PDA

View Full Version : AA or Southwest?

mickeyd
07-07-2013, 05:42 AM
AA or Southwest

Looking to purchase flights LAX to MCO for the WDW marathon weekend in Jan. Normally Virgin America is my first choice of carrier, but their fares are currently $811!!!

I'm considering either a direct flight on AA for $210 (4:45 duration) or a flight with one stop, no plane change on Southwest for $215 (6:15 duration). Southwest has the advantage of free checked bags, but I like direct flights - less chance of delay or something going wrong, in my mind anyway.

I have never flown Southwest before, so I am a bit reluctant. I must admit the no pre allocated seating kind freaks me out. For those who have flown both, which would you choose and why?

kakn7294
07-07-2013, 08:31 AM
I have never flown AA so I can't speak to their service but I love Southwest. I don't mind not having assigned seats but my daughters are 13 and 18 so it's not a big deal if we aren't all seated together and we nearly always end up with A or B boarding passes so sitting together is never a problem anyway. I like the free checked bag deal. SW and AirTran are the only 2 airlines from Pittsburgh with nonstop flights to Orlando - a huge plus for me. They also seem to stick to their published schedule and not bump from flights as often as other airlines in my past experience.

If I had to choose based on the situation you presented, I'd probably opt for the AA direct flight and pay the baggage fees rather than take a flight with a stop (even with no plane change) just to get there sooner and spend less time on the plane.

ASweetLov
07-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I have never flown Southwest because like you the no assigned seats freak me out. I have always used Delta out of Logan International Airport in Boston. Its a direct flight and I can choose my own seats. I don't really care about paying for luggage since I am getting what I want and feel comfortable with.

If I was in your situation I would go with American Airlines.

vicster
07-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Love Southwest!!! We've never had a problem with no seat assignments - not saying that can't happen but we try to always use Southwest.

Itchy
07-07-2013, 11:25 AM
I have flown both AA and Southwest. I personally like Southwest over AA. If you fly Southwest I would do the early bird check in for the $12.50 extra. They will check you in before the others that do not use the service. We have always been in the very first group to board and have out pick of the seat we like.

I do not like stops or plane changes like you but does the cost out weigh the short layover.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

Fangorn
07-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Southwest is my favorite airline, and I fly on them whenever possible - even if it means changing planes (which from Portland, it nearly always does). I've flown all the others, including AA. Southwest is by far the best, imho.

For me, the key reason for going with Southwest is consistency. It is extremely rare (except for weather issues) for a SW flight to be delayed. If they say they are leaving a 7am, they will leave at 7am (possibly before). That cannot be said for AA. Even with stops, SW will usually arrive earlier than the posted time.

I can understand the 'concern' over not having assigned seats, but it's really not that big of a deal. If you check-in right at the 24 hour mark it's highly unlikely that you'll be in the C boarding group - the only group where your seat choices become limited to center seats. If it really bothers you, opt for the Early Bird option ($12.50) and you'll be checked in automatically and won't have to worry about it.
Also, based on your description, I'm guessing the flight you're looking at is the 7am flight from LAX to MCO. The stop on that flight is in Phoenix, so at that time of the morning, there will be a LOT of people getting off the plane in Phoenix. As a through passenger, once those folks have gotten off, you'll be free to change you seat if you want.

The combination of great service, no baggage fees and consistency of schedule vastly outweigh any issues I might have regarding an extra stop.

Finally, there's a reason that SW has been profitable every year for the past 40 years - and why AA is in bankruptcy court.

Steve

MargaretMessler
07-07-2013, 04:16 PM
It's been a long time since I flew any other airline besides SW, but I don't think I would ever go back to another (unless SW was not available for my destination), for all the reasons stated above.

I have never been late on a SW flight, and have in fact arrived early multiple times.

Assuming you have two bags, that's another $100 on top of your fare. I prefer to switch planes if necessary and spend that while at my destination.

As for the early bird, everyone has a different view on if it's necessary. But I would not pay it unless I was travelling with small children or a disabled/elderly person. On a recent trip, I went regular on the way down to MCO and early bird for the return. I got only a SLIGHTLY better position with early bird.

Food for thought, early bird does you no good if you happen to be flying with a lot of business select (not sure if that's what it's called exactly) because they board first no matter what.

Sounds like you might be more comfortable with AA, but I would suggest giving SW a try.

KylesMom
07-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I am another who prefers Southwest Airlines over either United or American. I agree with the above statement regarding timeliness, but I have also received much better customer service from them. When I travel solo, I don't worry about early bird checkin - but when I travel with my family, I ensure we do so that we can sit together. :mickey:

mickeyd
07-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I ended up booking with AA, as I caught a price drop - down to $184 non stop LAX to MCO. Even paying for the bag, this works out cheaper than SW. The other deciding factor was that the SW flight left at 7am, while AA left at 8:30am - so a little more time in bed. And SW had a stop, so less travel time on AA and we get to MCO a bit earlier.

But I hope to travel SW some day to experience their service.

ThanxForNoticin
07-12-2013, 05:19 PM
A nonstop flight is always a big plus - I'd even pay a few extra bucks for that! Have a safe trip and a fun time.

AZ Disney
07-16-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm a little biased since my husband is a Southwest Pilot - go SWA! You'll love flying them and no seat assignments is a breeze....just check in early and you'll be good to go. Funny thing, we just came back from Europe and obviously couldn't fly SWA and it was so strange to me to have an actual seat assigned - I love the choice.