PDA

View Full Version : East Coast Extravaganza!

buzznwoodysmom
06-10-2013, 12:05 PM
In a few weeks my little crew will be back on the road for another summer adventure. We are going on a 3 week (or more) East Coast Extravaganza!

This whole trip came to be because DH has a 2 week military course to take in New Jersey. We decided to drive so that we can see a few places along the way and so that we only have to rent one car once we arrive. DH will have a rental to use to get him to classes, while the kids and I will use my car to travel around the area while DH is in class.

We are starting off with a full two days of driving. We plan to take it slow, stopping anywhere that might interest us for an hour or so here and there. We should arrive in Baltimore, Maryland in the early afternoon and will be meeting our usual travel companions, sister in law and her family. We plan to do the Medieval Times dinner show that night. Kids request!

Then we'll spend 2 nights in DC with sister in law's family. We are booked right in DC, just blocks from everything. We are limited on the time we have in DC, and it's the 4th of July while we are there, but we plan to make the most of it and are super excited to spend the 4th in DC.

The plan was to then travel to Hershey, Penn. But the two nights we were supposed to be there One Direction is having concerts, both nights. And both nights have sold out. We couldn't find a hotel closer than 45 minutes to an hour from Hershey. Instead we'll spend our time in Amish Country, Gettysburg, and Philadelphia.

DH has to report to Fort Dix by Sunday evening, so we'll arrive there that day. Sister in law and her family will head south to Gatlinburg on that day.

The first week in NJ will mostly be just the boys and I traveling in and around the state, and doing a few things we've found on post. We plan to make our way to the Poconos one day. We also want to do at least one beach day. We'd like to visit Cape May, New Jersey, then stop at different beach towns up the coast till we've had enough beach going. There are a few places I've looked into, but nothing is set in stone. We do plan to spend most of the Saturday back in Philly, where I will pick up my mom at the airport that afternoon. She'll be with us for the second week in NJ, and will ride back home with us.

Sunday we have plans to meet a wonderful family for a day in NYC. She is a member of Intercot and we've become great friends over the years, but have never met in person. Lisa and her family plan to meet us and "show us the town". Can't wait to meet them and to spend a day in NYC. It's always been a dream of mine to visit New York one day. DH will have his one and only free day this day so he will be able to join us.

Our last week in NJ will be spent venturing out a bit more. My mom and I plan to take a few days to do a road trip with the kids. We would like to see as many states in the area as possible, and plan to do one night in Boston for sure. We would also like to see if we can visit Niagara Falls, or maybe visit Stowe, Vermont. No definite plans have been set, but we plan to take off early one morning and keep going till we are ready to return to NJ, spending a few nights in different locations along the way. We'd also like to build in another day trip to NYC during our last few days in NJ.

When DH gets released we plan to spend a few days doing stuff along the drive home. We may hit Hershey at that time since we won't be visiting on our way in as originally planned. We may also head back to DC, since my mom won't be with us when we visit DC, and she's always wanted to go. We are also hoping to drive through some of the Appalachian Mountains, possibly stopping in Asheville, North Carolina for a night. We toured the Biltmore Estate years ago, and loved it so much we've always said we wanted to go there again. We may have that location as our last stopping point before the last leg home. There is so much to do in that area. We will try to visit Sliding Rock Park, another favorite of my kids. And DH wants to have lunch in Memphis, Tennessee on our way home.

I am sure some of these plans may change, and nothing is definite. We just want a fun, somewhat spontaneous, few weeks to explore a part of our country we've never seen before. Can't wait to report back on what we were able to do and see!

Hammer
06-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Denise, your plans sound great! I would love to have met you as I live 20 minutes from McGuire/Ft. Dix but unfortunately I'm out of town you NJ/Philly week (7/6-7/13). Maybe we can try and get together your 2nd week if you do any other South Jersey/Philadelphia things.

One thing I wanted to mention is the Philadelphia Phillies offer Military Dates throughout the season where military get discounts on tickets. 2 of those dates fall during when you are visiting, July 5th and July 8th. From the Phillies website:

All active members of the military as well as veterans, their families and friends can receive a special ticket discount to cheer on the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park during select dates.

To help honor members of the military, there is an $8 discount off tickets regularly priced $38 and under. ...enter the promotion code MILITARY to take advantage of this special offer.

That price range covers many seating levels; go to the Phillies website to see what is available.

buzznwoodysmom
06-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Denise, your plans sound great! I would love to have met you as I live 20 minutes from McGuire/Ft. Dix but unfortunately I'm out of town you NJ/Philly week (7/6-7/13). Maybe we can try and get together your 2nd week if you do any other South Jersey/Philadelphia things.

One thing I wanted to mention is the Philadelphia Phillies offer Military Dates throughout the season where military get discounts on tickets. 2 of those dates fall during when you are visiting, July 5th and July 8th. From the Phillies website:

That price range covers many seating levels; go to the Phillies website to see what is available.

Christine, I would love to see if we can meet up somehow!

And thanks for the military discount info. We may have to look into that for the 5th! DH first day of classes are on the 8th so that won't work. We planned to be near Gettysburg on the 5th, but we may be able to change things up a bit. Thanks again!

January-2007
06-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Hope you have a wonderful road trip!

Katzateer
06-10-2013, 10:15 PM
When you are in Amish country don't forget Longwood Gardens is not far from Philly. Sounds like a fun trip.