PDA

View Full Version : Bedbugs at Disney Pop Century

Poohbear88
06-22-2013, 11:49 PM
We just had friends come back from Pop Century a few weeks ago and now they have bedbugs. Has anyone heard of Disney having bed bug problems?:confused:

Polynesian Dweller
06-23-2013, 12:36 AM
We just had friends come back from Pop Century a few weeks ago and now they have bedbugs. Has anyone heard of Disney having bed bug problems?:confused:

Sure there have been some reports but that doesn't mean it's a problem there. In fact they deal with them as well as anyone in the business. But yeah, they are no more immune than anywhere else, but they clean and deal with the problem very well.

You say a few weeks ago. If they got them at Disney they should have noticed bites there, not weeks later. These were likely picked up somewhere else.

Bed bugs can be picked up anywhere not just hotels. For example, they have been found in movie theaters, luggage that comes in contact with infested luggage on a plane and so on. Really, any where people and animals go and carry them.

SBETigg
06-23-2013, 11:37 AM
You can even pick up bedbugs by things delivered to your house from a store with an infestation. Disney has had its share of bedbug issues like any other vacation place. Gross as they sound, bedbugs are not a cleanliness issue. They come in with guests and they're extremely hard to get rid of without proper treatments. Disney needs to be alerted of the issue while on premises so they can go over the rooms in question and treat them immediately.

But the way you've put this-- that your friends came home a few weeks ago and now they have bedbugs. This sounds like something that could have happened anywhere else or from another source. Did they have bites/see evidence of bedbugs while at Pop Century, and if so, have they alerted management of the issue?

faline
06-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Begbugs are an increasing issue and a concern of all hotel operators everywhere. Additionally, as also has been noted, there are other sources for bedbugs as well. They could arrive in the luggage of an overnight guest to your home; or from a delivery from on infested source etc.

Regardless of where I stay now, the first thing I do when I enter the room is to search for evidence of bedbugs in the bedding. Even this is not foolproof as other areas of the room could be infested such as the sleeper sofa or chair in the corner of the room.

olivegirl
06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Hotel Lake Buena Vista, the one in Downtown Disney? We are staying there for vacation in August. Just looking for some feedback.

DizneyFreak2002
06-23-2013, 06:41 PM
If anyone is concerned about reported bed bug issues at ANY hotel, check out bed bug registry online...

SBETigg
06-23-2013, 11:07 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Hilton Hotel Lake Buena Vista, the one in Downtown Disney? We are staying there for vacation in August. Just looking for some feedback.

Yes, have stayed there but not recently. The staff was fantastic and our room had an incredible view. We could see fireworks from parks. I could see the red roof of the GF, made me smile. Rooms were well done, spacious and modern with nice balconies. We loved it. Except, we really like our usual deluxes and were only there one night before we transferred to the GF. Still, I probably could have happily spent a whole vacation there. We had dinner at the Benihana, fun meal, good food. Walkways to Downtown Disney and easy access to buses there. I hope you have a great stay.

DonLefNY
06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Pesky bugs. They can even get in your bags in the airport or plane cargo hold from other bags.

Mousemates
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Sooner or later all hotels will deal with bedubgs...they are an unavoidable issue that generally has little to do with sanitation. (I.e. as with other critters that live off human hosts there is no shame in getting them, only in keeping (and ultimately spreading) them once you know you have them).

So yes bedbugs will crop up from time to time at Walt Disney World (especially given the number of domestic and internaitonal travelers that arrive by airlines where everyone's bags are stored together for hours in the hold of a plane, a magical express bus and then bell services) , but when they do crop up be assured that Disney will typically take the issue quite seriously and attempt to deal with them rapidly.

A few years ago we had an issue with bites in a room at POFQ and while it took a while to get a response (word of advice: when you have a room issue at WDW go to the fornt desk and don't use the button on your in-room phone which sends you to an off-resort call center), the response was thorough when it came. (I.e. complete search of room, stripped room of all bedding, treated room, moved us, etc).

This was actually our second direct encounter with bedbugs...the other was non-disney (in central Iowa of all places) at an almost brand new Hampton Inn). We are now meticulous bedbugs checkers upon entering any lodging. It takes time and is a hassle, but after having talked with some folks who brought some home with them (and heard firsthand the emotional and financial toll bedbugs have on a family) the inconvenience of checking seems a small price to pay.

A little diligence here is worth the effort and takes much of the worry out of the issue (if this is the kind of thing that would weigh heavy on your mind).

Pop Centurion
06-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Pesky bugs. They can even get in your bags in the airport or plane cargo hold from other bags.
Agreed. It's a shame because often people get bed bugs this way but automatically assume they came from their hotel. They then bad mouth the place online causing others to panic.
Personally I've never had any problems with bed bugs at Pop or the other two resorts we've stayed in. My brother-in-law works for orkin and he's told us some horror stories so my wife is very thorough when checking for them once we check-in.

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
There have been recent, very recent, in fact within the last week recent, of bedbugs in rooms in Kidani Village and Pop Century...

Just do your best to check the room when you enter... If you see any little sign, alert the front desk.. they will move you and get exterminators there to do what they can.. Unfortunately, no hotel is immune...

mom2morgan
06-30-2013, 01:38 AM
someone I know checked in at one of the moderates did the bed check on check in and found what they suspected were bedbugs. They went right back to the front desk, where they were promptly given a different room. After dropping their bags off they headed back towards the pool and passed their first room, and the mattresses were already being taken out and a team was in the room.

Polynesian Dweller
06-30-2013, 11:28 AM
someone I know checked in at one of the moderates did the bed check on check in and found what they suspected were bedbugs. They went right back to the front desk, where they were promptly given a different room. After dropping their bags off they headed back towards the pool and passed their first room, and the mattresses were already being taken out and a team was in the room.

Yep, Disney is one of the best. And that's what to really expect from a hotel, a quick, efficient and appropriate response. No hotel can fully prevent them but all should be expected to respond well to a report.

brie9877
07-10-2013, 08:59 AM
not sure if this would work, but does anyone think spraying our luggage with a bed bug spray would help with prevention during flight?

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-10-2013, 01:38 PM
not sure if this would work, but does anyone think spraying our luggage with a bed bug spray would help with prevention during flight?

Wouldn't hurt