PDA

View Full Version : Question on an antique - removing odor

WDW&MK
07-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Hello,

I am cleaning out my mom's house as she is in a nursing home. There is an old curio cabinet/desk combo from my great-grandma. This piece was in storage for a number of years and developed a horrible old mildew/musty smell :ack: so that the desk part is really unusable (the desk part has a drop down writing surface and 3 pull out drawers). I feel terribly obligated to keep it as my mother was very adamant that we need to keep it in the family.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this smell out?? I think it developed in storage because we live in Wisconsin and besides having the heat and humidity in the summer and the cold in the winter, the storage unit was by a lake adding to the humidty issues.

Thank you!!
Kari

Capt_redshirt
07-04-2013, 10:55 PM
There are many ways to get rid the smell. first i would remove it from the humidity as quick as possible. The next thing I can recommend would be to use wood soap on the furniture. then the final thing i would do is put a container of coffee grounds or charcoal in the drawer to remove what's left. If you ever have any questions involving antiques please send me a message. My parents and I both deal with antiques we would be glad to help if possible

GusNJacque
07-05-2013, 12:10 AM
My parents have been in the antique business since before I was born and I will be 48 in 9 days. He'll know what to do.

wildernesslady
07-05-2013, 08:56 AM
We had a similar situation with a piece from my MIL after she passed away. We washed it with Murphy's oil soap. Kept it in the garage for a little to air out and brought it into the house. It has lost most of the scent after about a month.

AvaNellMouse
07-06-2013, 12:07 PM
You might try apples - our ranching family members keep apples in their trucks to absorb the manure odor and it works great! Whole apples - not cut up, k? :thumbsup:

WDW&MK
07-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Thank you for all of the info!! I will definitely try these suggestions when I get the piece home. I guess I'll start with the wood soap and then go from there. I have never heard of some of your suggestions.

Thank you very much!!
I appreciate all of the help :number1:
Kari