PDA

View Full Version : Disney Admits: Only Magic Kingdom is a Premium Park

BhamWriter
06-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Based on the disparity in one-day ticket prices between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom, it seems that Disney is finally admitting that only Magic Kingdom is a premium destination. The others are also-rans, unworthy of top dollar. Certainly, this message is not Disney's intention, but it is my cynical take-away.

Dulcee
06-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Certainly, this message is not Disney's intention, but it is my cynical take-away.

What they're trying to hit is the fact that while many people visit WDW and do it all, a large number come just for the quintessential disney effect that is the MK. Increase those tickets by $5 at a couple million guests a year and your talking a fairly significant boost in revenue.

To say its the only "premium" park is, I feel, very cynical. Personally I'd rather spend a full day in AK or Epcot to the MK...

Terra
06-17-2013, 09:07 AM
I much prefer a day at EPCOT or AK myself. I do love MK, but generally only when I'm with my sons. And mainly because I love to see it through their eyes. But when I go alone, I generally end up at EPCOT.

PopPhan
06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I think cynical sums it up nicely.

I wouldn't think a $5 difference in the ticket price would make me consider EP, AK & DHS "also rans," but rather that Disney is (finally) understanding that with the difference in numbers of visitors per year they can ask for a bit more for MK and not worry about losing visitors. If people aren't willing to ante up and extra $5 for a day ticket to MK, then they have 3 other parks they can visit. And with the opening of the FLE, this could keep crowds just the tiniest bit smaller. (Highly unlikely, but possible.)

BUT, in the scheme of things, who does this really effect? Cruise ship visitors who only have 12 hours in port? Local day trippers? Most visitors are 1) there for 4+ days and will have a MYW (Magic Your Way) pass, 2) an AP (Annual Passholder) visitor, 3) an FRP (Florida Resident Passholder) visitor.

Basic economics here -- the higher the demand, the higher the price.

TheDuckRocks
06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
I really don't think that it is because Disney thinks of MK as a "premium" park, but rather that it is highest traffic park. More bodies at 5 bucks a head equals more money for them.
Although we always spend at least one day at the MK, as our grandkids are now 15 & 18, EPCOT is the family favorite with the most days spent there.

1DisneyNut
06-17-2013, 09:20 AM
It is the most popular and therefore the "premium" park. It is the one must do park for probably at least over 90% of guests. The last two trips, we didn't even step foot in Animal Kingdom and the last trip we skipped Hollywood Studios. We always go to Magic Kingdom and usually go to Epcot but if we aren't going to do all the parks, it is usually a coin toss between Hollywood Studios and Epcot.

To be honest, at this point I couldn't care less if I ever go to Animal Kingdom again. If the tickets weren't sold in packages where you could go to all/any of the parks but instead you had to purchase specific tickets for each park; I would bet they would have a hard time selling Animal Kingdom tickets for $20 per day.

Dulcee
06-17-2013, 09:41 AM

To be honest, at this point I couldn't care less if I ever go to Animal Kingdom again.

I know this gets said again and again on these boards but I will never understand the AK hate..

Ms. Mode
06-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Nope, just the most popular by far. :)

PS. We LOVE AK!

Melanie
06-17-2013, 10:04 AM
I know this gets said again and again on these boards but I will never understand the AK hate..

Me either. It's grown on me so much through the years. It's a true 'theme' park.

Honestly, Epcot is still my premium destination in Florida, but I can somewhat understand the MK price increase.

Scar
06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Here's a question.

Is there anyone on these boards that even buys a 1 day/1 park pass?

I'd be interested in hearing their opinion.

Melanie
06-17-2013, 11:49 AM
Here's a question.

Not on these boards, I wouldn't think. We're pretty much all Disney geeks who either have APs, or do yearly weekly vacations with MYW passes or military salute tickets. We are definitely not the folks Disney intended this price increase for.

Mendelson
06-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Here's a question. Is there anyone on these boards that even buys a 1 day/1 park pass?

Not me...

BUT, last January I had a work event at WDW that allowed us (wife and 16-month old) to spend one day in a park. You can guess which one we chose (as we cringed at the ridiculous per-day cost compared to our usual five- or six-day tickets). So there's an example of how we don't usually do it but it can certainly play out even for the Intercot population.

And having to pay a few more bucks for MK wouldn't have changed my mind at all.

lawgirl
06-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Here's a question.

Let me preface this by saying I basically was at Disney right after I was born, and most every year since then. My dad was there on opening day at MK. So we are huge Disney fans and go alot. But lately, we have been doing the 1 park 1 day ticket. I used to buy the 10 day non-expiration park hoppers, but lately, its a big investment for us on the front end (even though I know it saves a ton of money. I'm looking into purchasing these again sometime in the near future). We don't live in FL, and we aren't eligible for military discounts, etc. I've thought about AP, and at some point we may do that option. For us, we enjoy being able to go 3 times a year, and usually just do 1 day at the parks, plus usually go around one of the party dates in Sept and Dec to get in MK as well, and the rest of the time just chill at the hotel and enjoy DD and the other resorts. Epcot is by far our favorite, but AK is a close second.

It may not make sense to other people, but its what we enjoy doing. I'd rather go 3 times a year, then one big long trip.

lawgirl
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
And, I forgot to mention I have 2 toddlers, so they are just as happy riding the bus around(my son is obsessed with the "Mickey bus") and riding the monorail than actually going to the parks. So for now, where we are in our lives, the 1 day 1 park pass is plenty of time for us in the parks. Im quite sure when my kids are older, we will look into the AP or 10 day park hoppers again.

Terra
06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
I will say, before I had children I did not understand the love of AK and really over looked many great things.
Now it has really grown on me and my sons [ages 5 and 6], have really made me see it in a new light. I LOVE it now! And would spend the day there alone.
There is really a lot to do there if you really plan it out and investigate.

Here's a question.

I know we don't. We are FL residents and do the APs. Typically only when family comes in from out of state or over seas, they buy a 1 day ticket to go with us.

Polynesian Dweller
06-17-2013, 02:16 PM

I don't get it either. It's not intended to be a thrill park but a park showing the animals. You go for what it is and its great.

Disney is not saying MK is the only premium park. It's just the highest demand because that's where the families with smaller kids go. For us Epcot is our premium park.

ILoveLegos
06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
Well ... I've purchased 1-day one park tickets in the past. You can always upgrade them to an annual pass while in the park that day and the price you pay for the one day park ticket is applied to the price of the annual pass.

The multiple times that I have done this in the past were based on the "spur of the moment decision" to visit WDW with my cousins. The decision really depended upon whether we wanted to split our theme park visits between Disney and the "other Orlando" area attractions or not.

Believe it or not, actually right now, for the first time in nearly 20 years I am not holding a current Disney World ticket (of any length) - I'm planning to vacation in Texas this year (1st time since 1997). Best of all, I'm planning to be in Japan next year. YAY!!! Say it with me ... Tokyo Disneyland & Disney Sea :mickey:

So if I found myself in my "home state away from home" right now, it would make sense for me to visit just a day or two. Epcot is my hands down favorite though, so I'd give that priority.

P.S. - I am also a big fan of Animal Kingdom - as long as it is not 100 degrees F and 100% humidity outside; it can be a very hot park to endure in July & August. :-o

MOJoe
06-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I think cynical sums it up nicely.

I wouldn't think a $5 difference in the ticket price would make me consider EP, AK & DHS "also rans," but rather that Disney is (finally) understanding that with the difference in numbers of visitors per year they can ask for a bit more for MK and not worry about losing visitors. If people aren't willing to ante up and extra $5 for a day ticket to MK, then they have 3 other parks they can visit. And with the opening of the FLE, this could keep crowds just the tiniest bit smaller. (Highly unlikely, but possible.)

BUT, in the scheme of things, who does this really effect? Cruise ship visitors who only have 12 hours in port? Local day trippers? Most visitors are 1) there for 4+ days and will have a MYW (Magic Your Way) pass, 2) an AP (Annual Passholder) visitor, 3) an FRP (Florida Resident Passholder) visitor.

Basic economics here -- the higher the demand, the higher the price.

I agree, but think this may effect more people than we realize. People who want a Disney vacation will certainly buy the MYW tickets, and likely stay at a Disney resort. But there are lots of visitors to Orlando that stay off site and visit the other area Theme parks. These people may only have one day in their schedule for Disney. And that means a trip to MK.
So Disney is not doing anything wrong by capturing those few extra dollars. Nor are they saying the other parks are less attractive. All they are saying is that if you are only going to spend one day in WDW and just going to MK, it's gonna cost a few buck more.

Lindsey
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM

I don't understand it either. AK has some of the best theme-ing in WDW. And I still hear/see people say "We are only there for a couple of hours then leave". It seems that some people only go on a couple of rides and skip everything else, they are totally missing the point of the park. I guess for me, and other guests who like to go on the animal trails, this is a good thing. They are never crowded, my husband and I always have pleasant walks and see lots of animals, (I love tigers!). :paw:

I spend most of my time at Epcot and AK. I do go to MK for a little bit, but often times skip DHS.

waymickey
06-18-2013, 08:45 AM
I get why disney is raing the Mk price and it by far my favorite park. For me it is Disney and I go everyday I am at Disney World.

As for AK - It is a few hour park for me, but mostly becuase I go in August and I feel that park is 10-20 degrees hotter than anywhere else. We have gone when it was so hot they gave away water bottles to everyone on the paths. They made you take it for fear of people having heat stroke. I love the themeing and the feel of the park but in August it just feels like a giant sponge infested with every biting insect on the planet.
DHS- If it wasn't for TSM and ToT I would not even go. This park has no flow and I don't like to even just walk around and soak in the sights. It needs a lot of love IMHO.

Katzateer
06-18-2013, 09:07 AM
I would not pay for a one day admission to AK and when we use our hopper we only visit in the morning. I think the theming is great and enjoy a few attractions and love the shows. But f we skip a park during a visit AK is it.

Used to think the studios was my favorite but not anymore- what I used to love about it is no more. I don't get the great movie/ Hollywood feel for it anymore. Loved being part of the filming of TV shows, the animators working and more interesting ( and longer) parades.

A lot of people avoid EPCOT for some reason- I would rate it a premium park. Most visitors are at WDW for the MK experience and an extra charge would not keep people away.

I work in retail and when customers use their Disney Visa or ave a WDW tshirt I ask about their last trip. The answers are surprising but I hold my tongue ad try not to give advice. But it is hard when they talk about not going to EPCOT because it is boring!

Ian
06-19-2013, 11:59 AM
The law of supply and demand pretty much dictated that, at some point, Disney charge a premium for MK. I'd be willing to bet than near 100% of day trippers ... the folks who are buying one day passes ... are buying a pass to use at MK. Disney would be foolish if they didn't capitalize on that demand.

To be honest, at this point I couldn't care less if I ever go to Animal Kingdom again. If the tickets weren't sold in packages where you could go to all/any of the parks but instead you had to purchase specific tickets for each park; I would bet they would have a hard time selling Animal Kingdom tickets for $20 per day.I agree. It actually annoys me that I have to pay for admission to Animal Kingdom whenever I buy a hopper or an AP. I'd prefer the option to customize a less expensive pass that didn't include AK since we never go there anyway.

I know this gets said again and again on these boards but I will never understand the AK hate..I wouldn't say I hate AK. The problem for me is ... all the "nahtazu" talk aside, it is a zoo. All everyone talks about is the theming and how pretty it is and all that, but at the end of the day there is precious little to actually do.

We just don't see it being worthwhile to invest an hour or so travel and schelpping each way to ride Everest and the Safari and then leave again.

At the end of the day, though, it's really just personal preference and what you like. If you like wandering and soaking in that type of atmosphere then AK is for you. It's just not for us. ;)

joonyer
06-19-2013, 04:08 PM
. . . I wouldn't say I hate AK. The problem for me is ... all the "nahtazu" talk aside, it is a zoo. All everyone talks about is the theming and how pretty it is and all that, but at the end of the day there is precious little to actually do.

We just don't see it being worthwhile to invest an hour or so travel and schelpping each way to ride Everest and the Safari and then leave again.

I have to come to the defense of AK a little bit. I admit up front maybe I'm biased since AK is one of my favorites parks, but there is quite a bit more "to actually do" than just Expedition Everest and the Kilimanjaro Safari.

There is also:
Dinosaur
Kali River Rapids (one of my favorites)
Festival of the Lion King ( one of the BEST Disney shows)
It's Tough to be a Bug (4-d show)
Finding Nemo show
Primeval Whirl (maybe not as cool as Expedition Everest, but still a lot of fun.)
Flights of Wonder bird show (really funny)
Mararajah Jungle Trek (admittedly like a zoo, but still very cool. Tigers!)
Pangani Forest Trail (see jungle Trek)
A really awesome, very colorful parade,
and the Flame tree BBQ. (yummy)
Tree of Life (fun to explore and investigate)
not to mention character meets and playgrounds and the Triceratop Spin for families with smaller ones.
Actually there is a lot to do and see if you are not in a hurry to get somewhere else.

True, there are not as many "rides" as there are at MK (same as for the other parks), but there's plenty to do if you are interested in something other than a "coaster" or moving attraction.

DizneyFreak2002
06-19-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm with Jooyner on this... DAK is actually WDW's best park, theme and beauty wise... Just need to remove the parade off your list.. After December, no more parade...

joonyer
06-19-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm with Jooyner on this... DAK is actually WDW's best park, theme and beauty wise... Just need to remove the parade off your list.. After December, no more parade...

Sorry to see it go, although not as technically elaborate as the MK parades, I always thought it was fun, with good music and lots of color. I guess it wasn't enough for most guests. Too bad.

Melanie
06-19-2013, 05:07 PM
True, there are not as many "rides" as there are at MK (same as for the other parks), but there's plenty to do if you are interested in something other than a "coaster" or moving attraction.

Exactly. It's a true "theme" park.

DizneyFreak2002
06-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Sorry to see it go, although not as technically elaborate as the MK parades, I always thought it was fun, with good music and lots of color. I guess it wasn't enough for most guests. Too bad.

Budget shifted around toward other things... Better things... Newer things...

PirateLover
06-20-2013, 12:18 AM
4 out of our last 5 trips, we have not set foot in AK. It is bottom of the rung for us. MK is definitely the top. It's the quintessential "Disney" park and the most fun for all ages.

I pretty much agree with Ian... there isn't much to interest us besides the Safari, Everest, and the animal trails. Dinosaur is fun, but not a must-do, and after having ridden Indiana Jones Adventure in Disneyland which is the same essential ride track, and is a MUCH better ride, we can't ride Dinosaur without thinking how much better it could be.

Not a fan at all of Tough to be a Bug, just a personal preference thing.

Triceratops spin? It's not much more than a wild mouse coaster that you find at any run-of-the-mill amusement park these days.

Kali River Rapids- it's well themed, but again, it's a large tube water ride. All of our local parks have one. Also, I hate walking around in drenched clothing, and you never know what you will get on that ride.

And as for the shows, my DH is not a big show person. I am, but for some reason I just couldn't get into Nemo, which everyone else seems to love.

Our last trip was the first time we visited in almost 6 years. It was hot, acorns fell on my head, and due to lack of signage, misdirection from a cast member, (and I guess our lack of experience visiting there), we ended up taking the path to Camp Minnie Mickey instead of the path to the exit! When we found ourselves dead-ended we just had to laugh.Add to this the fact that we've often had to travel during peak times where the park is extra congested, hot, and humid, and it's just not worthwhile for us most of the time.We are season pass holders at our local zoo and appreciate the beauty of nature but we probably won't be back to AK unless it is a chilly day on an off-season trip. :shrug:

CaptSmee
06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
I have bought 1 day tickets before & when your standing there in anticipation of getting in it doesn't matter what they charge you (don't tell Disney that :D )

cer
06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
I have to come to the defense of AK a little bit. I admit up front maybe I'm biased since AK is one of my favorites parks, but there is quite a bit more "to actually do" than just Expedition Everest and the Kilimanjaro Safari.

There is also:
Dinosaur
Kali River Rapids (one of my favorites)
Festival of the Lion King ( one of the BEST Disney shows)
It's Tough to be a Bug (4-d show)
Finding Nemo show
Primeval Whirl (maybe not as cool as Expedition Everest, but still a lot of fun.)
Flights of Wonder bird show (really funny)
Mararajah Jungle Trek (admittedly like a zoo, but still very cool.
Pangani Forest Trail (see jungle Trek)
A really awesome, very colorful parade,
and the Flame tree BBQ. (yummy)
Tree of Life (fun to explore and investigate)
not to mention character meets and playgrounds and the Triceratop Spin for families with smaller ones.
Actually there is a lot to do and see if you are not in a hurry to get somewhere else.

There is also the

Train out to Conservation Station and the new Wilderness Explorer activitiy. ----By the way, the wilderness explorer scavenger hunt thing can easily take hours. You have a book and go through the park 'earning' badges (read stickers), by doing activities or finding items. I think it's a good addition to this park, but I have older kids (14 and 12). The 12 year old was not interested (neither was his dad) and it was too much for me to get in and out of the backpack, find the pencil, read and find the location, do the activity, all while trying to do the rest of what we were planning to do at AK. It is geared toward the young and young at heart as the activities are not too difficult. I compare it to the Phineas and Ferb activities in Epcot or the Sorcerer game at MK. (also others that we as a family do not embrace) I like that these activites supplement the park experience, but I have found that if everyone in my party is not on board with the activity, it becomes a hassle.

I am not one to 'defend' AK or DHS - but I don't condemn them either. I have experienced pretty much all these have to offer and if I have to wait too long or am hot and tired, I can easily move on to the next. (actually, this is true of all the parks)

Last week when I was at AK, we ended up doing Everest twice, Safari, Nemo show (walk on!!!) we ate at Flametree BBQ, did the trail with the tigers and It's Tough to be a Bug. Also, we finally got to eat the Jalepeno Cheese Pretzel. We shopped at the two big stores there and we were pretty much done after that. There was a lot that we did not do - but we were ok with that.

AndrewJackson
06-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Based on the disparity in one-day ticket prices between the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, Studios, and Animal Kingdom, it seems that Disney is finally admitting that only Magic Kingdom is a premium destination. The others are also-rans, unworthy of top dollar. Certainly, this message is not Disney's intention, but it is my cynical take-away.

At these prices, they are all considered premium. Now, Disney is admitting that MK is ... wait for it ... Premium+. ;)

#1donaldfan
06-26-2013, 02:25 PM
I love AK !! It is so ornate, so incredibly intricate in it's design to even the sidewalks.....it's a sight to see, plus the attactions keep me going ..... to each his own, it's a great park !!:mickey:

Stu29573
06-26-2013, 06:40 PM
My favorite parks run in order of their opening....except that now AK is actually a bit better than DHS... Ok, maybe more than a bit....