PDA

View Full Version : Extra Adventure in AK?

mickeys_princess_mom
06-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't know if we would hear about it if it happened, but does anyone know if one of the animals has ever escaped from its area in Animal Kingdom, bringing a little 'extra adventure' to guests and CMs? My DH and I were just talking about this and wondering....

:gator: :monkey: :elephant:

BuddyL4
06-14-2013, 10:21 PM
I don't think the animals would dare escape otherwise they may end up at the Flame Tree BBQ!:chef:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-14-2013, 11:17 PM
I don't think the animals would dare escape otherwise they may end up at the Flame Tree BBQ!:chef:

Oh, hush! ;) Though I must say--they probably know when they have it good! Living pretty large there with lots of attention!
:vacation:

tiggerbuddy
06-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Aren't there craters or spaces between the different scenes so the animals cant escape ?

mickeys_princess_mom
06-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Aren't there craters or spaces between the different scenes so the animals cant escape ?

Yes, I know, but sometimes critters find a way...Has happened other places, but I'm sure Disney has it down. Just idle wondering. :mickey:

Pirate Granny
06-15-2013, 12:39 PM
We did have to wait one time as an antalope (sp) had crossed somehow into the wrong area...we were the first truck to see...had to stop, they radio into wherever and they came by truck with prods and food to usher the animal back into the proper pen...had to put something down over those chains that separate the areas so the animal would cross...not sure how it managed to cross over in the first place....took 30 minutes...very interesting. Was over by the flamingo pond.

WDWdriver
06-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes, it has happened. There is even a special radio code for "animal escape". But an escape is rare.

A while ago the cotton cop tamarins near the Tree of Life would find ways to get out of their enclosure.

And one of the cheetahs was once discovered by a safari driver where it didn't belong. It has made an amazing leap across the containment barrier. The cheetahs were kept "off show" for a couple of weeks while the containment was rebuilt.

In truth, most of the animals are unlikely to enter any of the guest areas, even if they could. They would much rather be with their own kind, and as far from us humans as possible. Can you blame them?

mickeys_princess_mom
06-15-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, it has happened. There is even a special radio code for "animal escape". But an escape is rare.

A while ago the cotton cop tamarins near the Tree of Life would find ways to get out of their enclosure.

And one of the cheetahs was once discovered by a safari driver where it didn't belong. It has made an amazing leap across the containment barrier. The cheetahs were kept "off show" for a couple of weeks while the containment was rebuilt.

In truth, most of the animals are unlikely to enter any of the guest areas, even if they could. They would much rather be with their own kind, and as far from us humans as possible. Can you blame them?

Can't blame them at all! Thanks for these stories--just the interesting tales/tails ;) I was wondering about! :D

WDWdriver
06-15-2013, 08:29 PM
And as far as encountering animals in the guest areas, you are much more likely to find those that are not Disney creatures. I have personally seen alligators and cottonmouth snakes in guest areas. The birds (egrets, ibis and herons) that you see along the pathways are there by choice, not brought in by Disney. And at night the rustling noises from the bushes could be almost anything, including foxes, raccoons and armadillos.

There is a double fence around AK. It is designed not so much to keep Disney's animals in, but more to keep Florida's animals out!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-16-2013, 10:02 PM
And as far as encountering animals in the guest areas, you are much more likely to find those that are not Disney creatures. I have personally seen alligators and cottonmouth snakes in guest areas. The birds (egrets, ibis and herons) that you see along the pathways are there by choice, not brought in by Disney. And at night the rustling noises from the bushes could be almost anything, including foxes, raccoons and armadillos.

There is a double fence around AK. It is designed not so much to keep Disney's animals in, but more to keep Florida's animals out!

Haha, yes, I've read the posts about gators and snakes---unbelievable how many stories that post brought! Now I am jumpy when walking along the resort paths. Snakes, not gators. Just cannot take the snake thoughts.

thejens
06-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Do ducks in the swimming pools count? :)

mickeys_princess_mom
06-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Do ducks in the swimming pools count? :)

;) Maybe. We encountered a duck invasion at Casey's Corner in the Magic Kingdom...They just waltzed in and REALLY made themselves at home, lol.