PDA

View Full Version : First Solo Trip! I'm going to Disney! Pre-trip report

PopPhan
06-25-2013, 01:02 PM
After two years, a divorce, and some family 'drama,' I finally pulled the trigger and booked my first solo trip to WDW!!!

Thanks to Denise from Magical Journeys, and a nice sale on flights from Southwest, I am booked for 7 nights at Pop Century from December 4th thru December 11th!!!

Really looking forward to doing some things that I had not been able to do on previous trips - such as opening and closing each of the parks, taking full advantage of early and late EMH's. Not going to be doing the MVMCP, but that's OK, and not going to be on a dining plan, but will be using my accumulated Disney Rewards Visa points for counter service meals.

Now, it's time to sit down and plan everything out! LOL Knowing that this is the weekend for Christmas Parade taping, I know to avoid the Magic Kingdom on Friday and Saturday, but other than that anything goes.

Any tips for the solo traveler?

Mickey'sGirl
06-25-2013, 01:20 PM
I have no tips, but wanted to wish you happy planning! :thumbsup:

Dopey's Girl
06-25-2013, 04:41 PM
I've done a number of solo trips. I love them! The ability to do what you want, when you want is amazing!

Be sure to book yourself at least one nicer dinner. It's always nice to sit down and observe all the fun being had around you.

faline
06-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Enjoy your time at Disney!

You might want to consider spots that group people together for dining - for example, Teppan Edo and Biergarten. The last I knew is that the serve a full dinner menu at the bar at The Wave. You can also dine at the bar at the Tune In Lounge. I'm sure there are other locations as well but this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Being solo allows you to use the single rider lines on those rides that have them. I find you can also cover much more ground more quickly on your own than when you have companion(s) to consider so I'm sure you'll get lots done. (Not that I've done a solo trip - just basing this on some intermittent occasions when I've found myself solo in the parks from time to time).

Katzateer
06-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Solo trips are great!

My husband and I will be at pop the same week- maybe we can plan a meet when it gets closer.

Have fun planning!:thumbsup:

January-2007
06-26-2013, 10:07 AM
Happy planning.

T-Belle
06-26-2013, 10:21 PM
How exciting!! I did my 1st solo back in March and had a blast!! Going at my own pace, doing what I wanted to do and more importantly, not doing things I didn't want to do. My advice? Don't be afraid to talk to people. I had so many interesting conversations with people. Most of them were a little jealous of my being solo. Several times I just sat on a bench and tried to soak up as much of Disney Magic as I could. Especially at Epcot. It was just wonderful! I'm sure your going to love it!

emerzmom
06-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I have done a couple of solo trips to DL. Like others have already said you can do a lot more on your own. It was nice not to have to ask what anyone else wanted to do.
Happy planning!
:tink:
Julie

DisneyDINK
06-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm doing my first solo trip this September. I'm excited too. I already have the title of my Trip Report figured out - "I DINK Alone" :mickey:

DW and I will be there during the parade taping too. It will be our first time during the holidays. Can't wait!

PopPhan
06-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm doing my first solo trip this September. I'm excited too. I already have the title of my Trip Report figured out - "I DINK Alone" :mickey:

DW and I will be there during the parade taping too. It will be our first time during the holidays. Can't wait!

Now you've got that George Thorogood song going through my head!!!! :silly:

Great title though! :thumbsup:

As far as talking with other visitors goes...That has never been a problem! :D I will strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere - buses, queues, just walking about....Not overly extroverted, just friendly!

Katzateer -- we'll have to do that!!! I see you are already a "neighbor" (you list the PA Amish Country as your location,) it would be nice to meet up and chat.

AvonleaCF
07-02-2013, 08:50 AM
My third solo trip is coming up. When I want to go to WDW, and no one wants to or can go with me, I just pack up and go by myself!

Cons:
- No one to share the magic with
- No one to share the room cost with
- Can get a tad lonely
- A slight feeling of awkwardness going on ride after ride after ride saying "just one"
- Sitting alone at a TS restaurant feels a bit awkward with all the families around you (thank goodness for the Kindle app to keep you occupied!)

Pros:
- Can pick the resort
- Can pick all the ADRs/CS stops/snacks
- Have the entire room to yourself
- So easy to travel thanks to Magical Express and Disney transportation
- Relatively safe compared to other destinations
- So much to do you don't realize you're alone a lot of the time
- Only take bathroom breaks when you need them
- Only go on the attractions you want to go on
- Can go as fast or slow as you want
- No one to compromise with (want to get to the park and opening and stay until closing and do everything? Go for it! Want to take it slow and spend just a few hours at the park and then a few hours at the resort pool? Go for it!)
- Single rider lines where available
- Move at your own pace (especially good at AK on the trails)

I'd say the pros outweigh the cons. :)

DisneyorBust
07-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Having never done a solo trip, I don't have any tips, though I do like the points raised by AvonleaCF.
Here's hoping that you have a fantastic trip!
Let us know how it goes!

PopPhan
07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the info and well wishes!!!

I was thinking, on a lark, about getting one of the 1st Visit buttons and taking a black Sharpie and writing S-O-L-O right across the middle of it!! Just to see the reactions from CMs.....

DisneyorBust
07-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Great idea for the "First Visit" button! It is indeed something to celebrate.

T-Belle
07-08-2013, 05:56 PM
What a great idea! Have fun!

Kwesty
07-25-2013, 07:30 PM
I did one solo trip to Disneyland when I was in California for business. I'm a loner by nature and this was a dream day for me. (Although throughout the day, I kept feeling a tad guilty about it because my kids were at home.) You get through lines faster (single rider) and you can really enjoy all the things you enjoy most.

Also, minus kids it was so nice to travel the park with no whining and crying. I love my kids but it provides an entirely new perspective and level of enjoyment! It is almost like since you aren't surrounded by a group that there is certain level of peacefulness with everything you do.

I so want to do WDW solo one of these days -- have to find a reason to get down there alone:blush:

DisneyEpcotDad
07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
:mickey: I have done many solo trips. If you want to have dinner at restaurants that require reservation, I've noticed lately that at least on line you should make reservations for two to get a table. When I would put in table for one, nothing came up. But, when I added 2, mysteriously a table appeared. Don't most tables have 2 chairs!!!

Walk around the Epcot Resort area in the early evening as the sun is going down, for a nice relaxing walk before going back to experience the Fireworks show in Epcot.

Get as many Fastpasses as you can for your favorite attractions.

Go at a slow pace and enjoy each moment. Resort hop and visit the other resorts via the Disney bus system. Each resort features Christmas decorations unique to that resort. Of course visit the Christmas light decorations in Hollywood Studios! Enjoy the solo experience!
:mickey:

Cinderelley
08-15-2013, 08:14 PM
You are going to have a blast! Can't wait to read your trip report.

JoDisney
08-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Try Teppan Edo in Epcot to eat. You will sit with other people, as the chef cooks in front of you. It is great .

minnie04
08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Never gone alone, but everyone is making it sound so good. I might have to give it a try someday.. Hope you have a blast and remember to tell us all about it when you get back. :mickey:

Susan A
09-11-2013, 06:47 PM
I did a partial solo trip back in 2003.
My husband went to the Lotusphere conference in January, and there was NO I was going to stay home!!!
We went to two parks together, but while my husband was at the conference, I wasn't going to sit at the hotel.
I went to the MK alone all day. I sometimes felt a little lonely, but it wasn't too bad because I had been to Disney many times.
I had a great spot to view the fireworks, in front of the train station, because I could fit into any nook. Then, I left as soon as the show was over.