PDA

View Full Version : best time of year for childern with SN

strongbus
07-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Hello all. Little back story info. I have 3 kids, 2 with SN. I have a stepson with adhd/odd and a older boy with adhd/add/autism I also have a little girl with no SN issues. 2 of the kids live with my ex wife.

A few years back me and my current wife went to Disney with the stepson and had a great time. We went the 1st week of March.

We wish to go again but this time take all 3 kids. My ex has no issues with me taking the other 2 but we can't agree on the best time to do it. I think it should be during the winter time between Feb school break and April break. Last time we went it was not very busy so the lines where not that long and it was not to hot for us.(We all live in Maine).

My ex thinks it should be during the summer as 1. my oldest son has issues getting back into the swing of things after a school break and 2. I was honest to her and told her the chance of me getting a school break off are slim to none.(my job gives single parents and collage students 1st dips on school breaks) and my ex doesn't think that going to Disney is a good reason to miss school for a week.

I am trying to find info on when is the best time of year for trips to Disney to share with my ex so that we can sit down and select the best time of the year to do this.

Mickey'sGirl
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
AS hot as summertime can be, I agree with your ex. It allows for adjustment time for your child.

We also like the summer best, because of the longer park hours. This allows us to go for awhile in the morning when it is cool, take a break back at our resort for a swim/nap/whatever in the afternoon, then return to the parks in the evening when it is cooler again.

I don't know how old your children are, but the missing school thing might be an issue if they are older children.

Good luck with your planning, and Welcome to Intercot !!

mejsimon
07-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Our son with special needs (autism/asperger type) has issues with heat so I prefer non-summer months personally (as does he). We have gone the week of Christmas and it was beautiful for all the lights and events but crazy busy. We did have Guest Assistance Card-thankfully-which really really helped. I hate crowds. Now that we homeschool we can go off season and we are going in early December for all the lights a fewer crowds. If you can 'skip out' prior to Christmas-say a few days ahead of the masses that would be perfect. Extends their winter break, beat the heat and miss most of the crowds.
Make sure you take breaks and if you stay onsite USE the extra magic hours.
We all went through Splash Mountain like 10 times one evening! If you don't and do go around Christmas check out Mickey's Merry Christmas Party, same kind of deal except you don't have to stay onsite.
Just my thoughts as I guess both my son and I hate heat and crowds. :mickey:
Check out the Passport book for special needs, it was helpful for my DS and my DH who has heart issues.

Good luck. I know it can be hard.
We are only staying offsite due to the fact my DS is a very picky eater and we have seperate bedrooms.