PDA

View Full Version : New Refillable Mug Program

Strmchsr
07-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Well, we knew they WDW wasn't going to just stick with the old refillable mug program (too much abuse) but their original RFID trial was a bust. It's now been announced that beginning this month at the All-Star Resorts a new "tiered" refillable mug program is rolling out called Rapid Fill. This will be at all resorts ASAP.

Basically Rapid Fill will use RFID to allow guests to select a time-frame for their mugs instead of a "length-of-stay" only option as has been the case. At the end of the period, the mug deactivate. You can use the mug at any resort quick service fountain, not just your home resort. Not sure about in the parks but there was no mention of using them in the parks.

Here's the pricing (and a "day" is a calendar day not a 24 hour period so if you arrive late in the day you'd be better to wait until the next morning to purchase): $8.99 for 1 day, $11.99 for 2, $14.99 for 3, and length of stay is $17.99.

This will still be included in some Disney Dining Plans. You will not be able to use any previous mugs or outside mugs for this. You'll have to get a new mug each visit. There will be an LCD screen on the dispensers that show you how many days are remaining on your mug.

VWL Mom
07-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Not a fan at all. Tiered or not at the end of the day they're just increasing the price $3 per mug for length of stay. Since we use ours for coffee only I don't see anymore mugs in our future unless they're a great design.

Melanie
07-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Not a fan at all. Tiered or not at the end of the day they're just increasing the price $3 per mug for length of stay. Since we use ours for coffee only I don't see anymore mugs in our future unless they're a great design.

Agreed, Lynn! Wow, that length of stay $ is crazy. The only plus to the new system is that you can use it at all the resorts. And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?

Mendelson
07-08-2013, 09:13 AM
I don't drink soda, nor do I drink the coffee at WDW and thus don't buy these, but the $18 doesn't seem too bad to me.

I assume if you buy this thing you are the kind of person who uses it a lot. If one stays for five days (is that about the average?) then maybe you fill that thing up five times a day for 25 beverages? That's not a bad per-drink price, right? Plus you get a mug to take home with you.

Melanie
07-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Considering it's been in the $13-14 range the last few years, I think that's a big jump. And to be honest, for example if I'm at my favorite resort, CSR, in the Ranchos section, it IS a long haul over to El Centro just for a refill. Especially with how small the mug's capacity has gotten. Maybe the new mugs will be slightly larger?

MNNHFLTX
07-08-2013, 09:21 AM
All I can say is--leave it to Disney World to even further complicate an already muddled system. :shake:

Ms. Mode
07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Our reservation has the free refillable mug thing listed, does that mean they give us the mug and we purchase the refills? Never had this before. :blush:

PopPhan
07-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I really do not get all the negativity here.

For those with shorter stays, the mugs become cheaper, and with longer stays, the price is reasonable. Not cheap, but compared to buying individual drinks at $1.99 (??) per drink, it is a deal. AND, now you will be able to "legally" fill up at ANY resort, rather than only at the resort in which you are staying. (Yes, I know that with the 'one design fits all' mugs over the past 8+ years, there was nothing to stop you from doing that anyway.)

Also, most dining plans will still get the mugs as part of the plan. (All for now, but phasing out the mugs for the QSDP.)

I think that this is a good way to cut down on the abuse of the system. It won't stop some people from trying (and possibly find a way to succeed) though. On my last trip, I saw way too many people bringing their 32oz travel mugs from their home convenience store or empty bottles/cups/etc. or old Length-of-Stay mugs to fill up to "save money."

If this doesn't work, they could, and very possibly would, remove ALL the refill stations and force you to purchase every drink.

PopPhan
07-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Our reservation has the free refillable mug thing listed, does that mean they give us the mug and we purchase the refills? Never had this before. :blush:

If you are on a dining plan, the mug is included with free refills for your length of stay. You will NOT have to purchase refills.

sorcerer fan
07-08-2013, 09:44 AM
bummer, I'm one of the cheapies that still uses the mug I got way back when in 1995, when I was told and it has worked , that it would be free forever. there's no expiration day on it. I guess I made out on that so If I have to pay, I'm ahead so far!

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I would love it if they would include the Parks in it too ... but I know that will most likely never happen (or only at a much higher price).

We've had the mug on a lot of trips, and not on some ... and it really didn't make a difference. It was just as cheap to grab a case of water and some pop from Walmart and have it in the room.

TheDuckRocks
07-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Another site currently has the price of a single soda fountain drink from the beverage machine at the resorts at $2.59. The cost of the refillable mug is listed as $15.49 now. I think a jump of $2.50 for the new mug is a bit high.

Melanie
07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
All I can say is--leave it to Disney World to even further complicate an already muddled system. :shake:

You got that right! :yes:

Mendelson
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
On the Disney blog regarding this announcement a commenter who is on the Disney finance team talked about this in terms of theft and how theft has been on the rise in food courts. Not just in terms of beverages (probably a negligible loss) but in terms of more theft of food court food. That's pretty slimy.

Could you imagine the embarrassment in front of your kids if WDW security nabbed you for lifting a sandwich??

Strmchsr
07-08-2013, 10:51 AM
And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?

My understanding is that was done away with. That was one of the big flops from the original test so it won't be an issue this go round.

WishingStar2006
07-08-2013, 11:18 AM
This, IMHO, is totally outlandish. WDW gets all of their fountain drinks for free from the Coca Cola company....that's right FREE. No cost...nada! They talk about food court theft...what about the theft of your mugs now....because they now will have valueduring your stay...you won't be able to leave them unattended while in the pool or enjoying another activity for fear of loss...then what....are they gonna believe it was stolen and issue you another?

And lastly, we all know that technology isn't always reliable. Can you imagine the chaos at at refill station if the "reader" is on the fritz? OMG....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disney World but isn't this just a little too much...really?

Thanks for letting me vent...:mickey:

Mousemates
07-08-2013, 12:01 PM
I would love it if they would include the Parks in it too ... but I know that will most likely never happen (or only at a much higher price).

I'm sure your probably right about the higher price thing...but unless I am already hauling a backpack/diaperbag/etc ...carrying a drink mug around all day through the parks would be too much of a hassle to me...and thus subsequently have little impact on my drink mug purchase decisions.

brownie
07-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Wow, I think that increase is a little steep. It may be alright if you get it as part of your dining plan or have an extended stay.

Ms. Mode
07-08-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm sure your probably right about the higher price thing...but unless I am already hauling a backpack/diaperbag/etc ...carrying a drink mug around all day through the parks would be too much of a hassle to me...and thus subsequently have little impact on my drink mug purchase decisions.

Ditto on this! We only purchased a mug on our first trip so my DH could get coffee of a morning; we never want to carry ANYTHING into the parks and I never wanted to try to keep track of a mug.

hoop de do
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Anything for guests with an AP?

Strmchsr
07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Anything for guests with an AP?

It'll be the same as regular guests. It'll still be tied to a certain number of days and only good for that specific trip.

Dopey's Girl
07-08-2013, 01:30 PM
I guess I'm not at all surprised about this. After the All Star test of the last program, you knew they weren't just going to scrap the idea. We all know they need to soak us for as much money as possible.

I'm glad they have a somewhat reasonable way to keep people from filling up their 7-11 cups (saw it last trip) and their trip from Dixie Landings in 1998, but the price isn't worth it too me. I drink very little pop (soda) and the food court coffee is :sick:, so I won't be participating.

Maleficent's Dad
07-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Agreed, Lynn! Wow, that length of stay $ is crazy. The only plus to the new system is that you can use it at all the resorts. And I'm hoping they did away with only being able to get one refill in a certain time period that they was in the original test?

My understanding is that was done away with. That was one of the big flops from the original test so it won't be an issue this go round.
Under the new program, there will be four 20 oz refills allowed per hour.

Yesterday, I posted a lot of the details of the new program in this thread. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=199536&page=3)

MNNHFLTX
07-08-2013, 01:53 PM
This, IMHO, is totally outlandish. WDW gets all of their fountain drinks for free from the Coca Cola company....that's right FREE. No cost...nada!
They may get the syrup for free, but they have a contract to pay for the use of the dispensers (or at least that's my understanding).

minnie04
07-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I have a ton of these mugs from years past that we never use when we are home. I think I will take a few on our next trip and just buy a 24 case of coke or water and use them again. Just to see people look at us ...lol :thedolls: thinking we got away with 'stealing" coke from Disney.. :rotfl: :funny::funny:
Because honestly how do you know WHERE I got the drink from unless you see me at the drink station.. :rotfl: sorry, but some people get to caught up in this. Somewhere, somehow you are paying for those drinks nothing is ever free in WDW.. :D

Goofy4TheWorld
07-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Yesterday, I posted a lot of the details of the new program in this thread. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=199536&page=3)

I am reposting this article...

Something new is coming to all the Disney hotels here in the Walt Disney World Resort in the next few weeks:

A new refillable mug program — Rapid Fill — will roll out at resort locations with self-service beverage stations at Walt Disney World Resort hotels. The introduction of these new mugs will take place in a phased approach beginning in July with Disney’s All Star Resorts, where the program originally piloted in 2011. The new Rapid Fill mugs have a radio frequency identification (RFID) chip installed in the mug that allows it to be programmed for multiple days (with the option of adding additional days) all the way through Guests’ entire length of stay (even more than 14 days, but they have to be CONSECUTIVE). Mugs will allow Guests to refill beverages at any resort self-service beverage station. Guests also will be able to check their remaining days available on the fountain beverage dispenser’s LCD communication display. Rapid Fill mugs may be purchased and used at any resort self-service beverage island. Disney Dining Plan Guests will receive this mug as part of their package.

Here you are just some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) you may have about the "Rapid Fill" mugs:

- What's the difference between the current Resort Refillable mugs and the Rapid Fill mugs?
The Rapid Fill mugs offer Guests flexibility by allowing them to choose one, two, or three days of refills or for their entire length of stay. The RFID (radio frequency identification) chip installed in the mug alerts Guests as to how many days they have remaining on their mug. The program was tested in 2011 at Disney’s All Star Resorts and is similar to the technology currently used in mugs sold at Disney water parks.*

- Can non-Walt Disney World Resort Guests purchase and use the mug?*
Yes. Anyone can purchase and use the Rapid Fill mugs at any resort self-service beverage station.

- Can the Rapid Fill mugs be used in multiple resort hotels?*
Yes. The Rapid Fill mugs may be enjoyed at any resort hotel self-service beverage station.*

- Can I bring the same Rapid Fill mug each time I visit the Walt Disney World Resort?
No, past mugs cannot be activated for future visits. Guests who purchase the Length of Stay option for Rapid Fill program can use the mug for fourteen (14) consecutive days after activation. Guests can extend the mug beyond the 14-day Length of Stay option as long as it’s still within the current length of stay.*
- If the mug is activated for first use at 5 p.m., will the one day count until 5 p.m. the next day?
No, the day will end at 11:59 p.m. that night. Each day is a calendar day (12:01 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.), not a 24-hour period.*Whenever the mug is used for the first time, regardless of *time of day, the mug will expire for that day at midnight.*

- Can the current water park mug be used in resorts?*
No. The current water park mug is only valid in water parks, with no resort add-on option. However, Guests soon *will be able to add a water park option for their mug.

- Can Guests purchase a Resort Rapid Fill mug anywhere at Walt Disney World Resort?*
Resort Rapid Fill mugs may only be purchased at Walt Disney World Resort hotels with self-service beverage *stations.

- If a Guest prefers not to purchase the Rapid Fill mug, can they purchase a regular mug instead?
The Rapid Fill mugs will be the only refillable mugs available at this time. Guests may choose to purchase*
nonrefillable paper cups for their drinks if they prefer.
- Can mugs be microwaved?
No, the mug cannot be microwaved.

- What is the price of the Rapid Fill mug?
The prices of the mugs vary based on Guest preference for number of days for refills, as follows:
$8.99 for 1 day
$11.99 for 2 days
$14.99 for 3 days
$17.99 for length of stay (4+ days)

Question 1: What is the rule if you are doing split resort stays, is the "length of stay" valid only at your stay at that specific resort, or for all of WDW property. I just don't see how they can manage proving that you have reservations at 3 different resorts, some using rented points and some paying cash. But even if it is simply 5 days at Pop and 5 days at AKL, will they let you get 10 days activated?

Question 2: I sure hope they do not intent to prohibit "same-meal" refills on paper cups, but that is exactly how I read the Q&A highlighted above.

Strmchsr
07-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Question 1: What is the rule if you are doing split resort stays, is the "length of stay" valid only at your stay at that specific resort, or for all of WDW property. I just don't see how they can manage proving that you have reservations at 3 different resorts, some using rented points and some paying cash. But even if it is simply 5 days at Pop and 5 days at AKL, will they let you get 10 days activated?

Question 2: I sure hope they do not intent to prohibit "same-meal" refills on paper cups, but that is exactly how I read the Q&A highlighted above.

The way it's being explained right now, and I'm still looking for a little more clarification, too, is that they can set it up for full length of stay even at multiple resorts.

As for the second question - that does seem to be the case. No refills, even on same meal. They might change that or clarify it, but that's how it stands right now.

buzznwoodysmom
07-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Just saw a link on another site that showed the mug artwork with the Rapid Fill logo on it, and it was the same pool scene. Not sure if they just used the current design for the pic, or if the mug will indeed remain the same. It wasn't a picture of an actual mug, just a template including the Rapid Fill logo.

I'll be bummed if they don't at least give a new mug design. We have the dining plan for our upcoming November trip. I'm not sure I like the way the new mug program will work, but it would be nice to at least get a new mug design.

Tekneek
07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Wow. I read this and had to check my calendar, because this seemed too much like an April Fool's prank.

We're going to be on the standard dining plan for this trip, otherwise we probably weren't going to have mugs anyway. Not in favor of this change, personally. I don't see it going over well if they try to revoke it from existing QSDP bookings, who would already have seen this entry in their reservations.

If it inspires more people to ask for the free water, then it is a win for humanity. I can't be too discouraged about that. As is the case at virtually any destination/restaurant, the drinks are a huge profit point. Asking for the free water is the best way to express any displeasure with the drink pricing, and your body will be better off with it too.

What technology will make it rapidly fill? The name itself is another marketing distortion of the English language.

Tekneek
07-08-2013, 02:59 PM
As for the second question - that does seem to be the case. No refills, even on same meal. They might change that or clarify it, but that's how it stands right now.

That is truly wacky. No restaurant in America tries to handle it that way. Free refills of any soda fountain drink is the standard, especially when it is self serve.

Strmchsr
07-08-2013, 03:07 PM
That is truly wacky. No restaurant in America tries to handle it that way. Free refills of any soda fountain drink is the standard, especially when it is self serve.

Agreed. That's why I wonder if they'll change that or if they just haven't clarified it yet.

Tekneek
07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
The thought occurs to me now that, since it is RFID, they don't have to require anybody ever buy a new mug. Once you have an RFID-capable mug, they could let you reactivate it on future trips.

I wonder if anybody thought about how "green" that would be for the environment, instead of how anti-green that would be for the bank account.

KylesMom
07-08-2013, 03:48 PM
The thought occurs to me now that, since it is RFID, they don't have to require anybody ever buy a new mug. Once you have an RFID-capable mug, they could let you reactivate it on future trips.

I wonder if anybody thought about how "green" that would be for the environment, instead of how anti-green that would be for the bank account.

According to the information, it doesn't look like it's a green option at all since the verbiage uses the new "Rapid Fill" descriptor. That's a darn shame. Looks like it is a one-and-done again.

- Can I bring the same Rapid Fill mug each time I visit the Walt Disney World Resort?
No, past mugs cannot be activated for future visits.

DizneyFreak2002
07-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Don't forget, you'll need to book your refill 60 days in advance... And if you don't get a FP+ for the refill, then you are out of luck!!!!

kakn7294
07-08-2013, 04:16 PM
The only way I'll ever buy another mug is if I really like the design or if they include park quick service locations in the cost. Those prices are insane!

Tekneek
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Looks like it is a one-and-done again.

That's a shame. There is no reason it has to be that way, other than seeking to pad the bottom line. If you can add days during a trip, you can add days months or years later. What they mean by "cannot" is that they simply choose not to allow it.

The new pricing system would be further enhanced by allowing days to be added to the mugs at any time for the indefinite future. That's a real winner that they've left out completely.

mickeyman42
07-08-2013, 04:53 PM
I just got my 7:10pm FP+ for coke zero at POR, yes!

Seriously though, for split stays I hope it includes your entire length of stay at all resorts (although I'm sure it probably doesnt). We are staying at 3 resorts on our next trip and i will not be buying 12 mugs (4 people x 3 resorts). If the mugs are only good for our first 4 nights before we switch resorts I will not be buying any mugs and I'll keep my $60 plus tax and go to walmart and buy whatever my kids want to drink and fill up our little resort fridge and disney can keep 4 extra pool scene mugs that I have 8 of already

AvonleaCF
07-08-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm so confused on the logistics of this (sorry if it's been posted).

Are the machines locked somehow? That is, they won't dispense soda/milk/coffee/etc. unless you scan your mug? How does it work, then, if you purchase a CS meal that comes with a drink and they give you the paper cup?

What if I go to get Diet Coke, but it comes out weird (this happens with fountain soda) and I want to change my selection; will I be locked out?

mickeyman42
07-08-2013, 05:11 PM
Can i add park tickets, adrs, photopass plus, fp+ and room access to my mug? Its all RFID right? And can I get an annual pass on my mug for multiple mug trips per 365 days?

Oh wait thats probably the new, exclusive super duper disney experience ++ program, my mistake

Goofy4TheWorld
07-08-2013, 07:00 PM
I just got my 7:10pm FP+ for coke zero at POR, yes!

:congrats:!

I tried to book a few just in case, but the website kept crashing so I gave up!

:D

Quadstriker
07-08-2013, 08:56 PM
There's about 600 jokes I want to make calling this a conversion from XMug360 to XMugOne.

I wonder what UniversalStation's response will be!

If they extended this so that you could use your mug to get refills and drinks in the parks, I'd be all in favor. I know they won't though. So it's junk.

MargaretMessler
07-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Out of curiousity, will the refillable mug still be included free with the free dining plan in September? And will it be length of stay? As we are getting the DDP for free, I won't raise hell if it isn't, but it was a nice perk to have.

big blue and hairy
07-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Out of curiousity, will the refillable mug still be included free with the free dining plan in September? And will it be length of stay? As we are getting the DDP for free, I won't raise hell if it isn't, but it was a nice perk to have.

Well, sort of free...you're not getting any kind of discount on the hotel room. That mostly makes up for it.

:sulley:

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 06:04 AM

Given that this would already be part of your reservation, I cannot really see how they get out from under it for existing bookings. Those who were waiting to book, though, may get a surprise.

Aside from the absurdity of the pricing, this also represents another slashing of the "value" from the dining plan program. The refillable mug meant much more in the QSDP than it does in the higher ones, so taking it from there just about kills QSDP as an add-on. The only time it might ever make sense is when it is "free."

Perhaps the most irritating part of this is the idea that they will time-ration the refilling of the mug. That is an interesting twist on unlimited refills. Sure, it is unlimited, as long as you don't try to drink too fast. If this kind of thing isn't disclosed right from the start, the beverage filling stations are going to be a nightmare as people hang around waiting for their refill time to come.

PopPhan
07-09-2013, 09:19 AM
I'm so confused on the logistics of this (sorry if it's been posted).

Are the machines locked somehow? That is, they won't dispense soda/milk/coffee/etc. unless you scan your mug? How does it work, then, if you purchase a CS meal that comes with a drink and they give you the paper cup?

What if I go to get Diet Coke, but it comes out weird (this happens with fountain soda) and I want to change my selection; will I be locked out?

From what I have read in the article and responses, there will be an RFID tag on the "paper" cups that will allow up to 4 fills/refills within a one hour period from first use. After the one hour has passed, the RFID is deactivated and will no longer allows refills.

Perhaps the most irritating part of this is the idea that they will time-ration the refilling of the mug. That is an interesting twist on unlimited refills. Sure, it is unlimited, as long as you don't try to drink too fast. If this kind of thing isn't disclosed right from the start, the beverage filling stations are going to be a nightmare as people hang around waiting for their refill time to come.

Maybe I have not read the information correctly, or just missed this point, but I have not seen where the mugs will be time-rationed, only the "paper" cups.

March Hare
07-09-2013, 09:36 AM
please explain where you got this information

out of this article

Yesterday, I posted a lot of the details of the new program in this thread. (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=199536&page=3)? I read the whole article and could NOT find that anywhere in it:confused:

Ian
07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Oh good ... another overly complex, user unfriendly solution to a non-problem. :rolleyes:

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
From what I have read in the article and responses, there will be an RFID tag on the "paper" cups that will allow up to 4 fills/refills within a one hour period from first use. After the one hour has passed, the RFID is deactivated and will no longer allows refills.

This is rather absurd. I do not personally know of any self-serve drink location, in a food court or other eatery, that places limits on the number of refills available for soda fountain drinks.

Maybe I have not read the information correctly, or just missed this point, but I have not seen where the mugs will be time-rationed, only the "paper" cups.

On this front, I am merely going off of what I have seen reported in the community in multiple places now. I do hope this isn't the case.

disneygirlie11
07-09-2013, 10:34 AM

The article states that a length of stay mug is good for 14 days after activation (with the ability to add days) so it won't matter if you switch resorts.

Patricia
07-09-2013, 11:26 AM
This senario will actually save me money. I will buy the mug at 8.99. At WDW I only use it to carry my own drinks to and from the pool area. I'll use it quite a bit at home for my morning coffee in the car and will wear it out by my next trip, requiring a new one. :mickey:

But, for those who only visit once or twice in a lifetime, it seems overly complicated. I'm finding it more and more and more difficult to explain WDW to first time visitors.

:confused:

SurferStitch
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM
This is rather absurd. I do not personally know of any self-serve drink location, in a food court or other eatery, that places limits on the number of refills available for soda fountain drinks.

Who needs more than FOUR 20oz fountain drinks during a meal anyway??? That's more than a full 2 liter bottle of soda (almost 1.5 bottles)!

That just helps cut down on the abuse of buying ONE drink for a couple or a family, and constantly refilling it (to save $$). And yes... I have seen this happen before. I've also seen people make repeated trips with their single paper cup to the machine, just to come back to their table to dump them into multiple non-Disney mugs before heading out.

It's amazing how cheap people can be. It's not frugal, it's cheap.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-09-2013, 01:10 PM
The article states that a length of stay mug is good for 14 days after activation (with the ability to add days) so it won't matter if you switch resorts.

Excellent observation that I missed in the original article, that the length of stay option gives you a minimum of 14 days no matter what. When I read that sentence, I magically added "up to 14 days" when in fact it said only a straight "14 days".

So I can assume that along the I-4 corridor there will now be "Sell your Disney mugs" businesses spring up on shady street corners? :thedolls:

Of course Disney will then be forced to add a fingerprint reader at the fountain stations!

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Who needs more than FOUR 20oz fountain drinks during a meal anyway??? That's more than a full 2 liter bottle of soda (almost 1.5 bottles)!

It's not about need. If I am concerned about "need", I suppose I'm not at WDW to begin with.

That just helps cut down on the abuse of buying ONE drink for a couple or a family, and constantly refilling it (to save $$). And yes... I have seen this happen before. I've also seen people make repeated trips with their single paper cup to the machine, just to come back to their table to dump them into multiple non-Disney mugs before heading out.

It's amazing how cheap people can be. It's not frugal, it's cheap.

I don't think abuse is the customer's problem.

I'll see how this works out when I am there. If it is setup right, I should never notice it. If I do, then they're doing something wrong and I'll complain. I'm hoping for the former.

Edited to add... They could make this a smarter system that identifies likely "cheaters" through behavioral analysis and throttles their refills instead of doing it to everyone all of the time with one single arbitrary rule. Even simple rules like: 1 minute to first refill, 2 minutes to second, and incrementing until 45 minutes or an hour have gone by would help turn away abusers with less impact on legitimate customers. Surely they can afford to do it that way, they just don't want to. I think a smarter way of doing it would solve the abuse problem without making new problems for legitimate purchasers.

grumpy78
07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh good ... another overly complex, user unfriendly solution to a non-problem. :rolleyes:

There has been a huge problem over the years...have you not watched how frequently people use old mugs, one mug for a whole family and generic mugs? The abuses are endless... It is absolutely irritating to those of use who have spent tons of $$$ on these things over the years. And even more annoying is that NO ONE EVER CONFRONTS THEM!!!!! :thedolls::thedolls::thedolls:

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2013, 01:30 PM
But Ian, WDW has never been better!!! Despite the fact that they have made EVERYTHING a chore and will be making booking a WDW vacation stressful...

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2013, 01:32 PM
There has been a huge problem over the years...have you not watched how frequently people use old mugs, one mug for a whole family and generic mugs? The abuses are endless... It is absolutely irritating to those of use who have spent tons of $$$ on these things over the years. And even more annoying is that NO ONE EVER CONFRONTS THEM!!!!! :thedolls::thedolls::thedolls:

It has been Disney's policy from several years back that you can purchase the mug one time and use it on upcoming vacations... Yes, that WAS the policy... Until an MBA realized how much more they can pad the bottom line by now forcing you to buy an $18 mug on every trip...

TDO: do not fix or build new attractions, just find ways to **** more money from guests wallets cause our bonus checks need to be larger!!! Phil needs that new Escalade don't you know?

cer
07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Even more annoying than the abuse are the criminal prices Disney charges for food and beverage.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 01:38 PM
And even more annoying is that NO ONE EVER CONFRONTS THEM!!!!! :thedolls::thedolls::thedolls:

Because Disney refuses to confront the abusers, they're appearing to opt for a new system that places constraints on legitimate users. That's a poor management decision.

Mickey'sGirl
07-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Because Disney refuses to confront the abusers, they're appearing to opt for a new system that places constraints on legitimate users. That's a poor management decision.
I don't think that some poor stiff working for minimum wage cleaning tables at a Resort Counter Service should have to police this kind of thing. Although it should not have to be handled at all, because stealing is wrong, even if it is just soda .... a more senior authority should be dealing with the abusers.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 01:51 PM
I don't think that some poor stiff working for minimum wage cleaning tables at a Resort Counter Service should have to police this kind of thing.

That's a management issue, not a guest problem. As a legitimate purchaser of mugs, I should never have to be concerned about illegitimate purchasers. Whatever is implemented to solve that problem should effectively be invisible to me. If it isn't, their "solution" created a new problem when I did not previously have one.

Although it should not have to be handled at all, because stealing is wrong, even if it is just soda .... a more senior authority should be dealing with the abusers.

Yes, I agree. I don't speed when I drive, but others do routinely. There will always be people trying to push the limits. Now, whose problem is that? Is it my problem, as a non-speeding driver? I don't think so.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 02:03 PM
If allowing people to get their own drinks is so rife with abuse and causing financial losses, why not just eliminate it entirely? Go to selling bottled drinks and the only self-serve beverage can be water. Refusing to do that makes me believe they (1) aren't actually losing money and (2) are seeking to increase profits.

That's why I am not too convinced by the "rampant abuse" calls for compassion to Disney's predicament. Disney would surely eliminate the central beverage self-serve if it were a financial loser for them. They just want to realize some of the extra revenue they're currently missing due to abuse. Good for them. I don't have a problem with that, except for when it introduces problems for legitimate customers.

Maleficent's Dad
07-09-2013, 02:06 PM
please explain where you got this information

out of this article
? I read the whole article and could NOT find that anywhere in it:confused:
If you go to the OrlandoParksNews website, you can read the entire article, complete with FAQ's and details. I chose to only quote the main article as the entire thing is rather lengthy. Several outlets are now reporting this news. And the four 20 oz servings are confirmed in most articles. Not hard to find on line.

Quadstriker
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
If allowing people to get their own drinks is so rife with abuse and causing financial losses, why not just eliminate it entirely? Go to selling bottled drinks and the only self-serve beverage can be water. Refusing to do that makes me believe they (1) aren't actually losing money and (2) are seeking to increase profits.

Like everything else, it's a moneygrab of course.

Personally I'd rather they did away with the entire fountain drink system and just sold bottles than deal with this Mug-DRM nonsense.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 02:21 PM
If the 5 minute limitation is in place, now I really wonder what determines when that starts.

Will the system be smart enough to not start the timer until the cup is actually full? 5 minutes from when you started dispensing ANYTHING into it? Will you be allowed to combine two selections without waiting 5 minutes between? If this isn't implemented properly, this could be a nightmare for CMs and guests. I'm not going to tolerate a 5 minute wait to finish filling a mug because I pulled it away to look inside before I was finished filling it, or stopped due to some other distraction (kids talking to me, other guest asking a question, etc).

I hope the system is a lot smarter than it sounds, or CMs will be wishing they could turn it off.

ChipNDale79
07-09-2013, 02:38 PM
Such a passionate debate regarding drink mugs, I would have never thought....

Is my family the only ones that don't use the mugs and buy drinks before we arrive at WDW? We bring a cooler for our room, there's nothing like an ice cold drink straight from a cooler after a day at the park.

We haven't been to WDW since they've added the mug to the regular dining plan, even as a part of the plan I can't see us using them.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 02:44 PM
We haven't been to WDW since they've added the mug to the regular dining plan, even as a part of the plan I can't see us using them.

We often have drinks in the room too, but it gives us a way to have drinks when eating in the food courts or when out for a walk on the resort. Usually, the healthy choices are in the room and the mugs are used to splurge on sodas and such that we wouldn't normally have.

I often would fill it a couple of times on a morning stroll and then again at night. Usually I would fill it and empty it, then refill again without lurking around the drink station for more than a few minutes. Given that I only use it a few times a day, on average, an intelligent system would never flag me as an abuser. Apparently no thought is employed though, since everyone is presumed to be an abuser if they are trying to refill in less than 5 minutes (from what I have read so far). That, combined with consumption limits on non-mugs, gives me a bad impression of this.

My whole family will have mugs, since we're on the dining plan, so I don't know what "abuse" they would be preventing by limiting our access. That's another thing an intelligent system should be able to override. If my entire party has mugs, who am I supposedly filling my mug for?

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Such a passionate debate regarding drink mugs, I would have never thought....

Is my family the only ones that don't use the mugs and buy drinks before we arrive at WDW? We bring a cooler for our room, there's nothing like an ice cold drink straight from a cooler after a day at the park.

This is why a WDW fan can never and is never taken serious by management... A WDW fan will cry and huff and puff about a mug or a cinnamon roll, but will constantly defend management and Disney on issues that really matter... like stale parks, broken attractions, cutting everything while jacking up prices...

Kerry823
07-09-2013, 03:03 PM
At some point, individual vacationers need to make a decision on whether or not the "cost" is worth the aggravation. We are returning to Florida in November and decided that we will be spending our time in Sea World and other attractions. If we do go to Disney likely it will be one day at Epcot. Too many of these minor changes have become aggravating and quite frankly the diminishing level of customer service has made me rethink my allegiance. Maybe I have just grown tired of it it I need a change and will be staying offsite as well.

minnie04
07-09-2013, 03:32 PM
If the 5 minute limitation is in place, now I really wonder what determines when that starts.

Will the system be smart enough to not start the timer until the cup is actually full? 5 minutes from when you started dispensing ANYTHING into it? Will you be allowed to combine two selections without waiting 5 minutes between? If this isn't implemented properly, this could be a nightmare for CMs and guests. I'm not going to tolerate a 5 minute wait to finish filling a mug because I pulled it away to look inside before I was finished filling it, or stopped due to some other distraction (kids talking to me, other guest asking a question, etc).

I hope the system is a lot smarter than it sounds, or CMs will be wishing they could turn it off.

You know what’s going to happen. CM are going to have a card they carry and when someone complains about the machine not working right they will waive their card and you will be able to finish filling up your cup. There is no way they will be able to make people wait. Just like at the entrance to the parks when your AP card doesn’t read right. They try once or twice and let you pass right through. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother with this stuff.

ChipNDale79
07-09-2013, 04:11 PM
This is why a WDW fan can never and is never taken serious by management... A WDW fan will cry and huff and puff about a mug or a cinnamon roll, but will constantly defend management and Disney on issues that really matter... like stale parks, broken attractions, cutting everything while jacking up prices...

I usually agree with you on those topics, but this one, it just doesn't bother me what Disney is doing.

I've got a co-worker whom I've been great friends with since college, so about 15 years or so. He's the type that jumps in the car on a friday and drives 500 miles to go to Disney for the hell of it. He's also the type that abuses every system out there, including this one. I can't tell you how many times I've heard I'm say.."Oh i just used the mug we got a couple of years ago, everyone does it, who cares".

I don't like disney cutting back on things, but I totally get it when people continually takes advantage, ok I won't even call it that, steal a product that Disney does sell, and then Disney does something to try to prevent it.

Burger King, McDonalds, or any other place in the world would do the same exact thing if they had a system that Disney has, I just don't have a problem with this one.

But I do wonder if I'm going to have reserve my coke 180 days in advance though.......

GMRO
07-09-2013, 04:28 PM
So wife and I get the QSDP only since most of the food is not really good. Most has gone downhill at the parks in our opinions. Hard to find a descent place to really get a good meal. We have our favorite QS places…but past that this is where Disney lacks over the past few years - good food in general.

We get the "former" refill mugs with the plan. Usually never get more than 1 or 2 fill ups for our stay. We are usually on property for 10 days. Not soda drinkers...so for me it’s been a waste of money for a mug. We have suitcases full of them. NO we leave them at home each year!

So will my cost of QSDP go down since I don't want the RFID mug? I'll take the discount.

This year we took our Keurig, travel one, and used it each day. None of that ****-caffee they pass off for us - no longer. What a difference that made in overall enjoyment to have a nice cup in the AM and at night of our favorite brew. Yea, we drive too…so we pack what we want to take. Add a nice trip to the local Wal-Mart for our favorite adult beverages and we are all set. Grab a wrap of bottled water and the mugs just don’t get any love at the food courts or else…

BUT we usually use the mugs for our adult beverages...on the beach at CBR in the evenings. At this point I'll bring an old one for the beach from home as well.

For us this is no big deal. Looks like I'll be saving money vs. the 2 X $15 per mug we've paid for the past few years.

Course between the launch of this and our next trip, May2014, it will prolly change 1 to 6 times... Either way, it won't make me drink any more soda or pop or else from the mugs.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 04:33 PM
So will my cost of QSDP go down since I don't want the RFID mug? I'll take the discount.

As is The Disney Way, the QSDP price actually went up at the same time the news about the removal of the mugs from QSDP was leaked.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't like disney cutting back on things, but I totally get it when people continually takes advantage, ok I won't even call it that, steal a product that Disney does sell, and then Disney does something to try to prevent it.

I get the desire to stop abusers. How that coincides with removing the mugs from QSDP must be above my pay grade, though.

lightyearfan
07-09-2013, 04:51 PM
please i dont have to like , and disagree on what disney is doing to there loyal fans who keep comin back and staying at their resorts to get the little extra magical things that make us wanna stay on property, whats next no more free parking for guest who drive? or is the disney cruiseline going to implore the same ethics on the ships,with the refil stations there? it's all about the money. they can say whatever they want to justify this but its wrong(IMHO), they keep raising ticket prices and complain of losing money????? huh every single time me an dw visit wdw and it's quite often being dvc members the parks are mobbed anyway now im ranting so long

oh ps we'll be doing a wdw trip and bahama's cruise in sept lol:mickey:

again don't take this post the wrong way as me and dw love wdw and don't vaca anywhere else, but its little things like this that bother me

DizneyFreak2002
07-09-2013, 04:58 PM

I get it too... I'm not against this honestly... Just like I am not against the enforcement of the FP return times... The policy for FP was you had to return in your time, and Disney decided not to enforce the policy... Now they do..

Same goes for this... It was an unwritten (as far as I know) policy to allow people to return with mugs from former vacations and refill them without buying new mugs... It is a monster Disney created... They SHOULD have been stopping people who come in with cups/mugs other than the Disney mugs... Now they punish everyone who was only following procedures Disney themselves allowed guests to follow... It comes off as punishing loyal fans and repeat visitors...

And yes, an MBA had to come up with this new procedure... Anything that takes money from guests pockets and adds it to the bottom line, without actually making the guest experience better...

JRocker
07-09-2013, 07:08 PM
The only negative i see from this, okay 2, is the price hike and the removal from the QSDP.

Other than that, I'm fine.

Of course, if all the negative things that are being prophesied happen, then I might take issue with it. However, I was never good at predicting the future, so at this point I envision it as passive enforcement of rules.

I go to the fountain. I fill my cup. I drain my cup.

The rumored kink? I'm still thirsty after I drain my drink, and instead of standing in front of the fountain while a line of people wait, I will have to step away for a couple of minutes before I can refill.

Big. Flipping. Deal.

The big picture, yeh I get it. Rising prices, diminishing product.

If you feel that way.

Don't go.

There's another park down the road that is moving in the opposite direction because they want you there.

ANG
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Is anyone there right now using a new mug?

I leave for WDW in a few days, staying at a Deluxe. Will they issue me the old mug for this trip?

If it's starting at the Value resorts, I'm assuming they won't be at the Deluxes this week? I'm confused as to why they wouldn't replace all of them at the same time.

Tekneek
07-09-2013, 07:23 PM
As long as the refill time limit is 3 minutes or less, I'm cool with it. The 5 minutes from the testing is a bit too long for how I usually use my mugs. I take morning walks, and usually immediately drink the contents of the mug right after filling it. Then I usually fill it again and head back to the room. If we get back in time in the evenings, I usually do the same thing then. I *might* spend 5 minutes in there combined, so having to spend 10 to accomplish the same thing will be an irritant. I might just bring two mugs and rotate through it, since the whole family will be on DDP and we'll all have mugs. That will make people wait longer actually, because I'll do them both at the same time.

After looking at this throughout the day, I see this as another example of the decline in customer service. How so? Well, one of the tenets of great customer service is that you never make things easier for yourself at the expense of your customer. Everything about this, as well as other recent "innovations", is about making it easier for Disney while making it more cumbersome, complex, and confusing for the guest. I'd say the evidence is irrefutable on that.

GMRO
07-09-2013, 08:36 PM
whats next no more free parking for guest who drive? or is the disney cruiseline going to implore the same ethics on the ships,with the refil stations there? it's all about the money...again don't take this post the wrong way as me and dw love wdw and don't vaca anywhere else, but its little things like this that bother me

Wife and I share your thoughts for sure!!!

Losing the free parking...now that would upset me!

Course I was joking bout the QSDP discount. Disney give a discount??? YEAH RIGHT! BAHHAHAHAHAH

EeyoresBestFriend
07-09-2013, 10:44 PM
It doesn't really bother me. If I won't get the value out of it, I won't buy one or my DH and I may get one between the two of us and share.

Either way, I hope that they make sure all the beverage dispensers are WORKING and FULL for the ENTIRE day!! I don't mind paying the price, but I better be able to get a decent hot chocolate when I get back to the resort after the fireworks.

March Hare
07-09-2013, 11:27 PM
If you go to the OrlandoParksNews website, you can read the entire article, complete with FAQ's and details. I chose to only quote the main article as the entire thing is rather lengthy. Several outlets are now reporting this news. And the four 20 oz servings are confirmed in most articles. Not hard to find on line.

So far I have read SEVERAL articles and NONE of them say there will be a limit of four 20 oz servings just a five minute time limit between refils. As a matter of fact I have found a couple that state they will NOT be limiting you during your visit. So again PLEASE quote the passage that you found and site where it is from because I can't seem to find it anywhere.:confused:

VWL Mom
07-10-2013, 07:05 AM
So far I have read SEVERAL articles and NONE of them say there will be a limit of four 20 oz servings just a five minute time limit between refils. As a matter of fact I have found a couple that state they will NOT be limiting you during your visit. So again PLEASE quote the passage that you found and site where it is from because I can't seem to find it anywhere.:confused:

It is stated in the Q&A section of the OrlandoParkNews article dated July 7 so I see it as rumor as opposed to fact for the moment. Also, he responds the plan was not the plan is,

From OrlandoParkNews:

Paper cups will have a chip and the plan was 4, 20 oz pours in 60 minutes (use it or lose it) The cups will work at the fountain stations, just like today.

AmandaChan
07-10-2013, 07:46 AM
hah, wouldn't it just be cheaper to hire a CM to stand at the refill station and make sure everyone is using it the way it is supposed to be LOL! I just don't understand why it is such a huge issue. I am sure WDW is not losing $$$ because someone is taking an extra fill here and there.... I mean a mug that probably costs pennies to make is being sold for almost $20 for beverages that are made from flavored water! and even with that, they are selling $2 a beverage out of cheap styrofoam cups! I just want to tell WDW to chill out a little bit... I dono, that is just my opinion. With the price of everything going up the way it does... the more complicated everything is getting... just sucking all of the fun out of it. We don't even drink soda at all but I never had any problem purchasing the mugs before. Now that we will be drivin the next time we go... I'll just take my coffee maker, and a 6 pack :)

March Hare
07-10-2013, 07:56 AM
It is stated in the Q&A section of the OrlandoParkNews article dated July 7 so I see it as rumor as opposed to fact for the moment. Also, he responds the plan was not the plan is,

From OrlandoParkNews:
Actually he states that it is under the new system and NEVER states that the limit is on the paper cups. Instead he responded to someone asking about limits on the refillable cups. Which this would be misinformation. The omission of words or information changes everything.

bshaw96
07-10-2013, 08:04 AM
HUGE Disney addict here and will probably always go no matter what, but don't understand the surprise. If Disney can find a way to squeeze another penny from our pockets, they are gonna do it. We only get the mugs because its "free" with the DDP. But in the food court they still make us get a bottled drink or juice or whatever with our meals so for us the mugs never served a point other than another souvenir to crowd our cabinets at home.

VWL Mom
07-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Actually he states that it is under the new system and NEVER states that the limit is on the paper cups. Instead he responded to someone asking about limits on the refillable cups. Which this would be misinformation. The omission of words or information changes everything.

The "he" I was referring to was the writer in the article not MalDad. MD may have seen something other than I did or he simply made an error, I don't know. However, I do know when news/rumors are released we all try to provide the most up to date information possible for discussion and sometimes we do come across misinformation in the blogs. It just happens.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-10-2013, 10:33 AM
Personally I don't care about the mugs, the one time I had one I used it twice in a 5 day trip. That said I understand this from Disney's point of view. I used to work at a movie theater back in the day and my boss explained to me how they didn't make any profit off ticket sales it all went to run the place, profit was made on concessions. That is why drinks, candy and especially popcorn are so over priced. Now this doesn't mean I am giving Disney a pass on fixing rides and maintaining the parks but I do understand why they want to make their money on the drinks. Just my :twocents:

DonaldDuckUSA
07-10-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm not going to blow up about Disney changing another service. I just want to share some thoughts.

You know, it just baffles me how much you "need to know" for a Disney vacation. It seems like every decision requires a spreadsheet and a million variables.

Seriously, first time guests have to make a decision about the most affordable way to have a drink at the resort, weighing how often they'll be at the resort, how many refills a day they'll need, if the beverages they drink are included (is juice included? is it just soda? what about coffee?), and then balance that against the cost without the mugs. Who wants to put THAT much decision making into drinking a coke. Are we going to start tracking the average amounts of sodas we drink in a day to factor that into our pre-trip planning? I'm speaking in hyperbole here, but I just want to make the point that we're having a conversation about SODA PLANNING.

I guess if you're getting a meal plan, it's included, but I think my point still stands. EVERYTHING is about a spreadsheet. I need to hire an accountant for my Disney vacations. haha.

I get that Disney is all about "Innovations" and "technology," but that used to mean great inventions to change society like a monorails, not a chip in a cup. Does this make anyone else sad?

DBF and I almost never stay on site because we're Florida residents on a tight budget. This used to make me a little sad that we couldn't afford to stay on site, but now I'm honestly a little grateful.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM
So far I have read SEVERAL articles and NONE of them say there will be a limit of four 20 oz servings just a five minute time limit between refills. As a matter of fact I have found a couple that state they will NOT be limiting you during your visit. So again PLEASE quote the passage that you found and site where it is from because I can't seem to find it anywhere.:confused:

My hunch is that the article you are reading is not within the last week, but instead from SEVERAL months ago when Disney tested a different type of drink-limiting system.

That test, conducted only at All Starts Music, did exactly as you describe, it limited all refills to once every 5 minutes, That system failed and was abandoned, but Disney has come up with drink-rationing 2.0 with the system released this week, which is using RFID tagged cups and is limiting your OUNCES instead of your MINUTES.

GMRO
07-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm not going to blow up about Disney changing another service. I just want to share some thoughts.

You know, it just baffles me how much you "need to know" for a Disney vacation. It seems like every decision requires a spreadsheet and a million variables.

Seriously, first time guests have to make a decision about the most affordable way to have a drink at the resort, weighing how often they'll be at the resort, how many refills a day they'll need, if the beverages they drink are included (is juice included? is it just soda? what about coffee?), and then balance that against the cost without the mugs. Who wants to put THAT much decision making into drinking a coke. Are we going to start tracking the average amounts of sodas we drink in a day to factor that into our pre-trip planning? I'm speaking in hyperbole here, but I just want to make the point that we're having a conversation about SODA PLANNING.

I guess if you're getting a meal plan, it's included, but I think my point still stands. EVERYTHING is about a spreadsheet. I need to hire an accountant for my Disney vacations. haha.

I get that Disney is all about "Innovations" and "technology," but that used to mean great inventions to change society like a monorails, not a chip in a cup. Does this make anyone else sad?

DBF and I almost never stay on site because we're Florida residents on a tight budget. This used to make me a little sad that we couldn't afford to stay on site, but now I'm honestly a little grateful.

Great points!

Think of this...most of US on this board and other boards are REPEAT customers. AND we are confused constantly which is the most cost effective way to max a vacation dollar.

What about the "once-in-a-life-time" travelers? Who only get to WDW or DLR - ONCE in their entire life.

What a sour taste all this complexity or additional costs IF you don't plan right could give them.

UNREAL! Who'da thunk..."chip in a cup"...it'd come to this?

EeyoresBestFriend
07-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Great points!

Think of this...most of US on this board and other boards are REPEAT customers. AND we are confused constantly which is the most cost effective way to max a vacation dollar.

What about the "once-in-a-life-time" travelers? Who only get to WDW or DLR - ONCE in their entire life.

What a sour taste all this complexity or additional costs IF you don't plan right could give them.

UNREAL! Who'da thunk..."chip in a cup"...it'd come to this?

Agreed!

I think that "once-in-a-lifetimers" are going to be so wound up trying to get on rides (because they didn't know they had to pre book FP+ before they arrived to WDW) or eat (because of they didn't realize that they had to book 180 days before they got there for a restaurant they didn't know existed) that they won't even notice that the refillable mugs are an issue!
:D :D
Sorry - I couldn't resist . . .

ChipNDale79
07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Agreed!

I think that "once-in-a-lifetimers" are going to be so wound up trying to get on rides (because they didn't know they had to pre book FP+ before they arrived to WDW) or eat (because of they didn't realize that they had to book 180 days before they got there for a restaurant they didn't know existed) that they won't even notice that the refillable mugs are an issue!
:D :D
Sorry - I couldn't resist . . .

Or they're going to be so annoyed with everything at WDW, that they will never become repeat guests.....

March Hare
07-10-2013, 06:04 PM
My hunch is that the article you are reading is not within the last week, but instead from SEVERAL months ago when Disney tested a different type of drink-limiting system.

That test, conducted only at All Starts Music, did exactly as you describe, it limited all refills to once every 5 minutes, That system failed and was abandoned, but Disney has come up with drink-rationing 2.0 with the system released this week, which is using RFID tagged cups and is limiting your OUNCES instead of your MINUTES.

Actually the articles I read were recent starting with the one that was provided with his statement. and I still haven't found it in any article only in the comments. And that statement is from someone who claims to work for Disney World and he says it is for the paper cups. MalDad misrepresented the facts in responding to someone who was asking about the refillable mugs and/or not stating that the limit was for the paper cups.

Jeff said...
Looks like the 3rd Anonymous is one of the targets we were looking for. I'm not ashamed to say that I am a part of WDW Finance and were looking for ways to control costs.

Jeff said...
So Barbara,

Resort mugs have always been available, and right now they are 15.49. This takes it one step further and allows you to customize the mug, and tailor it to a shorter stay, for a reduced cost.

Guests on the Disney Dining Plan will continue to get this as a component, so no loss there.

This is a huge win in my mind since you can now use these mugs "legally" at other resort fountain locations.

Waterparks will also be added, where you can add on that option too.

So what's the drawback? The fact that you can no longer continue to use your mugs from a decade ago?

To be clear, the rules while not enforced, have always been clear. This mug is valid at THIS resort for the length of THIS stay. The only thing changing is that dishonest guests will no longer be using an old mug.

To answer your question Erik, paper cups will be valid for 4, 20 Oz. pours in one hour, with the hour timer beginning with your first fill up.

Aurora
07-10-2013, 10:51 PM
I don't think this is going to be more confusing to guests than the refillable mug has always been. You estimate whether you're going to be at the resorts long enough and drink enough for it to be worth it to you.

If you turn out to be right, great! If you're wrong, it's not worth tearing your hair out over a couple bucks when you paid hundreds, if not thousands, for your hotel and tickets.

And no, it's not about the principle. It's about soda! (Or as we say in Chicago, pop.) :D

TheVBs
07-11-2013, 08:45 AM
I agree with Aurora. How can this be confusing? You either buy the cup, you don't buy the cup or you get it free with your dining plan. And there's nothing confusing about walking to the drink station and filling your cup, whether there's a chip on it or not. I cannot imagine this impacting our trips at all.

PopPhan
07-11-2013, 09:11 AM
I agree with Aurora. How can this be confusing? You either buy the cup, you don't buy the cup or you get it free with your dining plan. And there's nothing confusing about walking to the drink station and filling your cup, whether there's a chip on it or not. I cannot imagine this impacting our trips at all.

:ditto:

Unless you are wanting to use the 'paper' cups to fill something - bottles, thermoses, etc, - I don't see 4 - 20oz refills in a one hour period (from first fill) as being an issue either. Is anyone seriously going to down 80 ounces of fountain drink in 60 minutes (give or take 20 minutes LOL)?

This seems to have elicited a lot of over-reaction simply because they are 'setting limits' rather than having any logical arguments against the policy.

If I may give my take on the effects of the policy:

1) Disallow visitors from reusing old (older/prior visit) refillable mugs
2) Disallow visitor from bringing their own (non-Disney resort) refillable mugs/bottles/thermoses to refill at drink stations
3) Disallow visitors from getting one 'paper' cup at a resort Quick Service and using it for their entire stay on property - This addresses using said cup being used to fill/refill mugs/bottles/thermoses (to a point - they could, theoretically, still use their 4 - 20oz refills in that hour to fill/refill mugs/bottles/thermoses, if they so desired.)
4) Allow visitors unlimited refills of the Disney resort purchased refillable mug(s) at ANY Disney resort drink station for the length of purchase "contract"
5) Allow for shorter stay visitors to pay less for the refillable mug, thus making it (possibly) more cost effective
6) In the (near?) future, allow the visitor to refill their Disney resort purchased refillable mugs at Disney Water Parks

Other than the increase in price for the 4+ day visitor, I am at a loss to understand all the hate for this policy. "We" (yes, that's the 'royal we') like to complain about people taking advantage of things - like the self-serve beverage stations - but cry the blues when Disney does something, or at least tries to do something, about it.

waymickey
07-11-2013, 09:20 AM
Wife and I share your thoughts for sure!!!

Losing the free parking...now that would upset me!

Course I was joking bout the QSDP discount. Disney give a discount??? YEAH RIGHT! BAHHAHAHAHAH

Last time I checked parking is part of your resort price, it is in the fine print somewhere. So "Free parking" was never free.

I don't have a problem per say with the new mug thing except the price is a bit high IMHO. Also on my last trip when I stayed at WL the soda machine was empty 60% of the time, it was just spitting out seltzer. Any cost of the mug really isn't worth it if the product is not available.

20 oz refills????? That cup holds 20 oz really?? time for an experiment!

BrerGnat
07-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Wow, quite a large number of responses on something that seems so minor.

Technology has gotten to the point where Disney can now actively prevent people from STEALING (and yes, if you were using a mug from 15 years ago last week because some CM told you it was good "forever", you were stealing. Policy has changed.)

Even at $18 for length of stay, that is a GREAT deal. $18 works out to 7 purchased sodas. Likely, people who actually buy these mugs drink more than twice that amount over a period of a few days even. So, it's a discount over posted drink prices AND you get a souvenir mug to keep! What's the issue?

We never buy these mugs, because frankly, the thought of drinking that much soda is nauseating. I might have 2 or 3 sodas over a week vacation. DH might have one a day. Even at our relatively meager soda consumption habits, this mug would be a $$$ saver. However, the inconvenience of having to carry it around and the fact that it can only be used at the resorts makes it very unappealing to us.

Stu29573
07-11-2013, 09:29 AM
While I dont have an issue with this idea as a whole, I dont like the idea that my mug purchased at the Carribean Beach in 1990 is now just a mug. When I bought it, I was assured that it was refillable "forever." It was kinda cool opening up the cabinet and knowing it was still active. Actually, I never took it on another trip, but knowing I could if I wanted to was cool. What's next? Is Disney going to tell us the "happily ever after" means "happily until it was no longer financially adventagious?"
Also, I have a problem believing thus issue was going to break a multi-billion dollar company.... The Lone Ranger and John Carter did much more damage than my innocent little mug....;)

minnie04
07-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I have an idea why don't they make it a token machine. You can bring whatever mug you want and just use tokens you purchase at the registers to buy drinks. Or even your room key. This way anyone can have a drink and no one will get upset if they see an old mug or another resort mug at your resort. This way if you don't want the new mug you don't have to buy one and if you already have one and would like to bring it back with you, you can! Make it like the arcade you get a card and swipe it when you want a drink and when your tokens are gone then hey go up and pay more to refill the card. They can then add this to the parks as well. Just set a price in small to large amounts (like the arcade) and go from there. I used to buy mugs back in the day, but now they just don’t fit into our trips, but for people who really enjoy buying them give them this option. :mickey:

GMRO
07-11-2013, 09:43 AM

Really? And you think it will work as planned on paper since everything does all the time?
It will be confusing for new-comers or only-timers. There will be failures and simple soda dispensing will get frustrating. Don't understand how it could not be for folks who don't know any better.

May2013 trip my account was paired with a "magic-band" that didn't exist. I didn't know and neither did the folks who checked us in at our resort. As a result my KTTW was not working for the DP we had paid for. Found out that each time I attempted to use it, once I started paying attention to the receipts I was given, that I was being charged on our CC attached to the room. Finally after 4 attempts to use the KTTW card for our DP at different eating places we decided to try the wife's KTTW card. IT WORKED as it should and the receipt showed it correctly. So we had to have our charges to the room refunded and ALL the DP food NOW charged against our DP account. Only way to fix 100% was to cancel our trip and rebook. RIGHT, we were already there and into the trip 2 days.

YES it was frustrating and cost us time as WE figured out was the issue. AND when we tried to explain it to the concierge at our resort they DID NOT believe us until I produced the receipts from each food place showing I was charged on my CC and the CC PLATE was not used. They brought up our account on the screen and validated our claim that we were mis-charged our meals. So why didn’t they believe us? Because it works 100% of the time flawlessly??? WE knew how the system should work since this was not our first rodeo... Did it sour us? Not once they fixed it. What do you think would have happened to a once-in-a-life-timer? Think they will return from their vacation with happy thoughts? Or tell everyone what a mess their DP was. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! STUPID DP!!!

Saying there will be no confusion is plain nieve. Any time technology steps in to regulate an issue with abuse there will be issues.

You have FAST PASS for your state turnpike tolls? Work all the time? Prolly not... I've had many credits refunded to me on my account as the pass did not work and my account was overcharged since it snapped my plate pic and said I didn’t have the FAST PASS and ran thru the toll booth. I check my account monthly for flaws and mis-charges.

Yes, once-in-a-life-timers will be frustrated when there magical vacation won't feed them the POP/SODA they want when they want it. The chip-in-the-cup will misfires or the dispenser will from consumer abuse. Time lost vs. the old refillable cups at will.

Do I understand why Disney is doing this? YES. And I have no problem paying, always have, for what I want.

GMRO
07-11-2013, 09:48 AM
Last time I checked parking is part of your resort price, it is in the fine print somewhere. So "Free parking" was never free.

I don't have a problem per say with the new mug thing except the price is a bit high IMHO. Also on my last trip when I stayed at WL the soda machine was empty 60% of the time, it was just spitting out seltzer. Any cost of the mug really isn't worth it if the product is not available.

20 oz refills????? That cup holds 20 oz really?? time for an experiment!

You are prolly right on the parking. I book thru MJ and I don't see a total break down of ALL charges for what they are for. So parking to me is absorbed in the TOTAL outlaying of cash for our vacation.

LUCKY for US - the fine ladies at MJ do a great job!!! Each year we track our vacation budget and usually its very very close to what we spend each year from year to year. So they must be doing something right! WE LOVE MJ!!!

Stu29573
07-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Really? And you think it will work as planned on paper since everything does all the time?
It will be confusing for new-comers or only-timers. There will be failures and simple soda dispensing will get frustrating. Don't understand how it could not be for folks who don't know any better.

May2013 trip my account was paired with a "magic-band" that didn't exist. I didn't know and neither did the folks who checked us in at our resort. As a result my KTTW was not working for the DP we had paid for. Found outu that each time I attempted to use it, once I started paying attention to the receipts I was given, that I was being charged on our CC attached to the room. Finally after 4 attempts to use the KTTW card for our DP at different eating places we decided to try the wife's KTTW card. IT WORKED as it should and the receipt showed it correctly. So we had to have our charges to the room refunded and ALL the DP food NOW charged against our DP account. Only way to fix 100% was to cancel our trip and rebook. RIGHT, we were already there and into the trip 2 days.

YES it was frustrating and cost us time as WE figured out was the issue. AND when we tried to explain it to the concierge at our resort they DID NOT believe us until I produced the receipts from each food place showing I was charged on my CC and the CC PLATE was not used. They brought up our account on the screen and validated our claim that we were mis-charged our meals. So why didn’t they believe us? Because it works 100% of the time flawlessly??? WE knew how the system should work since this was not our first rodeo... Did it sour us? Not once they fixed it. What do you think would have happened to a once-in-a-life-timer? Think they will return from their vacation with happy thoughts? Or tell everyone what a mess their DP was. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!! STUPID DP!!!

Saying there will be no confusion is plain nieve. Any time technology steps in to regulate an issue with abuse there will be issues.

You have FAST PASS for your state turnpike tolls? Work all the time? Prolly not... I've had many credits refunded to me on my account as the pass did not work and my account was overcharged since it snapped my plate pic and said I didn’t have the FAST PASS and ran thru the toll booth. I check my account monthly for flaws and mis-charges.

Yes, once-in-a-life-timers will be frustrated when there magical vacation won't feed them the POP/SODA they want when they want it. The chip-in-the-cup will misfires or the dispenser will from consumer abuse. Time lost vs. the old refillable cups at will.

Do I understand why Disney is doing this? YES. And I have no problem paying, always have, for what I want.

Actually, until Disney " technology" has blown up in your face (as it did to us on our last trip....repeatedly) you cant understand how frustrating it is. The blind will continue to trust the computers....but, unfortunately, we know better.....

Melanie
07-11-2013, 09:56 AM

Yes! We're actually going through this very thing right now with the state of Pennsylvania. And I think this is a very good example of how all this technology is supposed to work, but doesn't always and problems arise.

I also don't think it will be as simple as choose your mug, pay for your days, fill your drink, enjoy.

All of this stuff makes my head hurt. :bang:

Mickey'sGirl
07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
All of this stuff makes my head hurt. :bang:Which is why I drink tap water and hot coffee. I don't do the mugs anyway.

Melanie
07-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Which is why I drink tap water and hot coffee. I don't do the mugs anyway.

True, and I'm the same way now, but I was actually speaking to ALL the RFID stuff. My brain is not equipped to handle all this. ;)

Stu29573
07-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I cant see us drinking enough soda to make it worth it. BTW, the mugs are probably 20 oz without ice....add ice, subtract half...

seanyred
07-11-2013, 10:22 AM
True, and I'm the same way now, but I was actually speaking to ALL the RFID stuff. My brain is not equipped to handle all this. ;)

RFID is not a new technology it is used in everyday life for millions of people (for example my work ID to get in the office or credit cards that are "tap to pay"). The technology isn't new but the way it is being implemented by Disney is new. Will there be problems? Yes of course there will be, but a majority of the time the technology will work without issues.

Also I don't think this will impact "once in a life time guests" as much as some might think. Mainly because they don't have a point of reference.

I wonder if the internet/message boards existed back in the 80's if people would have complained about Disney doing away with the ride tickets and going to a flat rate ticket?

brie9877
07-11-2013, 10:24 AM
last trip was my first time booking DP. I used my cup for morning coffee and at night for our drinks after parks (mostly iced tea). i still think its worth it to not have to purchase night time drinks but im a simple person. :blush:

Melanie
07-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I understand it's not new. I had an RFID chip in my Tampa Bay Lightning jersey 2 years ago to get a discount on food/beverages and apparel. I get it.

People have been complaining for years about how complicated a WDW vacation is. All this makes it even more so. Just my opinion. With everything factored in (ADRs 180 days out, dining plan or no dining plan, free dining, FP+, etc), I just don't think it should be so detailed and complicated to go on vacation.

I will say I like the tap to pay and tap to get in your room (which is also not a new thing in the hotel industry, by any means).

I wonder if the internet/message boards existed back in the 80's if people would have complained about Disney doing away with the ride tickets and going to a flat rate ticket?

Probably. ;)

Strmchsr
07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
i still think its worth it to not have to purchase night time drinks but im a simple person. :blush:

Honestly, you're the type of person Disney is counting on - wanting simple/convenience and not worried about if it's a "value" or not. Pretty much everyone who has ever crunched the numbers has figured out the DDP is no longer a good value. You can do MUCH better paying oop, but some people want to have their meals pre-paid, not have to think about prices when they order, etc. and don't care if it's more expensive than what it would have been had they paid when they ordered. I think the mug is pretty much the same issue. If you're pinching pennies and looking for value, avoid the mug, avoid the DDP. If you're looking for convenience, then use them both.

lightyearfan
07-11-2013, 10:35 AM
You are prolly right on the parking. I book thru MJ and I don't see a total break down of ALL charges for what they are for. So parking to me is absorbed in the TOTAL outlaying of cash for our vacation.

umm folks parking isn't absorbed into the price, this is taken directly from the WDW Website

Resort Hotel Guests
Parking is complimentary for Disney Resort hotel Guests with a valid Key to the World Card or Resort Parking Permit.

Annual and Premium Passholders, in addition to Disney Premier Passport holders, can park at no additional charge.

if it were absorbed they would have to break it out on an invoice to show you what exactly your paying for and every Resort Invoice that i get it never ever shows parking on it. i've also asked the cm's and more than once have they told me that parking is complimentary. anyway this is getting off the huge mug concerns

Stu29573
07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Also I don't think this will impact "once in a life time guests" as much as some might think. Mainly because they don't have a point of reference.

So giving a "one time guest" a frustrating and confusing experience is ok because they dont have a point of reference? Sounds like a way to make sure they are only a "one time guest..." Just saying...

TheDuckRocks
07-11-2013, 11:29 AM
It seems like every decision requires a spreadsheet and a million variables.

......but I think my point still stands. EVERYTHING is about a spreadsheet. I need to hire an accountant for my Disney vacations. haha.

As a retired accountant this is why I love my Disney spreadsheets, they take up tons of time which keeps me out of the bars.;)

Once again it cracks me up that we are again going on about the dumb mugs. Oh yeah and there's another discussion about them over in dining. And I have posted in both. I need a life.

brie9877
07-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Honestly, you're the type of person Disney is counting on - wanting simple/convenience and not worried about if it's a "value" or not. Pretty much everyone who has ever crunched the numbers has figured out the DDP is no longer a good value. You can do MUCH better paying oop, but some people want to have their meals pre-paid, not have to think about prices when they order, etc. and don't care if it's more expensive than what it would have been had they paid when they ordered. I think the mug is pretty much the same issue. If you're pinching pennies and looking for value, avoid the mug, avoid the DDP. If you're looking for convenience, then use them both.

Don't get me wrong, im not an automaton, right now it suits my needs, if it doesnt suite my needs in the future i obviously wont "go with the flow"

AvonleaCF
07-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Reading through all of this I was thinking, "Screw the mug! I'll just buy some extra bottles of Diet Coke and keep it cold in my room fridge!"

... oh wait. :thedolls::mad:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-11-2013, 11:37 AM

Just had to respond to this, Disney is counting on the vast majority of people not doing spreed sheets. They expect that most people don't know the true cost of their vacation until afterwards (first time I went I didn't). A good many people are caught unawares or just don't care. They are on vacation. That said most of us on this site seem to have to account for every dollar (myself included). Therefore we try to get the most bang for our buck and research every part of our trip. I believe that would be true no matter where we stayed. I know if I was going to the beach or New York city I would look at the cost of everything. But that is just who I am and the same is true for others. I have even looked into the costs of staying offsite but it just wouldn't work for my family. So yeah its Disney its expensive but so are a lot of other places. Some of us are just better at planning (like you). Not trying to insult you I think you feel a lot like I do and don't want to just throw money away. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
As a retired accountant this is why I love my Disney spreadsheets, they take up tons of time which keeps me out of the bars.;)

Once again it cracks me up that we are again going on about the dumb mugs. Oh yeah and there's another discussion about them over in dining. And I have posted in both. I need a life.

:rotfl:

Stu29573
07-11-2013, 12:03 PM
I think part of my objection to all of this is that not only do I think the Disney computer team isnt up to the task (sorry if any are reading this, but Im just going from personal experience. Feel free to prove me wrong) but I spent years learning the old Disney World way to do things and Im not sure it will be worth it to relearn everything..... Disneyland is still simple....

seanyred
07-11-2013, 12:18 PM
I think part of my objection to all of this is that not only do I think the Disney computer team isnt up to the task (sorry if any are reading this, but Im just going from personal experience. Feel free to prove me wrong) but I spent years learning the old Disney World way to do things and Im not sure it will be worth it to relearn everything..... Disneyland is still simple....

Disneyland will change as well. The plan is have this be at every Disney Resort across the globe. They just decided to make their largest resort the guinea pig.

I dont think it is as complicated as some are making it be. It is just different and human beings inherently don't like change. I'm with holding judgment until I experience it myself.

Stu29573
07-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Disneyland will change as well. The plan is have this be at every Disney Resort across the globe. They just decided to make their largest resort the guinea pig.

I dont think it is as complicated as some are making it be. It is just different and human beings inherently don't like change. I'm with holding judgment until I experience it myself.

I freely admit I dont like change for change's sake. Im a "if it aint broke" kind of guy. Maybe if this blows up in their face at WDW, it wont infect the other parks... On the other hand I really hope I am wrong in my fears, and it turns out to be a vast imorovement....but I cant see how right now...

BrerGnat
07-11-2013, 02:06 PM
You know what's funny? Cruise lines have been using RFID encrypted soda dispensers for a few years now. Royal Caribbean, for example, charges $6.50 PER DAY for a "soda package". This is PER PERSON! On a 7 day cruise, that's close to $50.

Disney mugs are quite a bargain compared to that.

From what I know, these machines/mugs have never had problems on the cruise ships. The technology is not riddled with issues like a few people want to believe.

It will all be fine.

Goofy4TheWorld
07-11-2013, 03:05 PM
From what I know, these machines/mugs have never had problems on the cruise ships. The technology is not riddled with issues like a few people want to believe.

The soda is fine, it's the engine and the sewage containment issues for the ships! :D

squijee
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
What about the ice tea machines and the hot chocolate and coffee machines? We don't drink much soda.

Nascfan
07-11-2013, 06:58 PM
What about the ice tea machines and the hot chocolate and coffee machines? We don't drink much soda.

All three of those things are on the beverage stations and therefore would be included in refills, same as now.

TheVBs
07-11-2013, 07:12 PM
There is nowhere you can vacation where everything works perfectly 100% of the time. However, I've never experienced a drink malfunction. If I do on a future trip, I'll let someone know and it'll get fixed - just like I would anywhere else, with any other issue.

GMRO, the problems you experienced were of a magnitude higher, and I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm even sorrier that you were given a hard time when you tried to get it fixed. That is not good customer service and I hope you let Disney know that.

Otherwise, yes. I really do think the mug thing is that uncomplicated. Even if you've never been to Disney before, how the mug works will be about a 10 second explanation. If something goes wrong on a first timer's trip, they'll either get great customer service and come back, or they don't and they won't. When I think of our first trip there and how much we didn't know and that we realized belatedly that we needed more planning, we were still hooked and came back. A drink malfunction would have been quickly forgotten by us.

DizneyFreak2002
07-11-2013, 07:24 PM
I think some people give the average WDW guest WAY too much credit... Half of them cannot figure out Fastpass, you want to them to figure out RFID and NextGen and MyMagic+ and fastPass+? Yea... never going to happen... :)

buzznwoodysmom
07-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Wow, seven pages about soda mugs!!!!

All I want is a new mug design! :blush:

DonaldDuckUSA
07-12-2013, 02:03 PM
Just had to respond to this, Disney is counting on the vast majority of people not doing spreed sheets. They expect that most people don't know the true cost of their vacation until afterwards (first time I went I didn't). A good many people are caught unawares or just don't care. They are on vacation. That said most of us on this site seem to have to account for every dollar (myself included). Therefore we try to get the most bang for our buck and research every part of our trip. I believe that would be true no matter where we stayed. I know if I was going to the beach or New York city I would look at the cost of everything. But that is just who I am and the same is true for others. I have even looked into the costs of staying offsite but it just wouldn't work for my family. So yeah its Disney its expensive but so are a lot of other places. Some of us are just better at planning (like you). Not trying to insult you I think you feel a lot like I do and don't want to just throw money away. :mickey:

You're not insulting me at all. :mickey: I totally agree that Disney is banking on (quite literally) people not being obsessive planners and detail oriented. That's fine, but I'm just to the point where I'm being pushed beyond my planning limit. I'm growing tired of the details of a Disney vacation.

I'll keep going, sure. But I'm not too thrilled about stretching a budget to stay on site only to do more of this mess. :shrug: But that's just me.

Christine
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Oooooooo!!!!! :thedolls: :stir:

:secret: ...save it for the podcast...save it for the podcast... ;)

JerseyDad
07-12-2013, 10:57 PM
....at +17 buck per mug (no dining plan or free dining this year for us) ...me thinks this is a bit insane.

....I guess I'll be relegated to bringing an extra case or two of diet coke to POP with us ...and our old mugs ...and getting our ice cold soda from our room fridge ....oh ....wait ...I forgot ....NO FRIDGE. :mad:

...hey ....WDW ......another FAIL!!

stephicakes
07-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Man, I am glad I don't drink soda! Think I'll stick with my water and stay clear of those drink machines!!! :tiptoe:

Tekneek
07-13-2013, 08:47 AM

From what I have been told, the drink containers are smaller and they lock you out for 15 minutes. For me, that would be an issue (although I suspect just about everything is overpriced since they have a captive audience that cannot easily opt out).

For what it is worth, the comparison with a cruise ship is meaningless to me. I'm not going on one and don't plan to. They could charge $1 million a day for soda or 50 cents and I won't consider it an apples-to-apples comparison.

From personal experience, it is a very good thing that more people don't know what it is like when a WDW vacation goes bad. When things go off the rails for you, few CMs know what to do, and it is like you've become an "untouchable." Disney CMs do well to pick you up from the little run-of-the-mill things, but anything significant going wrong and you're in a special kind of hell trying to get any kind of reasonable resolution in a decent time frame.

Stu29573
07-13-2013, 09:23 AM
From personal experience, it is a very good thing that more people don't know what it is like when a WDW vacation goes bad. When things go off the rails for you, few CMs know what to do, and it is like you've become an "untouchable." Disney CMs do well to pick you up from the little run-of-the-mill things, but anything significant going wrong and you're in a special kind of hell trying to get any kind of reasonable resolution in a decent time frame.

This is very true....and one reason I haven't been chomping at the bit to get back quite as much. While it was clear that most of the CM's wanted to help, it was equally clear that they were getting zero management support. In fact, although I spent about six hours over three days in lines, on the phone, and talking to confused CMs, I never once had the opportunity to talk to anybody in management. By the way, it was all caused by a rollout of a new computer system. See why I'm sceptical about all of this?

Aurora
07-13-2013, 11:43 AM

We have had that experience twice -- once with a couple hundred dollar purchase that wasn't ours appear on our room bill, and the other with a room that was dirty and broken with no ability to change rooms. Both times it was resolved to our satisfaction with no fuss at all by the CMs, and with very little fuss by us, and I documented them in my trip reports.

I understand you had a completely different experience complicated by technology and requiring quite a bit of your vacation time to resolve, and that's very frustrating. I also know others who have had just as maddening of a situation. I just wanted to point out there are other people who had the exact opposite experience.

But I don't think something going wrong with drinking mugs could be considered by any stretch of the imagination "a special kind of hell."

Tekneek
07-13-2013, 12:05 PM
But I don't think something going wrong with drinking mugs could be considered by any stretch of the imagination "a special kind of hell."

No, that is reserved for things above the norm. We've had issues like what you mentioned resolved, but others that DIsney just dropped the ball on. The unfortunate thing, and reflects the decline in guest service, is that it is very difficult to get the proper attention applied when something serious has gone on (not referring to medical issues) that the ordinary front line CMs or direct managers don't know what to do with. You end up being referred to different phone numbers, talking to these people, those people, and nobody is doing anything...while time continues ticking by.

We didn't have the big technology-caused problem, though, that was a different poster. However, Disney's track record with backend services doesn't give me confidence about any of these new initiatives.

Those moments reveal the difference between the legend of Disney customer service and the reality. Disney can get really ordinary at those times, even hostile about it. I don't want to get into the details in a public forum.

Scrappy2
07-15-2013, 02:29 PM
I have one question. If I am one of those that do not purchase the mug I just buy a fountain drink each morning with my breakfast. That is the only time I get a drink at the resort so buying a drink each day works better for me and cost about the same. I just buy one each day so I do not have to carry my mug with me all day or run it back to the room after breakfast. How will individual drinks work with the new system?

PopPhan
07-15-2013, 02:33 PM
I have one question. If I am one of those that do not purchase the mug I just buy a fountain drink each morning with my breakfast. That is the only time I get a drink at the resort so buying a drink each day works better for me and cost about the same. I just buy one each day so I do not have to carry my mug with me all day or run it back to the room after breakfast. How will individual drinks work with the new system?

The 'paper' cups they give you will have an RFID sticker/chip/etc. on them and will allow 4 fills/refills within a 60 minute period of time that begins on your first fill. After the time has run out, the RFID will become inoperative.

comicguy
07-16-2013, 07:26 AM
I have not read through the whole thread, so maybe this has already been asked.

What happens w/ Spit Stays? (example) 1st half w/ dining, second half OOP?

Just wondering what "length of stay" will actually refer to in these circumstances?

Mendelson
07-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Well, this one is a sticky wicket.

Are you purchasing before 8am (hereafter referred to as Standard Business Starting Hour [SBSH])? If so, the deal is that you logon to Disneybeverages.com within 20 minutes of the anticipated time you expect to purchase your cup, simply log in, navigate 12 levels down, and click the "Claim my drink" button (in four-point font) at the bottom of the page.

At this point, you're only a few easy steps away from beverage magic!

Simply proceed to the food court at the resort that comes after yours alphabetically. So if you're in the Poly, for example, you would go to Saratoga Springs. There, present your MMW bracelet. Next comes a fun activity to bring the magic of Disney movies to your vacation! Prior to leaving home you'll have been asked to name your favorite Disney movie. A CM will now say a line to you from that movie and you must respond with the next line from the movie (i.e., the CM says, "But I don't want to go among mad people," [from AiW] you must respond with, "Oh, you can't help that - most everyone's mad here"). After successfully completing your movie challenge, the CM will give you a 23-digit code.

Enter the code on the beverage machine, sing along in the proper key with the short classic Disney song that plays after, and you will get four ounces of your favorite beverage (but unlimited ice!...WDW listened to their guests!).

Do I repeat all this fun to get more beverage? you ask.

Not exactly - for four more ounces proceed to the resort that is the nearest counterclockwise to the resort where you've retrieved your first portion (so if you were at OKW at this point you would now go to POFQ). Enter the 23-digit code you previously received in reverse order and enjoy any beverage except for the one you previously chose.

Please note that this entire series must occur before SBSH. After that time the system starts to get complicated.

yjgirl32
07-16-2013, 09:18 AM
We have had a "hell vacation". Disney was awesome about and helped in every possible way, especially since it wasn't their fault. I got refunds I wasn't expected, got extra things that they didn't have to do. Somehow a soda machine breaking down would not cause my trip to be ruined or for me to not want to go back. I will just be happy to be on vacation.

MNNHFLTX
07-16-2013, 09:37 AM
While I understand the use of humor in dealing with the complexity of this issue, I think it may be hard for newcomers or he casual visitor to our boards to understand what is meant tongue-in-cheek and what is not. If you're going to post something (even partially) in jest, please follow it up with factual, helpful information too.

However, I must add that, in this case, fiction doesn't seem too far from the truth. :crazy:

Mendelson
07-16-2013, 09:44 AM
While I understand the use of humor in dealing with the complexity of this issue, I think it may be hard for newcomers or he casual visitor to our boards to understand what is meant tongue-in-cheek and what is not. If you're going to post something (even partially) in jest, please follow it up with factual, helpful information too.

However, I must add that, in this case, fiction doesn't seem too far from the truth. :crazy:

Heaven help the person who reads any truth in my post!

And as a sad, general truism in my life, I know very little factual, helpful information. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
07-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Heaven help the person who reads any truth in my post!

And as a sad, general truism in my life, I know very little factual, helpful information. :mickey:
Well, do the best you can. ;)

JPL
07-16-2013, 02:18 PM
I guess what it is going to come down to is simply doing the math. Is your stay long enough to justify the extra money. If you are staying 7 days it averages out to $2.57 per day. So basically if you use your mug twice a day it's worth the money. Seems like they are applying the same formula to the mugs as they do the park passes the longer you stay the greater the value you receive.

ANG
07-16-2013, 06:56 PM
We just got back from SSR yesterday and they had the new mugs (pool design). But the fountain was still the same.

DizneyFreak2002
07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Well, this one is a sticky wicket.
{snip post}

Kudos... LOL... I read this and laughed... 1) because it was funny and 2) I sadly see them thinking an idea like this would be GOLD...

The more Disney makes decisions for WDW, the more the magic fades (not that there is much magic left to drain from WDW anymore)...

PirateLover
07-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Kudos... LOL... I read this and laughed... 1) because it was funny and 2) I sadly see them thinking an idea like this would be GOLD...

SAME. :rotfl: I have to admit Mendelson had me cracking up. Isn't it a shame that someone new to WDW might actually think that could have truth in it?

I have not weighed in on this topic yet, but there are two things that really stick in my craw about it:

1. The total disregard for the people who had the old mugs that were supposed to be guaranteed free refills for life. (Of which I am NOT one so it doesn't really affect me, I just see it as another step down in customer service and caring about returning guests).

2. The fact that, as others have mentioned, practically everywhere else you go that has a self-serve beverage fountain gives free refills.

The way I see it, there is no way they were losing a large sum over the refill situation. It's just another way to squeeze a nickel out of guests. I won't really be affected by it, as we don't usually drink soda. We will continue to make grocery stops and stock up on water and juice and likely forgo mugs. Maybe we'll buy ONE if they ever change the design. (I'm another one who likes to use them at home for my morning coffee) :coffee:

Stu29573
07-17-2013, 09:17 AM
SAME. :rotfl: I have to admit Mendelson had me cracking up. Isn't it a shame that someone new to WDW might actually think that could have truth in it?

I have not weighed in on this topic yet, but there are two things that really stick in my craw about it:

1. The total disregard for the people who had the old mugs that were supposed to be guaranteed free refills for life. (Of which I am NOT one so it doesn't really affect me, I just see it as another step down in customer service and caring about returning guests).

2. The fact that, as others have mentioned, practically everywhere else you go that has a self-serve beverage fountain gives free refills.

The way I see it, there is no way they were losing a large sum over the refill situation. It's just another way to squeeze a nickel out of guests. I won't really be affected by it, as we don't usually drink soda. We will continue to make grocery stops and stock up on water and juice and likely forgo mugs. Maybe we'll buy ONE if they ever change the design. (I'm another one who likes to use them at home for my morning coffee) :coffee:

See, this was exactly my point a few posts ago that everyone ignored!!! I think I will take my old mug back and demand a refund. Hey, they PROMISED. Also, soft drinks are the cheapest thing any food place serves. The paper cups cost more, literally. This is another "Magical Mugging." (pun intended)

GMRO
07-17-2013, 09:52 AM
umm folks parking isn't absorbed into the price, this is taken directly from the WDW Website

Resort Hotel Guests
Parking is complimentary for Disney Resort hotel Guests with a valid Key to the World Card or Resort Parking Permit.

Annual and Premium Passholders, in addition to Disney Premier Passport holders, can park at no additional charge.

if it were absorbed they would have to break it out on an invoice to show you what exactly your paying for and every Resort Invoice that i get it never ever shows parking on it. i've also asked the cm's and more than once have they told me that parking is complimentary. anyway this is getting off the huge mug concerns

Thanks for the clarification!

GMRO
07-17-2013, 10:32 AM
GMRO, the problems you experienced were of a magnitude higher, and I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm even sorrier that you were given a hard time when you tried to get it fixed. That is not good customer service and I hope you let Disney know that.

We did once we got back home. They can't fix it if they don't know about it. We were thanked for our time and input...

BUT WE WERE NOT OFFERED A NIGHT IN THE CASTLE FOR OUR TROUBLE!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Never look for a freebie. Just try to make sense of it.

THANKS!

LarryBoy
07-17-2013, 11:50 AM
We will be arriving at ASM in 11 days and I'm trying to decide if I will get a new mug or not. I don't drink sodas, so I have a couple of questions that will sway me. Do we know yet if it is a new mug design? I usually just use my mug for my morning coffee. Does All Stars have in room coffee pots? What non sodas are available with refillable mugs? I know coffee, but what else? Can I get milk or juice? Anything else, non carbonated?

Disneyfirsttimer
07-17-2013, 12:53 PM

:thumbsup:

Stu29573
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Of course, if they were using one of the really old "forever" mugs, no one should have confronted them.....

Stu29573
07-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Its a money grab, folks. Nothing to see here, move along....

PirateLover
07-17-2013, 03:39 PM
And honestly, I could count on one hand the number of times I've witnessed mug privilege "abuse." At the All Stars I once saw someone with an old CBR mug. Two or three times I've seen people with the more generic mugs from a few years earlier. That's just my experience though. To me this has always been one of those issues that some people get all riled up about, and I don't really care all that much. Same with pool hopping. I don't condone anyone breaking the rules, and I never would, but I have more important things to worry about.

wdwaggie
07-18-2013, 10:38 AM
That's just it folks, finally call it what it is...abuse of a system. Blame Disney all you want to, but until people start playing by the rules, they are doing what they feel is necessary to combat the abuse of some pretty pathetic people. Disney could elect to give away the mugs to every guest and give the drinks away for free, but then people would start bringing empty milk jugs from home and filling them up to take back home...I'm all for saving money, but folks, quit being cheap. If you can afford to come to Disney every year or two-three times a year that some of you say you do, then you can afford to pay to refill your mug. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to scrape and save to come to WDW about every 3-4 years, but in that savings, I make sure that I can afford to eat, drink and be merry without complaining about something so simple as my drink.

Stu29573
07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
That's just it folks, finally call it what it is...abuse of a system. Blame Disney all you want to, but until people start playing by the rules, they are doing what they feel is necessary to combat the abuse of some pretty pathetic people. Disney could elect to give away the mugs to every guest and give the drinks away for free, but then people would start bringing empty milk jugs from home and filling them up to take back home...I'm all for saving money, but folks, quit being cheap. If you can afford to come to Disney every year or two-three times a year that some of you say you do, then you can afford to pay to refill your mug. I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to scrape and save to come to WDW about every 3-4 years, but in that savings, I make sure that I can afford to eat, drink and be merry without complaining about something so simple as my drink.

I hear you, and Im in the same boat as you (as you can see by my trips listed). My only gripe is that in 1991 I was told that my drink mug would be good forever. Now, they have said that its not. If you want to change the rules, fine. But you cant break a standing agreement t do it. Now, the funny thing is that I have never actually taken the mug on any trips. But thats not the point. A deal is a deal.

DizneyFreak2002
07-18-2013, 03:04 PM

If you are trying to say people using older Disney mugs from trips past were abusing the system, they weren't... The mugs were "good forever" meaning buy one, use again and again even on upcoming trips... I am sure there were people using non-Disney mugs, and yes, those people were abusing the system... But people who were using the mugs purchased at the food courts/resorts were not...

Let's really call this what it is... Management needing to artificially increase bottom line numbers/profits to justify their huge bonuses while the parks continue to remain stagnant and less than magical...

Quadstriker
07-18-2013, 03:46 PM
I tend to think of this as a cyclical problem. Go into any hospitality house and try to buy a six pack of whatever drinks you like, a bag of chips, and maybe some dip. Better take out a 2nd mortgage. (And this is why using companies like Strollers & Groceries for your trip is a fantastic idea - but not everyone knows how to do that.)

If the price of a small bottle of coke at a resort didn't induce sticker shock, people would be less inclined to cheat the system.

But they do start to "cheat" because they themselves feel like they're being gouged by the "standard" WDW price.

So WDW institutes countermeasures to prevent the "cheating".

And people feel like they're being gouged further (whether they're right or wrong).

and so on and so on...

cer
07-18-2013, 04:21 PM
If the price of a small bottle of coke at a resort didn't induce sticker shock, people would be less inclined to cheat the system.

But they do start to "cheat" because they themselves feel like they're being gouged by the "standard" WDW price.

Even more annoying than the abuse are the criminal prices Disney charges for food and beverage.

I am requoting myself. (see above) Quadstriker is right. If people did not feel cheated, there would be no need to cheat.

Also, with all these changes, any chance I could possibly get a Dr. Pepper? ;)

Nascfan
07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
My only gripe is that in 1991 I was told that my drink mug would be good forever. Now, they have said that its not. If you want to change the rules, fine. But you cant break a standing agreement t do it. A deal is a deal.

I agree with you that a deal is a deal, but let me ask you this. Have you personally checked with Disney and verified that they will not make allowances for the lifetime mugs? If so, then you have a legitimate complaint. However, I think it would be doable for them to make allowances for someone like yourself that has a lifetime mug to still be able to use it or something similar on future trips. I'm not sure how, I'm no technology expert, but I'm truly curious if they've told you specifically that if you brought that lifetime mug back that they would not honor it in some way, form, or fashion.

If you are trying to say people using older Disney mugs from trips past were abusing the system, they weren't... The mugs were "good forever" meaning buy one, use again and again even on upcoming trips... I am sure there were people using non-Disney mugs, and yes, those people were abusing the system... But people who were using the mugs purchased at the food courts/resorts were not...

I don't buy that at all, that all, or most, or even a decent percentage of the people using old mugs were using the "good forever" kind. Let's be honest here, it's been almost twenty years since the lifetime mugs went away. I find it very hard to believe that very many people are still bringing them back for their free refills. That doesn't change the fact that those that are should have an allowance of some sort made to them, but I've personally seen a lot of mugs I know for a fact are not the lifetime type being reused (such as a design or two ago, after the lifetime guarantee).

DizneyFreak2002
07-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I don't buy that at all, that all, or most, or even a decent percentage of the people using old mugs were using the "good forever" kind. Let's be honest here, it's been almost twenty years since the lifetime mugs went away. I find it very hard to believe that very many people are still bringing them back for their free refills. That doesn't change the fact that those that are should have an allowance of some sort made to them, but I've personally seen a lot of mugs I know for a fact are not the lifetime type being reused (such as a design or two ago, after the lifetime guarantee).

I cannot speak for others, I can only speak for myself, but in 2002 I was told the mug I purchased at Caribbean Beach Food Court was good fro my length of stay that trip and future trips... yes, as late as 2002... I still have that mug... So, if the mug policy was stopped 20 years ago (around 1993), then the CM was wrong for telling me 10 years later my 2002 mug was good for future trips..

I cannot state I know for a fact the "lifetime" mug ended 20 years ago since 1) I don't know that to be true, and 2) in 2002 I was told differently... So, if others were told the same thing I was (BTW I asked, they did not volunteer the information), then anyone returning in the future was not abusing the system... They were only doing what they were told was okay, using mugs bought on one trip during future trips...

What I do not buy is the fact that there was major wide spread abuse of the system... I'm not saying there wasn't abuse... I just don't believe the abuse by Disney mug owning people was as bad as people here make it sound... I do believe there were more people abusing it who never once purchased one of the mugs, instead using water bottles or their own cups... And yes, Disney CMs should have been allowed to stop any guest who abused the system in such a way... too bad management never let CMs actually stop guests from doing wrong for fear of losing a customer... Instead, a bean counter finds a way to pad the bottom line, management loves it since it benefits them and not the guest, and now punishes any loyal Disney guest (i.e. those who purchased mugs as required) by making them buy one again...

This is WDW in 2013... Remove guests benefits and perks and park offerings (entertainment, rides, dining), raise prices, and make sure to always increase that bottom line...

Nascfan
07-19-2013, 07:00 AM
I cannot speak for others, I can only speak for myself, but in 2002 I was told the mug I purchased at Caribbean Beach Food Court was good fro my length of stay that trip and future trips... yes, as late as 2002... I still have that mug... So, if the mug policy was stopped 20 years ago (around 1993), then the CM was wrong for telling me 10 years later my 2002 mug was good for future trips..

I do believe there were more people abusing it who never once purchased one of the mugs, instead using water bottles or their own cups... And yes, Disney CMs should have been allowed to stop any guest who abused the system in such a way... too bad management never let CMs actually stop guests from doing wrong for fear of losing a customer...

Now that is very interesting. I remember in 2001 being told by a CM that our mug was only good for length of stay. So one of us was definitely given wrong information, that is for sure. I don't remember what we were told in 1997 (our first visit as a family), so I was guesstimating the lifetime ending certainly around then, which would put it at close to 20 years ago, 16 or 17 to be exact, so rounded off. We also have one of the mugs from 2001, but it's so faded and worn that I couldn't tell if there was writing on it about length of stay or not, so I can just report what we were told, same as you.

I absolutely agree with the second part of the quote above...CM's definitely should have been able to stop abuse right then and there, and it's a shame management wouldn't take the lead and/or back them up.

VWL Mom
07-19-2013, 07:40 AM

I still use our WL mugs when we stay there. The original mugs were much better and came in 2 sizes. The big one holds about 20 oz and was made by thermos, the smaller one was about 8oz coffee style. I use them at home and they're still in great shape.

Now, you may see me at others resorts with my big mug but rest assured I'm not using it at the refill stations. In the morning I make my own coffee in the villa and afternoons by the pool it's probably an adult beverage. :marg::beer:

As far as the ending date for the lifetime mugs it was implemented on a resort by resort basis as they ran out of their supply and the new supply was introduced with the length of stay printing. This seems to have taken place starting late 2000 through 2002. This was addressed way back when right here on INTERCOT (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1249724&postcount=24).

PirateLover
07-19-2013, 08:33 AM
It just goes to show how the waters get muddied when they don't enforce their own rules, to the point where CMs don't even know the rules!

I was under the impression that under the old system, when mugs were resort-specific, that they were refillable for life at that resort only. When they started changing over to the generic mugs, it became length of stay (although even this was unclear. I had a CM tell me once we could bring it back until the design changed).

With all of this conflicting info it's very possible many of the so-called 'abusers' thought they were in the right. Now, refilling a child's sippy cup or a mug from home is a big :nono: in my opinion, but I've never witnessed that myself. I've only read about it here (although I believe it happens). Even so, again what this boils down to in my opinion is pinching pennies.

Nascfan
07-19-2013, 09:09 AM
As far as the ending date for the lifetime mugs it was implemented on a resort by resort basis as they ran out of their supply and the new supply was introduced with the length of stay printing. This seems to have taken place starting late 2000 through 2002. This was addressed way back when right here on INTERCOT (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1249724&postcount=24).

Thanks for the clarification Lyn. Apparently both DizneyFreak2002 and I may very well have been told the correct thing by two differenct CM's as we were at two different resorts at two different times. Oy, no wonder people could be confused!

Bottom line though, I still stand by my original statement that most people have not been using lifetime mugs, certainly not within the last few years or so. I'm sure a fair amount could have been confused and thinking they were, ala Maryanne above, but I'm still of the opinion that the vast majority were just using previous, non-lifetime mugs because they could.
I also stand by Stu29573, and Lyn, and anyone else that truly has a usable lifetime mug that Disney should make an allowance of some sort for these people and offer a viable solution.

tgmousechick
07-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Not all older Disney mugs are "forever" mugs- many of them are "length of stay" Disney mugs. I have a POR mug from 2006 that say "good for the length of your stay" on the side near the handle. Therefore, I use it as the souvenir that it was intended to be and use it for my morning coffee. But that's at least 6 years (not sure how many years previous that was instituted) worth of length of stay mugs that are potentially being reused.

From a pure academic standpoint, I'd be interested to see a breakdown on Disney mugs and the percentage of forever vs length of stay - I'm betting the forever mugs are not the majority of mugs still in circulation. I'm guessing the true level of beverage abuse is higher than you think it is, but lower than Disney says it is.

The RFID system had to cost Disney a fair chunk of change- which also cuts into their profit. Someone was able to convince TPTB that the cost of installing RFID and redesigning the mugs was less than what they were "losing" through mug abuse, and I seriously doubt that the $$ "lost" through true forever mugs is that significant.

Let's really call this what it is... Management needing to artificially increase bottom line numbers/profits to justify their huge bonuses while the parks continue to remain stagnant and less than magical...

Mickey'sGirl
07-19-2013, 10:41 AM
It's not the taking of the beverages that is costing Disney, it's the not selling a new mug that is. This new system will definitely be a Cha-Ching for profit!

Stu29573
07-19-2013, 11:44 AM
It's not the taking of the beverages that is costing Disney, it's the not selling a new mug that is. This new system will definitely be a Cha-Ching for profit!

Very very true! As I have said before, the beverages cost less than a paper cup on average.... Thats why so many places give free refills. It really doeant cost them anything. Its the mug that generates the profit....NOT the drink!

LarryBoy
07-19-2013, 02:06 PM
So what you're saying is that Disney is trying to make a profit? :jaw:

Stu29573
07-19-2013, 02:57 PM
So what you're saying is that Disney is trying to make a profit? :jaw:

So you're saying that Disney is so hard up that they need to gouge "guests" on an item that they can get for free at the local Arby's? If refills are going to sink a corporation, you need to dump that stock NOW. Disney used to actually consider customers "guests." Now "mark" would probably be a better term....:(

LarryBoy
07-19-2013, 03:26 PM
So you're saying that Disney is so hard up that they need to gouge "guests" on an item that they can get for free at the local Arby's? If refills are going to sink a corporation, you need to dump that stock NOW. Disney used to actually consider customers "guests." Now "mark" would probably be a better term....:(

Do you mean that "free" soda that Arby's charges you $1.50+ for and lets you get refills on if you happen to be dining in? If $18 is for a souvenir mug and at least four days of beverages is being "gouged" then just don't buy it. This "mark" is just not as worried about it as some. :cool:

Stu29573
07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
If $18 is for a souvenir mug and at least four days of beverages is being "gouged" then just don't buy it. This "mark" is just not as worried about it as some. :cool:

Not being worried about it doesn't make it right. I can choose to turn a blind eye too, but I'm afraid that the pixie dust is wearing a bit thin at WDW...or it is costing a bit much. I was always Disney's biggest defender, but after our last "less than magical" trip, I'm seeing that the Mouse has no clothes... or problem with nickel and diming "marks" to death. Disney may not owe me anything, but in that same vein, I dont owe them blind adoration either. Feel free to do as you wish, of course....

PopPhan
07-19-2013, 03:58 PM
It just goes to show how the waters get muddied when they don't enforce their own rules, to the point where CMs don't even know the rules!

I was under the impression that under the old system, when mugs were resort-specific, that they were refillable for life at that resort only. When they started changing over to the generic mugs, it became length of stay (although even this was unclear. I had a CM tell me once we could bring it back until the design changed).

I can agree with this point, although, on our first stay in Sept. 2003, we got the Caribbean Beach mugs and they actually had notation on them - vertically along the handle - that they were Length Of Stay only. These were Resort Specific mugs. (My ex gave them away after we got home!! :mad: )

Stu29573
07-19-2013, 04:11 PM
My Carribean Beach mug (that I realized I got in 1995, not 1991) doesn't say anything about "length of stay" or "resort specific." That was actually the big selling point at the time; you could use it forever and at any resort... Guess I missed that "not really" at the bottom of the sign...

DizneyFreak2002
07-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I can agree with this point, although, on our first stay in Sept. 2003, we got the Caribbean Beach mugs and they actually had notation on them - vertically along the handle - that they were Length Of Stay only. These were Resort Specific mugs. (My ex gave them away after we got home!! :mad: )

My Caribbean Beach much from 2002 (yes I still have it, call me a hoarder LOL), is not resort specific and does not have any notation on the the mug at all... Must be a lifetime mug...

However, my Pop Century mug from 2006/2008 time frame is resort specific and does state the mug is only good for length of stay... Since yours has the writing and is resort specific, 2003 must have been when they started length of stay only... Gee, I have one of the last lifetime mugs... Wonder what the rubes would pay me for it on eBay??? :)

steamboat willy
07-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Personally I don't have a problem with the refillable mug, we actually enjoy it. Since our last four (4) trips have been under the FREE DINING Program, OUR mugs were also Free. I will add that it doesn't stop here, recently at the Hospital Food Court in one of larger cities I witnessed the cashier chase down a nicely dressed lady only to ask if she just got a refill on her drink? When she said yes, the cashier told her it would be .27 cents. No refillable mugs here in NC.
I'll be glad to use mine in October!:cool:

MNNHFLTX
07-21-2013, 04:14 PM
That's just it folks, finally call it what it is...abuse of a system. Blame Disney all you want to, but until people start playing by the rules, they are doing what they feel is necessary to combat the abuse of some pretty pathetic people. Disney could elect to give away the mugs to every guest and give the drinks away for free, but then people would start bringing empty milk jugs from home and filling them up to take back home...I'm all for saving money, but folks, quit being cheap. If you can afford to come to Disney every year or two-three times a year that some of you say you do, then you can afford to pay to refill your mug.I think the biggest bone of contention about the new system is not the cost but how overly complicated it sounds like it will be. At least that's what the issue is for me. :shrug:

BTW, we bought some of those old "free refills for life" mugs many years ago and never brought them back on subsequent trips to WDW. It was always fun to buy a new resort-specific mug each trip, especially when staying at a new resort! But they did away with that incentive a several years ago when they started selling the same generic mugs at all the resorts. Boring.

DizneyFreak2002
07-21-2013, 04:19 PM
BTW, we bought some of those old "free refills for life" mugs many years ago and never brought them back on subsequent trips to WDW. It was always fun to buy a new resort-specific mug each trip, especially when staying at a new resort! But they did away with that incentive a several years ago when they started selling the same generic mugs at all the resorts. Boring.

You and many other people who have bought the life time mugs never brought them back on future visits which is why I say it isn't a big issue as people on here are making it sound... This is simply management looking to squeeze more money from your pocket... Today's Disney is not about providing more toward the guest experience... Today's Disney is all about bottom lines, increased profits, higher stock prices while offering less to the guests and making things ever so complicated, just as long as the bottom line benefits... Sad thing is, people defend them... And we wonder why TDO treats guests like rubes? Most are...

MNNHFLTX
07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I don't buy that at all, that all, or most, or even a decent percentage of the people using old mugs were using the "good forever" kind. Let's be honest here, it's been almost twenty years since the lifetime mugs went away. I find it very hard to believe that very many people are still bringing them back for their free refills. That doesn't change the fact that those that are should have an allowance of some sort made to them, but I've personally seen a lot of mugs I know for a fact are not the lifetime type being reused (such as a design or two ago, after the lifetime guarantee).2003 is when they started stamping "good for length of stay only" on the cups and posting it at the drink stations. So to the best of my knowledge (at least as a moderator on the Accommodations forum) that is when the lifetime mugs went away. But yes, most of the people I've witnessed coming back for free refills clearly did not have the lifetime mugs (or Disney World mugs, for that matter).

luvdiznee
07-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Can i add park tickets, adrs, photopass plus, fp+ and room access to my mug? Its all RFID right? And can I get an annual pass on my mug for multiple mug trips per 365 days?

Oh wait thats probably the new, exclusive super duper disney experience ++ program, my mistake

:funny:

But seriously, I'm sure this means resort specific mugs are NEVER coming back...:(

waymickey
07-22-2013, 10:02 AM
So has it started yet? July is more than half over.

Butters
07-22-2013, 11:01 AM
For us the drink stations have always been a long enough hike away that we rarely refilled anyways... We don't like carrying empty cups around the park so they really don't pay off for us

GMRO
07-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Over the past 4 years we get the QSDP. Just fits our style. And we HAVE to get the mugs...I don't think you can opt out. The older mugs at this point.

As most know, with the QSDP you get a beverage with the meals so we get the chocolate milk for breakfast and water during the days for lunch or some form of iced tea. If we eat breakfast in our room via Garden Grocer stuff we have delivered we may use a meal from the plan for a dinner. OR well we pay out of pocket for at least 2 sit downs like Via Napoli/Fulton Crab House so beverage is paid for. Far as coffee, I take my coffee - KEURIG travel brewer with us and I use my WDW Tervis tumbler.

Funny thing is we usually we forget the plastic mugs 80% of the time in the room. Just not on our minds to take them to the food court and we don't pack them to take to the parks - just another thing to carry. On our pool days we use them for our own packed adult beverages – so we do use them for that.:marg: LOL

I'm just not even sure DW and I will miss the mugs - RFID or not. I know we have a suitcase full of them at home. I prefer my Tervis tumbler to keep my beverages the right temp longer.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out and how it may morph to a different type of control mechanism.

Just say’n…

FriendsofMickey
07-24-2013, 11:04 PM
We purchased a "lifetime free refils" mug in 1996. So, those who see those using Dixie Landings mugs and getting mad, should realize that those people are not doing anything wrong. They are not stealing, we were told "Lifetime". That said, I have NEVER brought an old mug back with me (even our life time ones).

I found years ago that the mugs were souveniers and not a real bargain for us. We just are not at the resorts enough to make them worth it. I think the last one we bought, we never even used.

If I get the dining plan (which seems less and less likely as the years go by as well) and the mug comes with it, we will take it. Otherwise, we will not be purchasing them, unless they are really cute. Haven't seen "cute" ones in a long time.

Stu29573
07-25-2013, 09:36 AM
We purchased a "lifetime free refils" mug in 1996. So, those who see those using Dixie Landings mugs and getting mad, should realize that those people are not doing anything wrong. They are not stealing, we were told "Lifetime". That said, I have NEVER brought an old mug back with me (even our life time ones).

I found years ago that the mugs were souveniers and not a real bargain for us. We just are not at the resorts enough to make them worth it. I think the last one we bought, we never even used.

If I get the dining plan (which seems less and less likely as the years go by as well) and the mug comes with it, we will take it. Otherwise, we will not be purchasing them, unless they are really cute. Haven't seen "cute" ones in a long time.

Exactly!:thumbsup: I could have written this myself!

LarryBoy
07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know if the new RFID mugs have appeared yet at the All Stars? I'm arriving at ASM in 3 days!

VWL Mom
07-28-2013, 10:48 AM
According to the DFB, the new RFID machines have been seen this week at BC Marketplace and AS Music. The RFID is not yet operational but is expected to go live in August.

Strmchsr
07-28-2013, 11:17 AM
They were not "live" yet at Pop this week, but they were being put into place.

Crow
07-28-2013, 01:30 PM
so would this deter any of you from getting the mugs. Im not sure. I usually get the mugs each trip, even though the design hasn't changed. And if depends if the coffee is better now. But if I had a car I could get an ice chest for cheap and fill it w beverages...

VWL Mom
07-28-2013, 01:51 PM
so would this deter any of you from getting the mugs. Im not sure. I usually get the mugs each trip, even though the design hasn't changed.

Honestly, it's not the RFID that bothers me as much as the design. I have 18 Beach scenes, at first they were cute but now I'm pretty much over it.

As others have said before I would love to see a straight refill charge for available for AP, DVC, and FL res. Hook it up to my MagicBand and let me use my own mug. Short of that, change the design every year.

waymickey
07-28-2013, 05:30 PM
I get the mugs every year as well but this year we are going to pass. It is not the RFID that is stopping me it is the fact that it is the same design. I buy it as a souvenir and I already have a few so I will wait until the design changes. I have water and other beverages ready to go!

GMRO
07-29-2013, 09:24 AM
RFID is not our reason to NOT get the mugs.

We are not soda/fountain drink junkies. And the coffee is terrible. So if I can save a buck or 2 by not adding to our suitcase of plastic mugs at home I'm all for it.

I'll chose what I drink and where I want to get it and what I'll pay for for it. Before with the DP there was no choice and you had to get the mug - at least the QSDP right?

LarryBoy
07-29-2013, 11:41 PM
We're at ASM this week. Still no new mugs.

GMRO
07-30-2013, 08:25 AM
we're at asm this week. Still no new mugs.

Then I say DRINK like FISH!!! While you still can.

LOL

ENJOY!!!

LarryBoy
07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Then I say DRINK like FISH!!! While you still can.

LOL

ENJOY!!!

:rotfl: Sadly I don't drink sodas, but my DS will drink up!

Opus X
08-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Its just a mug and soda??:confused:
We can put a man on the moon and folks cant find this easy? why is this an issue.
Walk up to fountain....fill cup or mug. Walk away.
:mickey:
Sometimes we buy the mug deal...sometimes not....depends how often we are at resort.

Tekneek
08-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Its just a mug and soda??:confused:
We can put a man on the moon and folks cant find this easy? why is this an issue.
Walk up to fountain....fill cup or mug. Walk away.
:mickey:
Sometimes we buy the mug deal...sometimes not....depends how often we are at resort.

It's the arbitrariness of the system, as described to this point, that I have a problem with. RFID-enabled dispensing is no big deal. Capping it at a certain number of oz every 5 minutes or so is entirely for Disney's benefit, not the paying guest. One of the tenets of great customer service is never to take shortcuts for your own benefit, at the expense of your customer. In this aspect, it is yet another symptom of a greater problem. That is probably what bothers me more than this issue by itself.

Opus X
08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
It's the arbitrariness of the system, as described to this point, that I have a problem with. RFID-enabled dispensing is no big deal. Capping it at a certain number of oz every 5 minutes or so is entirely for Disney's benefit, not the paying guest. One of the tenets of great customer service is never to take shortcuts for your own benefit, at the expense of your customer. In this aspect, it is yet another symptom of a greater problem. That is probably what bothers me more than this issue by itself.
Yeah, but its still just soda...sometimes things aren't a bigger deal.

Tekneek
08-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah, but its still just soda...sometimes things aren't a bigger deal.

As I was saying, it isn't just about soda. This is just another thing the customer gets to deal with in order to make things easier for Disney. Which is fine, except when they pretend to hold true to superior customer service ideals. Maybe they just offer seminars on those to other companies now, rather than actually operating by them itself.

Opus X
08-05-2013, 01:01 PM
As I was saying, it isn't just about soda. This is just another thing the customer gets to deal with in order to make things easier for Disney. Which is fine, except when they pretend to hold true to superior customer service ideals. Maybe they just offer seminars on those to other companies now, rather than actually operating by them itself.
I understand, I just have a different opinion of what is something to deal with. If I didn't read about it here...I probably would never even notice it there.
Again, we don't use the mugs much anyways.....

Arielfan98
08-05-2013, 01:20 PM
These mugs come with the DP so I don't see a problem and if you're not doing the DP you'll be paying for your food so obviously you should expect to pay for drinks. It is what it is because people abused the system.

disneynarula
08-09-2013, 07:37 AM
We always stop at Target and get cases of water anyway. This just makes me realize what a good decision that is. We don't spend a ton of time in the resort and I hate carrying that mug around.

Last time we went to Disney it was during free dining and we got the mugs as part of the package. We filled them up once during the seven days we were there. Maybe it would be different if we were big soda drinkers but we can go months without even buying the stuff.

I do however think they should honor the mugs they told us were good forever. This isn't cheating the system. It's expecting someone to stay true to their word.

of:offtopic:

I think the biggest problem here is that WDW is spending tons of money on silly stuff instead of improving quality. But most of the people on these boards are proof that Disney can basically do whatever they want and people will continue to work second jobs or rack up huge credit card debt to make their trips possible. For me, it's not worth it.

We stared going less frequently as a family when the tickets stopped being non-expiring and you had to pay extra for park hopping. That was ages ago and it seems like every year there is something that decreases the value of a WDW trip.

Now we go every three years and that's enough for us. We take the kids other places for vacation. I still love WDW but would never make it a frequent vacation spot anymore.

Terra
08-09-2013, 06:30 PM
And honestly, I could count on one hand the number of times I've witnessed mug privilege "abuse." At the All Stars I once saw someone with an old CBR mug. Two or three times I've seen people with the more generic mugs from a few years earlier. That's just my experience though. To me this has always been one of those issues that some people get all riled up about, and I don't really care all that much. Same with pool hopping. I don't condone anyone breaking the rules, and I never would, but I have more important things to worry about.
Agreed. I'm sure not going to babysit anyone or report them, or even say anything to them.
Putting on my flame proof clothing, but I honestly don't care. I'm there spending time with my family and having fun.

Opus X
08-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Agreed. I'm sure not going to babysit anyone or report them, or even say anything to them.
Putting on my flame proof clothing, but I honestly don't care. I'm there spending time with my family and having fun.
Yep...The whole soda abuse happens every second..i see folks using water cups from the room...water cups from the food court....etc.
I really dont give a hoot. I just do my thing and have a great time. I'll be honest...I think we all have gotten a bit of soda here and there that went into a cup that it wasnt supposed to...:blush:
But, All in all...we used to do the mug thing..we just don't need it anymore. Most of the time we eat and drink in the parks. But, if we do use the food court...i buy o.j. or something.

Terra
08-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Yep...The whole soda abuse happens every second..i see folks using water cups from the room...water cups from the food court....etc.
I really dont give a hoot. I just do my thing and have a great time. I'll be honest...I think we all have gotten a bit of soda here and there that went into a cup that it wasnt supposed to...:blush:
But, All in all...we used to do the mug thing..we just don't need it anymore. Most of the time we eat and drink in the parks. But, if we do use the food court...i buy o.j. or something.
Agree.
Not that it makes it right of course. I think sometimes we can get to the point of splitting hairs, KWIM? I can't imagine that everyone is so perfect that even down to taking a pen from work, no one ever does anything that 'abuses' X,Y, or Z. Again, not that it's right.

Like I said, I'm just there to have a good time. And I tend to try not to judge others, because I have no idea of their situation.

DNS
08-12-2013, 12:39 PM
This will still work out great for us as we usually stay 10 days.

disneydeb
08-13-2013, 02:28 PM
I just got off the phone with a person at Disney... he said there are no provisions yet for guest transferring their resorts mid stay.
I called because I am staying at Saratoga one night then moving to OKW the next day.
He also asked how I found out about it because they weren't supposed to talk about it yet...:blush:

grumpy78
08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
:ditto:

Unless you are wanting to use the 'paper' cups to fill something - bottles, thermoses, etc, - I don't see 4 - 20oz refills in a one hour period (from first fill) as being an issue either. Is anyone seriously going to down 80 ounces of fountain drink in 60 minutes (give or take 20 minutes LOL)?

This seems to have elicited a lot of over-reaction simply because they are 'setting limits' rather than having any logical arguments against the policy.

If I may give my take on the effects of the policy:

1) Disallow visitors from reusing old (older/prior visit) refillable mugs
2) Disallow visitor from bringing their own (non-Disney resort) refillable mugs/bottles/thermoses to refill at drink stations
3) Disallow visitors from getting one 'paper' cup at a resort Quick Service and using it for their entire stay on property - This addresses using said cup being used to fill/refill mugs/bottles/thermoses (to a point - they could, theoretically, still use their 4 - 20oz refills in that hour to fill/refill mugs/bottles/thermoses, if they so desired.)
4) Allow visitors unlimited refills of the Disney resort purchased refillable mug(s) at ANY Disney resort drink station for the length of purchase "contract"
5) Allow for shorter stay visitors to pay less for the refillable mug, thus making it (possibly) more cost effective
6) In the (near?) future, allow the visitor to refill their Disney resort purchased refillable mugs at Disney Water Parks

Other than the increase in price for the 4+ day visitor, I am at a loss to understand all the hate for this policy. "We" (yes, that's the 'royal we') like to complain about people taking advantage of things - like the self-serve beverage stations - but cry the blues when Disney does something, or at least tries to do something, about it.

:thumbsup: Well said...

Strmchsr
08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Stations are now going live today. They aren't all live yet, but will be by the end of the month.

smallworld
09-02-2013, 11:08 PM
The Rapid Fill mugs went live on 8/26 at BC, three days into our stay. fwiw, our reservation was through 8/30 but the Rapid Fill display showed the mugs as being good through 9/9. Also, there was no delay between refills at all.

Before going live, we saw plenty of people filling old mugs. The day it went live, we saw some disgruntled people asking at the register why they couldn't use their old mugs. It seems to me that at least some people really didn't know they couldn't keep bringing the old ones back; otherwise, why would they ask a CM?

I'm not happy about the higher price and I'm not happy about the fact that even with the new technology, Disney hasn't announced any plans to let guests bring back their Rapid Fill mugs on subsequent trips and have them reactivated. (We have way too many old refillables hanging around the house!) But I can readily see why Disney felt the need to move to RFID-coded refillables.

cuteduck223
09-03-2013, 12:10 AM
Most importantly...not answered after reading this entire thread...new design or no? ;)

VWL Mom
09-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Most importantly...not answered after reading this entire thread...new design or no? ;)

Same design, different colors. Orange, lime green, and purple.

wildernesslady
09-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Which resorts are now participating? We are going to WL in October and would at least like a new color choice. Have many of the old ones.

cuteduck223
09-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Well, that ruins my plan to get a complete set of 12 black and 12 pink. :)

VWL Mom
09-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Which resorts are now participating? We are going to WL in October and would at least like a new color choice. Have many of the old ones.

I think they're all pretty close to being live. We stayed at BLT last week and they still had the old ones but the CM said they were getting ready to switch.

Mackflava99
09-03-2013, 01:59 PM
I am going to the Contemporary for work on Sunday, we were just at the BC 2 weeks ago- i guess my mugs won't work...

PopPhan
09-03-2013, 02:19 PM
I am going to the Contemporary for work on Sunday, we were just at the BC 2 weeks ago- i guess my mugs won't work...

Nor should they.

seanyred
09-03-2013, 08:37 PM
The Rapid Fill mugs went live on 8/26 at BC, three days into our stay. fwiw, our reservation was through 8/30 but the Rapid Fill display showed the mugs as being good through 9/9. Also, there was no delay between refills at all.

Before going live, we saw plenty of people filling old mugs. The day it went live, we saw some disgruntled people asking at the register why they couldn't use their old mugs. It seems to me that at least some people really didn't know they couldn't keep bringing the old ones back; otherwise, why would they ask a CM?

I'm not happy about the higher price and I'm not happy about the fact that even with the new technology, Disney hasn't announced any plans to let guests bring back their Rapid Fill mugs on subsequent trips and have them reactivated. (We have way too many old refillables hanging around the house!) But I can readily see why Disney felt the need to move to RFID-coded refillables.

Glad to hear that there is no delay with getting your refills. Not that I am drinking a ton of pop but it seemed there was a lot of people worried about this. Also I do hope they give you a option to bring back the mugs in the future but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Lindsey310
09-04-2013, 07:02 PM
This, IMHO, is totally outlandish. WDW gets all of their fountain drinks for free from the Coca Cola company....that's right FREE. No cost...nada! They talk about food court theft...what about the theft of your mugs now....because they now will have valueduring your stay...you won't be able to leave them unattended while in the pool or enjoying another activity for fear of loss...then what....are they gonna believe it was stolen and issue you another?

And lastly, we all know that technology isn't always reliable. Can you imagine the chaos at at refill station if the "reader" is on the fritz? OMG....I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Disney World but isn't this just a little too much...really?

Thanks for letting me vent...:mickey:

Agreed!!! :thumbsup:

Tekneek
09-05-2013, 01:03 PM
It is an urban myth that WDW gets free Coke products, but it is reasonable to assume they get very favorable prices on it. Perhaps even the most favorable on the planet.

big blue and hairy
09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
So, anyone who's been lately, how's the system working?

AndrewJackson
09-10-2013, 08:15 PM
They talk about food court theft...what about the theft of your mugs now....because they now will have valueduring your stay...you won't be able to leave them unattended while in the pool or enjoying another activity for fear of loss...then what....are they gonna believe it was stolen and issue you another?

That what your in-room safe is for. :D

Seriously though, your refillable mug could be stolen under the old system. Before the scanning system, all mugs were good. I've never felt my mug would be stolen. I just don't buy that as a valid argument.

Overall, I don't see the new mugs as a real big deal.

CaptSmee
09-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Rapid fill is in place already at AKL. Its programmed into the bottom of the mug & currently is only on the soda machines.

Crow
09-12-2013, 12:04 AM
I just got off the phone with a person at Disney... he said there are no provisions yet for guest transferring their resorts mid stay.
I called because I am staying at Saratoga one night then moving to OKW the next day.
He also asked how I found out about it because they weren't supposed to talk about it yet...:blush:

im not drinking as much soda anymore..but I wonder since im staying at diff resorts in Dec. and if the coffee Nescrapfe is gone

Scott C
09-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Just got back from the poly. System is up and running. I really had no issue with it. The only potential gripe is the delay between drinks. It appeared to be about a four minute delay between refills. Really not a big deal.

Thanks
Scott c

Tekneek
09-15-2013, 08:51 PM
It appeared to be about a four minute delay between refills.

Was this every time? 4 would be a nuisance. I had read 2 minutes reported by someone recently, and that is much better for me. I generally only use them twice a day (mornings and nights) and prefer to fill it, down it, and then fill it again. I never timed it, but I strongly suspect I usually emptied it the first time in less than 4 minutes.

Scott C
09-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Might have been that short, at the poly it was not that big of a deal since the area was so small. We would usually get our drink and the go to the kiosk to order, we could easily refill our glasses before the food was ready.

Thanks
Scott c

angua85
09-16-2013, 06:43 AM
Sooo, I am missing something- where is the "rapid" in the "Rapid Fill" for the new mug system? Does the soda pour out faster?

big blue and hairy
09-16-2013, 10:53 PM
Sooo, I am missing something- where is the "rapid" in the "Rapid Fill" for the new mug system? Does the soda pour out faster?

:D That's exactly what I asked my wife! :D

Tekneek
09-17-2013, 04:01 PM

Naturally, this is another example of words being used for "branding" and not for what they actually mean.

cer
09-17-2013, 04:19 PM

I guess that it is "rapid" in that you don't have to go purchase a paper cup each time...

Beach Club Babe
09-25-2013, 11:02 AM
At Art of Animation it did not appear to be working very well this past week. My husband encountered a woman who had stopped the stream of soda into her cup in order to let the foam disappear. She could not then continue to fill her mug. Later in the week I observed a woman and her daughter carrying a variety of the old mugs back from the food court, full. Then both my dh and I saw a woman filling up soda bottles, so I'm not sure what was going on there, but clearly the system was not working.

pianobabe
09-25-2013, 08:21 PM
During our stay last week at SSR, we were using the mugs. About halfway through the week, the display started working on the soda machines. We checked in on 9/14 with a check out of 9/21. The display showed our mugs were good until 9/30. I'm not sure what the significance in that is unless they take into account people who are switching resorts. My In-Laws were staying at Movies and we used a couple of their mugs at Music without any problem (not sure if it was because it was an All-Stars thing or not). With their stay they checked in on 8/31 and checked out on9/13. Their mugs were good through 9/15.

JerseyDad
09-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I guess that it is "rapid" in that you don't have to go purchase a paper cup each time...

....it actually refers to the short time span that it takes for you to become furious with it.

Opus X
09-27-2013, 04:57 PM
If having to wait 4 minutes before a refill is an issue....then you have a soda drinking problem...:D or at least a massive gulping disorder...
4 minutes...is extremely fast time to drink a mug and then get a refill. Id say 5 minutes is even PLENTY of time.
Certainly....no complainers about that.....:confused:
Hmm, massive gulping disorder...I wonder if you can get a G.A.C. with that condition...?
Sure enough....someone would try...

JerseyDad
09-28-2013, 11:36 AM
If having to wait 4 minutes before a refill is an issue....then you have a soda drinking problem...:D or at least a massive gulping disorder...
4 minutes...is extremely fast time to drink a mug and then get a refill. Id say 5 minutes is even PLENTY of time.
Certainly....no complainers about that.....:confused:
Hmm, massive gulping disorder...I wonder if you can get a G.A.C. with that condition...?
Sure enough....someone would try...

....not fer nuthin' ....if I'm thirsty ...two of those mugs can be downed in about 15 seconds.

....the "inconvenience factor" comes into play when some one wants to mix their Diet Coke with ...let's say ...some lemonade. If you remove the cup from the sensor ...to switch product ....you have to wait 4 minutes.

....just as "inconvenient" is the price for the mug. That refill of soda is carrying with it a product cost of about $0.04 to $0.06 per cup. If you intend to drink 300 cups of soda .....then it's worth every cent.

....if you opt for the paper cup at the food court ...the cup itself is costing more than the soda.

Tekneek
09-29-2013, 11:46 AM
If having to wait 4 minutes before a refill is an issue....then you have a soda drinking problem...:D

Considering I use them maybe twice a day, at the most, I don't think filling it twice in less than 4 minutes is a soda problem. Those hanging around and refilling many more times, at longer intervals, actually have the soda problem...which this does nothing to help with.

Opus X
09-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Considering I use them maybe twice a day, at the most, I don't think filling it twice in less than 4 minutes is a soda problem. Those hanging around and refilling many more times, at longer intervals, actually have the soda problem...which this does nothing to help with.
Oh, I know...I was just amused about the folks complaining about having to wait 4 minutes between refills.....which IS rapid.
Its comical what folks have issues with at WDW
But, entertaining none the less.:thumbsup:

Dsnygirl
10-01-2013, 10:12 AM
From what I heard in August @ CBR (where the new system was in full effect, and no problems there w/ it) the whole "wait time to refill" issue is to keep people from "stealing" soda - aka giving it to others who don't have mugs - and we did watch this occurring. Grandma didn't want to buy a mug, so Dad, who DID buy one, would fill his and then pour it into her cup or her water bottle... then Dad would refill his again, fill Grandpa's, who also didn't buy a mug... and it continued. We watched MANY families doing this, and they just had to wait the 3 minutes for the sensor to "re-boot".

Doesn't matter as much during free dining, when everyone gets the mugs for free.... but if we had paid $15 (or whatever the going rate for the refillable mugs is) for each of ours, it would have been HIGHLY annoying to watch half the food court get their drinks for free.

(But then this is also the reason we ONLY get the mugs if we're there for free dining... we never go to the food court, so paying $15 for what is essentially a souvenir mug, as we might use it once, is crazy....)

justice11
10-01-2013, 01:19 PM
For pete's sake, something else I have to think about, this is supposed to be a vacation. We always come down with three rooms worth of people, spend a fortune and now we have to thik about how many days we want to have drinks. Give me a break. I am addicted to Disney world as are my kids and grandkids, so we always have to buy a bunch of mugs. What am I going to do with 20 years of disney mugs?:thedolls:

pooh0601
10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know if the WL has the system in place yet?

Also, do the tea and coffee machines use this same system as well?