PDA

View Full Version : The Lone Ranger

Disney4us2
06-24-2013, 04:17 PM
I saw a special screening of The Lone Ranger yesterday (at DCA).

I loved it. I would love to see it again. Both lead actors were very good at their parts. Loved all the humor in the film. There is some violence, so the PG-13 rating is on cue. There were some parts where Jessica (13) did get a bit scared.

I really wasn't interested in seeing this movie. Now I am glad I had the chance to preview it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
I have some interest in the movie. Is it what they call "an origins" movie?

My biggest concern was Johnny Depp and how Tonto was going to be portrayed. Just seeing the outfit I have this fear of it being the Lone Ranger and his sidekick Capt'n Jack Sparrow rather than Tonto.

Good to hear a positive review.

Disney4us2
06-27-2013, 02:42 PM
It is really more of the story of Tonto, and is told by him. It goes back into his childhood. I really wasn't sure I would go to see this movie. Glad I was able to and look forward to seeing it again. Amongst the western violence is a lot of humor.

PirateLover
06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
Good to hear. From the previews, we weren't sure if we'd like it. Plus we've seen the same preview over and over and over. Maybe we'll give it a try.

MNNHFLTX
06-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Not sure what to think of this movie. To tell the truth, I'm "Depped out"--kind of wish Johnny Depp would do a normal role, instead of all the character roles. Guess I'll see what all the reviews say.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Not sure what to think of this movie. To tell the truth, I'm "Depped out"--kind of wish Johnny Depp would do a normal role, instead of all the character roles. Guess I'll see what all the reviews say.
I am not sure I want to see this movie. Having grown up with the Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels, Depps outlandish costume just puts me off. Also after watching the trailers I found myself bothered by the horse on the train. Did anyone else think it looked CGI? It just didn't look real to me. In the good old days Cowboys had well trained horses. Not to long ago they made 2 pretty good Zoro movies and I gotta say I just loved the horse especially in the 2nd movie. :mickey:

Mendelson
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
The 22% on Rotten Tomatoes as of today (granted, with only a handful of critics in) is not a good sign.

SBETigg
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
Good to hear. From the previews, we weren't sure if we'd like it. Plus we've seen the same preview over and over and over. Maybe we'll give it a try.

Exactly. I've been on the fence, too. It looked like it could either be really good or a total trainwreck. Wasn't sure which way it was going, but Marci, your review really helps. Oh, but the Rotten Tomatoes rating doesn't.

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm not even close to being on the fence.. I have no interest in this movie what so ever... The trailers are boring and provide nothing of interest that makes me say YES to this movie... Pacific Rim on the other hand...

Altair
07-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Also after watching the trailers I found myself bothered by the horse on the train. Did anyone else think it looked CGI? It just didn't look real to me.

I thought the entire trailer looked like CGI, it looked too fake.:(

NJDad
07-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Just read an article speculating that it's the next John Carter.

Disney4us2
07-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Exactly. I've been on the fence, too. It looked like it could either be really good or a total trainwreck. Wasn't sure which way it was going, but Marci, your review really helps. Oh, but the Rotten Tomatoes rating doesn't.

I was with you on the fence. If it wasn't for the screening, I probably would have no interest in seeing it.

It is by far not an Academy award winner. There were a lot of CGI scenes. It was so fake (insert stupid), that it was funny. It was a lot of humor mixed in with the western violence. I think the best "actor" was the horse...lol:horse: I enjoyed it and it entertained me. I am just one review and it is my take on it.

DizneyFreak2002
07-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Just read an article speculating that it's the next John Carter.

Who ever wrote that article may be in for a shock.. As much as this movie does not interest me, I have heard decent things about it from people I know who have seen it... John Carter did $60 million total right? I bet Lone Ranger does $60 million this week, through the weekend and will surpass John Carter...

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
We saw The Lone Ranger last night. Very funny movie with definitely a lot of action! Depp and Hammer work well together. Go see it this weekend if you get the chance!

readytogo2
07-07-2013, 12:22 PM
DW and I saw it last night ande I was reasy to leave after first 30 minutes way too much CGI ,story line so unbelievable and WAY WAY too long .we are both big Depp fans but thjs was just Capt Sparrow in a western very disappointed

I LoveJack
07-07-2013, 09:39 PM
DH and I saw it this afternoon and both liked it. It wasnt great but it was good and I would buy the movie when it comes out. It had a lot of funny spots in it and was a nice surprise to some of the other reviews that I had heard of.

DizneyFreak2002
07-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Wow, guess I was wrong... Looks like a major bomb... The previews really did make it look bad...

tinkwest
07-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I was more interested when I knew nothing about it. Once I started seeing the trailers I lost interest. I didn't know it was going to have so much humor and to me that doesn't fit what I expected from the Lone Ranger.

If you watch the original TV series now, yes you will think it is corny. But for its time it was completely serious, no jokes or made to make you laugh type of humor. That is what I was expecting of this movie I suppose. More of a serious tone.

Will probably still go see it.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
By the end of Wednesday, the $225 million film was off the rails. The Johnny Depp vehicle earned an abysmal $29 million through July Fourth, and $49 million for the normally lucrative holiday weekend.

Analysts, who had expected Ranger's numbers to be twice that amount, say a risky genre, a waning star and studio hubris left the creative team behind Pirates of the Caribbean holding what likely will be one of the year's more staggering flops.
========================================

I found this online article. Despicable Me 2 basically outperformed Lone Ranger 3-1 over the 4th of July weekend. Very soft opening over the holiday plus tepid reviews at best, pretty much = box office bomb (based on the $225M price tag). I'm guessing we won't be seeing LR2 anytime soon.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Its to bad its doing so badly. I wish they had done a better job with it. But seeing Depp with a dead crow on his head in white face was a bit to much for most people. It begs the question why didn't they get a real Native American to play Tonto (like Jay Silverheels). That would have given it some creditability. Also CGI doesn't make a good movie acting and a script do that. CGI or any special effect should only be there to enhance the movie. Just my :twocents:

Melanie
07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Yep. Big flop, much like I thought.

PirateLover
07-09-2013, 11:26 PM
We saw it. Honestly, I don't think it deserves the level of hatred it's received. Is it a GREAT script? No. Is it a bit too long? Yes. Is it over the top? Sure. But all in all, it's still a decent summer flick. I don't regret seeing it. I am not familiar with the radio or TV series other than pop culture references. Yes there is humor, but it's not an over the top humorous take as many movie remakes of TV shows typically are. Our theatre was sold out and some people actually clapped at the end... I wouldn't go that far, though ;)

DizneyRox
07-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Walked out on the movie... It was on the Dream so I didn't even have to pay to see it and wouldn't suggest anyone go.

It was one that the trailer changed my mind about seeing. When I heard about it, I didn't get excited saw the trailer and it looked pretty good. Goes to show you, your first instinct is usually right.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-15-2013, 12:11 PM
We saw it. Honestly, I don't think it deserves the level of hatred it's received. Is it a GREAT script? No. Is it a bit too long? Yes. Is it over the top? Sure. But all in all, it's still a decent summer flick. I don't regret seeing it. I am not familiar with the radio or TV series other than pop culture references. Yes there is humor, but it's not an over the top humorous take as many movie remakes of TV shows typically are. Our theatre was sold out and some people actually clapped at the end... I wouldn't go that far, though ;)

I'm not following the movie on any message boards, other than occasionally this one, but I think a lot of the "anti" feeling gets generated not necessarily by the review of the movie, but the eventual box office receipts. Like John Carter, LR had a huge budget, and with any movie with that large of a budget comes huge expectations, which often do not get met.

By Disney standards, like John Carter, the LR was a swing and a miss. As you said, probably not a terrible movie (I haven't seen it yet) and probably not deserving of getting trashed, but because it tanked $$$ wise, it gets all the bad and little of the good.

On a side note, I did like John Carter and by chance it was on Encore last night and saw most of it again. Great movie, nope, good movie - yes, like LR, did it recover its $200+ million budget, not even close.

barnaby
07-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Saw it and didn't think it was that bad. About a 45 minutes too long but other then that the story was pretty decent and it held my interest.

Carol
07-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Saw it and actually enjoyed it. :shrug:

Mickey'sGirl
07-16-2013, 09:05 AM
I honestly think that it's the cowboy theme. I just don't think the younger set is "into" cowboys. Remember "Cowboys and Aliens" (Daniel Craig and my boyfriend Harrison Ford) ..... It tanked too. We all liked it, and even bought the movie when it came out. I just think that cowboys have had their ride.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-16-2013, 05:40 PM
We saw it. Honestly, I don't think it deserves the level of hatred it's received. Is it a GREAT script? No. Is it a bit too long? Yes. Is it over the top? Sure. But all in all, it's still a decent summer flick. I don't regret seeing it. I am not familiar with the radio or TV series other than pop culture references. Yes there is humor, but it's not an over the top humorous take as many movie remakes of TV shows typically are.

Well said. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but DD didn't so much. I agree with another poster that many of the younger generation are just not familiar with westerns and may be put off by that. Johnny was terrific, and yes---there were many nods to Pirate movies, especially if you're very familiar with them. ;) His character, the costuming, several action shots and scenes--many similarities--I loved every bit. I do think you could have cut about 30 minutes out of the movie and it would have been much better. The actors had fun with their characters, and I don't think the movie was trying to be a duplicate of the series. I'd go again. :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
07-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Wow, LR is doing worse than John Carter... I did not think anything would ever do that bad..

Quoted from another site:

John Carter: $250M Budget (not including marketing) - $282.7M Earned Worldwide

The Lone Ranger: $215M Budget (not including marketing) - $119.4M Earned Worldwide (so far)