. Also a very limited number of fridges will be available only for medical needs but even that can't be guaranteed.

cer
07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Wow.

PopPhan
07-10-2013, 02:31 PM
I have sen this reported on a few sites, and numerous times on facebook, today.

Disney Parks and Resorts today advised it has begun pulling the complimentary mini-fridges from all of its hotels at Walt Disney World, Disneyland and Aulani Resorts due to a possible manufacturer’s defect. The only locations unaffected by this move are DVC rooms, the cabins at Fort Wilderness and family suites at Disney’s Art of Animation and All-Star Music resorts. The replacement of said refrigerators is expected to take upwards of four months or more by rough estimation.

In response to the maneuver, Walt Disney World will make available a limited number of refrigerators that may be requested in advance, but cannot be guaranteed.

disneymom15
07-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the report. It says doesn't affect DVC, what about DVC studios that have mini
fridges.

JenniferP
07-10-2013, 03:37 PM
This is what we've heard:

"Due to a possible defect in the refrigerators in some of the Guest rooms at the Walt Disney WorldŽ and DisneylandŽ Resorts, as well as Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa, Resort hotels at these locations have removed or temporarily disconnected Guest room refrigerators until the issue can be resolved.

Guests staying at these Resort hotels will be notified of the refrigerator removal via a letter in their room. Currently the schedule for replacing the refrigerators at these Resorts is expected to last several months."

AgentC
07-10-2013, 03:40 PM
The latest update I have heard is that Disney will be removing the mini fridges as guests check out. It will affect every non suite room at every non DVC resort. There has not been a definite answer on the DVC studios yet.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-10-2013, 03:40 PM
This will be a pain! Geesh ... 4 months to replace fridges?

AgentC
07-10-2013, 03:44 PM

I thought it was a long time too, but it must be a lot of refrigerators. My guess would be it is more of a supply issue than a labor issue.

Polynesian Dweller
07-10-2013, 05:03 PM

Uh, 25000 rooms equals a lot of refrigerators equals a lot of man hours.

This has to be a manufacturers defect that causes a potentially high safety risk for them to react lie this.

Itchy
07-10-2013, 07:00 PM
They are probably having trouble finding money to buy the new fridges....:blush:

BuddyL4
07-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Busy installing the RFID chips so they can charge when you open them. Have to wait for the length of stay price, and lets not forget the 180 day window to reserve one. No I won't get into the fast pass+ debate with a fridge. OK I'm done now :thedolls: I couldn't help it. I am sure this has to happen due to a saftey concern and if so someones head is rolling over this :silly:

VWL Mom
07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
I wonder if this was the fault of the refrigerator mfg or the result of keeping them in unvented cabinets at many of the resorts. I remember seeing posts of them overheating.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-10-2013, 09:02 PM
am sure this has to happen due to a saftey concern and if so someones head is rolling over this :silly:

I doubt that, my guess is they will get promoted to Vice President of Resorts .

brownie
07-10-2013, 09:25 PM
I thought it was a long time too, but it must be a lot of refrigerators. My guess would be it is more of a supply issue than a labor issue.

That'd be my guess too. Over 20,000 mini-fridges is a lot to replace at one time. I'd hate to work in accounting for the manufacturer.

KylesMom
07-10-2013, 11:46 PM
I know that I was very disappointed in the new "energy efficient" refrigerator that was in my room at All Star Music when I came down for ICOT15. It did not keep my food cold enough and I ended up throwing a lot of items away because I was concerned about food safety. I am sure that's not the reason they are being pulled, but it is worth noting . . .

BrerGnat
07-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I read there was apparently a fire in a room at the Grand Californian due to one of these fridges. Thus, the safety recall.

Really, it is kind of a bummer as we are traveling in about a month to WL, but we'll deal. We really only ever use the room fridge to keep water cold but ice works just as well. :)

waymickey
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Welcome to you deluxe accommodations here at the fabulous Disney Resort. You can purchase a large ice bucket (20 oz capacity) for $10.95 single day, $11.95 2 days. $12.95 3 days or $17.95 4 or more days/ length of stay. You can refill it 4 times in an hour with ice from the ice machine. The ice bucket is only good during this trip and cannot be reused on future trips. Enjoy your stay!
:haha::silly::rotfl: Just kidding of course but I could not resist.
Seriously safety first.:number1:

AvonleaCF
07-11-2013, 11:40 AM
I know stuff happens, but this is really disappointing. I rely on those fridges for breakfast (orange juice and cream cheese), plus having cold water and soda. With all the changes to the mug program, it would have been nice to have cold soda in the room. The ice bucket only works for a short amount of time before it melts (so not good for storing cream cheese for a few days).

Leaving in 7 weeks. Not looking positive...

#1donaldfan
07-11-2013, 12:10 PM
That stinks !! We use them every trip, although not for anything but keeping our water cold.....I guess I can deal with it.....the fridge is a "perk" I wonder how deeply they will discount my room charge ?? Kidding !!:mickey:

Hammer
07-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the report. It says doesn't affect DVC, what about DVC studios that have mini fridges.

It has been a few years since I stayed in a studio (usually we get a 2 bedroom villa), but I think the studio fridge is slightly larger and from a different company than a regular WDW hotel fridge.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-11-2013, 01:55 PM
I am amazed at the lack of hostility toward Disney here, so let me be the first. If I were booked into a room expecting a fridge I would be furious. I find it hard to believe that there is such a monumental safety issue that warrants the abandonment of 25,00 fridges. Even if one did catch on fire, one fridge out of 25,000 over two years is not an unmanageable risk.

While I would hope we learn more about this soon, unless there is an electrical shock issue (which should never happen unless the ground wire is coming loose), this is just ridiculous. Things with motors and/or heat exchangers overheat sometimes, and Disney could probably just take the fridges out of those suffocating cabinets to buy them some time. This just seems like a large scale over-reaction, most likely ordered by the legal department, and one the will result in a significant inconvenience for many guests, often to their complete surprise once they check into their room.

1DisneyNut
07-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to overheating from them being inside those enclosed cabinets. Any moron would know better than to put an appliance or piece of equipment that generates heat inside a closed cabinet. Whenever we stay at a hotel that has them inside a cabinet, I always make sure the cabinet door stays open. You will find they work better.

I don't recall where we were and it may well have been at WDW (I am thinking possibly Port Orleans) but the cabinet was hot to the touch around the refrigerator. I actually pulled it out of the cabinet, set it to the side and plugged it back in for use during our stay. The cabinet was so warm you could actually smell it.

On a side note, for those of you who want or need a refrigerator; back when WDW used to charge $10 per night for the mini fridges, after we would unload our luggage, we would run to walmart and grab a mini fridge along with the things we needed. They were only $70 at the time which was less than what WDW would charge us for a week after taxes. When we were leaving, I would ask guests just arriving and bringing their luggage in if they would like to have the refrigerator and ask them to just pass it along when they left. I am sure WDW eventually ended up with it but oh well. They still aren't very expensive so if you just have to have one, run and buy one. I have also simply used a styrofoam cooler, ice and rock salt. Using the salt, I have actually frozen waters in the cooler.

As for the comment of heads rolling, like someone else mentioned; I wouldn't be surprised if they got a promotion. That is how the corporations work in the US. The morons get promoted just to get them out of a particular job or department....nobody has the kahunas to simply fire the idiots anymore.

ckaranassos
07-11-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm with you Goofy. We arrive in 39 days after a short stay at Sea world with a party of 9 and have rented a car to stop and get water, beer and wine. I have no issues spending money on good food and drink. But, I do love to cut some costs by enjoying a beverage or two in my room :D while I'm getting ready for my evening plans. Thank goodness for my friends at intercot. Because, if I found out about the lack of refrigerator upon my arrival (groceries in hand) I think I might be a little less than magical. It wouldn't ruin my trip but being "Tour guide Barbie" for my group I would be mad. Now at least I can plan ahead.

cer
07-11-2013, 02:57 PM
The morons get promoted...

Frank Burns.

;)

magicofdisney
07-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Does anyone else see the irony between loss of fridges and new RFID mugs?

faline
07-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I Even if one did catch on fire, one fridge out of 25,000 over two years is not an unmanageable risk.

I don't understand this reasoning. Imagine being asleep in the hotel room containing the faulty refrigerator with two adults and two small childen. The smouldering refrigerator could potentially kill all the folks in the room before an actual fire occurs. Then, how about all the other folks in all the other rooms in that resort that would be at risk as flames spread?

In my book, the possibility of one fire is one fire too many. If this is the issue that is driving the removal of the refrigerators, Disney is doing the right thing.

BrerGnat
07-11-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't understand this reasoning. Imagine being asleep in the hotel room containing the faulty refrigerator with two adults and two small childen. The smouldering refrigerator could potentially kill all the folks in the room before an actual fire occurs. Then, how about all the other folks in all the other rooms in that resort that would be at risk as flames spread?

In my book, the possibility of one fire is one fire too many. If this is the issue that is driving the removal of the refrigerators, Disney is doing the right thing.

I totally agree Linda.

Hotel fires are never an acceptable risk. They are often quite devastating because they spread so quickly.

Remember how there used to NOT be fridges in all the resorts? Pretend it's like that again for the next few months and use the ice machines. It is entirely possible to keep bottled drinks cold using just ice.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-11-2013, 08:51 PM

Perfectly fine curling irons, coffee pots, and irons are responsible for much worse than (if reports are true) one fridge out of 25,000. Not all risk can be avoided, at least IMHO.

DizneyFreak2002
07-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Go to Walmart... Buy a cooler or what ever they are called (they are kind of cheap) and fill it with ice daily... put your beverages in the ice cooler... Enjoy a cold beverage when returning to your room...

brownie
07-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I'm thinking it has to be something more than a single fire. They would not be pulling every single fridge unless they really had to. I think they know about the inconvenience this is going to cause, so there has to be a compelling reason for Disney to take these steps.

Aurora
07-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I totally agree Linda.

Hotel fires are never an acceptable risk. They are often quite devastating because they spread so quickly.

Remember how there used to NOT be fridges in all the resorts? Pretend it's like that again for the next few months and use the ice machines. It is entirely possible to keep bottled drinks cold using just ice.

I was kind of surprised to hear there WERE fridges in all the rooms. The last stay we had in Port Orleans in 2008, there weren't.

Scorpiosammy
07-11-2013, 10:24 PM
OMG I cannot believe this is happening :(

Anyone know the status of the fridges at the Poly? DH and I just booked our trip and my mother has 2 medical conditions that absolutely require refrigeration. I requested one when I made the ressie but was assured I would have a fridge ("mini" fridge is totally fine) even without a request. This may be huge or cause us to not be able to go..

Any help, advice, or info is greatly appreciated :)

Polynesian Dweller
07-12-2013, 12:13 AM
OMG I cannot believe this is happening :(

Anyone know the status of the fridges at the Poly? DH and I just booked our trip and my mother has 2 medical conditions that absolutely require refrigeration. I requested one when I made the ressie but was assured I would have a fridge ("mini" fridge is totally fine) even without a request. This may be huge or cause us to not be able to go..

Any help, advice, or info is greatly appreciated :)

Make sure on your request that fridge is needed for medical reasons and mention it again at checkin. They will make sure that you get a fridge under these circumstances.

Renfairwedding
07-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Looks like I need to break out the old fridge from my shop and haul it back to Disney. Has a freezer to! LOL... like the old days were it looked like we are moving in at check in.

It dose help I have a big van.

For those who fly... We used to get a foam cooler from Walmart and used the free ice to chill what ever. Bring some ziplock bag to keep items dry.

:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
07-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Anyone know the status of the fridges at the Poly? DH and I just booked our trip and my mother has 2 medical conditions that absolutely require refrigeration.

Make sure on your request that fridge is needed for medical reasons and mention it again at checkin. They will make sure that you get a fridge under these circumstances.

The issue is that even medical fridges will be in very short supply. I understand the problem. My son is a diabetic and has to keep his insulin refrigerated. My CM friend said they're not sure how many they'll have available for medical purposes and if they're gone, they're gone. No guarantees. However, he did say as an absolute last resort (and I realize this is an inconvenience) guests with medical issues could leave their medication in the big fridge at bag services. It's not ideal, but at least provides a solution.

azcavalier
07-12-2013, 08:14 AM
I was thinking about buying one of those coolers that is electric. You can plug it in to the car, or an outlet...like a cooler/refrigerator. Keep stuff cool on the 12 hour drive, and then just roll it into the room and plug it into the wall.

Mickey'sGirl
07-12-2013, 08:24 AM
I was thinking about buying one of those coolers that is electric. You can plug it in to the car, or an outlet...like a cooler/refrigerator. Keep stuff cool on the 12 hour drive, and then just roll it into the room and plug it into the wall.We have one of those, which we used to use before fridges were in the Value rooms. A good idea. :thumbsup:

coloradowendyl
07-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Disney released the information about the fridges on Wed., July 10. If you booked your vacation prior to July 10, there were fridges in all resort rooms and no one was aware that there was an issue requiring their removal. This is an inconvenience and a concern to many. However, no one from the CMs at the reservation center to travel agents had any prior knowledge before July 10.

You can request a medical fridge and Disney will be doing their best to accommodate. Many clients have told me that they will be utilitizing the "old fridge"system aka ziplock bag and ice bucket or soft sided cooler.

Disney has not done this to inconvenience anyone's trip, but rather as a precautionary measure for safety. Disney takes safety concerns very seriously.

Wendy

ckaranassos
07-12-2013, 09:49 AM
I just read on another site that Disney is refunding $15 a night for lack of refrigerator. Anyone else hear about this? My problem with this situation is certainly not Disney's response to a safety issue- No one wants a fire at a resort. I think it stinks not being notified prior to arrival (I think a simple letter to those with reservations is warranted) and I'm concerned about ice production if a couple thousand guests are filling coolers during August to keep things cold. Hopefully, anyone with medical needs will get a refrigerator. Because that is a truly upsetting situation and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

PopPhan
07-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I am amazed at the lack of hostility toward Disney here, so let me be the first. If I were booked into a room expecting a fridge I would be furious. I find it hard to believe that there is such a monumental safety issue that warrants the abandonment of 25,00 fridges. Even if one did catch on fire, one fridge out of 25,000 over two years is not an unmanageable risk.

While I would hope we learn more about this soon, unless there is an electrical shock issue (which should never happen unless the ground wire is coming loose), this is just ridiculous. Things with motors and/or heat exchangers overheat sometimes, and Disney could probably just take the fridges out of those suffocating cabinets to buy them some time. This just seems like a large scale over-reaction, most likely ordered by the legal department, and one the will result in a significant inconvenience for many guests, often to their complete surprise once they check into their room.

So, if your room happened to be the one in 25,000 that actually sparked a fire, you would be OK with that? And if that fire actually spread throughout the building?

Be reasonable. Disney is doing exactly what they should in this case. Yes, be upset about it, but understand that it is a safety/fire hazard that is being addressed and they, in this case, prefer to err on the side of safety.

In this case, I actually would give Disney kudos for doing the right thing. (Unlike like some car company that refused/refuses to admit their vehicles might have a safety issue [Jeep *cough* *cough*])

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2013, 10:21 AM
For those who fly... We used to get a foam cooler from Walmart and used the free ice to chill what ever. Bring some ziplock bag to keep items dry.

:thumbsup:
Exactly... This is an easy solution to no fridge in the room... Vacations should not be ruined because of this.. I give Disney the business when I do not agree with their moves, but this is something they had to do... They cannot risk a potentially dangerous situation from breaking out in any of their resorts...

I did exactly as you did in 2002 when I stayed in Caribbean Beach... Foam cooler, filled it with ice... I did, however, put a few towels under the cooler... Some water either was seeping through or major condensation was forming because the rug was soaked one day when I got back from being out...

4disneynuts
07-12-2013, 11:52 AM
I was thinking about buying one of those coolers that is electric. You can plug it in to the car, or an outlet...like a cooler/refrigerator. Keep stuff cool on the 12 hour drive, and then just roll it into the room and plug it into the wall.

We own one and they are great! We used it for camping but if we were driving to Disney we would definitely take it with us, but we are flying so not this trip. :thumbsup:

JerseyDad
07-12-2013, 11:53 AM
....this is all part of a HUGE FAILURE on the part of Disney. I am very careful to not be negatively critical of Disney because they do so much (99%) correctly. But this was a failure from the beginning ...I noticed it as soon as I checked into POP last summer and the cooler (they are NOT refrigerators!!) did not work properly ...as in ...at all.

For starters ...they do not ...in any instance ...belong in an enclosure or cabinet. It says so right in the manufacturers literature (instructions ...which I guess no one reads). This is because they need open air to function properly ...being that they work on superconductor technology ...and give off HUGE amounts of heat. And ...they are also not recommended for areas that are "moist" (last I checked ...Florida has a good deal of humidity), and they are not recommended for areas that are "dusty". I sincerely doubt that housekeeping pulls the coolers out at every room turnover and cleans accumulated dust from the blower fan vent and the cabinet in general.

Secondly, the whole energy efficiency / savings attempt by Disney, by using these coolers ...is a FAILURE. They give off a huge amount of heat ...and in doing so ....make the A/C in the rooms work that much harder to keep the room cool. And I know for a fact that the A/C cost more to run than the coolers ....or a real mini-fridge. So ...where's the savings?

Thirdly .....they don't cool in what can be considered a proper time-frame. So ...if you have a 6-pack of soda ...at "just from my hot car" temperature ....they will take forever to "cool" ...but ...they are sealed ...with no chance of spoilage. Now ...put a temperature sensitive food in there that is susceptible to bacterial growth (dairy, meats, etc) ....and it takes several hours to cool .......and you'll be facing a nice case of food poisoning.

Fourth ....many on other WDW boards have suggested that "Disney owes you nothing" related to a credit / giveback, etc, due to the inconvenience caused by this problem. I'm not looking for a giveback ...but I have to disagree. The room rates are based on having a fridge (which btw ...it is NOT ...and Disney could be technically charged with false advertising by saying the room amenities are a fridge ...when it's actually a cooler). When all rooms were supplied with "fridges" last year ...the room rates also went up ....and though some may argue that there's no direct correlation ....I again have to disagree. So .....if a amenity is advertised as part of the "overall package" ...and then it's absent ....so kind of "make good" action should be offered. (maybe a $10/day discount on the room??...since the fridges used to be rentals at that cost)

Fifth ....I know that this is an issue / inconvenience that can be worked around by guests. Coolers can be brought to WDW (I drive to WDW ...and will be doing so on Aug 23rd for a stay at POP)....and the ice machines can be used to fill the coolers. Of course it's gonna' take about 10 trips to the ice machine (and back) to fill the cooler ...and then when it melts ...someone's got to lift it to dump the water in the tub (it's going to weigh about 100 lbs for a moderate size cooler).

The question becomes: Do I want to even have to deal with this? I'm not a person that basically brings every kind of food to WDW with me to ...in essence ...set up a home-away-from-home (along with bringing a slew of appliances that don't belong in the hotel rooms ...ie: coffee makers, toasters,...etc). Nor do I basically have a grocery truck back up to my room while I'm there to "stock the pantry". I bring a case of beer and some other adult beverages to keep the trip affordable (sort of) related to those items.

At this point it becomes not so much about the missing cooler ...it becomes an issue of having to "think" about it ...and having that sinking feeling that WDW failed on some level to foresee this problem.

KODABEAR
07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
:knit::old: I'm glad that if there is a refrig problem they are being removed and replaced! DH can no longer move about quickly. We now have Karen (MJ) get us a 1st floor room when possible. Just returned from a trip around the South and the refrig's at Country Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Hilton, all have there refrig's in cabinets. :mickey:

DonaldDuckUSA
07-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Busy installing the RFID chips so they can charge when you open them. Have to wait for the length of stay price, and lets not forget the 180 day window to reserve one. No I won't get into the fast pass+ debate with a fridge. OK I'm done now :thedolls: I couldn't help it. I am sure this has to happen due to a saftey concern and if so someones head is rolling over this :silly:

HAHAHAHAHA. I love it.

Man...this just means that I'm going to have to make MORE purchases in Disney. No more yogurt, juice, sandwich meat, salsa, or other treats that need refrigeration.

DonaldDuckUSA
07-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Go to Walmart... Buy a cooler or what ever they are called (they are kind of cheap) and fill it with ice daily... put your beverages in the ice cooler... Enjoy a cold beverage when returning to your room...

I see your point and as a gal who lives in Florida, travels to Disney in her own car, and goes often, I'm the type to make the time for this sort of activity, but imagine the family that has to take time out of their trip to make a trip to Walmart to buy a cooler/minifridge.

For the family who flys to Orlando, pays a really high rate for a room and only has a limited amount of time for the park (and they've paid a lot of money for tickets), figuring out the logistics and spending EVEN more money for a fridge service...it just sounds frustrating. Not a fun way to spend your first day on vacation.

Especially when you book a year in advance and EXPECT a fridge at the rate you were quoted. I'd be a little mad if I showed up to my room and found a letter where the fridge should have been.

That would make me more angry than the stupid mug policy.

tinkwest
07-12-2013, 02:39 PM
... My problem with this situation is certainly not Disney's response to a safety issue- No one wants a fire at a resort. I think it stinks not being notified prior to arrival (I think a simple letter to those with reservations is warranted) ....

I agree that this would be the courteous thing to do.

Strmchsr
07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
I agree that this would be the courteous thing to do.

:ditto: That's my only issue with the whole thing.

AvonleaCF
07-12-2013, 05:10 PM
The more I think about it, the more angry I get. I can't just go and get a cooler; I'm flying into MCO and using ME. I planned my trip around having a fridge in the room for breakfast each day. I can't keep juice and cream cheese in an ice bucket, and I will NOT eat donuts and Pop-Tarts and granola bars for 7 days. It's really frustrating.

Scorpiosammy
07-13-2013, 04:50 PM
The issue is that even medical fridges will be in very short supply. I understand the problem. My son is a diabetic and has to keep his insulin refrigerated. My CM friend said they're not sure how many they'll have available for medical purposes and if they're gone, they're gone. No guarantees. However, he did say as an absolute last resort (and I realize this is an inconvenience) guests with medical issues could leave their medication in the big fridge at bag services. It's not ideal, but at least provides a solution.

Thanks for the feedback guys and understanding :)

It would be nice to know ahead of time if there was or was not going to be one in the room so we could either go ahead and cancel or get a cooler plan so we arent scrambling around Orlando if that will work ;)

smallworld
07-13-2013, 06:21 PM
We have a vacation planned for late Aug. at BC, and we were counting on having a fridge. We aren't doing the dining plan and wanted to have the ability to make simple, quick meals in the room. I'm talking cereal, bagels with cream cheese, cheese sandwich, etc. It's pretty surprising and very disappointing to me that I'm learning about this from Disney fan sites rather than in an email from Disney.

hauntedmansiongirl
07-14-2013, 06:52 AM
In April at POR our fridge really sucked! It wouldn't even keep anything a little cool and soured our milk within hours. We had maintenance come 3 times- 3 times we were told "these aren't fridges, you know- they're just coolers." We ended using our car cooler with a 110V adapter. After 4 days it iced up and needed to thaw. But at least the milk didn't spoil. It would be great if the rooms got real, working fridges!

JerseyDad
07-14-2013, 08:16 AM
In April at POR our fridge really sucked! It wouldn't even keep anything a little cool and soured our milk within hours. We had maintenance come 3 times- 3 times we were told "these aren't fridges, you know- they're just coolers." We ended using our car cooler with a 110V adapter. After 4 days it iced up and needed to thaw. But at least the milk didn't spoil. It would be great if the rooms got real, working fridges!

......that was almost word for word the same thing that the woman at the concierge desk told me last August when we were at POP ...."They really aren't refrigerators .....it's more like a cooler". It took almost 2 whole days for it to cool down to a point where soda would be 'cool' ......but there was no way I was putting any type of food in there that could spoil.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-14-2013, 09:31 AM
After reading this thread here are my thoughts. Some big wig at the Disney hotels cut costs and had coolers installed. This person then got bonus/promotion for being so clever. Now all they can say is opps:nono:. This will cost the company a small fortune.
Most of us with any since could see this was a disaster in the making. But this is the way businesses are run these days, cut costs now don't worry about the future. It is the sad state of American business. Instead of paying for something that would have lasted years, they saved money right now and saved the bottom line. Only life doesn't work like that. As my Father used to say they are now "throwing good money after bad". getting off my :soapbox: now.

Tink1
07-14-2013, 09:53 AM
In the days prior to all rooms having refrigerators, I would pack a soft sided cooler in the bottom of one of the kids suitcases. (It was one of those that folded kind of flat) Brought Ziploc bags to fill with ice to keep in there and it kept milk, beer etc cold.

There was also more than one time that the bag ended up checked as luggage to haul home stuff we bought. LOL

It you have medications to keep cold, you can use a smaller lunch bag type that would pack even easier

Nanc

garymacd
08-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Secondly, the whole energy efficiency / savings attempt by Disney, by using these coolers ...is a FAILURE. They give off a huge amount of heat ...and in doing so ....make the A/C in the rooms work that much harder to keep the room cool. And I know for a fact that the A/C cost more to run than the coolers ....or a real mini-fridge. So ...where's the savings?

Think of the heating savings in winter with a fridge giving off more heat than the heater!

JerseyDad
08-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Think of the heating savings in winter with a fridge giving off more heat than the heater!

....it seriously frightens me that you thought about that ....do you work for Disney? :rotfl:

Strmchsr
08-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Update from Wendy at Magical Journeys:

Here is the Latest Update on the Refrigerator issues!

Remember...we are talking Disney so everything is subject to change! (things change with them like teenage girls change outfits)

Refrigerators should be replaced in all resorts by end of September...again this is Disney and speedy is not their middle name so it could take longer!

Deluxe and Vacation Club resorts were not affected after all. Neither were All Star Movies or Port Orleans French Quarter or Family Suites at the Art of Animation.

Here is the list of resorts that were affected:

Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Music
and Little Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation (not family suites)

Moderate:
Cariibean Beach, Coronado Springs and Port Orleans Riverside

As soon as more details come up, I will post another update

AvonleaCF
08-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Deluxe and Vacation Club resorts were not affected after all.

:party2::woohoo::joy::tuba::cheer::donald:

So relieved/happy right now. Wishing on pixie dust works after all. :)

As to everyone affected and wanting/needing a fridge: I hope, hope, hope something works out for you while you're there!!!!

#1donaldfan
08-12-2013, 01:46 PM
I just returned and stayed the initial night at Sports and the remainder at AKL....they both had them, the old ones, so nothing's changed from what I was able to see !!!! :mickey:

AvonleaCF
08-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Received a letter from Disney today about the fridges and how they're not working. Does that mean I shouldn't expect one after all? :(

iceicebritney
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Checking into yacht and beach club next week, just received a letter today letting me know that our room will not have a refridgerator.

Is this an automatically generated letter because I've been reading on here that deluxe resorts are not affected... It's not a big deal but I just need to know what to plan for our grocery delivery!:confused:

Any input is greatly appreciated!

VWL Mom
08-21-2013, 08:50 PM
I got the same letter today. It must have been sent to everyone holding a reservation because I'm staying in a 1 bdrm villa and those don't have a problem.

ISLE39
08-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I got the same letter but i called because i have a 2 yr old in the room and need cold milk. They told me they expected the carribean beach to be done by my check indate of 9/23 they said if not i will have one

Scar
08-22-2013, 07:18 AM
... I've been reading on here that deluxe resort rooms are not affected... I recall reading that it is DVC resort rooms that are not affected. I believe regular deluxe rooms have the same fridges as all other non DVC rooms.

Strmchsr
08-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I recall reading that it is DVC resort rooms that are not affected. I believe regular deluxe rooms have the same fridges as all other non DVC rooms.

The information released most recently was that "most" deluxe rooms were not impacted.

I would suggest calling and double-checking on this since you need to know for grocery delivery.

brownie
08-22-2013, 08:31 AM
My boss stayed at All-Star Music last week. The fridge had not been replaced. The existing one was powered down and had a sign on it about not being able to use it.

AvonleaCF
08-22-2013, 08:59 AM
I just called the number on the letter and was told all Beach Club rooms have received their new fridges. She didn't mention whether they're up and running though.

Disney5+2
08-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Had a split stay at POR and yC last week. Unplugged refrigerators at POR. Working refrigerators in all 5 room as at YC. Hope that helps.

iceicebritney
08-23-2013, 10:57 PM
Just called and was told all fridges at yacht and beach have been removed:confused: I don't understand how they tell me this but told previous callers from posts above differently?

Has anyone been there recently and can speak to this? I cannot get a clear answer!

iluvcarolina
08-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I just called the Contemporary, and she confirmed all of the refrigerators have been replaced there.