PDA

View Full Version : Boardwalk Review

WDWParrothead
06-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Prior to this particular stay, the Boardwalk had always been a part of the scenery for me, albeit an extremely nice part of the scenery. In fact, the Boardwalk Resort Area is one of my absolute favorite areas in all of WDW, particularly at night when everything is lit up and festive. Despite all of this, I never felt inclined to actually stay at the Boardwalk, instead staying at almost every other resort around the lake. (I'm a bit of a Disney purist, so I've always left out the Swan and Dolphin). Admittedly, the YC is my favorite and usually got my vote.

I think I assumed the Boardwalk was going to be noisy, crowded, and the rest of the resort would take a backseat to all of the activity on the Boardwalk itself. Wow, was I ever wrong.

Even if you aren't staying here, it is worth taking a walk around the grounds. Everything is immaculate and much more expansive than you probably expect, especially if you are like me and never ventured past the lobby. The areas around the quiet pools are beautifully landscaped and very quiet, despite being on the other side of the Boardwalk. The grounds in this area (on the Inn side) remind me of a grand Southern Manor, which I never expected.

The pool area has some really beautiful and established trees that have some of the best shade you could ask for. I did not expect this and had a great time lounging by the pool.

The Belle Vue Lounge is one of the best themed hotel bars/lounges at WDW. They really nailed this one, with the period pieces and the furniture. Great place to relax and unwind, especially on the balcony.

The rooms are extremely nice and have a cozy feel to them. Might seem silly, but I can see why they chose to call it the Boardwalk "Inn" and not "Resort" after seeing the rooms (hopefully that made sense). The beds are especially nice.

The CMs at the BW kept the place beautiful. Nothing was out of place or dirty the whole time we were there.

There are only a few negative things I discovered about staying here. First, a lot of folks have said the hallways are very long. They are. And then some. For most people, it ends up becoming pretty funny about how far you have to walk to get to your room from the lobby. Not a deal breaker though, especially since there will be a very nice room waiting for you at the end. However, a word of caution for anyone with mobility issues- it would really benefit you to request a room close to the lobby if you think you'll need it.

Second, if it is raining it becomes almost impossible to grab food and/or drink without getting wet because you have to go outside to access any of the restaurants. The Belle Vue Lounge is the only food area that is totally accessible from indoors. Having everything outside makes for a great fit with the Boardwalk theme, just make sure you have a umbrella handy (or ponchos).

Third, and this one may be trivial for some or downright terrifying for others. And that is the infamous clown slide. (Disclaimer: I hate clowns). My issue isn't with the person who came up with the idea for the clown slide, my issue is with the person who went the extra step and decided to have the clown's eyes light up at night. That's right...THE EYES LIGHT UP AT NIGHT! So just a friendly heads up- especially if it's your first night there, you decide to have a few drinks watching Illuminations and then expect to have a calm walk back to your room and you hate clowns- you're in for a rude awakening (like me!). More funny than a true complaint about the place. It's just perplexing to me that the themed slides at WDW Deluxe Pools include a volcano (cool), a pirate ship (even cooler), and a clown's mouth. Oh well, I'm guessing they kept that one from Eisner when the Boardwalk was built.

All in all, I felt I've overlooked a really cool resort for a long time. It is definitely worth considering, especially if you're like me and always go the YC/BC route. (Don't get me wrong, the YC is still my favorite). Hope you enjoyed, just felt sharing after a long work week!

VWL Mom
06-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Darn clown, gets me every time!

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at BWI. We've stayed at the villas and liked the grounds a lot. I do agree that the not having dining options inside is a drawback but like you, we deal with it.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Clowns, why does it have to be clowns:eek:

Mickey'sGirl
06-22-2013, 09:27 AM
A fabulous and very complete review! The BoardWalk is my very favourite place to be (other than at home) and I think you captured it well. We also love the Belle Vue (and the margaritas from there) ... and yes my great big 6'4" 15 yr old son is completely freaked out by the creepy clown slide. :) Thanks for your post!

AgentC
06-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Great review. We always avoided Boardwalk too. We went for the first time last December and loved it.

Strangely enough my 7 and 5 year olds loved the Clown slide. Go figure! :shrug:

Aurora
06-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for such a well-written review. It made me want to go back right now!

The Boardwalk is one of my entire family's favorite resorts, for all the reasons you mentioned (except that because we're DVC, we stay on the Villas side). The one thing for me that ALWAYS makes me second-guess whether to book there is that danged clown pool. For a resort that's so desirable, that stupid clown really puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Luckily, even with water views, we haven't had to look at it from our room. Our last time we were in the back of the slide and it sure was nice! :party:

moe513
06-22-2013, 07:56 PM
I have stayed in all three of these resorts also and like the bwi the best. I much prefer the location and the ease to walk to dhs. I am not a fan of the boats that transport you around cresent lake. Once I tried the bwi I have not wanted to stay any where else. I also enjoy being close to all the food and shops on the bw.

DisneyGiant
07-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Fantastic Review!!!!

I bought at SSR - but have never stayed there - I consider the Boardwalk to be my "home away from home."

Often, I see the same front desk cast members - who after I remember them - pretend to remember me. :)

Not only is a beautiful, comforable, quiet, cosy resort (despite the long hallways) - you can WALK INTO EPCOT!!!!! So handy for eating dinner in World Showcase. And you can easily stroll over to its sister resort for other recreational activities (and Beaches & Cream with the Kitchen Sink).

You really can't go wrong with staying at the Boardwalk - despite the clown :cloud9: