PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Captain EO To Depart/Imagination Closing

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2013, 07:50 PM
Looks like Imagination is getting a major refurbishment, and I mean major... The ride is rumored to close all of 2014... What the plan is, no word.. But look for Captain EO to be retired once again during this time...

Let the speculation begin...

Aurora
07-09-2013, 07:56 PM
I know people love to hate the Imagination ride, and there is never a line for it, but it's been two of my three kids' favorite over the years. I'm glad I got a video of it last time. :figment:

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Given the history of the attraction, I would say there is great reason to fear when Disney decides to work on it. While it needs some love (and imagination), Disney has a bad track record with it. Whatever they do, I would really like to see Figment retained.

Scar
07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
... But look for Captain EO to be retired once again during this time...Hmmm... Need to find a new place to nap...

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Hmmm... Need to find a new place to nap...
Ellen's Energy Adventure... LOL

Ian
07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I know it's incredibly unlikely and I'm sure to be mocked for even suggesting it, but man would I love it if they brought the original back.

Before you laugh completely, remember they did essentially that with the Tiki Room. :D

Patricia
07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm with Ian. I really liked the original version and would love to see it returned.

Maggie T
07-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Love if they bring back the original Figment. Ellen needs rehab, do enjoy it if only to rest. Hope they do it right.

wildernesslady
07-09-2013, 09:33 PM
I know it's incredibly unlikely and I'm sure to be mocked for even suggesting it, but man would I love it if they brought the original back.

Before you laugh completely, remember they did essentially that with the Tiki Room. :D

I completely agree. We loved the original.

Fangorn
07-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm pretty much good with anything that would bring back some real "imagination" to the place.

So as long as we're just speculating...

Since Kermit and the gang are apparently being evicted from Muppet Theatre, how about having them take up residence in the Imagination Pavilion, find and adopt into the family a certain purple dragon. Seems to me there's a lot of potential for some pretty imaginative stuff in this scenario. A ride, re-open the old (updated and re-themed) play area, and there's even a theater for a new Muppet 3D show!

Oh, and the Working Title is:
Muppets Take Epcot

Any other ideas?

Steve

BigB
07-09-2013, 09:51 PM
I was so upset that they changed Figment!! The first time I rode it after the update I was so mad. I was cursing and complaining the entire ride, in my head. I hope it reverts back to the original or at least close to it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Muppets Take Epcot

:thumbsup:

DD LOVES Figment ... so she'll be heartbroken. And since she never knew the "original", this will be sad for her.

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2013, 10:07 PM

I vote for you to take the creative lead in Epcot...

brownie
07-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Ian, this is one of your better ideas. Although, I'm all for anything that helps get rid of Captain EO.

mickeyman42
07-10-2013, 06:15 AM
I would vote for either a return to the original or update it with a Phineas and Ferb theme. anyone who has seen the show would know that the boys are always building things, using their imagination, and basically showing kids that they can do/build/invent anything they can think up. I think it would be a great transition.......or they could turn it into a gift shop :mickey:

Dulcee
07-10-2013, 08:44 AM
Interesting... I miss the old Figment and I like the new Imagination ride. They could certainly do with something bigger and better there though. Curious to see how this one goes.

Silvertip309
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
I've been hoping for a return to the original for years! I'm sure a lot of you remember the rumors about 5-6 years ago of a return of The Dreamfinder and the original pavilion.
I'm also one who feels cautiously optimistic after seeing the return of The Enchanted Tiki Room.

Katzateer
07-10-2013, 09:51 AM

I was thinking they should bring the original back also. Not a fan of the show now.

EPCOT future world needs some sponsors that would be willing to put imagination and $$$ to make special attractions. From what I hear, some of the attractions and shows are amazing at other Disney parks in other countries. Disney needs to upgrade EPCOT. I love World Showcase but FW is mainly a walk- through for me.

clausjo
07-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Any idea on when Imagination will be closing? This is my daughter's favorite ride and she likes to ride with my mom. Mom's in a wheelchair and can't transfer so she's limited on what she can ride on. This is kind of their thing and I'd love for them to ride at least once more. We'll be there the first weekend in November for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. Think it will still be open?

bruin1344
07-10-2013, 01:13 PM
I will miss Dr. Nigel Channing

DizneyFreak2002
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Any idea on when Imagination will be closing? This is my daughter's favorite ride and she likes to ride with my mom. Mom's in a wheelchair and can't transfer so she's limited on what she can ride on. This is kind of their thing and I'd love for them to ride at least once more. We'll be there the first weekend in November for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. Think it will still be open?
Only time frame I have seen quoted is winter... Someone said November, another said after the holiday rush... Right now, I would say no confirmation as to when the pavilion is closing...

Goofy4TheWorld
07-10-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm also one who feels cautiously optimistic after seeing the return of The Enchanted Tiki Room.

That wasn't Disney magic, it was dumb luck. The building has to be gutted after catching on fire, otherwise Iago would still be a regular at The Enchanted Tiki Room.

MNNHFLTX
07-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Not mocking you at all. Think of it--the basic concept of the original ride (love Dreamfinder), but updated with newer technology. Could be some really great effects there. Plus it would keep the ever-popular Figment in the attraction. :thumbsup:

AgentC
07-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Not mocking you at all. Think of it--the basic concept of the original ride (love Dreamfinder), but updated with newer technology. Could be some really great effects there. Plus it would keep the ever-popular Figment in the attraction. :thumbsup:

:ditto: I still miss the Dreamfinder.

Gator
07-11-2013, 12:33 AM
I hope that it's not a complete return to the original. I've only seen it on youtube, and I don't see what everyone loved about it. But then again, a bunch of people wanted the original TikiRoom back, and I didn't get that at all. That attraction is booooorrriiiinnggg. I hope they don't do the same to Imagination. My kids love Figment.

As for Eo, why they ever brought it back is a mystery to me. Outdated and uninteresting. Here's hoping for a very cool effects 3D with mass appeal. Or singular appeal....like Tron!

mcjaco
07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
^ For one, the original was twice as long (and the ride track is still in place). It had show elements, and incredible effects for it's time, and told a much more descriptive story. The latest version is a really cheapened, shorter version of the original.

If the rumor is true, and we've heard this one on and off for years, all I hope is that they figure out how to reinvent the labs, and put them back upstairs. Some of the best views of FW are up there.

waymickey
07-11-2013, 09:39 AM
I would love for them to reopen the upstairs Imagination playground. They can update it and add cool new stations. I loved the feel of being up there and the lighting was awesome.

As for updating the ride I would hope they kept Figment. I love Figment. One of a kind only place to see him cool little purple dino. I also would not mind Phineas and Ferb joining Figment, but Perry might. lol

Captain EO- Never a fan glad to see it go.

DizneyFreak2002
07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
More than likely, upstairs will not be returning...

IamBelle
07-11-2013, 10:14 AM
I really hope they keep Figment, it is a tradition in my family every time we go to WDW! With the refurb, I hope they find use for the rainbow tunnel...I saw on youtube that it is still upstairs in the Imagination pavilion!

mcjaco
07-11-2013, 10:39 AM
More than likely, upstairs will not be returning...

Stupid fire safety requirements. :P

azcavalier
07-11-2013, 02:16 PM
I roll my eyes at the current ride, and I never saw the previous version. But my two DD's, and my DW love this ride. They'll be sad to see it changed.

I'd be surprised if they got rid of Figment. His merchandise sells.

1DisneyNut
07-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Whatever they plan is, I hope they do not let the guy who designed The Three Cabaleros, Nemo, and the new Under the Sea ride in Fantasy land do the design work. Those are by far the worst new attractions and some of the worst in the parks period. We were so completely disappointed with Under the Sea. We all felt like we had already ridden it before because it is so similar to Nemo. The projection screens just aren't very exciting for us. You know they are bad rides when you can walk straight on them any time of the day during the peak summer season.

Main Street Jim
07-11-2013, 10:28 PM

Before you laugh completely, remember they did essentially that with the Tiki Room. :DThey kind of *had to* with the Tiki Room, what with Iago *exploding* and everything; they HAD to go "back to the old show". The "New Management" should would NOT have made any sense without Iago yelling and screaming.

With JiYI, the original load turntable is/was *soooo* out of whack (off-balance, won't sync up with the ride vehicles, etc.), I'm not even sure the turntable is still even there. You walk right across it coming through the current queue. They also removed about 2/3rds of the original ride's length and physical track for the "new" version.

I *HOPE* and pray that Figment stays. He's an EPCOT original :)

Silvertip309
07-11-2013, 11:27 PM
This is the first I've heard about the upstairs Imageworks being any kind of a hazard, why would it be unlikely for it to return?

DisneyGiant
07-12-2013, 09:56 AM

But what about SCIENCE, echo, SCIENCE, echo, SCIENCE......

My favorite line in the original. Thankfully, I have the audio recording of the soundtrack!!!

DisneyGiant
07-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh I just remembered - as a Kodak employee (I worked there in 2002) - I got to go into the VIP lounge next to Captain EO (was Honey I Shrunk the Audience at that time).

It was losing its lustre then, but you could see at one time it was swanky. They had photos in notebooks of MJ at the opening of Captain EO, free drinks and a nice place to rest during the pre-show.

You went down the back steps 5 minutes before the door opened to the show - so it was nice to skip the line (at the time that show was popular).

Supposedly, all the other pavilions have VIP sections too.

I wonder during all these rehabs, if the VIP areas remain?

Mrs Bus Driver
07-12-2013, 10:11 AM
They kind of *had to* with the Tiki Room, what with Iago *exploding* and everything; they HAD to go "back to the old show". The "New Management" should would NOT have made any sense without Iago yelling and screaming.

Can someone please explain this, first I've heard of it. :confused:

DizneyFreak2002
07-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Can someone please explain this, first I've heard of it. :confused:
There was a fire and Iago got fried... So, instead of creating more Iago AAs, they reverted to the original Tropical Serenade minus a few of the original song sets...

Ian
07-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I hope they don't do the same to Imagination. My kids love Figment.Well Figment was an integral part of the original, sooooooooooooooooooo .....

Mrs Bus Driver
07-12-2013, 10:52 AM
There was a fire and Iago got fried... So, instead of creating more Iago AAs, they reverted to the original Tropical Serenade minus a few of the original song sets...

So the tiki gods took their revenge :thedolls:

sportsguy2315
07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Oh I just remembered - as a Kodak employee (I worked there in 2002) - I got to go into the VIP lounge next to Captain EO (was Honey I Shrunk the Audience at that time).

It was losing its lustre then, but you could see at one time it was swanky. They had photos in notebooks of MJ at the opening of Captain EO, free drinks and a nice place to rest during the pre-show.

You went down the back steps 5 minutes before the door opened to the show - so it was nice to skip the line (at the time that show was popular).

Supposedly, all the other pavilions have VIP sections too.

I wonder during all these rehabs, if the VIP areas remain?

As a former Epcot CM, yes and no. For instance, I would walk by Test Track most days and past the backstage door for the lounge for GM people where I would occasionally see people file in and out of there. Others, such as the Seas haven't been used in years.

Silvertip309
07-12-2013, 10:11 PM
The VIP lounge for The Seas is constantly in use for private functions, weddings, meetings, and the like. It has a great and rarely seen view if the aquarium

MNNHFLTX
07-12-2013, 10:43 PM
The VIP lounge for The Seas is constantly in use for private functions, weddings, meetings, and the like. It has a great and rarely seen view if the aquarium

It was, in fact, used by INTERCOT for the breakfast meet during our 15th anniversary get-together last October. It was very nice indeed.

DigitalDaredevil
07-13-2013, 02:48 AM
I hope that it is a long dark ride with something to learn. Something like Horizons or World Of Motion. Too many short cuts and cheap looking attractions. We have enough thrills. How about something where you are learning but don't realize it?

Tekneek
07-13-2013, 08:44 AM
I hope that it is a long dark ride with something to learn. Something like Horizons or World Of Motion. Too many short cuts and cheap looking attractions. We have enough thrills. How about something where you are learning but don't realize it?

Apparently nobody wants that anymore. They want style over substance. Epcot is so generic these days.

WDWParrothead
07-13-2013, 08:54 AM
.......or they could turn it into a gift shop :mickey:

...or another Starbucks

DizneyFreak2002
07-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Apparently, Tony Baxter has been "consulting" a tad bit on this project... Following the project along through the stages of development... Someone online mentioned Figment will still be a part of the attraction, how big of a part he didn't know...

tigmickey
07-14-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm pretty much good with anything that would bring back some real "imagination" to the place.

So as long as we're just speculating...

Since Kermit and the gang are apparently being evicted from Muppet Theatre, how about having them take up residence in the Imagination Pavilion, find and adopt into the family a certain purple dragon. Seems to me there's a lot of potential for some pretty imaginative stuff in this scenario. A ride, re-open the old (updated and re-themed) play area, and there's even a theater for a new Muppet 3D show!

Oh, and the Working Title is:
Muppets Take Epcot

Any other ideas?

Steve

:thumbsup:I love this idea!!! :thumbsup:

kbean
07-17-2013, 12:32 PM
If they're not going to restore to original and re open the upstairs with the tunnel, Then I say get rid of it. They already got rid of the two best rides there, Horizons and WOM. Why not go for three?

Stu29573
07-17-2013, 12:40 PM
You know, I cant help but feel that WDI lost focus on Epcot at about the same time they lost it for the Studios. What they seem to be missing is a overall consistant vision. Now they just plunk attractions down that they think people will like, with very little regard for message. People always flame folks who bring up the "What would Walt do?" idea, but at least that preserved focus. Walt Disney World has become Disneyland's ADD little brother.
Rant over.

JPL
07-17-2013, 01:31 PM
I just hope they include Figment in the new ride. I do like Ian's idea of bringin back the Original Version with some updated technology of course :mickey:

Cheshire_Girl
07-17-2013, 02:36 PM
I didn't find my love for WDW until a few years ago, so I missed all the rides at Epcot that everyone says were the "best"...I hated Figment when I first saw him, and now...I love him. I like the current JiYi-because it is the only Imagination ride I have ever known-I will miss it as it is-but as long as Figment is around and they do it bigger and better-then I say go for it!!
As for Captain EO-the one time I had to sit through it I found myself seriously considering if I could get the locking back off one of the pins on my bag so I could punture my own retina...Be Gone with it I say!

Patricia
07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I hope that it's not a complete return to the original. I've only seen it on youtube, and I don't see what everyone loved about it.

I really don't think the Youtube videos do it any justice. You can't see most of it because of low lighting. The original had far more detail and imagination than the current one does. If brought back with new technology it would be amazing.

I can't help but smile very time I see Dreamfinder's flying machine in Mouse Gear.

Ian
07-19-2013, 09:33 PM
You know, I cant help but feel that WDI lost focus on Epcot at about the same time they lost it for the Studios. What they seem to be missing is a overall consistant vision. Now they just plunk attractions down that they think people will like, with very little regard for message. People always flame folks who bring up the "What would Walt do?" idea, but at least that preserved focus. Walt Disney World has become Disneyland's ADD little brother.
Rant over.Yes. This! :thumbsup:

Arielfan98
07-19-2013, 10:07 PM
This may be horrible to say but although my entire life I have ever witnessed the new version with Figment I do not like the attraction very much. Some parts certainly surprised me as a little kid and I would love to see something new there.

Aurora
07-20-2013, 12:05 AM
I really don't think the Youtube videos do it any justice. You can't see most of it because of low lighting. The original had far more detail and imagination than the current one does. If brought back with new technology it would be amazing.

I can't help but smile very time I see Dreamfinder's flying machine in Mouse Gear.

About to stick my neck out here -- I liked the original fine; didn't love it, didn't hate it. But the beginning, with Dreamfinder in his flying machine talking ... and talking ... and incessantly talking, was one of the most deadly dull parts of any attraction in WDW for me. I couldn't WAIT for that part to be over. I found myself turning sideways and trying to figure out how many times the exit doors would pass by.

I managed not to experience the second incarnation of the ride, so I can't comment on that, but I do enjoy the current one more than the original. I figure I'm in the minority. ;)

DizneyRox
07-20-2013, 12:44 PM
You know, I cant help but feel that WDI lost focus on Epcot at about the same time they lost it for the Studios. What they seem to be missing is a overall consistant vision.
On this I will say it's not WDI. WDI is a "consultant" hired by the parks to develop attactions. They can only do what they can with what they are given (time and money). In WDW's case, they don't give much and always tend to trim the budget as the project progresses.

Blame for Epcot and MGM lies 100% with WDWs management, not Burbank (unless you blame them for allowing this to continue to happen).

kakn7294
07-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Oh no! If this is true, we'll NEVER break the record! DD18 and I ride Journey over and over (to the tune of 5 times in a row) while DH and DD13 go see Captain EO. We make it a goal to see how many times we can ride it while they see the show, always attempting to break that record.

Boost
07-21-2013, 05:46 PM
I also miss the original Imagination.

Since we are on the subject, I like Test Track, but I miss the post-show area showing all of the futuristic car designs that they had back during the World of Motion days.

It goes without saying that I miss Horizons tremendously as so many of you also miss it.

I agree that Ellen definitely needs attention.

I always enjoyed the educational aspects of Living Seas.

I understand that pavilion/attraction sponsors have opinions and obviously, all it takes is for a new "corporate direction" to change/destroy a childhood memory, but it would be nice if there would be a more democratic way to decide the fate of such decisions.

The Horned King
07-22-2013, 05:58 AM

I hope they do just that. Technology has improved drastically since then, so the massive rotating room with the dreamfinders airship might work!

And as much as people hate the current version of the pavillion it did have some small sparks of genius. Just as a whole the pavillion feels like it was rushed and done on the worlds smallest budget.

DizneyFreak2002
07-22-2013, 12:00 PM
I hope they do just that. Technology has improved drastically since then, so the massive rotating room with the dreamfinders airship might work!

And as much as people hate the current version of the pavillion it did have some small sparks of genius. Just as a whole the pavillion feels like it was rushed and done on the worlds smallest budget.

Someone told me the rotating room is now the queue? I don't know if that is true... They said there is probably no way that would ever return to the ride.. But the track is obviously there.. I see no reason they cannot add that in...

As for the current ride, yea it's ok, nothing great... Not better than the original, but better than the poor version before it... That version made me :ack:

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-22-2013, 08:44 PM

That would make us VERY happy!!!:D

The Horned King
07-23-2013, 05:40 AM
You are possibly right about the queue now taking the space where the rotating room was. I was only very young when I went on The original version, but looking at the current track layout, I am interested to know how much of the track they have actually changed over the years. If you think about the load area now that is one big curved piece of track. Who is to say that wasn't part of the original room. Let's face it. The cars haven't changed drastically over the years. How they behave? Yes. But appearance? No.

It would have made financial sense to recycle as much as possible during the Eisner years. I know most of the original image works is still upstairs in the glass pyramids. :(

Ian
07-23-2013, 09:25 AM
You are possibly right about the queue now taking the space where the rotating room was. I was only very young when I went on The original version, but looking at the current track layout, I am interested to know how much of the track they have actually changed over the years. If you think about the load area now that is one big curved piece of track. Who is to say that wasn't part of the original room. Let's face it. The cars haven't changed drastically over the years. How they behave? Yes. But appearance? No.

It would have made financial sense to recycle as much as possible during the Eisner years. I know most of the original image works is still upstairs in the glass pyramids. :(From my admittedly limited understanding of the situation, the existing track is still there in its entirety. The new attraction was just overlaid on top of the existing track.

The Horned King
07-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Saves time and money. Just reprogram the tire drive elements to determine when the cars stop and start.

I do hate it when Disney cut's corners. Buzz lightyears Lazer blast in paris still has the original suspended ceiling from the timekeeper preshow. Just put up hollow walls to form a queue line with some inkjet prints on them. The walls don't fully touch the ceiling in some places. I guess it's just the perfectionist in me that picks up on these things. :D

lvs_eeyore
07-24-2013, 04:52 AM
I too wish they would bring back the original Figment ride. Wonder if it would make a difference if we wrote to Disney?

mcjaco
07-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Someone told me the rotating room is now the queue? I don't know if that is true... They said there is probably no way that would ever return to the ride.. But the track is obviously there.. I see no reason they cannot add that in...

As for the current ride, yea it's ok, nothing great... Not better than the original, but better than the poor version before it... That version made me :ack:

The track layout is still primarily there, including the turntable. Here's a good diagram:

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/tag/journey-into-imagination

The Horned King
07-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the post mcjaco!

princessgirls
07-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Sigh...Another Epcot attraction biting the dust.

Hoping they bring something fresh, fun, and innovative in!

I agree, just seems like the park has no direction, except for the World Showcase.

Julie:mickey:

lvs_eeyore
07-24-2013, 11:57 AM
When is it supposed to close?

Melanie
07-24-2013, 12:02 PM

I'm seeing January 2, 2014.

DizneyFreak2002
07-24-2013, 12:07 PM
The track layout is still primarily there, including the turntable. Here's a good diagram:

http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/tag/journey-into-imagination
Thank you!

DizneyFreak2002
07-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Mel's date is probably right... After the holidays so January 2, 2014 is pretty much a good target date...

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
07-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Rumor is that it will close January 2, 2014

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
07-24-2013, 01:24 PM
If they don't bring back the original, Figment must remain. He is one of the "faces" of Epcot!

mcjaco
07-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Thank you!

No problem. Martin Smith has some good diagrams posted somewhere too....

That blog kept me busy all morning at work. :secret:

The Horned King
07-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Martin Smith has some good videos and tribute videos of old rides on youtube.

DizneyFreak2002
07-24-2013, 06:26 PM
No problem. Martin Smith has some good diagrams posted somewhere too....

That blog kept me busy all morning at work. :secret:

Martin's videos are the best... Downloaded a few myself... Dude is world class with his work... Oh, and he gets very good inside info too..

FriendsofMickey
07-24-2013, 11:23 PM
I am so happy I read this. I will make sure my girls ride this ride a few more times in September. My daughters LOVE< LOVE, LOVE Figment. In fact, my one actually wrote to Disney stating her disapointment that he is no longer a meet and great character (They saw him when they were 3, 4, and maybe 5 before they 'retired' him). She wrote to them just this past winter... and she is 10. She has me on a search for the 'perfect' painting of him...she hasn't found it yet.

Melanie
07-25-2013, 07:46 AM
I'm happy to hear this, although I hope it's not anything Phineas & Ferb related. Long live Figment!

GMRO
07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I'm happy to hear this, although I hope it's not anything Phineas & Ferb related. Long live Figment!

No love for Phineas & Ferb?

I'd hope somewhere in the parks they would do an attraction for them.

Shame they waited so long, they have been popular for a while now.

Crow
07-25-2013, 02:40 PM
they need to stick to originals and not something TV related in this case

TheVBs
07-25-2013, 04:15 PM
We love Figment and hope he comes back in some form. But, something new would be exciting too.

DizneyFreak2002
07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
In 10 years no one will know who Phineas and Ferb are... I think using them in Imagination would be a mistake... The ride will be outdated again in 2 years....

Just like all those rumors about Rock n Roller Coaster becoming Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers... Where are they now? Everyone has forgotten about Hannah Montana and Jonas Brothers... Yet, most people still know Aerosmith...

Phineas and Ferb will suffer the same fate... A few years, and people will be saying Phineas and Ferb who?

DizneyRox
07-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Phineas and Ferb will suffer the same fate... A few years, and people will be saying Phineas and Ferb who?
I'm wondering who they are right now...

mcjaco
07-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Martin's videos are the best... Downloaded a few myself... Dude is world class with his work... Oh, and he gets very good inside info too..

I'm always shocked at the amount of views my videos on Youtube get, and the feedback I receive. Amazing how many people out there like reliving the oldies! But Martin's stuff is top notch, and we've gone back and forth on many things, like the 180 scenes in SSE.

Does anyone even remember the first rendition of the Kim Possible stuff in EPCOT? It's been gone for only a few years, and I don't think anyone remembers!

If Figment stays, and he should, it'd be the best way to tie the old FW with the new one.....

OK, off to look at my Version 1 Figment plush, and daydream. :thumbsup:

lvs_eeyore
07-26-2013, 02:35 PM
There was Kim Possible stuff at Epcot? I remember the TV show but don't remember ever seeing anything at the parks.

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
There was Kim Possible stuff at Epcot? I remember the TV show but don't remember ever seeing anything at the parks.

Kim Possible was the theme of the interactive adventure game in World Showcase, the one which is now themed to Agent P from Phineas and Ferb.. Also, Kim Possible and Ron (was that her side kicks name???) did meet and greets at MGM/DHS for a short period of time... of course, this all happened AFTER Kim Possible's run in Disney Channel came to a fizzled halt, and long after the peak of Kim Possible's popularity..

If Phineas and Ferb wind up in Imagination, they await the same fate.. As their popularity dwindles, so will any care for the ride... And Imagination will wind up in the same situation it is in now... No crowds for a ride no one gives a hoot about...

DizneyFreak2002
07-26-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm always shocked at the amount of views my videos on Youtube get, and the feedback I receive. Amazing how many people out there like reliving the oldies! But Martin's stuff is top notch, and we've gone back and forth on many things, like the 180 scenes in SSE.

Does anyone even remember the first rendition of the Kim Possible stuff in EPCOT? It's been gone for only a few years, and I don't think anyone remembers!

If Figment stays, and he should, it'd be the best way to tie the old FW with the new one.....

OK, off to look at my Version 1 Figment plush, and daydream. :thumbsup:

Martin's stuff is unreal... and he is a nice guy... he converses on another site... Wish we could get him to come here.. He has a lot of insight to news and info...

What is our YouTube Channel? I would love to see your vids..

Melanie
07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Kim Possible at Epcot? Yes, very fresh in my mind still. It was a great addition.

Gator
07-26-2013, 11:13 PM
In 10 years no one will know who Phineas and Ferb are... I think using them in Imagination would be a mistake... The ride will be outdated again in 2 years....

I don't know. It wasn't until my 3rd trip that I figured out who Figment is. That's when I took my kids, and they love Figment. However, if P&F came along, they'd be pretty excited about that. Plus that show is stinking funny. They could really have some fun with that concept. Maybe they should put them in the 3D theater and dump the other junk that's been playing there for decades.

seanyred
07-27-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't know. It wasn't until my 3rd trip that I figured out who Figment is. That's when I took my kids, and they love Figment. However, if P&F came along, they'd be pretty excited about that. Plus that show is stinking funny. They could really have some fun with that concept. Maybe they should put them in the 3D theater and dump the other junk that's been playing there for decades.

I agree! I think some people are underestimating the quality and popularity of P&F. I think they will be around for a long time. They even have a full length movie coming out next year. I say give them a 3D movie and give figment a good ride to take the family on.

mcjaco
07-29-2013, 10:30 AM
What is our YouTube Channel? I would love to see your vids..

Look up mcjaco23, or Mabra Productions.

Not a lot up. I don't have time to convert most of my stuff yet.

I'm totally amazed that my Peter Pan vid has almost 70K views.

GMRO
07-29-2013, 11:16 AM

AGREED!

Funny, been to the parks for 18 years now...and I still have no clue who Figment is/was/or else. BUT I admit - I don't care either. Just not a fan to check it out. I won't even buy a shirt if he's on it and have never been on that attraction thingy for him as well.

BUT P&F - yes very funny and entertaining.

To each his or her own!

Stu29573
07-29-2013, 03:23 PM
AGREED!

Funny, been to the parks for 18 years now...and I still have no clue who Figment is/was/or else. BUT I admit - I don't care either. Just not a fan to check it out. I won't even buy a shirt if he's on it and have never been on that attraction thingy for him as well.

BUT P&F - yes very funny and entertaining.

To each his or her own!

See, if you reverse the names, thats the way I feel.I say keep Figment (in the original ride he made more sense) and bring back Dreamfinder....

Goofster
07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
The benefit of P&F is that it is already a popular Disney product and very little marketing would need to be done to move people to the ride unlike reintroducing Figment or a new character, etc. The downside is that P&F could easily disappear in a few years like other Disney Channel cartoons...or it could be around another 10-15 years like the Simpsons. Who knows!

Disney should probably just implode the whole thing and build something new from the ground up rather than trying to shoe horn something else into that attraction.

GoBlueLacheta
08-06-2013, 03:43 PM
That's a big building. They can re-imagine alot into that space and not even be stuck to the same ride system but keep some of the same building elements (see Test Track).

I vote for the muppets taking over as they really can easily adapt to an imagination concept and implementing figment into that setting wouldn't be all that big of stretch. You essential can have Ride/Play Area/3D movie all tied into one theme rather than having a forced connection.

Muppets also are multi-generational and have released movies over multiple decades. I think you don't want to risk dedicating a completely redone multi-faceted building/attractions to a cartoon that doesn't really fit the parameters of Epcot.

ANG
08-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Figment and the playground are my autistic son's FAVORITE things in the entire WDW. The sensory input he recieves is such a welcomed part of our trip. This is terrible news to me.

We have a trip late January 2014. How sad to miss it.

Ian
08-06-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm totally amazed that my Peter Pan vid has almost 70K views.69,999 of them are probably my three year old twins. They're absolutely obsessed with watching Disney ride videos on the YouTubes lol

PirateLover
08-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Hmmm...

At D23 Tony Baxter and Josh Shipley presented a video they did, which recreated the original Journey Into Imagination. They used old footage, pictures, and concept art against the original soundtrack. It's up on youtube.

...Hmmmm

ETA: Apparently Bob Iger made the statement at the Disney Legends presentation that Figment will never leave the parks.

Tekneek
08-11-2013, 11:25 AM
ETA: Apparently Bob Iger made the statement at the Disney Legends presentation that Figment will never leave the parks.

I hope that is true. Figment is proof that a character can be created for an attraction in a park and catch on with the masses. It doesn't have to be moved into the parks from existing movies or TV shows.

waymickey
08-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I asked a CM last week what kind of refurb was happening at figment and she said we had a meeting just this morning and nothing was happening. She said the whole thing was a rumor and they do not have any plans for any changes.
So who knows we will just have to wait and see. I like figment and hope he stays forever!

PirateLover
08-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Dreamfinder and Figment also did a meet and greet at D23. They sure are doing a lot of teasing if nothing is happening...

Ian
08-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Hmmm...

At D23 Tony Baxter and Josh Shipley presented a video they did, which recreated the original Journey Into Imagination. They used old footage, pictures, and concept art against the original soundtrack. It's up on youtube.

...Hmmmm

ETA: Apparently Bob Iger made the statement at the Disney Legends presentation that Figment will never leave the parks.If that's the case, maybe my wish wasn't so far out there after all. :secret:

PirateLover
08-11-2013, 05:41 PM
If that's the case, maybe my wish wasn't so far out there after all. :secret:

:thumbsup: Put another chalk mark on the board for INTERCOT Consulting!

mcjaco
08-14-2013, 12:00 PM
I asked a CM last week what kind of refurb was happening at figment and she said we had a meeting just this morning and nothing was happening. She said the whole thing was a rumor and they do not have any plans for any changes.
So who knows we will just have to wait and see. I like figment and hope he stays forever!

Yep...those CMs, they're always in the "know."

DizneyFreak2002
08-14-2013, 08:10 PM
First mistake is listening to a CM.. They honestly know nothing more than the general public...

As for Dreamfinder, bring him out at a D23 convention, watch the fanboys drool in excitement... Then, um, add him back into the ride when it shuts down for an extra long refurbishment in 2014??? Me thinks.. Possibly.... Ian will be thrilled...

Jared
08-16-2013, 11:25 AM
First mistake is listening to a CM.. They honestly know nothing more than the general public...
Yep. The refurb is happening. Don't even bother talking to the front-line cast about what's going on. They have no idea.

DizneyFreak2002
08-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Yep. The refurb is happening. Don't even bother talking to the front-line cast about what's going on. They have no idea.

Their pay grade isn't high enough... Strictly a need to know basis.. In other words, they will know when they have to pick assignments in other areas of the park because Imagination will be shut...