PDA

View Full Version : Relationship between WDW & Swan/Dolphin

DunkinNut
06-27-2013, 10:22 AM
I've always known that Swan/Dolphin are non-Disney owned properties. Sheraton/Westin owns these two properties. We have been going there for 20 years (and just returned).

BUT...I noticed something different recently. You can make a ressie to stay at Swan/Dolphin THRU the WDW website. It's listed with their other properties. I was wondering if anyone knows what that is about?

We have been able to use our Starwood points to stay at Swan/Dolphin for YEARS. I worry that if Disney's contract (whatever that entails) changes, they may stop this or eventually make it so that you have to go thru Disney. Hmmm. I LOVE Disney, but would NOT like this. Anybody know what's going on?

TIA:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

SBETigg
06-27-2013, 10:47 AM
As long as they remain a Sheraton/Westin property, I imagine you would be able to go on using your points. Disney has a strong partnership with the resorts, but not ownership. I don't think that will change any time soon. Adding them to the reservation system is probably beneficial to both, but not something that will change anything as far as being able to also book through Swan/Dolphin directly and using your points.

There are lots of non-Disney owned restaurants on property that work the same way. T Rex, Rainforest Cafe, and Yak and Yeti are all owned by the Landry chain, and you can use Landry's card options for discounts there, but they book independently or through Disney reservations. Also, Raglan Road. You can book a table there through Disney or Raglan Road's own website (or call). No reason for alarm, I think.

greengeen
06-27-2013, 05:54 PM
This isn't recent - Swan & Dolphin have had a presence on WDW's reservation system for years, under the designation "Other Deluxe Resorts". But never for discount booking (general discount, AP discount, Florida resident discount), which may account for most folks never noticing them. I figured out pretty quick that if I wanted a discount on Swan & Dolphin, or if I wanted to use Starwood points, booking had to be through the Sheraton/Westin webpages, not WDW webpages. So don't panic. It's not a sign that something is changing.

big blue and hairy
06-27-2013, 07:16 PM
The Swan and Dolphin, or as I like to call it, the Swalphin, is available on the WDW site for a very high price. You can almost always get a better rate through them. That's not going to change as long as they are not owned by Disney. They have their own website. [removed reference to website]

:sulley:

Scar
07-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Slightly off topic, but just info for anyone who wants to know.

The hotels are on Disney property. They were built by, and still owned by, Tishman (a deal that was made when Tishman built EPCOT Center.) They are managed by Starwood subsidiaries Westin and Sheraton.