PDA

View Full Version : Riverside Advice Needed: Location and other tips for surprise engagement trip please

Laughin' place
06-10-2013, 03:26 PM
I will be taking my girlfriend to the World on 11/12 for our first joint trip - and I plan on proposing while there.
This is my first time at Riverside. Please recommend which building to prefer, which to avoid, and any other tips or tricks from POR vets. THANKS :thumbsup:

Strmchsr
06-10-2013, 03:53 PM
For the best experience, especially something like this, I would recommend going a little extra and getting a Royal Room. They are definitely worth it!

Itchy
06-10-2013, 05:00 PM
For a nice romantic experience I would recommend the carriage ride.

I always thought that the river early in the morning before the boats started running were beautiful, just like glass reflecting the building and surroundings.

There are some very nice benches along the river that are very quiet and relaxing.

I think the Royal rooms would be nice, but have not been in them yet.

Good luck on the proposal...

mom2morgan
06-10-2013, 05:11 PM
ooohh...have you decided where/when to propose? That might be a nice thing to do on a carriage ride. If you decide to, make sure you book it before you leave home! You can even get a bottle of wine to take with you on the ride. Just make sure you let them know AHEAD of time what you are planning to do - sometimes the carriage drivers are very chatty, which wouldn't be good in THIS situation ;-) I second the Royal Room!

dobby2010
06-10-2013, 05:13 PM
That is so sweet! We will be at POR arriving the same day if you need any help! :) good luck!

Genie1953
06-10-2013, 05:31 PM
We have stayed in the Oak Manor building twice and loved it. It is close to the main building via a short walk across a bridge. Ask for a corner room. They have a king bed and two windows. The other rooms only have one window. Also ask if you can get a river view. We were there for our 30th wedding anniversary a couple years ago. We had asked for a river view room as our main request with secondary request of corner room. We got there and they had our river view room but no corner room. When we explained it was our anniversary trip they checked with the supervisor and with only a 30 minute wait we had our corner room with river view. It was awesome!

thads
06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Okay, so I am a guy who likes to fish and I am a little crazy.. Your fiance may not be as impressed, but I would totally take her cane pole fishing at Ol' Man Island and attach the ring to the fish hook. Can you imagine how surprised she will be to see the a ring dangling off of the hook. I would use some string to tie the ring on. It would take a little work, but I am sure the cast member there at the pole rental place will help you out.

If you did not know this, the fishing location is actually located on Ol' Man Island in the middle of the resort.

If she hates fishing, I would stick with the carriage ride idea.

Pirate Granny
06-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Thad's...cute idea...you'll be a good catch yourself!

Wolf
06-11-2013, 09:24 AM
POR Is beautiful! There are some amazing walk-ways between there and POFQ so maybe just some nightime wandering could be very romantic as well but I def agree with the carriage ride, we saw them come by a few times during out POFQ stay (When we would wander over to POR to eat) and they are amazingly beautiful!

As someone who's always secretly hoped for a WDW proposal I say she's a very lucky girl, GOOD LUCK!!!

Genie1953
06-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Here is another thought! Several years ago we were at Magic Kingdom and in line for a Photopass pic in front of the castle. A young couple were in front of us and getting their picture taken. Next thing we know the young man drops to one knee and asked her to marry him while the photographer kept snapping pictures. Of course those of us who witnessed this gave them a huge round of applause. All in all it was a very touching moment for them and all of us around at the time. The young man told us later that he had taken a pic of the Photopass card and emailed it to his home and work emails just in case he lost his Photopass card. His fiancé later told us she couldn't have asked for a better proposal and to have it recorded in professional pics made it even better! I think the young man must have told the photographer what he was going to do.

#1donaldfan
06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
I love the AB section. I would request either building 14 or 18. They are preferred, but so much closer to the main building and busses.

I love the idea about the carriage ride proposal. I would call ahead and get ideas from the CM's who probably have seen 100's of them done on the carriages ....:thumbsup:

dixielandings
06-11-2013, 05:22 PM
I also prefer AB. And I agree with the PP who said this whole place is beautiful and romantic, especially at night with the walkways being lit up by the lamplight. It's also pretty quiet all around.

My DH proposed to me in the Italy pavillion at Epcot during dinner, with IllumiNations going on outside. There are about a million and one creative and memorable ways to propose at WDW! Let the Cast know what you're doing - they are usually VERY accomodating when it comes to stuff like this. Best wishes to you both and many congratulations!

Laughin' place
06-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Id like more input on the choice of Mansions vs Alligator Bayou.
I am going to pass on the Princess rooms, as they have two queen beds and I would prefer one king :thumbsup:
As for "popping the question", thank you all for the good ideas. I have decided on the following, tell me what you think:
Our first day we will be dinning at Cinderellas Royal Table for a surprise , first night, special dinner. At dessert, a CM will come out and tell her that the chef has prepared a special dessert, which will be brought out to her on a covered silver platter. Under the platter will be an engraved glass slipper with the ring.... :secret:

DisneyDawgette
06-19-2013, 09:32 PM
As for "popping the question", thank you all for the good ideas. I have decided on the following, tell me what you think:
Our first day we will be dinning at Cinderellas Royal Table for a surprise , first night, special dinner. At dessert, a CM will come out and tell her that the chef has prepared a special dessert, which will be brought out to her on a covered silver platter. Under the platter will be an engraved glass slipper with the ring.... :secret:

Umm, YES. Great idea. :) :cloud9:

azcavalier
06-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Something else you might want to look at doing is to contact the Disney Floral & Gifts department. They have packages prepared for special occasions. We were there for our anniversary in April, and I had them come in a leave a dozen roses, chocolates, embroidered towels, a spa basket, and they covered the floor in rose petals and even made a rose petal "heart" on the bed. My wife loved it.

http://www.disneyflorist.com/

They have all kinds of stuff they'll put in the room to surprise someone.

Grace
06-23-2013, 07:52 AM
I hope you can post the results of this brilliant plan!:D Love the glass slipper in the castle idea. And POR is so romantic and peaceful, (it's our sentimental favorite), you'll have a lovely time there. Kudos to your romantic side.

Grace