PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside or Caribbean Beach

MomX2
06-15-2013, 08:29 PM
We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside several times and we really like it there! However, We would like to try another moderate resort but we don't want to be disappointed. Any good advice?

Strmchsr
06-15-2013, 09:02 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!

You can't go wrong with any of the moderates. They're all beautiful. CBR is pretty spread out like POR is. It has the best pool, especially kids pool, of the moderates. POFQ is my favorite because it's small, has a "romantic" feel to it and it's jazz themed (and I play jazz). CS is also very nice and has a great restaurant. So, it really boils down to theming and which one you like best - Caribbean, New Orleans, or South American. You'll enjoy any of them.

Scott C
06-15-2013, 10:48 PM
As you can see by my signature, I have been to POR quite a few times. We did cbr one time. Nothing wrong with it per se, but I just spent the whole week wishing I was back at POR. I did really like the pool though

Thanks
Scott c

garymacd
06-16-2013, 08:33 AM
We have stayed at almost all of the moderates except Coronado Springs. I think they all have their charms, positives and negatives. Our favourite is POFQ for its intimacy, size, ease of getting around and general jazz theming.

POR is second, well, just because it isn't POFQ really. It is a bit more spread out and larger than POFQ but still very nice. We have stayed in both the Bayou and Mansions.

Our least favourite is CBR. We love the theming of the resort. The food and pool are great. Our main drawback is the sheer size of the place. I think there are seven bus stops and we always seemed to be at the last bus stop, so we could never get a seat (more important for my beloved wife than me) and we were always the last off the bus.

Having said that, it is the only real thing that detracts from the resort. I really think you should try it and see how you feel about it. If nothing else, it's one less thing on the bucket list.

AgentC
06-16-2013, 09:13 AM
:welcome:

I have stayed at all the moderates. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them but everyone has their favorites.

When my children were younger, our favorite was Port Orleans French Quarter. I like the French Quarter atmosphere (if you don't include the masks in the food court. They make some of ICOT members :scared: ) A plus there with smaller kids was the small size of the resort.

I really like POR. The southern theme works for me. The Royal rooms are beautiful and I think it has the best food court of all the moderates and the cutest store.

Coronado Springs always feels really big to me but it is beautiful. My favorite section is Cabanas which keeps you close to the main area as well as the pool. I really like the "beach" areas with the hammocks. You can sit and enjoy the lake view. It also has an excellent pool and the best playground for a moderate.

Caribbean Beach is my least favorite. Although most of the moderates are spread out, CBR felt very big to me. I didn't like have one place to check in and then all the amenities in a different spot. This is the only resort where I did use the internal bus to get a around. We did a pirate room here so we were in the area furthest away from everything. The pool is great . It has two slides and the kiddie area is the best of all the moderates. My one dislike of the pool area was a lack of shade. I know people who adore CBR so it is definitely worth checking out, it might be perfect for you.

buzznwoodysmom
06-16-2013, 10:12 AM
We love CBR! It's our favorite moderate. POR was our least favorite resort. What we love about CBR is the tropical feel. We love having a tropical/Beachy feeling resort when we visit in the summer, and the poly and BC/YC aren't always in the cards for us. CBR is a good alternative when we want that tropical feel.

azcavalier
06-16-2013, 10:41 AM
We also love POR, but if you haven't been to CBR, then do it! You won't know until you try it!

Quadstriker
06-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Stayed at POR a couple times, then tried CB.

Would prefer POR.

Plus Yeehaw Bob is there.

mom2morgan
06-16-2013, 09:35 PM
We also didn't like CBR - but I'm not sure it was because there is anything "wrong" with it. We have always stayed at POR so it just didn't feel like "home". Objectively, I didn't think the food court was as good, and it was not as nice not having a boat to DTD. I also missed the lounge and piano Bob at POR. However, my husband really liked the hammocks on the beach. The main pool is different theming, but otherwise exactly as good. One odd thing is that the check in desk is in a separate building, and far away from the other "main" building. It seems even more spread out that POR so I'd definitely consider a "preferred" location. The rooms are differently themed, and I though I would like that - but they are otherwise identical so it really didn't make any difference. As for the vegetation - yes, more "tropical" but both were equally lush...and I liked the river at POR better than the tiny "lake" at CBR. If it were me, I'd probably still do it just to try it out and see what I thought for myself...but now that we've done that, we'll stick with POR and not be back to CBR.

brownie
06-17-2013, 05:07 PM
:welcome:

MomX2, welcome to INTERCOT!

Laughin' place
06-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I have stayed at CBR two or three times, and really liked it. Ive always liked the tropic beachy vibe there. POFQ is intimate and romantic, and so much smaller.
This Nov is my first stay at POR, and Im looking for advice on Mansions vs Bayou, which buildings to prefer, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MomX2
06-21-2013, 01:50 PM
We have stayed in both at POR. We liked The Bayou better than the Mansions. We like the preferred buildings. They are close to the pool and food court.

WDWgoofy
06-23-2013, 09:45 AM
We have stayed at both resorts and we preferred CBR by far.

When we stayed at POR we located on the far-side (parking lot) of the mansions area which was quite remote -- I believe this was critical to making the visit less enjoyable and less magical.

Conversely, rooms during visits to CBR have been well located.

AvonleaCF
06-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Stayed at POR twice and CB once. Greatly preferred POR.

-- Enjoyed the decor of POR far more.
-- CB too spread out.
-- CB themeing didn't impress us as much.
-- POR has a boat option to DTD whereas CB is bus only. Nice to have an alternative once in a while.

Obviously you can't go wrong either way, and some could argue the themeing at CB is better than POR, but it all comes down to preference.

DisneyEpcotDad
06-25-2013, 06:07 PM
:mickey: I think you can't go wrong with either CBR and PORiverside. I've stayed at both. The themed areas at CBR can be appealing especially if you have kids. They have private beaches at each themed area which can be nice. Yeah, it's large but if you like to go for walks or jogging, it is a good place to do both!:mickey: