PDA

View Full Version : Do Those Cool Wraps Really Work?....

mickeys_princess_mom
06-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Have seen Enduracool Wraps that are supposed to stay cool after you wet them, and was wondering if they are really helpful to ease the heat. Thought they were kind of pricey (whatever brand was at the hardware store where I stopped), but I was thinking in the middle of August I might be wishing I had bought them for the parks... ;) How well do they work? And do they drip?

SBETigg
06-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I've seen people swear by these, and we bought them to try. They were okay, but my whole family felt pretty dorky wearing them and decided the benefit was limited and not worth the hassle. The spray fan cool mister things worked better for us, and they did make a big difference. But again, the hassle of carrying them around lost to the ease of doing without.

disney obsessed
06-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I have found that they don't stay cool long and then you just have wet fabric on your skin. I prefer the spray bottle with a fan.

AvaNellMouse
06-30-2013, 05:04 PM
I take an empty travel size spray bottle in my day pack. I can fill it with cool water and spray my face, arms and legs for major relief from the Florida heat. I have never really embraced the fan/sprayer idea - seems cumbersome IMHO.

SBETigg
06-30-2013, 05:57 PM
I take an empty travel size spray bottle in my day pack. I can fill it with cool water and spray my face, arms and legs for major relief from the Florida heat. I have never really embraced the fan/sprayer idea - seems cumbersome IMHO.

Nell, there's a company that makes a streamlined model and it's very portable. But we prefer not to even take bags into parks, so... not for us, but great for some. I bought mine on Amazon, and they were recommended here by PirateLover (Maryanne). Maybe she will come along with the company. The name escapes me now.

badkitty
06-30-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a small mister/fan a found at Walmart by O2 Cool. It has a clip and is rather convenient. They also have a large version similar in size to the Disney one.

I like the neckwrap but I agree with the PP that it doesn't stay cool very long and then it just becomes a nuisance.

BTW, this is my 2000th post!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I have a small mister/fan a found at Walmart by O2 Cool. It has a clip and is rather convenient. They also have a large version similar in size to the Disney one.

I like the neckwrap but I agree with the PP that it doesn't stay cool very long and then it just becomes a nuisance.

BTW, this is my 2000th post!

Congrats on the 2000th post! :wave: I actually have the little WM fan and a bigger Disney one. I clip the little one on my bag strap so I can pull it up if I want it. Not bad. Doesn't sound like these wraps are much of an advantage. Certainly not for $12.95 each! I don't want to be dragging a wet rag around if they're not going to stay cool.

thejens
07-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Check ebay. We got some handmade ones very inexpensive and are definitely easy to use and cooling if you are going in summer.

Also useful at sporting events etc.

thejens
07-01-2013, 12:33 AM
Realize I should clarify, they were not the same as the cool wraps, but similar idea. We got some water at water fountain, the neck wraps swelled as they absorbed water, and draped on our necks, kept us much cooler. I like them. I could not wrap them on my head etc. They just rest on our necks like a tie.

magicofdisney
07-01-2013, 09:03 AM
I've had them. Like others say, they simply do not stay cool. Ideally you'll prepare them using ice water, but the cooling effect doesn't last. Quicker than you'd like, they become body temperature and all value is lost. You can keep pouring ice water on them but for us it wasn't worth the effort.

Essentially they contain a crystal like substance that swells and softens after spending time in water. It takes much longer for them to release the water than absorb it. If you end up not using them, you're stuck accommodating these swollen, 2 foot tubes.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-01-2013, 09:15 AM
I live in Az and used to drive a school bus during the summer heat without air. I tried everything including cool wraps, found them to be disgusting. If you sweat on them like I did you will want to clean them. I know it says they can be washed but they don't clean very well. I found I did better by using a wet rag to wipe down my face and neck and as others have said they don't stay cool they become body temp real soon.

TheHD
07-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for this thread. I was about to purchase the cool towels as well for our upcoming trip, but maybe I should just stick to a spray bottle or convenient spray fan.

AZ Disney
07-01-2013, 02:07 PM
I live in Arizona and as a tennis player I cannot live without my Frogg Togg towel. I'm not sure why other posters do not like them, but they are wonderful IMO. You do need to wash them regularly like anything else and continue to wet them down. They are a lifesaver in the AZ heat.

magicofdisney
07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
I've had them. Like others say, they simply do not stay cool. Ideally you'll prepare them using ice water, but the cooling effect doesn't last. Quicker than you'd like, they become body temperature and all value is lost. You can keep pouring ice water on them but for us it wasn't worth the effort.

Essentially they contain a crystal like substance that swells and softens after spending time in water. It takes much longer for them to release the water than absorb it. If you end up not using them, you're stuck accommodating these swollen, 2 foot tubes.

I just realized I'm talking about something completely different here. I have no idea about the towels. I thought you meant a neck wrap. The towels may be more efficient.

MarkC
07-02-2013, 12:30 PM
As AZ Disney said, we have Frog Toggs as well. If you are out in the sun and it's very hot, these work very well. You occasionally have to run cool water on them but I figure it's better than getting sick or overheated, or cutting your vacation short if you are miserably hot. So yes, you may feel a little dorky but no one there knows you anyway. We take ours every trip we take in summer.

Momto2Princesses&1Pirate
07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Our family loves Frogg Togg towels. DS uses it ALOT when playing in baseball tournaments. He drapes it over his head (when they are up to bat and in the dugout). DD uses it when playing tennis to wipe her face and drapes it around her neck. They seem to stay cool for quite a while. If they start to get a little warm, cold water revitalizes it. We have found it takes a long time for it dry out and it doesn't have any gel or cilica or anything else that makes it "expand".

A baseball mom said she cut theirs in half length wise and made 2 out of one. That might work better to wear around your neck in the parks - cool and not cumbersome.

BrerGnat
07-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Those towels they sell at Lowe's are garbage. Just read the reviews online.

I purchased some Frogg Toggs this weekend at Bed Bath and Beyond and they were on sale for $9 each and then I used a 20% coupon so they were $7.20 each. Good deal. I will try them out here in VA before we head to FL in August. My main concern is how well they work when it's really humid.

Imalismom
07-03-2013, 10:12 PM
My mom (Mrs. Toot) uses them and loves them.

TheHD
07-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Those towels they sell at Lowe's are garbage. Just read the reviews online.

I purchased some Frogg Toggs this weekend at Bed Bath and Beyond and they were on sale for $9 each and then I used a 20% coupon so they were $7.20 each. Good deal. I will try them out here in VA before we head to FL in August. My main concern is how well they work when it's really humid.

Bust them out now and let us know if you like them. :D