PDA

View Full Version : Main street bake shop

Disney-Nut
06-18-2013, 05:59 PM
I always loved to get the French toast loaf. Now that its a starbucks (:ack:) can i get this any where else on Disney property?

duck51
06-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I asked the Main Street Bakery worker Feb 2012 if they had the french toast and she said they discontinued making it (to be eaten at the bakery). She thought maybe one of the resorts would have it. She and I both regretted the loss.

And now I read that the big Cinnamon rolls will not be served at the Bakery either. You have to get it at Gaston's Tavern. I had them at Gaston's (in Fantasyland) and they are good but it is quite a distance to walk if you wanted it for breakfast first thing in the park.

Figment!
06-18-2013, 08:48 PM
I always loved to get the French toast loaf. Now that its a starbucks (:ack:) can i get this any where else on Disney property? I'm not finding any recent reports of it elsewhere on property, but the recipe is available on-line.

For those wondering what is now available at the Main Street Bakery;

Some of the re-opening day items included Lemon Loaf bread, Banana Walnut Loaf bread, multiple varieties of coffee cake (Classic, Cinnamon, Berry), scones, "seasonal" cake pops, peach muffins, red velvet cupcakes, peanut butter cupcakes, chocolate brownies, walnut brownies, oatmeal raisin cookies, sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies.

And now I read that the big Cinnamon rolls will not be served at the Bakery either. You have to get it at Gaston's Tavern. I had them at Gaston's (in Fantasyland) and they are good but it is quite a distance to walk if you wanted it for breakfast first thing in the park. Yes, this announcement was confirmed with today's re-opening.

SBETigg
06-19-2013, 10:06 AM
I hate to say it, but the list sounds like the regular Starbucks baked good offerings. Also, they have removed indoor seating, from what I've heard. Is it too much to ask that we get good coffee, the Main Street Bakery favorites that we love, and indoor seating for those super hot days? Apparently.

andypooh
06-19-2013, 10:26 AM
I own some Starbucks stock so I am certainly not here to bash them. However, I still cannot figure out why Disney made this change. It makes absolutely no sense. It takes away from the ambience of what is supposed to be a middle America Main Street from 1900, not 2013

TheDuckRocks
06-19-2013, 10:52 AM
I hate to say it, but the list sounds like the regular Starbucks baked good offerings. Also, they have removed indoor seating, from what I've heard. Is it too much to ask that we get good coffee, the Main Street Bakery favorites that we love, and indoor seating for those super hot days? Apparently.

WOW, Sheri you got it exactly! I don't drink coffee, but I could get tea. The Starbucks baked goods are fine but I can get them any day anywhere almost and the stuff before the change was always something I looked forward too. And the final nail in this coffin, so to speak, was no seating........are they crazy?

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Ugh, not a fan of the changes.

Dulcee
06-19-2013, 11:18 AM
As a loyal starbucks drinker I'm pleased with the change. The interior still has the disney feel, the starbucks logos (while present) blend in relatively well. They do offer some disney baked goods but more importantly I can now get a decent cup of coffee in the park...

Polynesian Dweller
06-19-2013, 12:44 PM
I own some Starbucks stock so I am certainly not here to bash them. However, I still cannot figure out why Disney made this change. It makes absolutely no sense. It takes away from the ambience of what is supposed to be a middle America Main Street from 1900, not 2013

The ambiance is still 1900, the shop is still styled that way and the CMs wear 1900's costume. One of the first sponsors, maybe first but at least 1980's was Sara Lee which started business in 1935 not really 1900 either.

It's now open and extremely popular by all picture and video reports so it'll stay and we all may as well get it used to it because its fine.

Melanie
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
It's now open and extremely popular by all picture and video reports so it'll stay and we all may as well get it used to it because its fine.

It will stay and will be very popular, I have no doubt. Can't wait to visit, and get back to the one at DCA. They are very well done, IMO.

Dopey's Girl
06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm bummed that seemingly so many of the baked goods are things I could get at any Starbucks. I loved the treats at the bakery. Having said that, I'm happy not to have to force down another cup of Nescafe however. Starbucks isn't the best coffee, but it's a step up from that sludge!

SBETigg
06-19-2013, 01:29 PM
It will stay and will be very popular, I have no doubt. Can't wait to visit, and get back to the one at DCA. They are very well done, IMO.

The one at DCA has gotten higher marks from some sites for maintaining more of the original feel of the place without overdoing the Starbucks image. I have no problem with Starbucks and I'm sure every attempt was made to keep the feel of the place, but... losing some of the more unique baked goods is a bummer and so is the loss of seating.

Then again, Starring Rolls has no indoor seating and they do fine over at DHS. I have heard the plan is to bring back some more of the Main Street Bakery favorites as time goes on. Overall, I'm sure it won't fail but there's bound to be some griping in transition.

Melanie
06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Tis true that there is an abundance of indoor seating at DCA. It's very nice. Hopefully that will be the case with the Epcot location as well. It does make you wonder why they did away with it at MK.

PETE FROM NYC
06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Personally, I refer to Starbucks as burnt swamp mud.
I may go in to look, but I doubt I will buy.

TinyDancer
06-19-2013, 06:46 PM
I only drink Starbucks coffee when I need the caffeine haha. So no more croissants or danishes I take it?

I think with the way Disney has redone some things, and how poorly they turned out (in my opinion only), this could have been WAY worse!

Figment!
06-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Also, they have removed indoor seating, from what I've heard.

... no seating........are they crazy?

... there is an abundance of indoor seating at DCA. It's very nice. ... It does make you wonder why they did away with it at MK.

The indoor seating appears to have been removed to allow for the second service line; essentially there are two "sides" now.

VWL Mom
06-19-2013, 08:18 PM
My family may be in the minority here but I'm looking forward to their Iced Coffee and DS18 and DS21 will probably pick up Frappuccinos on the way to SLeepy Hollow for Funnel Cakes.

8 Days and counting :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2013, 09:00 PM
I always loved to get the French toast loaf. Now that its a starbucks (:ack:) can i get this any where else on Disney property?

I used to love the French toast at the bakery, too, and wish the cinnamon rolls were still there. Sure, I love Starbucks coffee, but I will miss the original bakery a bunch.
You can get French toast at the Poly at Captain Cook's.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-19-2013, 09:01 PM
I haven't tried it, but I looked it up for you to make sure. French toast has been missing from the bakery for awhile.

Melanie
06-20-2013, 12:08 AM
The indoor seating appears to have been removed to allow for the second service line; essentially there are two "sides" now.

As there are at DCA. I guess they were just working with more space out west.

Kenny1113
06-20-2013, 07:35 AM
I am looking forward to the Starbucks coffee, but not at the expense of losing the bakery items. :(
DH loves to get a treat from the main street bakery when at MK.

I wonder what they will do with their piped aromas? What a dissappointment to smell the wonderful scents outside and enter to see Starbucks baked goods. :(

AvonleaCF
06-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if you can pay using your Starbucks pre-paid card or via the Starbucks iPhone app? Will regular Starbucks gift cards work?

Melanie
06-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know if you can pay using your Starbucks pre-paid card or via the Starbucks iPhone app? Will regular Starbucks gift cards work?

I used my iPhone app at California Adventure, so I don't see why it would be different at WDW.

PirateLover
06-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Not sure about the iPhone app, but I did see reports that Starbucks gift cards are not accepted; only Disney cards.

Hammer
06-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Not sure about the iPhone app, but I did see reports that Starbucks gift cards are not accepted; only Disney cards.

This is how it is in the Starbucks located at my local Target. You can use your app to pay for Starbucks items, but cannot use Starbucks gift cards.

big blue and hairy
06-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Overall, I'm sure it won't fail but there's bound to be some griping in transition.
Isn't there always? ;) Personally, I am thrilled that there is good coffee all over WDW between Starbucks and Joffrey's. I see this as a big improvement.

:sulley:

Donald Duck
06-20-2013, 11:48 AM
I still cannot figure out why Disney made this change. It makes absolutely no sense. It takes away from the ambience of what is supposed to be a middle America Main Street from 1900, not 2013

Couldn't agree more.

I didn't like it when they let in McDonalds and I don't like this either.
When I'm in Disneyworld I don't want to see anything from the "outside" world. Especially huge corporations.

:(

TheDuckRocks
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
When I'm in Disneyworld I don't want to see anything from the "outside" world. Especially huge corporations.

Thank you for my laugh of the day. I can't help it but this statement on a discussion board about maybe one of the biggest corporations in the world cracks me up. I love you fellow Duck person, thanks again.:thumbsup:

Melanie
06-20-2013, 12:22 PM

But, but.....huge, outside corporations at Disney parks have been a part of things from the very beginning. Walt would not have been able to build Disneyland without them.

Dopey's Girl
06-20-2013, 01:21 PM
But, but.....huge, outside corporations at Disney parks have been a part of things from the very beginning. Walt would not have been able to build Disneyland without them.

That's just what I was thinking. Without corportate sponsorships, we wouldn't have most of Future World in Epcot, and any number of other attractions around the resort and in CA.

joonyer
06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
That's just what I was thinking. Without corportate sponsorships, we wouldn't have most of Future World in Epcot, and any number of other attractions around the resort and in CA.

Yeah, never mind that of DL and MK's original attractions were built and maintained via corporate sponsorships. We don't mind WDW eateries selling Coca-Cola products, but we don't like them selling Starbucks. It's too new. We like old-fashioned stuff.

Melanie
06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
We don't mind WDW eateries selling Coca-Cola products, but we don't like them selling Starbucks. It's too new. We like old-fashioned stuff.

I guess I don't get this. :shrug: You don't mind Coca Cola being in the parks (and there is signage EVERYWHERE), but have a problem with Starbucks? Is it because you like Coke and not Starbucks?

Fangorn
06-20-2013, 06:36 PM

:ditto: This!

We wouldn't even have Disneyland if it hadn't been for the $17M that the fledgling American Broadcasting Company (ABC) gave to Walt to build the park in return for doing a little TV show for them called "Disneyland". A mutually beneficial move to say the least.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Starbucks, but their coffee is far superior to that Nescafe swill we've dealt with for decades.

Something to ponder... if we did away with the corporate sponsorships for food and beverage items, wouldn't we have to do away with Dole whips too? :D

Steve

Melanie
06-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Something to ponder... if we did away with the corporate sponsorships for food and beverage items, wouldn't we have to do away with Dole whips too? :D

Yes, Steve! This. Perfect example.

Scar
06-20-2013, 07:57 PM
There is an "app" to buy "coffee"?

Now, hating both, I would not normally care about either. But we have two universe’s colliding here. Someone please explain why this is necessary.

epceddie
06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
We don't patronize Starbucks up here (Dunkin Donuts and Honey Dew are much better imho), so we won't be slowing down to stop at the bakery entering or leaving the park. The only time we really drink coffee is for breakfast and we like the French-press at the Kona Cafe in the Polynesian.

joonyer
06-20-2013, 09:10 PM
I guess I don't get this. :shrug: You don't mind Coca Cola being in the parks (and there is signage EVERYWHERE), but have a problem with Starbucks? Is it because you like Coke and not Starbucks?

Sarcasm. ;)

Melanie
06-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Sarcasm. ;)

OH! Well that totally went over my head. Sorry! lol

Melanie
06-20-2013, 09:14 PM
There is an "app" to buy "coffee"?

Now, hating both, I would not normally care about either. But we have two universe’s colliding here. Someone please explain why this is necessary.

Yep. Best, most convenient thing ever. :D

Jared
06-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Couldn't agree more.

I didn't like it when they let in McDonalds and I don't like this either.

You must really hate visiting Walt Disney World, then. The entire resort is filled with signage for "huge corporations" and always has been. In fact, "huge corporations" used to be much more prominent then they are now. The lack of "huge corporations" is perhaps the primary cause of the parks' current problems.

Take a look at Casey's Corner the next time you're in the Magic Kingdom. There is a giant Coca-Cola logo on the facade. The same logo appears outside Cosmic Ray's, proving once and for all that there will still be Coke in the future.

Do you remember the attraction If You Had Wings? There was a functional Eastern Airlines counter at the end staffed by Eastern Airlines employees. How about Delta Dreamflight? The attraction was named for the "official airline of Walt Disney World."

Epcot was built on the back of corporate sponsors. Every pavilion in Future World had them. Some of them still do. The new Test Track is one gigantic advertisement for Chevrolet. Good thing, too -- Chevy footed much of the bill.

The point is that this is nothing new. Unfortunately, we've reached a point where Disney fans simply must complain about everything all the time no matter what happens. Starbucks isn't the problem.

Melanie
06-20-2013, 10:11 PM
The point is that this is nothing new.

Nope! Like I said, it's been a constant from the very beginning.

Mickey'sGirl
06-21-2013, 08:57 AM
This is how it is in the Starbucks located at my local Target. You can use your app to pay for Starbucks items, but cannot use Starbucks gift cards.You can't redeem Starbuck's rewards at the Target stores either ....

i'm grumpy
06-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I don't drink coffee and have never been to Starbuck's so not thrilled with the changes.

I hate how you have to stand up and eat at Casey's.

doodleboy
06-22-2013, 12:04 AM
I have no problem with the Starbucks coffee. I understand that corporations have been a big part of WDW since the beginning. I have my opinion on corporations good and bad, but that's another conversation. My loss here is really with the baked goods that I came to appreciate and look forward to when visiting. I know the cinnamon rolls are available elsewhere, as well as the ice cream sandwich being right next door, ( I hope I am right on that). But we often stopped there later in the evening for a treat and rested our tired bodies while everyone else scrambled for the exits. I am saddened by the reports of them serving the same baked goods I can get from the 4 Starbucks within a few miles of my house. Bring back the bakery goods that are reflective a traditional American bakery, not the dry tasteless loaves and scones that are mainly eaten out of that little bag they drop them in while driving or riding the train to work. Of course without any seating I guess this is the type of fair you have to serve, so guests can choke down a scone and guzzle a coffee while being hustled out of the bakery.

Sorry for the rant. Now go enjoy a latte and some dried out lemon loaf.:twocents:

cer
06-22-2013, 07:27 AM
I know the cinnamon rolls are available elsewhere, as well as the ice cream sandwich being right next door, ( I hope I am right on that).

I can confirm that the Plaza Ice Cream Shop is selling the hand-dipped ice cream cookie sandwiches. We got one last week.

thejens
06-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Have to say I agree with doodleboy.

Walt needed corporate money to fund his dream. This does not necessarily make for an enjoyable experience. I find that much of Epcot/innovations feels like a trade show. I think Walt would be horrified by much of the commercial garbage we are paying to participate in. Dole Whips, McDs, informercials for the Narnia movie, yawn, i put up with these for the inspired magic that is WDW.

I hate Hate the nescafe. I prefer real brewed coffee from Starbucks or elsewhere. Sure, put Starbucks in the food courts where it belongs. DTD, sure.

But Main Street Bakery??? Now a Starbucks???

That is just a failure of imagination.

AvonleaCF
06-24-2013, 01:14 PM
(and doesn't the ice cream parlor next door have a big sign saying "serving Edy's" or "sponsored by Edy's" or something like that?)

Melanie
06-24-2013, 02:22 PM
(and doesn't the ice cream parlor next door have a big sign saying "serving Edy's" or "sponsored by Edy's" or something like that?)

Fountainview at Epcot (where incidentally the new Starbucks is going) has a big Edy's sign. I can't remember about the one on Main Street.

Again, I have no issue with the corporations in the parks. And there are plenty enough treats for me around the resort to not miss certain offerings that used to be at the Bakery.

thejens
06-24-2013, 11:07 PM
I know I am one of the few that seem not to enjoy Downtown Disney, but at least I can avoid it. The reason I have been to WDW many times and never to Universal is because there is something magical about the attention to detail, the IMAGINATION utilized to create something UNIQUE. I have been to a lot of malls. I have dirven down a lot of highways and stopped at identical Wendys/McDonalds/Subways etc. I do not need pay a bunch of money to go to WDW brought to you by Starbucks/McDonalds/Edies/Walmart etc. If that happens the magic will be gone and so will I.

Sadly, I see this coming. Yes, Walt needed corporate sponsors, but the corporations back then needed Walt. They were small enough to want to truly innovate to be better and more competitive. Walt believed in a brighter future because he believed that imagination and innovation was valued and would be rewarded.

Sadly, he was mistaken. Corporations learned that it is easier to gobble up competition to monopolize and homogenize. Now the MEGA stores run America and I doubt there is much that can stop the profit wheel from churning WDW into another bland, mass produced, same in every location, bigger is better, more is better, higher priced is better, bloated pac-man style mall.

Sorry to be such a downer, but this really depresses me. :(

MargaretMessler
06-25-2013, 03:33 AM
This is how it is in the Starbucks located at my local Target. You can use your app to pay for Starbucks items, but cannot use Starbucks gift cards.

I used a Starbucks gift card at the local Target a few weeks back

Hammer
06-25-2013, 08:34 AM
I used a Starbucks gift card at the local Target a few weeks back

It seems that what you cannot use Starbucks rewards at the Disney Parks locations, but you are able to use Starbucks gift cards and the Starbucks phone application, according to some recent reports.

AgentC
06-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Yes, it has a sign that says Edy's Ice Cream on the outside and on the inside signs. The Town Square Theater has a presented by Kodak sign. Casey's has already been mentioned as having Coca Cola signage in several places. And even the Confectionery has J.M. Smucker listed on its sign.

I think they did a very nice job on the Bakery. It still looks appropriate to me

snowflakegirl
06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm not against the idea of Starbucks in the parks as long as the themeing is done correctly. I enjoy visiting my local Starbucks on occasion, however I am a little disappointed to lose the options of bakery treats in favor of the typical Starbucks baked goods that I can have any day. I used to dream about the Main Street Bakery's chocolate croissants and a highlight of every trip was getting one for breakfast to kick off my first morning in the Magic Kingdom...I will miss that tradition.

Melanie
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM
I think they did a very nice job on the Bakery. It still looks appropriate to me

:thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it!

Christine
06-25-2013, 06:54 PM
I don't mind the looks of it or the Starbucks verbage. But I'm VERY sad to say that the layered chocolate cake is gone and cannot be found anywhere else. :(
The pains of progress I guess ...

Pop Centurion
06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
I like Starbucks but I go to WDW to escape normal everyday life. I don't see much reason to visit the bakery anymore now that all my favorites are gone & replaced with items I can get at home.

Sylvia
06-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Steve

Good point.

This past year has helped me realize that life is way too short to get upset about things over which I have no control.

So I've developed a couple of habits - I skip certain posts that I know will be negative, and I won't allow myself to form an opinion about the changed bakery, until I actally see it for myself in August.

Renfairwedding
06-28-2013, 10:06 PM
I don't drink coffee but did enjoy the items in the bakery. Why not just replace the coffee and leave the other items.

Best of both worlds. Corporate sponsors with Disney's magical pixy dust sprinkled treats.

:mickey:

thejens
06-29-2013, 01:15 AM
And I'll be skipping the Starbucks/mall shops. I will head to the ice cream shop for the cookie ice cream sandwiches for now.

I am trying Harry Potter World this year for the first time. It seems extremely creative. Butterbeer cannot be ordered at any of the local shops near me. Just saying.

Melanie
06-29-2013, 04:47 AM
I am trying Harry Potter World this year for the first time. It seems extremely creative. Butterbeer cannot be ordered at any of the local shops near me. Just saying.

But there is a huge Starbucks, not at all themed, right next door at Universal Studios. I presume it will be staying, and will therefore be right around the corner from the new Harry Potter area.

It's not exclusive to Disney.

moe513
06-29-2013, 09:03 AM
what about the pastry that they sell at the BWI during the morning? I always thought that it was just BW Bakery stuff available inside the BWI. Will this change??? Also, what about the BWI concierge breakfast items?

Melanie
06-29-2013, 09:24 AM
what about the pastry that they sell at the BWI during the morning? I always thought that it was just BW Bakery stuff available inside the BWI. Will this change??? Also, what about the BWI concierge breakfast items?

:confused:

Are you asking if Starbucks is going in at the Boardwalk Bakery? If so, no it is not. Boardwalk Bakery just got a refurbishment itself and recently reopened, but it's not a Starbucks.

big blue and hairy
06-30-2013, 08:31 AM
If the BW bakery hasn't already, it will be serving Joffery's coffee. That is the new coffee at all the resorts, replacing Nescafé. It is a welcome change.

:sulley: