PDA

View Full Version : TikiFamily Summer Surprise Pre-Trip Planning

TikiGoddess
06-29-2013, 07:37 AM
Hi all!

So we took our big yearly Disney trip in April this year. We usually go in the summertime but tried something new this year. Well, we're still headed to Florida this summer -- to Tampa to visit my in-laws. We'll be there for about a week.

My 10 yr old daughter (and well, yes, my 8 yr old daughter too) has been sighing and saying, "I wish we could go to Disney when we're at Grandpa's house..." My husband and I have told her flat out "no, we went in April". And my husband actually believed that... but I knew if I worked on him, he would let us go for a short trip.

So.... my efforts have paid off. Me and the girls will be headed to Orlando for two days and one night!! Hubby will stay at his dad's house, as he had foot surgery in late June and will still be recuperating.

I plan on waking the girls up at zero-dark thirty (okay, 5am) and surprising them. Maybe play the 'wake up call' from Mickey that you get at a Disney resort? Any other jazzy ideas?

We'll head out around 6:00am, stop and get breakfast, and hopefully arrive at Pop Century around 8am. We'll check in, drop our bag(s), and hop on the bus to Magic Kingdom. We didn't get to ride Space Mountain in April, so that will be our #1 priority.

I'm thinking we'll come back to the resort in the afternoon to swim, then head out to Epcot for the evening. I wish there was some way we could get on Soarin' or Test Track in the evening, without doing standby waits.

The next day we'll have a leisurely breakfast, check out, then head over to Typhoon Lagoon for the morning. Heading back to Tampa in the early afternoon so we beat afternoon rush hour traffic.

A short visit, but any time in Disney is golden!

Kathy

faline
06-29-2013, 10:34 AM
What a great surprise! Enjoy your mini vacation!

disneymom15
06-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Sounds like fun.

AgentC
06-29-2013, 08:02 PM
How fun! Have a wonderful time.

Katzateer
06-30-2013, 07:42 AM
Sounds great- have fun!:thumbsup::mickey:

January-2007
06-30-2013, 08:55 AM
What a wonderful surprise! Have fun!

BriarRose0708
07-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Oh yay! What a super fun surprise!!!:mickey:

mydisneygirls
07-02-2013, 10:00 AM
How exciting!!!!! You know, while at Epcot one night last trip, we walked on Soarin' over and over. Must have gone on 3 or 4 times. Of course, this was during Illuminations which we saw on another night.

RedSoxFan
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Have fun. Short trip is better than none!!:mickey:

Melanie
07-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Great surprise for your girls, Kathy! :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
07-02-2013, 04:38 PM
How fun! Have a great time!!!

minnie04
07-03-2013, 09:10 AM
What a great surprise!! Have a good time :mickey:

DisneyorBust
07-06-2013, 06:41 PM
What a great surprise for your girls! And for you as well, enjoy!

VWL Mom
07-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Just tell DH to make sure his parents don't blurt it out (ie: asking when are you leaving for Disney). Definitely something mine would do. Have a wonderful time with your girls!

TikiGoddess
07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Update to original post:

We've changed a few details.

1. New hotel: I got a great rate at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek. For one night, I think we can forgo Disney theming for a pool that has a lazy river and rooms that are deluxe-level-for-a-value-price. Kids also eat free at the breakfast buffet, which will be nice before we head over to Typhoon Lagoon.

2. Surprise: I've decided that telling the girls the morning that we leave is probably not the best idea, since my 8 yr old needs time to adjust to change. So in the next week or so, I'm going to host a "Duffy Picnic" -- the girls and their Duffy Bears will join me for a picnic. There will be special treats to eat, and a letter to the bears telling them our plans for Florida.

KylesMom
07-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Knowing how much the girls love Duffy, I think you've made an excellent choice on the surprise news! I know you'll have a GREAT time!:mickey:

TikiGoddess
07-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Update:

We had the "Duffy" picnic today!! The girls were totally excited at the prospect of time at WDW, even if it was only 2 days. I asked my 8 yr old to read the "Sunday itinerary" to us, and she had this puzzled look on her face when she said, "Magic Kingdom??" Then they figured it out. My 10 yr old has been asking to go to Typhoon Lagoon for years now, so her eyes lit up when she saw the paper saying "Monday: Typhoon Lagoon".

We've already talked about what rides are priorities for us and the overall plan. They're also excited to try a new hotel, even though it's not really a Disney hotel. One look at the pool area picture and they were sold. Actually, I was telling my 8 yr old about the breakfast buffet (kids eat free with paying adult) and she said, "Do they have sausage and bacon?" I said, yep, it's like Crystal Palace breakfast. Then she said, "Okay, we'll definitely stay there."

Kathy