PDA

View Full Version : Tipping on your cruise

Jeri Lynn
06-28-2013, 06:08 AM
I am a first time cruiser and will be on the Disney Dream in November for 3 nights.

This is all new and foreign to me.

We have prepaid our tips in our package. What other things should we be prepared to tip for?

If you get a drink at the bar, and it is charged to your room, do they add the tip in, or should I tip right then?

What about any of the places that you might pick up snacks during the day, are they self serve or is there someone there to serve you?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I"m trying to read and learn as much as I can.

We are looking forward to this three night cruise and then 5 nights at AKL!:mickey:

Ed
06-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Drinks from the bars have the tip automatically added.

It's customary to tip the person who delivers room service in cash.

Also, at the port tip the porter who handles your luggage $1/$2 per bag. If you have a porter bring your bags to your vehicle after the cruise, tip is appropriate then also.

Basket Mommy
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM
We also tipped our wait staff (head waiter, assistant and their immediate supervisor) extra (in cash, on the last night) because we felt they deserved more than the automatic gratuity. We did the same for our cabin steward.

Jeri Lynn
07-01-2013, 08:43 AM
thanks for the replies!!

GMRO
07-24-2013, 09:44 AM
You can tip the room service person, if you order food to be delivered, on your room account. We did. Just sign the slip – it will be ZERO for the food and add a tip. For us we can better track what we spend this way since it is listed on your room invoice/check out paperwork.

Our tips are pre-paid on our trip as you mention. BUT we do carry a few bucks for what others have mentioned for cash tips for porters - etc. AND usually IF our roomsteward is very good or our servers at dinner we tip them more via cash. We've had them take our dress clothes for pressing and they do a great job of pick up and deliver of it. Once our guy hung them in our closet and had our dinner stuff laid out for us as he remembered what clothes we were wearing for dinner that night per our conversation. We tipped extra for that when we saw him. And at dinner our servers were outstanding so we tipped more as well. REMEMBER that is part of their YEARLY SALARY. IF they deserve it we tip more vs. the scale standard amount. We feel it’s only fair. And our bartenders at “Currents” – we had a great relationships with them. Though the tip is included we enjoyed the GREAT SERVICE we had and entertainment too so we tipped extra. Don’t get the wrong idea…its not like hundreds of $. But I think you get the idea.

ALSO - if you receive “plus’ed” service and you plan to tip extra - IMO don't wait for the last day to tip. On the last day – that’s when you put the tip vouchers in their envelopes to hand deliver to them. Basically we over tip as we go or as we say as the experience/service level warrants. This way you may even get a higher level of service while you are still on board. Not like they play for tips...but if you tip as you go I think your service level is higher.

Just our experiences and tip on tips. :)

DizneyRox
07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Personally, once a tip becomes a fee, that's it. Automatically adding it to your bill unless you specifically request otherwise in person at a very busy guest serices desk makes it a fee in my opinion.

I have never received anything but stellar service on board a ship (Disney or something else). We just tipped more before it became a fee.

Also make sure you use the comment cards. There is always room for improvement and that's a good avenue to provide that feedback.

CleveSJM
10-24-2013, 10:59 PM
You can tip the room service person, if you order food to be delivered, on your room account. We did. Just sign the slip – it will be ZERO for the food and add a tip. For us we can better track what we spend this way since it is listed on your room invoice/check out paperwork.

So what is a good example for tipping room service delivery?

GMRO
10-25-2013, 08:13 AM
So what is a good example for tipping room service delivery?

We tipped pending on what we ordered. I think we did between 5 and 8 USD.

Sometimes "Late Night" deliveries were just snacks - wings/cheese...a light delivery so the tip reflected that. In the AM if we ordered a larger delivery for breakfast...we were on the higher end of what I listed above.

Again the food is all included so for US - it was nice to have that room service so we tipped.

ALSO we had our clothes ironed by their service. They picked up and delivered our stuff. Prices are listed on the paper tag you place with your clothes. Based on that LOW fee I think we were on track with room service tip levels. JMHO...

GOOD LUCK!

CleveSJM
10-25-2013, 09:45 AM
:thanks:

NJGIRL
10-31-2013, 07:02 PM
We also tipped our wait staff (head waiter, assistant and their immediate supervisor) extra (in cash, on the last night) because we felt they deserved more than the automatic gratuity. We did the same for our cabin steward.

We did the same. I gave the cabin steward $50 altogether for the three of us on a three night cruise. Head waiter $45 and assistant waiter $35. The supervisor was given just what the suggested tip was....Never saw her until it was time for the tip.