PDA

View Full Version : Down day - go to the beach?

Momto2Princesses&1Pirate
06-26-2013, 01:44 PM
We have been thinking about driving to Jetty Park (beach at Cape Canaveral) on our off day. We would have to rent a car at WDW for the day so I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle. I would love to hear others experiences of doing this. Thanks! :mickey:

Dream'nDisney
06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
It sounds fun, but we've never gone there. I don't know how many days you are at WDW, but there are many fun things to do on a down day without having to rent a car. For instance, on our down day last trip, we all slept in (something we NEVER due at WDW), went over to the mini golf place near the Dolphin and Swan, walked through those two hotels to see what they had to offer, my daughter got a pedicure at the hotel spa, and we relaxed by our pool at the YC. We had a lot of stress-free fun that day. Whatever you decide, I hope you have fun.

steamboat willy
06-26-2013, 03:55 PM
I agree with Dream'nDisney, so many relaxing, fun and memorable things to do on property WITHOUT getting "Out Of The Magic" and pay to get into the hectic traffic outside the resort area.
Pool Time, cool drink on the beach at another Resort, boat rides, horse ride, sailing, mini golf, movie & bowling. All without a rental car.
The options are endless.
Most of all...RELAX and ENJOY! Don't try to pack too much stuff in.

honeybear
06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
We have been thinking about driving to Jetty Park (beach at Cape Canaveral) on our off day. We would have to rent a car at WDW for the day so I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle. I would love to hear others experiences of doing this. Thanks! :mickey:

This is just my opinion, I say go ahead to the beach! If you want to have the beach experience then I say it is worth it. For me it is no hassle, becuase I love the beach!

caryrae
06-26-2013, 05:13 PM
This is just my opinion, I say go ahead to the beach! If you want to have the beach experience then I say it is worth it. For me it is no hassle, becuase I love the beach!

I agree never been a hassle for us either. Not living by an Ocean we always make time to go at least one day.

1DisneyNut
06-26-2013, 06:58 PM
It has never been a hassle for us either but we do drive down and have our own car. As long as the car rental isn't too much trouble, go for it. We went over to the Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach area on one of our days a couple of years ago. We explored the whole area and watched a cruise ship leave port. We ended up in Cocoa Beach and had a great time. Found a nice seafood restaurant on the ocean and had the best dinner of the trip too.

We usually go to one of the beaches one day on about every trip. We pick a different one each time. Last year we went to Siesta Key and it was nice but it did take about 2 hours to get there. We do it partly to see the ocean/beach and partly to find a nice seafood restaurant. We have enjoyed it every time.

chefmickey3
06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
We love to take a break and spend a couple of days at a beach. Our favorite is on the Gulf Coast - Clearwater area. The water is calm and easy to swim in as opposed to the Atlantic side. The Clearwater Marine Aquarium (home of Winter) is fun. And the seafood restaurants are amazing. We drive so we have our car but it would so be worth it even if we needed to rent a car.

buzznwoodysmom
06-27-2013, 11:14 AM
If your longing for a day at the beach then I definitely think it's worth it. I prefer the Gulf Coast beaches to the Atlantic beaches. The water is usually warmer and calmer.

However, if you feel the added expense of a rental and the time it'll take to be a hassle then keep in mind that there is plenty to do onsite on and off day.

We have planned to do a beach day several times, but we always end up staying in Disney. It's so nice to have a day to really sleep in and just relax. There are so many things in Disney that most guests never get around to doing that would be perfect for a relaxing day off from the parks.

Imalismom
07-03-2013, 10:14 PM
We love Jetty Park, and usually spend a day there with each trip.. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me....

Altair
07-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Go and see some of the real Florida, you're in for a treat. I love Disney, but I'm not married to it. :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
07-04-2013, 06:23 AM
Gulf coast is much nicer :) Clearwater Beach is pretty decent, especially at sunset. You might even see a pirate ship out on the water!

AndrewJackson
07-04-2013, 07:00 AM
We've gone to Clearwater and to Cocoa, not every vacation. Lately, there seems to be too much to do on property that the kids prefer to stay back.

I think you will enjoy the beach. You will have to decide if it is worth the hassle and cost of a rental car.

TheHD
07-04-2013, 03:31 PM
We went over to the Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach area on one of our days a couple of years ago.

We did the same back in 2000 on our first trip and the Kennedy Space Center. It was fun, but instead of going again in 2011, when we had a "free day", we decided to visit WDW resorts that we haven't been to before instead. Much easier and cheaper than renting a car for one day.

But then again, if you haven't been to the Kennedy Space Center, it's worth it at least once.

epceddie
07-05-2013, 03:32 PM
My wife and I love visiting WDW, but we like to get "away from it all" at times and explore offsite. We've been to the Orlando Peabody to see the march of the ducks and World of Citrus to pick oranges. We always rent a car and one of our best days ever was a fall trip to Daytona Beach. We just missed Biker Week, there was nobody there, and the weather was perfect. Spent the day walking on the beach and enjoying the old pier. Bought some t-shirts and had dinner at a really good Italian restaurant. Then, refreshed and recharged, we headed back to WDW to enjoy the resorts and the parks for the rest of our stay.

Disney Doll
07-06-2013, 04:22 PM
We did a day at Clearwater Beach a couple of years ago and we will definitely do it again. Fun day to play on the beach for a while, swim a little, and then eat at one of the local seafood places before heading back. I love the beach for the day and it's a nice break from all the activity of the parks.

We picked Clearwater on the recommendation of a friend who lives in that area and we were not disappointed. White sands, calm blue waters, not crowded, beach perfection!